My experience with an at-home 15% TCA peel (pictures before, during and after)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by CHaNGiNGFaCESx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For those who are interested, when I started doing peels, I started with GLYCOLAC which was glycolic acid and lactic acid combined, and I have scarring on the sides of my face and chin from horrible horrible cystic acne when i was 17 that I needed to go on accutane for.  My scars always left me self conscious and I had to tan all the time so that my scars kind of were hidden behind the tan cuz I would freckle a little and then just put a crap load of bronzer on to just melt all the freckles together to make one huge tan, but now I don't want to do that anymore.. so I was using the glycolac one for awhile and then i moved up to HQ by skinlaboratory.com and my scarring has gone down a lot! 

i dont know what it is but when i used either one of the peels and then put oil of olay filler and sealer creme to fill in my acne scars and my smile lines when i would wake up in the morning, its like they regenerated the skin or something cuz my scars looked so much more smoother and it was brought the skin back together where some pore kind of were destroyed due to my ex who used to try to pop my cystic acne and literally like tore my face up and really like broke some pores and now they are like all fixed.. but anyways, i still have scarring a bit and i actually just did the hq peel again tonight and then put oil of olay regenerest serum on and then the filler/sealer, the serum is a new addition, but i am always on the hunt for new peels, i would be interested in trying this one.. i have tough skin and im used to peels, infact i will leave peels on that are supposed to be for 5 mins only and i leave them on for at least a half hour..
never heard about Glycolac, interesting concept though. I know at med spas and dermatologist´s offices they often custom-mix different peeling agents for patients.

The acne scars I have (pitted icepick scars, but only a few and luckily they´re small) is something I was hoping to improve with the TCA peels. I soon noticed that the stubborn hyperpigmentation from past cystic pimples responds well to TCA, but the actual scars did not improve for a long time (which doesn´t surprise me because there is so little you can do to improve them on your own). Only recently (after about 5 TCA peels with variying layers to the cheek area, where my scars are) I feel like they are filling up. Pitted scars need to undergo skin remodelling through controlled injury to the scar, which is induced by either chemical peels or the TCA CROSS method (read up on it on acne.org, people have some success with that after at least 2-3 sessions spaced 2 months apart). After that, new collagen is produced inside the pitted scar, which will slowly raise the bottom of the pit to the level of the surrounding skin...and that takes time! Vitamin C skincare products help after skin resurfacing procedures (peels, CROSS, lasers) because Vit C is important for collagen production.

If people just wait for a pitted scar to improve on it´s own, more than likely they´ll be waiting forever. I see so many adults with small pitted scars (which you can only see when you´re up close) that´s still left from acne they had as teens. I´m just mentioning that because a lot of people still think that actual acne scars will improve over time on their own. Dark marks left from acne are a piece of cake to treat (although they can be quite stubborn, as in my case *grrrr*) compared to actual scars.

After a peel (and also after TCA CROSS) there will be micro-swelling of the skin, which temporarily plumps up the scars and makes them look better. I think that´s what may be happening to you after your peels+using the serum (which probably contains humectants to increase the skin´s water content-which plumps it up as well).

Originally Posted by Andi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

yes, I did leave the 2nd layer on for about 5 additional minutes (it can be washed off earlier if an even coat of frosting appears sooner). I´m honestly still not sure if frosting is always necessary to get good results (I´ve heard yes and no from people on forums that have done TCA peels. A professional´s opinion would be nice of course). I know that frosting should be the end point of a TCA peel (meaning no additional layers after you get a decent amount of frosting), but I think you can still get results even if you get no or just little frosting.

So you said you did a 12% TCA peel? With lower percentage peels, single layer application and no prep regimen it´s very typical to only get mild flaking - your skin won´t come off in sheets. In addition, one peel of 12% strength will not give you dramatic results. As with any peel, multiple sessions will help improve your skin.

I went through a bit of trial and error with my prep regimen (I realized I have quite tough skin) after I experienced what you´re describing. I only got mild flaking, but it lasted for 10 days which was so annoying! It´s just more satisfying to see a bunch of skin peel off and be done with it in a few days. But everyone´s skin is different.

What was your prep regimen before the peel, that is if you had one?

Hiya! Before I did the peel, I used (and still will use when it is ok again to do so) retin A, at whatever the highest strength is. I get wicked annoying melasma and it's helped tremendously with that.

I just got the higher strength peel in the mail, too, I'll be using that pretty soon.

Originally Posted by 1hourcommute /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hiya! Before I did the peel, I used (and still will use when it is ok again to do so) retin A, at whatever the highest strength is. I get wicked annoying melasma and it's helped tremendously with that.

I just got the higher strength peel in the mail, too, I'll be using that pretty soon.
Ok that´s good, Retin-A is a good prep regimen. Just discontinue using it a few days before the peel. I experimented a bit with that, one time I stopped using Retin-A a full week before the TCA peel (I didn´t peel for sooo long) and the next time I stopped using it 2 nights before the peel (I peeled much faster this time, but the peel also went a bit deeper I think). If you´re using the highest % of Retin-A (which should be 0.1%) then I´d definitely stop using it a few days before, especially if you´re moving up in strength with the TCA! And don´t go up too high.

I think you said you did a 12% peel, and now want to go up to 18%....please reconsider this, and do a 15% peel first. You can always add more layers if you don´t frost at the 1st layer. I contemplated going up to 18% myself, but I´m glad I didn´t! 2 layer of 15% is really all I can handle doing at home (and it´s all I need), and my skin is pretty tough! Remember, there is still a small chance of getting hyperpigmentation FROM a TCA peel, especially if you´re prone to it and/or have a darker skintype. That´s why you often get a prep and/or aftercare regimen including a 4% hydroquinone cream when you get a TCA peel done at a dermatologist´s office.

Hi Andi,

Just wanted to thank you for posting your experience for all of us to learn from. I hadn't even considered peels until I stumbled across your post by accident a few months back. I went to Makeupartistchoice.com, and hesitantly bought a low level lactic acid peel. I then moved up to a 30% glycolic acid peel and am up to 3 min with that one, but want faster results. I've ordered the 8% tca peel, as it says it's still a very mild peel for beginners, and doesn't have a great deal of down social down time. Do you think I might have better or similar  results with trying a higher % glycolic, or will  the 8% tca give me better results? I'm using it to brighten my complexion and diminish crow's feet.

Originally Posted by Kansaseq /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi Andi,

Just wanted to thank you for posting your experience for all of us to learn from. I hadn't even considered peels until I stumbled across your post by accident a few months back. I went to Makeupartistchoice.com, and hesitantly bought a low level lactic acid peel. I then moved up to a 30% glycolic acid peel and am up to 3 min with that one, but want faster results. I've ordered the 8% tca peel, as it says it's still a very mild peel for beginners, and doesn't have a great deal of down social down time. Do you think I might have better or similar  results with trying a higher % glycolic, or will  the 8% tca give me better results? I'm using it to brighten my complexion and diminish crow's feet.
I can only speak from personal experience, but I got the best skin brightening effects from glycolic acid peels (I used both 30 and 40% with very similar results) and even more so with Retin-A use. TCA did nothing in terms of skin brightening in my case.

The TCA did a MUCH better job at resurfacing my skin on a deeper level, helping to get rid of stubborn post inflammatory hyperpigmentation. For crow´s feet, TCA would probably yield better results than glycolic. However, crow´s feet are mostly the result of squinting etc, so a TCA peel may not be enough to give you a visible improvement.

Hello, I was just curious what skin care products you used on a regular basis and also after the peel? I am wanting to do an 18% peel and wanted to make sure and use all the right products! If you would please email me back and let me know! I have the same problem with pigmentation.. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> but am tired of spending 300 on a peel every 6 weeks and looking like a snake after my skin peels! 

Thank you!!

Lacie

Originally Posted by Laciekaye /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hello, I was just curious what skin care products you used on a regular basis and also after the peel? I am wanting to do an 18% peel and wanted to make sure and use all the right products! If you would please email me back and let me know! I have the same problem with pigmentation.. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> but am tired of spending 300 on a peel every 6 weeks and looking like a snake after my skin peels! 

Thank you!!

Lacie
I use an SPF of 30-50 with sufficient UVA protection every day, and that is the only daytime skincare product I use.

At night, I alternate between Retin-A 0.05% and a 2% salicylic acid moisturizer (Neutrogena´s 3-in-1 moisturizing acne treatment) for exfoliation. I use Paula´s Choice Resist moisturizer under my eyes (mixed with Retin-A every other night) and on the rest of my face if needed.

After a TCA peel, I use Neosporin or Bacitracin exclusively for 2-3 days, and I stay out of daylight as much as possible. After my skin is done peeling, I wait an additional week or so before I resume my usual nighttime skincare routine with the Retin-A and chemical exfoliants. I´ve never had any issues with this routine, but I´ve also never gone above 2 layers of the 15% TCA. I would highly recommend Retin-A btw, if your skin can handle it and if you can get a prescription for it!

Don´t go up to 18% unless you´re absolutely certain that your skin can handle it, but since you´ve had peels done professionally I assume you know enough about the procedure itself and about aftercare. Good luck and I hope you get the results you are looking for!

Thanks, Andi. I think I'll continue  with the 30%  glycolic for a bit before using the 8% tca.

Is it ok to use Renova (Retin-A product) after glycolics?

Also, I wanted to say that  this whole process began for me by wanting to get rid of some ugly 'freckles' that were popping up in places I'd never had them before (cheeks and forehead). I got Murad skin lightening serum, which took a bit of time, but worked WELL on the freckles and melasma I've had forever. It was after I'd been using that that I stumbled upon this thread and started using the peels as well.

Originally Posted by Kansaseq /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks, Andi. I think I'll continue  with the 30%  glycolic for a bit before using the 8% tca.

Is it ok to use Renova (Retin-A product) after glycolics?

Also, I wanted to say that  this whole process began for me by wanting to get rid of some ugly 'freckles' that were popping up in places I'd never had them before (cheeks and forehead). I got Murad skin lightening serum, which took a bit of time, but worked WELL on the freckles and melasma I've had forever. It was after I'd been using that that I stumbled upon this thread and started using the peels as well.
sounds like a good plan! And you can definitely use Renova after glycolic peels. Whenever I do my 30% glycolic peel I wait 2-3 nights before I use Retin-A again though, just to make sure I don´t get the flaking you can get when you exfoliate too much.

Lightening serums work well if they contain the right ingredients, but I agree it takes a long time for them to work, and you can´t skip the sunscreen afterwards or the pigmentation will come back if you´re the type to hyperpigment easily.

Hi andi. I'm a seventeen year old Asian girl who suffers with acne vulgaris. I have had many pimples, blackheads, whiteheads and cystic acne. But now I'm clearing up. Now that I'm clearing up I'm left with craters in my face due to all the cystic acne I've gotten. I hate how I look. My self esteem has been damaged as well. I'm never happy with my face. My face cheeks are full of deep acne scarring. I was wondering of it would be okay to order the 12.5% tca chemical peel from MUAC and try that to get rid of these craters. I hope you can help me out. Thank you.Hi andi. I'm a seventeen year old Asian girl who suffers with acne vulgaris. I have had many pimples, blackheads, whiteheads and cystic acne. But now I'm clearing up. Now that I'm clearing up I'm left with craters in my face due to all the cystic acne I've gotten. I hate how I look. My self esteem has been damaged as well. I'm never happy with my face. My face cheeks are full of deep acne scarring. I was wondering of it would be okay to order the 12.5% tca chemical peel from MUAC and try that to get rid of these craters. I hope you can help me out. Thank you.

Originally Posted by Pandas123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi andi. I'm a seventeen year old Asian girl who suffers with acne vulgaris. I have had many pimples, blackheads, whiteheads and cystic acne. But now I'm clearing up. Now that I'm clearing up I'm left with craters in my face due to all the cystic acne I've gotten. I hate how I look. My self esteem has been damaged as well. I'm never happy with my face. My face cheeks are full of deep acne scarring. I was wondering of it would be okay to order the 12.5% tca chemical peel from MUAC and try that to get rid of these craters. I hope you can help me out. Thank you.Hi andi. I'm a seventeen year old Asian girl who suffers with acne vulgaris. I have had many pimples, blackheads, whiteheads and cystic acne. But now I'm clearing up. Now that I'm clearing up I'm left with craters in my face due to all the cystic acne I've gotten. I hate how I look. My self esteem has been damaged as well. I'm never happy with my face. My face cheeks are full of deep acne scarring. I was wondering of it would be okay to order the 12.5% tca chemical peel from MUAC and try that to get rid of these craters. I hope you can help me out. Thank you.
Hi,

sorry to hear about this, acne can have such an impact on one´s self esteem! Chemical peels can help improve minor, shallow scarring, but low & medium strength chemical peels have very limited success in the treatment of more severe acne scars. Deep crater-like scar tissue needs to level up to the surrounding healthy skin to be less noticeable. That means any kind of resurfacing treatment (chemical peels, microdermabrasion, ablative lasers) are probably not going to do much - they may even make it look worse.

If I were you, I wouldn´t experiment with peels, especially not by starting out with a TCA peel at your young age and with your history of cystic and inflammatory acne. Please see a dermatologist or plastic surgeon who specifically specializes in acne scar treatment! In any case, the doc will first make sure your acne is definitely cleared up. Aggressive scar treatments are not a good idea if your acne is only temporarily cleared up. Secondly, the doctor needs to take a look at your scars and classify them in type & severity to determine which treatment is right for you and how many sessions you will need.

In the hand of a professional, acne scars can improve a great deal! Unfortunately, these treatments aren´t cheap, so I hope your insurance can cover a part of the cost. I´d definitely talk to your parents and let them know how much your skin is bothering you. And check out the scar forum on acne.org and maybe post your questions on there. You can read lots of posts about people´s experiences with various scar treatments. 

Can I possibly get your email so I can get your advice on my acne scarring? If you don't mind me sending pictures of my scarring that is. Would a glycolic at home chemical peel help reduce my large pores? What age do I have to be to use peels? I've searched it up on google and they've said that there is no certain age you would have to be to use chemical peels. They're safe if you use them right. I really would like to use a chemical peel.

Originally Posted by Pandas123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I possibly get your email so I can get your advice on my acne scarring? If you don't mind me sending pictures of my scarring that is.

Would a glycolic at home chemical peel help reduce my large pores? What age do I have to be to use peels? I've searched it up on google and they've said that there is no certain age you would have to be to use chemical peels. They're safe if you use them right. I really would like to use a chemical peel.
I´m not a dermatologist, so I don´t feel qualified to tell you what kind of scarring you have! From your descriptions it sounded like you have boxcar scars, but you can look up pictures & descriptions on acne.org. 

Pores can appear larger than they would normally be if they are blocked by sebum, so using a chemical exfoliant (like salicylic or glycolic acid) can absolutely make your pores appear smaller. However, some people who have had severe acne are left with permanently enlarged pores even after their acne clears up.

I think your skin may benefit from a low % gylcolic peel,as it can help even out some discoloration and make your skin look a bit smoother. But like I said, a light or medium depth peel cannot fill in depressed acne scars.

And you´re right, I guess there is no certain age restrictions for peels. But please be careful, start low & slow and keep realistic expectations. Good luck!

This has been super helpful! Thank you so much for posting this Andi.  

3 days ago I did my first 20% TCA peel and like you have tough skin.  I did one layer, and never saw frosting (was being careful as it was my first time).  I am now beginning to see light peeling on my chin and and around my mouth.  The rest of my face is tight and wrinkley, I assume there is more peeling to come!

I was reading about your skin care regimen and was curious about the prep.  Prior to my first peel, I was using a lightening cream (without hydroquinone) and a gel with AHA in it. I believe you recommended using Retin-A, do you recommend any other prep products to use in conjunction?  I also use a clarisonic once daily, I discontinued using it about 3 days before the peel and am anxious to start using it on my face again, do you know or have any recommendations on this and when I can begin to use it again?  

As for the aftercare and maintenance, do you recommend regular retin-A and salycilic acid use?  Do you recommend alternating TCA with a glycolic peel? Finally, do you have any experience with or recommendations on benzoyle peroxide?

Your thoughts are much appreciated! 

Originally Posted by JillyB /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This has been super helpful! Thank you so much for posting this Andi.  

3 days ago I did my first 20% TCA peel and like you have tough skin.  I did one layer, and never saw frosting (was being careful as it was my first time).  I am now beginning to see light peeling on my chin and and around my mouth.  The rest of my face is tight and wrinkley, I assume there is more peeling to come!

I was reading about your skin care regimen and was curious about the prep.  Prior to my first peel, I was using a lightening cream (without hydroquinone) and a gel with AHA in it. I believe you recommended using Retin-A, do you recommend any other prep products to use in conjunction?  I also use a clarisonic once daily, I discontinued using it about 3 days before the peel and am anxious to start using it on my face again, do you know or have any recommendations on this and when I can begin to use it again?  

As for the aftercare and maintenance, do you recommend regular retin-A and salycilic acid use?  Do you recommend alternating TCA with a glycolic peel? Finally, do you have any experience with or recommendations on benzoyle peroxide?

Your thoughts are much appreciated! 
I meant to say that I believe a prep to a professional, in-office peel usually consists of Retin-A (and sometimes hydroquinone as well). From what I've read, a lot of people use AHAs for prep if they can't tolerate Retin-A or don't have a prescription for it. What's the strength of your AHA gel? The thing is, the better/more intense the prep regimen is, the deeper the peel will penetrate. So it's up to you to decide if you want your peel to penetrate deeper. For a first try, it's always a good idea to maybe even skip the prep regimen or just use a gentle chemical exfoliant, because you won't know yet how the peel reacts with your skin.

It's definitely a good idea that you stopped using the Clarisonic 3 days before the peel! I would give your skin several days (if not a week) after your skin is fully done peeling to use the Clarisonic again. It's a way of mechanical exfoliation, and on freshly peeled skin, there is no dead skin there that the Clarisonic could exfoliate, if that makes sense. I usually waited about 5 days after I had completely stopped peeling to start using Retin-A again.

Regular Retin-A use is definitely great if your skin can tolerate it (and many people can, for some it just takes a lot of trial to find the right strength and application frequency). There is tons of research about the benefits of tretinoin, which is why it's a dermatologist favorite. Salicylic acid is great too, I use a 2% leave on salicylic acid gel as my chemical exfoliator, and alternate that with Retin-A. But glycolic acid is great as a daily chemical exfoliator as well.

And I do alternate TCA peels with glycolic peels myself, that's perfectly fine. Just space out the peels far enough, because nothing is worse than overusing potent peeling agents! 

I don't think I have ever used benzoyle peroxide though, so I can't comment on that. Check out dermtv.com on Youtube, Dr. Schultz is a very knowledgeable dermatologist, and I bet you will find tons of helpful information in his videos!

I will definitely check out dermtv.com, thanks for the suggestion.

I am on day five and think the flaking is about finished, maybe a day or two more.  The last of my cheeks are peeling and same with my forehead.  I think a better prep regimen for my next peel will help increase the amount of peeling in a shorter time period.  I have .025% retin-a that I will begin with and work my way up (I have not used this since I was in high school) and a 2% hydroquinone cream also.  

I am not sure as to what the strength of the AHA I was previously using is.  It is a gel by Ole Henricksen, the description can be found here: www.olehenriksen.com/p-69-invigorating-night-gel.aspx  I have a feeling that it is not very strong, there is no % label, or anything that specifies an AHA amount.

In any case, I am loving the results of my first peel, despite the long waiting period to see them. And I am looking forward to my next, hopefully deeper peel.  Thanks so much for your pics and incredibly helpful posts, this is exactly what i was looking for!

I will definitely check out dermtv.com, thanks for the suggestion.

I am on day five and think the flaking is about finished, maybe a day or two more.  The last of my cheeks are peeling and same with my forehead.  I think a better prep regimen for my next peel will help increase the amount of peeling in a shorter time period.  I have .025% retin-a that I will begin with and work my way up (I have not used this since I was in high school) and a 2% hydroquinone cream also.  

I am not sure as to what the strength of the AHA I was previously using is.  It is a gel by Ole Henricksen, the description can be found here: www.olehenriksen.com/p-69-invigorating-night-gel.aspx  I have a feeling that it is not very strong, there is no % label, or anything that specifies an AHA amount.

In any case, I am loving the results of my first peel, despite the long waiting period to see them. And I am looking forward to my next, hopefully deeper peel.  Thanks so much for your pics and incredibly helpful posts, this is exactly what i was looking for!
You're welcome! I couldn't find many pictures of people who've done peels, which is why I decided to take some myself.

A prep regimen of 0.025% Retin-A and hydroquinone sounds perfect! And yeah if there's no indication what the % of the AHA gel is, it's probably really low. In terms of AHA, a decent prep regimen for a TCA peel would be a leave-on AHA product of 10% or so (the brand Alpha Hydrox sells some for a really good price, I get mine online).

As I've read & heard dermatologists many time, a series of lighter TCA peels is always safer & sometimes better than a single stronger peel (that is, unless you have serious skin issues that absolutely need a deeper, professional peel).

Thanks Andi!  I am finally done peeling and can tell a slight difference.  I am holding off for a while before I do the next one, but am definitely looking forward to it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Thanks again for the tips and advice, it really makes such a difference to speak to people and see images of other at home treatments!  

Thanks Andi!  I am finally done peeling and can tell a slight difference.  I am holding off for a while before I do the next one, but am definitely looking forward to it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Thanks again for the tips and advice, it really makes such a difference to speak to people and see images of other at home treatments!  
you're very welcome, glad I could help!!!

Back