My experience with an at-home 15% TCA peel (pictures before, during and after)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi I tried using hydroquinone and retin A mixed, a product from the phillipines called maxi-peel, works great but I now get darkened areas from it, also from retin A alone. I cover with sunblock like crazy. I even drive with a (dart vader) visor LOL and nothing! I have tried Vi derm peel which the first time worked very aggresively and after that almost no use, I peeled but not as much. Your face looks amazing! besides that you are very beautiful of course your skin looks great. I want to try to TCA peel. I found some on ebay but I wanted to ask you what your recommendation is and also what sunscreen you use? I started using chanel spf 50  UV essentiel I even walk with a sun umbrella but still get darkened areas and more freackles which I hate.. what am I doing wrong? do you think I am just hyper sensitive to the hydroquinone and retin A? I'm I not covering up from the sun properly? please help!!
frown.gif

Originally Posted by Isela /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi I tried using hydroquinone and retin A mixed, a product from the phillipines called maxi-peel, works great but I now get darkened areas from it, also from retin A alone. I cover with sunblock like crazy. I even drive with a (dart vader) visor LOL and nothing! I have tried Vi derm peel which the first time worked very aggresively and after that almost no use, I peeled but not as much. Your face looks amazing! besides that you are very beautiful of course your skin looks great. I want to try to TCA peel. I found some on ebay but I wanted to ask you what your recommendation is and also what sunscreen you use? I started using chanel spf 50  UV essentiel I even walk with a sun umbrella but still get darkened areas and more freackles which I hate.. what am I doing wrong? do you think I am just hyper sensitive to the hydroquinone and retin A? I'm I not covering up from the sun properly? please help!!
frown.gif
it seems like your skin hyperpigemnts very easily. Do you live in an area that has strong sun exposure year round? You also have to consider that no sunscreen provides 100% protection. Hyperpigmentation is mainly caused by UVA rays (from my understanding). The SPF # tells you about the degree of protection against UVB rays, but there is no universal rating system for UVA protection yet. In asian countries, the PAA system is one of these things, so a PA+++ rating would be the highest protection against UVA rays. In most other countries, the PAA system isn´t recognized, you can only go by the amount of titanium oxide & zink oxide in your sunscreen. I would recommend checking out beautypedia.com for a detailed ingredient-based review on your sunscreen. I use the Neutrogena dry touch sunblock when I know I`ll be out in the sun for a longer time, it´s very highly rated due to its ingredients, and it´s fragrance-free.

I would also stay clear of heavily fragranced or potentially irritiating skincare products that could be adding to your hyperpigmentation (again, I love beautypedia.com for a breakdown of ingredients in the products you´re already using or thinking of buying. Also, being on birth control pills or being pregnant can make some women hyperpigment easier.

With your history of hyperpigmentation, I would not experiment with TCA peels at home. It is possible that you´ll get even more hyperpigmentation from it. I would consult a dermatologist for laser treatments or professional peels!

Hi I'm really thinking of using the TCA peel but I'm a bit weary as I've never used a chemical peel before. So I'm 18 and I've had acne since I was about 11 but when I was 16 my skin became SO oily and I got a massive breakout all over my face which left me with dark scars and gross ice pick scars. The dark scars have since faded somewhat but they still look like acne :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I only have hyper pigmentation on my cheeks and I have ice pick scars on the forehead and cheekbones - theyre like holes in my skin and are so ugly : '( and they are still noticeable with makeup. the ice pick scars are my main concern, they're not very severe but they're noticeable when I'm talking to someone. I was just wondering what concentration of tca would be best to use since I'm still quite young. I've also watched YouTube videos of people using q tips or even those sticks you'd use to eat olives and cheese with to apply tca! What method of application would be best? Thanks x

Originally Posted by SophKoph18 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi I'm really thinking of using the TCA peel but I'm a bit weary as I've never used a chemical peel before. So I'm 18 and I've had acne since I was about 11 but when I was 16 my skin became SO oily and I got a massive breakout all over my face which left me with dark scars and gross ice pick scars. The dark scars have since faded somewhat but they still look like acne
frown.gif
I only have hyper pigmentation on my cheeks and I have ice pick scars on the forehead and cheekbones - theyre like holes in my skin and are so ugly : '( and they are still noticeable with makeup. the ice pick scars are my main concern, they're not very severe but they're noticeable when I'm talking to someone. I was just wondering what concentration of tca would be best to use since I'm still quite young. I've also watched YouTube videos of people using q tips or even those sticks you'd use to eat olives and cheese with to apply tca! What method of application would be best? Thanks x
You´re talking about the TCA CROSS method, done with 80-100% TCA. I´ve read about people on acne.org having tried it, with varying success. It takes a few applications and a long period of time in between application. I tried it myself twice, I have about 8 very mild icepick scars, but I figured it´s worth a try. I don´t think they got any better, even though I did everything you´re supposed to do.

I don´t know if there´s an age limit to TCA-peels or TCA cross. I wouldn´t mess with your skin by yourself at your age, please see a dermatologist who specializes in acne scar treatments. If you still try TCA CROSS on yourself, be extremely extremely careful and try it on ONE icepick scar, then judge the result after a few weeks to months.

Andi,

I am so jealous! You frosted and peeled beautifully, just like I had imagined I would. I just did a 15% tca peel at home, I was beyond excited but I hardly peeled! I peeled by my chin and a little bit by my nose, the rest of my skin is just extremely dry it looks like I have fine lines everywhere. Is that still considered peeling? I did 1 layer with no frosting so I added a second layer but couldn't tolerate the peel so I just washed it off. I am sure I got a very light peel because I barely left it on longer than 5 minutes. Now I am DYING to do it again but it's only been a week. Since I have barely peeled do you think I can do another peel sooner than the 1 month wait?

Thanks In advance,

B

I have another question...

I have a Glyco-Lac 60% Peel, which is a combination of Glycolic (25%) and Lactic (35%) acid, an was wondering if I could use 1 layer of this right before applying the 1st layer of 15% TCA peel? Would It make the 15% TCA a stronger/deeper peel? What I would do is apply the Glyco-Lac peel, let it penetrate and then apply the %15 TCA peel? If this is doable, any directions?

How about a 30% Salicylic acid peel? Can I apply this before or after to help with the TCA break outs I got the first time?

Thanks for all of your help in advance,

B =)

Well, I bought some peels. but what do you mix it with? I cant imagine you just put a few drops on your face. I have mild rosacea also....so I will most likely have to avoid that area. I have some scars and discoloration that I want to diminish. Thanks  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Belen DelSol /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Andi,

I am so jealous! You frosted and peeled beautifully, just like I had imagined I would. I just did a 15% tca peel at home, I was beyond excited but I hardly peeled! I peeled by my chin and a little bit by my nose, the rest of my skin is just extremely dry it looks like I have fine lines everywhere. Is that still considered peeling? I did 1 layer with no frosting so I added a second layer but couldn't tolerate the peel so I just washed it off. I am sure I got a very light peel because I barely left it on longer than 5 minutes. Now I am DYING to do it again but it's only been a week. Since I have barely peeled do you think I can do another peel sooner than the 1 month wait?

Thanks In advance,

B
I peeled on the areas that move the most (around chin) the first, the skin on my forehead stayed extremely tight and leathery dry looking for much longer. In those areas, the skin gradually flaked off, probably while washing my face, under the shower etc.

I I think only left each TCA layer on for 5min, so if you left it on for that long then it definitely did most of its job.

Whether you see actual chunks of skin peeling off or there´s just some light flaking, absolutely wait at least a month after a 15% TCA-peel, no matter how many layers were applied. I know how exciting it is to try this and hope for improvement sooner rather than later, but after the peel, your skin is regenerating and rebuilding collagen, none of which you can actually see. So give your skin the time it needs to do what it´s doing after a chemical peel.

Originally Posted by Belen DelSol /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have another question...

I have a Glyco-Lac 60% Peel, which is a combination of Glycolic (25%) and Lactic (35%) acid, an was wondering if I could use 1 layer of this right before applying the 1st layer of 15% TCA peel? Would It make the 15% TCA a stronger/deeper peel? What I would do is apply the Glyco-Lac peel, let it penetrate and then apply the %15 TCA peel? If this is doable, any directions?

How about a 30% Salicylic acid peel? Can I apply this before or after to help with the TCA break outs I got the first time?

Thanks for all of your help in advance,

B =)
I have no experience with using a different chemical peel right before TCA. I know dermatologists can mix TCA with other chemical peeling agents, but that´s obviously beyond my knowledge and experience.

I have used a 40% glycolic peel 5 days before a TCA peel before, but I can´t say that it made anything different. I´m a Retin-A user, so that probably prepped my skin enough for the TCA peel. I personally wouldn´t experiment with what you described. If you have used your Glyco-Lac peel before, I´d try using it a week before your TCA-peel, which will theoretically cause the TCA-peel to penetrate a bit deeper. How much difference does this actually make, I don´t know.

About your second question regarding the 30% Salicylic acid peel: don´t apply ANY peeling agents after the TCA peel, wait till you´re done peeling. I´d think using a gentle 2% salicylic acid moisturizer (I thinkt he Neutrogena 3-in-1 moisturizing acne treatment is a great option) when you´re done peeling from the TCA is probably fine though. I have never experienced breakouts after a TCA-peel so I´m afraid I`m not much help.

Whatever you do, don´t overdo it. I know it´s tempting, but more than likely overdoing it by doing another peel too soon, or going too strong, will not give you the improvement you´re looking for. Your skin improves itself after each peel, a little bit each time, and as you get older that rebuilding takes longer and longer.

Originally Posted by YoAdrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, I bought some peels. but what do you mix it with? I cant imagine you just put a few drops on your face. I have mild rosacea also....so I will most likely have to avoid that area. I have some scars and discoloration that I want to diminish. Thanks  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
I`m not sure what you mean? The TCA solution that you buy from reputable sellers is ready to go, no mixing required. Unless, you get a TCA solution that has a higher concentration than you would like, in that case you can dilute it with distilled water, the ratio of diluting can be found online. I´ve never done this though, I just ordered the TCA solution in the % I wanted.

And I agree, avoid the areas that have rosacea. A full-face TCA peel isn´t always necessary, you can just apply it to your problem areas.

Originally Posted by YoAdrienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not everyone can afford laser surgery, or a dermatologist.
Sure, I couldn´t afford it either. However, there´s a reason why at-home peels aren´t for everyone: you can get great results as well as great damage, even if you do thought you did everything right. And, there´s only so much you can do with at-home peels, for actual acne scars you could apply chemical peels till the cows come home, they´re a witch to treat even in professional hands.

Hi Andi! First of all, I'd like to thank you for this tremendously helpful thread, you have a beautiful skin and reading your posts has motivated me to try these peels at home to improve my own skin. I've suffered from acne during teenagehood and now I've got scars on my cheeks and forehead that make me very self-conscious. I'm sorry if my doubts were already answered before, I didn't read every question and answer, but I'd be very thankful if you could describe in a step-by-step manner your prep regimen, how you do the actual peel (for example, it's still not clear to me whether you put another layer on top of the previous one or if you wash it off first prior to applying another layer, and for how long you keep each layer on) and also your post peel care. I appreciate your help very much in advance and look forward to hearing from you 
smile.gif

Just passing thru here, not passing judgment, just collecting data for my own soon to have experience with an at home chemical peel. I've had two peels done in my recent past. One by a dermatologist, the other, her assistant. both peels were a gradual situation. The first one caused a glow to my skin, the other, greatly improved my problem areas. I currently suffer from hyper-pigmentation around my mouth and dark circles around my eyes. The dark circles I was born with, yet as time progressed, so have my circles. As for my mouth, I have a few ailments in which I feel attributed to the discoloration. I thought it would be best to cut out the middle men and perform the peel myself. each peel has cost me over $200. Its expensive this way, Yet, they work. You've mentioned earlier that it is a gradual build up which works, and some times our skin does not regenerate as fast as we would like it to. I am at a certain age with a health condition, peels have helped my skin immensely, I just do not want to burn myself. I intend to buy the TCA @%25. One, would you recommend I cut it in half, dilute it, or apply it undiluted. 2, SHOULD I PUT IT ON MY NECK? I'm aware of the sensitivity of  neck skin, its just that I also have discoloration there too. I use Retin A 0.5% yet it just burns my neck, thus causing more discoloration. Any suggestions?

Andi,

I have another quick qestion, I just did my second 15% peel to get rid of a few new lightly red acne marks, is it normal for those red marks to get darker after you have done the peel?

Thanks again!

"If you want to try a TCA peel at home, please do extensive research online. Use an appropriate prep regimen of Retin-A or glycolic acid serum to ensure thorough & even penetration of the acid." Hi! I'm looking into at home chemical peels and saw your blog. What do you mean by that exactly? When I had chemical peels before, they told me NOT to use it a week before a peel. I currently use proactiv and Retin A. I'm a little confused as to what to do to prep for it and how many days to prep for it. Thank you!!!

hello andi please help me i have boxcar scars and indentations on face shallow would a tca work for me and at what percentage do you suggest please help

thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge, it is invaluable.From day 2 of tca peel what do you do as regards washing face, otherwise there would be build up of creams,dead skin cells etc. Could you please advise on aftercare washing in the days after peel.     

Back