My experience with an at-home 15% TCA peel (pictures before, during and after)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my god, those are some results! These peels never worked well for me :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Or maybe im too old for them 
rolleyes.gif

Originally Posted by Chirpyalice /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh my god, those are some results! These peels never worked well for me :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Or maybe im too old for them 
rolleyes.gif

lol age doesn't matter, maybe you didn't use the correct prep regimen?

Andi - I must say, you have beautiful skin to begin with.

With that said, I too have just done a TCA peel, but I did a 12.5%, just one layer.

It was my first on and I did it on Saturday night.  Tomorrow will be day 4 and I have yet to peel.  My forehead and cheek skin looks the exact same though, very tight and wrinkly and shiny.

How long did it take before your forehead and cheeks peeled??  I'm hoping mine does soon because it's hard to even eat or move my mouth still.

Originally Posted by orchid2684 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

With that said, I too have just done a TCA peel, but I did a 12.5%, just one layer.

It was my first on and I did it on Saturday night.  Tomorrow will be day 4 and I have yet to peel.  My forehead and cheek skin looks the exact same though, very tight and wrinkly and shiny.

How long did it take before your forehead and cheeks peeled??  I'm hoping mine does soon because it's hard to even eat or move my mouth still.
My forehead peeled rather quickly, the peeling started at day 4 I think. My cheeks were always the last to peel, sometimes not until day 6. I know you get really impatient cause you want the dead skin to come off and see the results, but this process just varies (depending on your skin, on the prep regimen etc). If your skin is so tight that eating or moving your mouth is hard then the skin is probably going to crack soon since anything around your mouth is under constant movement which the tight skin can't handle for too long. That's what happened to me when I took a big bite out of this large apple, the tight skin on my chin just cracked open which was a very strange feeling 

Originally Posted by Andi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by orchid2684 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My forehead peeled rather quickly, the peeling started at day 4 I think. My cheeks were always the last to peel, sometimes not until day 6. I know you get really impatient cause you want the dead skin to come off and see the results, but this process just varies (depending on your skin, on the prep regimen etc). If your skin is so tight that eating or moving your mouth is hard then the skin is probably going to crack soon since anything around your mouth is under constant movement which the tight skin can't handle for too long. That's what happened to me when I took a big bite out of this large apple, the tight skin on my chin just cracked open which was a very strange feeling 

yes I am getting very impatient, but my chin has started to peel, just like a sunburn does.  I have been applying aloe vera along with Argan Oil when needed.   I can tell my forehead and cheeks are just dying to peel, but they are being stubborn.  LOL

Tomorrow is day 4, let's hope the cheeks peel faster.  I see my boyfriend on Friday, I don't want him thinking my skin is falling off. 

Andi, your skin is gorgeous!  Thank you for explaining your process to us and posting the pictures (however painful they look, LOL!).  I have super sensitive skin, so I probably wouldn't try them (I get by with mild retinols each night, and a light scrub in the morning), but it's so awesome to see your results.

Originally Posted by LisaF1163 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Andi, your skin is gorgeous!  Thank you for explaining your process to us and posting the pictures (however painful they look, LOL!).  I have super sensitive skin, so I probably wouldn't try them (I get by with mild retinols each night, and a light scrub in the morning), but it's so awesome to see your results.

oh yeah, this isn't for sensitive skin I think (especially if you do it yourself). I think the pictures show that even if your skin looks scary during a peel of this strength it doesn't mean that you "burnt" yourself or that your skin will scar (if you follow proper aftercare)

Hi Andi!

Your skin looks so clear! I love it. My face was really clear but recently for the past couple months, ive been breaking out and i have very fare skin so when i break out its noticable and i end up getting those dark spots. Now they're starting to fade away, but i still have a pink pigmentation i would like to get rid of.  I actually got a peel a couple years ago, but since i dont use it often they used the lowest % on me. My question is how many peels would i need to get to see results and after your skin starts flaking, what type of lotion should i use?

Thanks!

-Nicole

Originally Posted by Nicole86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi Andi!

Your skin looks so clear! I love it. My face was really clear but recently for the past couple months, ive been breaking out and i have very fare skin so when i break out its noticable and i end up getting those dark spots. Now they're starting to fade away, but i still have a pink pigmentation i would like to get rid of.  I actually got a peel a couple years ago, but since i dont use it often they used the lowest % on me. My question is how many peels would i need to get to see results and after your skin starts flaking, what type of lotion should i use?

Thanks!

-Nicole
I would start with something gentle like lactic or glycolic acid. Depending on how dark & stubborn your spots are, you should need at least 2 peels to see results. With these peels, you wouldn't/shouldn't get actual visible peeling! Peeling/flaking isn't absolutely necessary for the effect that will take place. TCA peels sometimes don't make you peel if the % is low.

You might not even need an actual peel though, maybe start out with a 8-10% glycolic acid leave on product (Alpha Hydroxy has great value for money!) instead and see if you get improvement with that.

I suggest you go step by step, from gentle to harsher treatments. A chemical exfoliant leave on product first, then maybe a 2% hydroquinone cream (over the counter) if you don't get enough improvement. If you're still not happy, then venture into peels. That's what I did, I got steady improvement from daily chemical exfoliants, at home microdermabrasion etc, but some spots just didn't imrpove enough. It wasn't until I hit an improvement plateau that I decided to do TCA peels that have some social downtime and the obvious peeling/flaking.

If you do decide to try a TCA peel at some point, the appropriate aftercare after the peeling has ended is a very mild moisturizer like CerVe or Cetaphil at night and an SPF of at least 30 daily to prevent hyperpigmentation on your freshly peeled skin. It's hard to say how many peels you will need because it depends on what your expectations are! It's good to wait a bit after the peeling has ended, wait until the microswelling goes down (which can make your skin looks better than it actually does, as it can temporarily "plump up" indented acne scars etc) to assess the final result. Don't try to achieve too much at once, because the skin does undergo steady remodelling for weeks after the peel so you gotta wait for your skin to "heal itself" before you decide to do another peel.

Thanks! & Where can i purchase this stuff. I know a lot of over the counter stuff does not work for me.

Originally Posted by Nicole86 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks! & Where can i purchase this stuff. I know a lot of over the counter stuff does not work for me.

I get all my peeling solutions at makeupartistschoice.com (they carry glycolic, lactic, salicylic, Jessner's & TCA peels in various strengths)

You can e-mail them with any questions you may have, they have always been very helpful IMO. Also, the peel kits come with helpful instructions!

Above my upper lip I had discoloration making it look like I had a mustache. I'm sure from licking my lips. Anyway I did a little research (very scared I'm black)  to do a at home chemical peel. We had some wart removal cream at home that I used. I did go over board and used it 3x on the first, second and third day. Lucky me no adverse results! The only area that peel was the discolored part. I have been using 2x a week now since I'm no longer in a rush. It's almost completely gone. 

I put just enough on the discolored part let it sit for up to 5 minutes (when I was strong enough but I read you to let it sit for one minute at least) 

I mixed warm water with baking soda. I wipe the gel off with the mixture. 

I personally kept Vaseline on it. I hate the flakes

Only that are peeled. My husband doesn't notice it but I still do and I'm not stopping until it's completely gone. 

I forgot the brand. If I find it I will let you know. People have used this to treat acne scars and age spots. 

I took pictures of myself and my son but I hated the look so much I deleted. I possibly have a picture near the end stage. If I find it (I have tons of unlabeled pics on my cpu) I will upload it to show you last week vs this week

Originally Posted by coryswife89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Above my upper lip I had discoloration making it look like I had a mustache. I'm sure from licking my lips. Anyway I did a little research (very scared I'm black)  to do a at home chemical peel. We had some wart removal cream at home that I used. I did go over board and used it 3x on the first, second and third day. Lucky me no adverse results! The only area that peel was the discolored part. I have been using 2x a week now since I'm no longer in a rush. It's almost completely gone. 

I put just enough on the discolored part let it sit for up to 5 minutes (when I was strong enough but I read you to let it sit for one minute at least) 

I mixed warm water with baking soda. I wipe the gel off with the mixture. 

I personally kept Vaseline on it. I hate the flakes

Only that are peeled. My husband doesn't notice it but I still do and I'm not stopping until it's completely gone. 

I forgot the brand. If I find it I will let you know. People have used this to treat acne scars and age spots. 

I took pictures of myself and my son but I hated the look so much I deleted. I possibly have a picture near the end stage. If I find it (I have tons of unlabeled pics on my cpu) I will upload it to show you last week vs this week
I have heard of those wart removal creams (they don´t sell them here in Europe though I think?) but I wouldn´t use anything like that on my face. I wonder what´s actually in these creams

I had love TCA peels! My favorite and the one that gave me the best results was the GORGEOUS peel from Ezpeel.net

I love it because i do it at bedtime and i can apply mineral makeup the next day and go to work without having to worry about the downtime. 

They also have a great Body peel that i used to remove unwanted dark brownish spot that I got from to much sun. Now my skin is even and I love it!

I probably missed it, so if i did, sorry in advance. When you do a second application of the acid, how long do you leave that on for? I assume another five minutes on top of the five that have already gone by, right?  and frosting is wanted? I'm new to these things, I just did a low acid peel a few weeks ago, i think 12%, I'm going up to the 18 soon. The 12 didn't do much of anything for me, just some light flaking after lots of tightening. Sort of was  a bummer, I thought, "What, am i all leather?"
icon_cry.gif

Great informative thread.  I loved that you included pictures, so we can see the process.  Thanks

Originally Posted by 1hourcommute /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I probably missed it, so if i did, sorry in advance. When you do a second application of the acid, how long do you leave that on for? I assume another five minutes on top of the five that have already gone by, right?  and frosting is wanted? I'm new to these things, I just did a low acid peel a few weeks ago, i think 12%, I'm going up to the 18 soon. The 12 didn't do much of anything for me, just some light flaking after lots of tightening. Sort of was  a bummer, I thought, "What, am i all leather?"
icon_cry.gif
yes, I did leave the 2nd layer on for about 5 additional minutes (it can be washed off earlier if an even coat of frosting appears sooner). I´m honestly still not sure if frosting is always necessary to get good results (I´ve heard yes and no from people on forums that have done TCA peels. A professional´s opinion would be nice of course). I know that frosting should be the end point of a TCA peel (meaning no additional layers after you get a decent amount of frosting), but I think you can still get results even if you get no or just little frosting.

So you said you did a 12% TCA peel? With lower percentage peels, single layer application and no prep regimen it´s very typical to only get mild flaking - your skin won´t come off in sheets. In addition, one peel of 12% strength will not give you dramatic results. As with any peel, multiple sessions will help improve your skin.

I went through a bit of trial and error with my prep regimen (I realized I have quite tough skin) after I experienced what you´re describing. I only got mild flaking, but it lasted for 10 days which was so annoying! It´s just more satisfying to see a bunch of skin peel off and be done with it in a few days. But everyone´s skin is different.

What was your prep regimen before the peel, that is if you had one?

I am also glad your pics were posted. 

I use 60%  lactic acid peel with lighteners added to the solution (Infinite Skin Care).  It is true that the skin won't "peel" like a TCA peel; but that is ok for my needs. 

I am going to be 65 and am an avid believer in Lactic Acid.  I use a cleanser and toner with Lactic acid.  My skin is so hydrated that I cannot use anything else to give me the same result.  I mainly use the Peels for age spots and it works.  I do, however  apply two layers to the areas I want to lighten the most.  No frosting, but intense itching for about 6 minutes.  Four days after peel my face does an intense flaking, but no sheets of skin coming off.  My skin does not turn red after-wards, but does crinkle up quite a bit during the healing process.  I use copper peptide serum from skin biology after cleaning off peel.  This also keeps my skin hydrated and boots the peel results.  I do have some lines and wrinkles but they are ok by me; just not ok for age spots.

Bottom line is that I look healthy and for over 60 that is a good thing.

Originally Posted by irisp3335 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am also glad your pics were posted. 

I use 60%  lactic acid peel with lighteners added to the solution (Infinite Skin Care).  It is true that the skin won't "peel" like a TCA peel; but that is ok for my needs. 

I am going to be 65 and am an avid believer in Lactic Acid.  I use a cleanser and toner with Lactic acid.  My skin is so hydrated that I cannot use anything else to give me the same result.  I mainly use the Peels for age spots and it works.  I do, however  apply two layers to the areas I want to lighten the most.  No frosting, but intense itching for about 6 minutes.  Four days after peel my face does an intense flaking, but no sheets of skin coming off.  My skin does not turn red after-wards, but does crinkle up quite a bit during the healing process.  I use copper peptide serum from skin biology after cleaning off peel.  This also keeps my skin hydrated and boots the peel results.  I do have some lines and wrinkles but they are ok by me; just not ok for age spots.

Bottom line is that I look healthy and for over 60 that is a good thing.
sounds like you´re doing the right things to make your complexion look better-good for you! It´s great that chemical peels not only improve skin texture, but also increase collagen production. I use a 65% lactic acid peel myself, maybe once a month for maintenance. I don´t get any flaking (my skin is tough), but I hear that other people do get it with this concentrations-other than that, lactic acid is pretty gentle.

I wished more people would start using chemical exfoliants. By that I don´t necessarily mean chemical peels, because not everyone can tolerate them - but using a gentle exfoliant daily (or as often as you can tolerate it) has so many benefits for the skin, especially when we get older!

For those who are interested, when I started doing peels, I started with GLYCOLAC which was glycolic acid and lactic acid combined, and I have scarring on the sides of my face and chin from horrible horrible cystic acne when i was 17 that I needed to go on accutane for.  My scars always left me self conscious and I had to tan all the time so that my scars kind of were hidden behind the tan cuz I would freckle a little and then just put a crap load of bronzer on to just melt all the freckles together to make one huge tan, but now I don't want to do that anymore.. so I was using the glycolac one for awhile and then i moved up to HQ by skinlaboratory.com and my scarring has gone down a lot! 

i dont know what it is but when i used either one of the peels and then put oil of olay filler and sealer creme to fill in my acne scars and my smile lines when i would wake up in the morning, its like they regenerated the skin or something cuz my scars looked so much more smoother and it was brought the skin back together where some pore kind of were destroyed due to my ex who used to try to pop my cystic acne and literally like tore my face up and really like broke some pores and now they are like all fixed.. but anyways, i still have scarring a bit and i actually just did the hq peel again tonight and then put oil of olay regenerest serum on and then the filler/sealer, the serum is a new addition, but i am always on the hunt for new peels, i would be interested in trying this one.. i have tough skin and im used to peels, infact i will leave peels on that are supposed to be for 5 mins only and i leave them on for at least a half hour..

Back