My experience with an at-home 15% TCA peel (pictures before, during and after)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally Posted by liginhasn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi Andi! First of all, I'd like to thank you for this tremendously helpful thread, you have a beautiful skin and reading your posts has motivated me to try these peels at home to improve my own skin. I've suffered from acne during teenagehood and now I've got scars on my cheeks and forehead that make me very self-conscious. I'm sorry if my doubts were already answered before, I didn't read every question and answer, but I'd be very thankful if you could describe in a step-by-step manner your prep regimen, how you do the actual peel (for example, it's still not clear to me whether you put another layer on top of the previous one or if you wash it off first prior to applying another layer, and for how long you keep each layer on) and also your post peel care. I appreciate your help very much in advance and look forward to hearing from you 
smile.gif
Thank you!

My prep-regimen is the same as my usual skincare regimen: I alternate between Retin-A 0.05% (which I have used for 4+years) and a 10% glycolic acid serum. Both Retin-A and glycolic acid work well as a prep-regimen, so I don´t do anything differently. But, I stop using both products a few days before the peel.

Peel: a TCA-peel is self-neutralizing, so you don´t need to wash your face between layers. I wash my face with a mild foaming facewash when the last layer has been on my skin for 5min or shorter if I feel like the burn is too bad. Typically, I keep each layer on for 5min.

Post-peel care: Neosporin or Bacitracin twice daily, and I only splash my face with cool water the first 2 days, then I use a mild facewash. Injured skin heals best when kept moist, and Neosporin provides a nice occlusive layer as well as antibacterial action. If I leave the house, I of course apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen, usually SPF50.

Originally Posted by justpassingthru /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just passing thru here, not passing judgment, just collecting data for my own soon to have experience with an at home chemical peel. I've had two peels done in my recent past. One by a dermatologist, the other, her assistant. both peels were a gradual situation. The first one caused a glow to my skin, the other, greatly improved my problem areas. I currently suffer from hyper-pigmentation around my mouth and dark circles around my eyes. The dark circles I was born with, yet as time progressed, so have my circles. As for my mouth, I have a few ailments in which I feel attributed to the discoloration. I thought it would be best to cut out the middle men and perform the peel myself. each peel has cost me over $200. Its expensive this way, Yet, they work. You've mentioned earlier that it is a gradual build up which works, and some times our skin does not regenerate as fast as we would like it to. I am at a certain age with a health condition, peels have helped my skin immensely, I just do not want to burn myself. I intend to buy the TCA @%25. One, would you recommend I cut it in half, dilute it, or apply it undiluted. 2, SHOULD I PUT IT ON MY NECK? I'm aware of the sensitivity of  neck skin, its just that I also have discoloration there too. I use Retin A 0.5% yet it just burns my neck, thus causing more discoloration. Any suggestions?
If you have never done a TCA-peel, start with the lowest strength. If you have never done an at-home chemical peel in general, don´t start with TCA right away! I´d rather do a series of glycolic peels first and then work your way up so to say.

You mentioned hyperpigmentation around your mouth, I´d be wary about using TCA on that area. If you´re darker skinned, hyperpigmentation is much more of a risk after a chemical peel than if you are fair like me.

As for neck application, I wouldn´t use TCA there, body treatment with TCA is better left for professionals. If you can, get a prescription for something like Tri-Luma, a combo of tretinoin & hydroquinone, which adresses the hyperpigmentation. And give it a few months to work, and use sunscreen daily. If that doesn´t work, lasers may be an option.

Originally Posted by Belen DelSol /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Andi,

I have another quick qestion, I just did my second 15% peel to get rid of a few new lightly red acne marks, is it normal for those red marks to get darker after you have done the peel?

Thanks again!
Hi,

that has never happened to me. But, it seems like you´ve done the peel recently so I wouldn´t worry about it yet. Just keep up with your post-peel care and more importantly the sunscreen. The only thing I can say about my personal experience is that once the flaking was over, the dark marks from acne didn´t immediately look better. As the remodelling & healing continued in the following weeks after the peel, I saw gradual improvement.

That´s why it´s always good to wait a few weeks after you´ve peeled to evaluate the success of the peel and decide if you want to do another one or not.

Originally Posted by laci2727 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"If you want to try a TCA peel at home, please do extensive research online. Use an appropriate prep regimen of Retin-A or glycolic acid serum to ensure thorough & even penetration of the acid." Hi! I'm looking into at home chemical peels and saw your blog. What do you mean by that exactly? When I had chemical peels before, they told me NOT to use it a week before a peel. I currently use proactiv and Retin A. I'm a little confused as to what to do to prep for it and how many days to prep for it. Thank you!!!
I`m not a dermatologist, but I have definitely read about dermatologists prescribing prep regimens before a chemical peel. It depends on the peel though. If you get a mild peel at a spa or med-spa, a prep regimen isn´t necessary because the peeling agents that are used don´t penetrate as deep as a TCA-peel would.

To prep for a TCA-peel, I´d use the prep regimen for a week before the peel if it´s a weaker peel. I`m a Retin-A user as well, but I discontinue Retin-A a few days before my TCA-peel. I`m not sure if it actually does decrease sensitivity, but it´s just a safety measure for me.

Originally Posted by regretful /img/forum/go_quote.gif

hello andi please help me i have boxcar scars and indentations on face shallow would a tca work for me and at what percentage do you suggest please help
To my knowledge, boxcar scars don´t improve with TCA peel or most other peeling agents. Icepick scars (indented acne scars) don´t really improve with a full face TCA peel either. The TCA CROSS method can work for icepick scars, but since you´d be using 80% or 100% TCA, it´s best left to a professional.

Originally Posted by sparks /img/forum/go_quote.gif

thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge, it is invaluable.From day 2 of tca peel what do you do as regards washing face, otherwise there would be build up of creams,dead skin cells etc. Could you please advise on aftercare washing in the days after peel.     
My skin isn´t very sensitive, so please keep that in mind. I have never had any issues with the peel itself or post-peel care, but everybody´s skin is different.

After day 2 post-peel, using a mild & fragrance free facewash shouldn´t be an issue. I use Neosporin/Bacitracin until I peel, and I also used it on the areas that have just freshly peeled. Once everything has finished peeling, I use a gentle, fragrance-free moisturizer (like Cetaphil or CeraVe) for another week or so, at night. During the day, I use an SPF50 sunscreen.

About a week after I´ve finished peeling, I resume my usual skincare routine of Retin-A alternating with a light glycolic acid serum.

Hi Andi,I need your advise.My story is......

I am 26 years old,last year I was very stupid and did waxed my body,and dont know why I decidet do put all over my face too(I dont have hair on my face).

Since then I started to have a spots and it turned to acne,as I never had an acne before.

I was trying to heal them so far,went to different places,and was trying different products,and I went to doctor too.And with the time the spots almost are gone,I still have some,but they r 1,2, or 3,big  but still they r not too much.But the acne left scars on my face.I would like to send you pics but just wanted to se what do you think first.it was 2 weeks ago i did apple peel,but it wasnt that strong.I peeled but it didnt take off my scars and brawn marks.

As I still have spots,I heard about TCA peel,that helps with the acne and also will remove my scars.I am not that bad and the scars are only on my sides.

So my question is,Can I do TCA peel only on my sides,coz I dont need on hole face,as I already did 2 weeks ago.

Thank you

Hi! Im 50 Grew up in Southern California and went to the beach evey week:(  I do a TCA peel 25% in the fall and spring. I love the results. I also had co2 lazor done a year ago, That took 10 days before I felt good going out.My experience was done by a professional Est, It does burn during the session and takes about 10 to 15 minutes to frost. Today is day 2 and I am very red, No peeling yet. The hardest thing for me is not touching the skin when it itches all I want to do is peel it off! DONT PEEL IT OFF! In the past places I peeled to soon left a red mark. Everyone says I look around mid 30"s late 30"s. I have not had my face or chest in the sun for 5 years now and only use tanning lotion in a bottle for the rest of my body.As you age lighter skin makes you look younger.Im part Swiss Italian and German and have many freckles,The peels have diminished my dark spots and malasma,I used a high 15% hydroquinone on face and chest for 5 months and it made my spots darker so It does not work on darker skinned people :/ If I could afford another lazor I would, They cost between 2,000 -4,000k US dollars.I also recommend juicing and eating healthy organic foods and a good wrinkle cream and a ton of spring water. Im a wrinkle cream junkie and I have tried hundreds!!! LOL. Hope this help's.

Hi everyone! 

I have some scars on my arm that I want to get rid of; have any of you had good results on this type of scar from peels? I have very pale white skin (srsly I'm like a milk bottle), but these scars are pure white, ie: very slightly hypopigmented. They are almost flat and barely noticeable, but I still really want to get rid of them. I'm willing to do anything, lasers or whatever, but I'm not exactly loaded (yet!) so money is definitely an issue. Which would you say is a good place to start, if this is even a suitable method? 

I have a low-concentration glycolic acid peeling solution in my cupboard. I'm not sure of the conc, but it's probably too low to do anything. Should I start there? 

I live in the UK, in case that affects my ability to purchase products. 

(swissitalian50 - can I just say how lucky you are; I visited Orange County a few weeks ago and it was the most beautiful place I've ever been to!) :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have very good skin, in my mid 60's, and have had four professional TCA peels done over the past year or so.  I purchased a 25% TCA peel online to apply at home, since my office results have had such good results.  I applied one layer and left it on for slightly less than 2 minutes, not wanting to rush in too strong.  The company I ordered from supplied a pre-peel prep, TCA  solution, Neutralizer, and hyaluronic serum to apply post peel.  I've had very slight flaking, but still have some tightness in my cheek area.  I plan to do a second peel in a week or so, one layer, but leaving it on for 3-4 minutes...to see if frosting occurs.  My first three peels took place  every two weeks, with the last one being the most severe (stinging, but not causing any damage to my face).  I've not used Retin-A...wondered if I should be using this.  The hyaluronic serum seems to replish the dry skin.  I love this thread and all the information...it has answered most of my questions, but curious about the Retin A...and where to purchase it.

Originally Posted by Brenda119 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have very good skin, in my mid 60's, and have had four professional TCA peels done over the past year or so.  I purchased a 25% TCA peel online to apply at home, since my office results have had such good results.  I applied one layer and left it on for slightly less than 2 minutes, not wanting to rush in too strong.  The company I ordered from supplied a pre-peel prep, TCA  solution, Neutralizer, and hyaluronic serum to apply post peel.  I've had very slight flaking, but still have some tightness in my cheek area.  I plan to do a second peel in a week or so, one layer, but leaving it on for 3-4 minutes...to see if frosting occurs.  My first three peels took place  every two weeks, with the last one being the most severe (stinging, but not causing any damage to my face).  I've not used Retin-A...wondered if I should be using this.  The hyaluronic serum seems to replish the dry skin.  I love this thread and all the information...it has answered most of my questions, but curious about the Retin A...and where to purchase it.
A little younger but only very little.  We are in the same situation.

I used to order my Retin A from a Filipino friend whose sister is a stewardess.  I stopped since I switched to regimen of lactic acid peel (I'll mention Perfect Image brand since this is the one that works for me) every week or once every two weeks.  I use also loofa from Bath & Body with warm water and mild soap for nightly exfoliation.  Then apply Positively Flawless Cell Serum with aloe for maintenance and to keep collagen (the exposed skin after it peels) alive, nourished and healthy.

Hi Andi,

I re-read through your posts and I think you can write a good "how to" on the subject.

And realized too that I'm lucky that I have not had to go through the same pain (if not ordeal) at the process.  Maybe, because I can't afford to since I have to apply the peel Friday and should be good to go and not becoming self-conscious with peeling skin on my face going back to office come Monday.

I can't claim the success as you since I only have my husband and my friends telling me I did have a younger skin (well, for my age).

Please keep up with the good work.

Hey Andi! 

I absolutely love this thread btw, I have basically read through the entire thing start to finish. 

I wanted to ask you about my situation personally because while mine does resemble some of the other posts on here I haven't found the information I need yet because my situation still differs a bit. Sorry please bear with me here I have so many questions and I'm trying to find the best format to put them in lol:

1. The problem I am trying to get rid of here is ridiculously stubborn acne scars and hyper pigmentation from acne as well. I have dark spots all over my shoulders,back, and face. I have had acne prone skin my entire life. I am 22 now and for the most part all of my acne is cleared off my face ( I still get small stubborn break outs on my shoulders,back, and chest.) I like you scar so terrible easy. I have marks on my legs as well from ingrown hairs which I also hope to get rid of by doing a peel. ( skin tone wise I am bi-racial. skin color wise is very similar to paula patton or Kim Kardashian)

2. I have never undergone a professional chemical peel, nor have I ever done one at home as well but I have done and still am reading a lot and I want to be very prepared. I have seen that you have mentioned quite a bit that it's best to start with less stronger peels and to wait on the TCA peels until you have prior experience with other peels on your face. I wonder though if it would be  waste of my time to start on these because my acne scars and marks are just SO stubborn. I have literally tried everything, I first started using mederma for the scars on my shoulders and it shed away a lot of skin and the marks improved a bit but were still very evident. I have used countless hydroquinone creams and exfoliants. I even purchased a microdermabrasion system and have received very little results. My scars are indeed very stubborn. So I have to wonder if I start with the glycolic peels would I even achieve any results?

3. I personally don't think my skin would be categorized as sensitive. I have used pretty every acne line/product out there from pro-activ to the naturals alba line and my skin seems to take it all in stride. I've never experienced any skin irritation. When I was a teenager I used to have a job where I constantly stood outside in the sun for hours on end without sun screen (I know I know I cringe now just thinking about the damage done to my skin) I had tried everything.  In the end though my skin (acne-wise) has cleared up due to better living habits I think. I use the simple natural line now and I just try to use a lot of natural ways to keep my skin healthy. The marks on my face aren't as apparent though as the ones on my shoulders and back, but my face just never has the appearance of being completely clear because of these blemishes. 

anyway....

I was wondering if maybe you could give me a little advice on where to start? I really want these stubborn dark marks to leave my skin and I wasn't sure if the glycolic peels were the ones to give me results or not. Should I start with those still though even  just for the fact that it's better to not start with the tca peels?

Thanks :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />.

xiarog1908, yes I would still not start with TCA peels. If you tend to scar and hyperpigment easily, and have a darker skintone, I would hate for an at-home TCA peel to lead to even more hyperpigmentation. It sounds like even though your skin isn't sensitive, you're still at risk for getting more hyperpigmentation from a peel. I would definitely see a professional about this!

I don't know how long you've used a hydroquinone product (2% is over the counter, 4% is prescription strength, and even the prescription strength can take months to work), if it was combined it with a retinoid for enhanced efficacy, and if you really have been diligent about using a broad spectrum SPF of at least 30 on the areas you used the hydroquinone on, every single day. If you have done all of this and are still left with hyperpigmentation on your face, I think laser treatments or a blend of chemical peeling agents may be a better option. I'm no expert, but I don't think that at home chemical peels are going to give you the results you're looking for :-(

This has been an interesting read. Unfortunately, my skin is probably too sensitive for a peel. I've used some of those cheapy (supposedly "gentle/natural" paper masks that are for "brightening" and my whole face turned red and it burned so bad lol. I can only imagine what a real peel would would do/feel like!!! :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly!

I am pretty diligent with my skin care routines. I have used hydroquinone products and I do see some improvements with them. It will lighten my skin overall but the dark freckle like acne marks are still evident. 

I visited the website you recommended in other posts to purchase the at home chemical peels and I came across one called the mandelic acid one that supposedly works for hyperpigmentation and says that it wont cause unwanted lightening in darker skin tones. My complexion is still definitely on the brighter side so I don't feel like I will have too much difficulty so maybe trying that one out won't have negative side effects?

What about the lactic and glycolic acid peels? Are those a much safer route for me to try with a medium skin tone? 

Quote: Originally Posted by xiarog1908 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Thank you for getting back to me so quickly!

I am pretty diligent with my skin care routines. I have used hydroquinone products and I do see some improvements with them. It will lighten my skin overall but the dark freckle like acne marks are still evident. 

I visited the website you recommended in other posts to purchase the at home chemical peels and I came across one called the mandelic acid one that supposedly works for hyperpigmentation and says that it wont cause unwanted lightening in darker skin tones. My complexion is still definitely on the brighter side so I don't feel like I will have too much difficulty so maybe trying that one out won't have negative side effects?

What about the lactic and glycolic acid peels? Are those a much safer route for me to try with a medium skin tone? 
Lactic and glycolic acid peels are definitely safer than TCA peels because they don't penetrate as deep as TCA, but again the higher in % you go, the higher the risk for irritation and possible hyperpigmentation.

I have seen the mandelic acid peel on their website, but I don't know if any of the lighter peeling agents (glycolic, lactic, salicylic, mandelic acid etc) is superior in terms of improving hyperpigmentation compared to the others. That's why I mentioned the blend of peeling agents that dermatologists can do, they can mix a specific peeling agent with ingredients that specifically target pigmentation (I believe Kojic acid is such an ingredient). When you're using a single, light peeling agent, I don't know to which extent the excess pigment is targeted.

My post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation from acne responded very well to Retin-A, and then the TCA peels took care of the rest. But still, it took several peels to get rid of the pigmentation, and I was still using Retin-A in between the peels. Getting rid of the pigmentation entirely took almost a year if I remember correctly!

Overall I'm really not sure if you can achieve the results you're looking for at home.

If you do decide to try it, let me know if it worked for you

Hi. My name is Annette and I have been using Retin A gel on my face for about 2 weeks now and my face did burn a lot and peel. I also noticed that what actually was more irritating on my face was the non stop itch. Is this normal? what can apply on my face and hands to control the itching? So I decided to try it also on my hands because with all the cleaning chemicals & washing dishes in hot water left my hands looking wrinkly and older than my age (42)! Looked more like 60's hands. My hands peels with the retin a alone but did leave 2 tiny burn marks that actually scarred! What would you recommend to avoid further scarring & burn marks on my hands and to prevent this from happening to my face with the TCA peel? I seriously need your advice and would be sincerely appreciative. Thank You.

Hey, I plan on doing a 15% TCA peel in the next week or 2. I've been doing nightly application of .025% Retin-A for 10 days. I plan on continuing for another week or so and discontinuing the day before. I have tough "rhino skin" especially on the cheek area where I've got some hyper pigmentation and a few ice pick scars. I'm also kind of tan (Italian) and I don't want to have any further hyper-pigmentation problems so I figured get a 2% Hydroquinone cream for post-peel. Anything else recommended? I also like to use Jojoba oil after my other peels. Helps w/ healing.

Thanks

Back