Rant - Sephora Inside JCPenny

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, I always thought that the Sephora store inside JCP was its own, independent Sephora store, DIFFERENT from when Macy's sells MAC or other brands.  Is that correct, or incorrect?  How confusing!

I was recently told at a SiJCP that returns made from online orders were deducted from their sales for the day, therefore hurting their sales quota.  They made my return, but you could tell they were hesitant and  would have preferred me to have mailed it back, instead of returning it in the store with them. 

I can understand how they feel about trying to have good sales numbers. It seems unfair that the return amount hurts their store  when they did not get the credit for the actual sale since it was done online. 

Also, as a buying/ordering online customer I don't think I  (customers) should have to worry about/ or be told about an online order  return hurting the  store's sales day tally.

Seems like Sephora should not deduct online returns from the store  sales quota the return is made in.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this or have ever been told this at a SiJCP  ?

Originally Posted by tinkgloss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was recently told at a SiJCP that returns made from online orders were deducted from their sales for the day, therefore hurting their sales quota.  They made my return, but you could tell they were hesitant and  would have preferred me to have mailed it back, instead of returning it in the store with them. 

I can understand how they feel about trying to have good sales numbers. It seems unfair that the return amount hurts their store  when they did not get the credit for the actual sale since it was done online. 

Also, as a buying/ordering online customer I don't think I  (customers) should have to worry about/ or be told about an online order  return hurting the  store's sales day tally.

Seems like Sephora should not deduct online returns from the store  sales quota the return is made in.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this or have ever been told this at a SiJCP  ?
I worked retail for several years in college, and in my experience, this is pretty common. When returns were made at my store, regardless of where they were purchased, the returned amount would be deducted from our daily sales. They shouldn't have tried to guilt you into returning it another way. Returns are a standard part of the retail industry!

That seems unfair.  It's been almost 20 years since I worked in retail, but where I worked, the only returns that counted against me were returns with my associate number on the receipt.  

Which meant that if items that I sold were returned on a day that I wasn't working, I would have negative sales for that day.  But we only cared about weekly totals, not daily, so it evened out.

I had an issue with the Sephora inside JCP at Christmas time.  My mother in law asked me what I would like as a gift and I said I wanted a Sephora gift card.  There is a kiosk in the Sam's club where she shops that had them in the past and I thought she would go there since she doesn't use the computer and she had asked me to point it out to her.  The Sephora inside JCP had just opened in late November here and when she saw it and recognized the name she was very excited, went in and asked them if  the gift cards would work in any Sephora store and on the online site as well.  The sales girl told her that they absolutely would and that Sephora was the same everywhere.  She gave me a $100 gift card that had the JCP logo on it.  I called the store and they said they would honor it inside the JCP store at the Sephora register or any other register but that it was only good in the inside JCP stores and that they were unaffiliated with Sephora.com or the stand alone stores.  When I asked if it was possible to get a refund so I could the money towards the online site (I wanted a holiday exclusive that the JCP store didn't carry) the sales lady told me I was crazy and that I was ungrateful.  The nearest stand alone store not inside a JCP is over 80 miles away and I don't drive.  I hardly see how asking if it was possible to get a refund for the gift card (with the receipt my mother in law kept) was crazy or ungrateful behavior.  She ended up feeling terrible about it and I gave up and purchased a Clarisonic with the gift card instead.  More than anything I was upset that my Mother in law was so angry and felt misled.  I know that they had just opened and that they may have been unaware of the policies but I feel like the distinction should be a little more obvious than it currently is.  The one nice thing about the JCP stores is they seem to have different Beauty Insider promos.  I was able to get a Josie Maran set with my saved up points that I hadn't seen offered anywhere else although I don't really have access to a regular store to compare the choices.  

Thanks to all above for your input.   It did make me feel bad messing up her sales. I just didn't know if it really is  SiJCP or the  regular store's policy.  After reading the responses sounds like it is their retail policy.   Guess that is part of retail!!  If I ever have another online return,  I am going to  mail it back to avoid this again.  

What? They must of have been new at working.. I work at Sephora inside JCP.

Okay just so everyone knows, you absolutely CAN return Sephora inside JCP items at a freestanding Sephora, and visa versa. We are having the issue where people are buying from our store and the  freestanding is denying the return simply because they don't want a loss to the store. But they CAN and MUST return it, so don't allow them to deny you. It does not matter if we do or do not carry the item, we can still return it (we just prefer not to. It can be a brand new product that is $115 and we can not sell the item and it HAS to be thrown away. We are not allowed to keep any returns so it makes us sad that products are being wasted and not only that but our store now has a loss of money) but that is not a  customer issue so just return where you can.

It is strange that they made that so confusing for you. We cannot scan each others receipts either, but as long as you have a drivers license we can still do the return. If you bring the receipt sometimes we can give some form of cash back (which if we do, we are giving you cash that we never received to begin with), but without the receipt it just becomes store credit (which will only work inside a Sephora inside JCP and not at the freestanding Sephora)

Well, just tried to make my first return at a freestanding Sephora on an item purchased at a JCP Sephora and was told it could NOT be returned there  (a regular Sephora), only at a  JCP Sephora.

Worker called the manager and she said the same thing. Really frustrating, my return item was only $12.00 and I was making a  $90.00 purchase. If their reason for denial was because they thought I was going to hurt store sales, that is ridiculous because my purchase was for more than the return, 

Anyway,  just thought I would share my rant since it just happened today. Guess not all Sephora's play by the same rules.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. I won't buy at JCP Sephora since hearing all this. If they are not the same store then don't call it Sephora. I'm glad I read this information! Thanks for posting.

I totally agree, client's take advantage of the return policy's. I love the sephora inside jcp in our city. They take on-line returns and even offer express consults, It;s like a second home for me. 

SORRY FOR YOUR EXPERIENCE.

WHEN YOU PURCHASE AT SEPHORA INSIDE JC PENNEY THEY WILL TAKE BACK PRODUCT .  AS LONG AS YOU KEEP YOUR RECEIPT, IT WILL BE HASSLE FREE.

IF YOU RETURN TO A FREE STANDING STORE, THEY WILL TAKE IT BACK ALSO.

NOT HAPPILY BUT THEY HAVE TO.  THEY HAVE TO TENDER IT WITHOUT RECEIPT BECAUSE JC PENNY RECEIPTS WILL NOT SCAN AT FREE STANDING. THEY TAKE YOU DRIVERS LICENSE INFO. 

SAME WITH FREESTANDING IF YOU RETURN TO JCPENNY.  NO RECEIPT TENDER .  DRIVERS LICENSE.

GOALS ARE MET THEN RETURNS MAKES FOR GRUMPY SALES ASSOCIATES WHO THEN HAVE TO MAKE UP THE LOST REVENUE.

:( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

SiJCP and Sephora are in a mutual partnership so it is a little confusing. It can be compared to a Starbucks inside a Target and a freestanding Target. SiJCP accepts returns from Sephora, and Sephora.com. The team members should not tell a client what is going to happen to the merchandise after the return is complete. As of Fall 2013, SiJCP can ring up Sephora and .com orders as a return with a receipt using a default code. Prior to that, it had to be a no receipt return because there was no other way to ring the item but the money should have been returned using the same payment method. I am not sure about Sephora freestanding. SiJCP will have to look up the price and if the item is not online or in the store, it can not be returned. If the bottle/ package is empty, it can't be returned either- yes people try to return empty bottles. As with all retail returns, it counts against sales and goals. This shouldn't concern the client and the team member making the return should not divulge information like that. It isn't always fun when someone makes a big return from .com and freestanding especially when the person making the return talks about how little SiJCP has to offer or only visits SiJCP to make a return. Regardless, every person visiting a Sephora or SiJCP for any reason (except to shoplift) should leave happy.

Wow! What a waste! They should have forwarded them onto me! I never turn down a sephora freebie!  ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Thanks dolls! xo

Last edited by a moderator:
My mom got me a JCP Sephora gift card for christmas with quite a bit of money on it, she was never told about the limitations on the card and now I'm stuck with a nearly useless piece of plastic. I originally wanted it for some online-only purchases and now I'm going to have to drive at least an hour away to find some items I didn't want in the first place.

I can't even return the card or get a refund for it, pretty irritated and disappointed right now. I wont be visiting these JCP locations after this.

My mom got me a JCP Sephora gift card for christmas with quite a bit of money on it, she was never told about the limitations on the card and now I'm stuck with a nearly useless piece of plastic.
Do a Google search, there are websites where you can exchange gift cards you don't want/can't use for gift cards you do want.  I've also seen gift cards for sale on eBay.  You might not get 100% of the value but it would still be better than $0!

What? They must of have been new at working.. I work at Sephora inside JCP.

Okay just so everyone knows, you absolutely CAN return Sephora inside JCP items at a freestanding Sephora, and visa versa. We are having the issue where people are buying from our store and the  freestanding is denying the return simply because they don't want a loss to the store. But they CAN and MUST return it, so don't allow them to deny you. It does not matter if we do or do not carry the item, we can still return it (we just prefer not to. It can be a brand new product that is $115 and we can not sell the item and it HAS to be thrown away. We are not allowed to keep any returns so it makes us sad that products are being wasted and not only that but our store now has a loss of money) but that is not a  customer issue so just return where you can.

It is strange that they made that so confusing for you. We cannot scan each others receipts either, but as long as you have a drivers license we can still do the return. If you bring the receipt sometimes we can give some form of cash back (which if we do, we are giving you cash that we never received to begin with), but without the receipt it just becomes store credit (which will only work inside a Sephora inside JCP and not at the freestanding Sephora)
I have a question bc I'm confused about something.... Can you return items bought online to a brick and mortar Sephora? I bought some mascara in a buying binge and want to return it, but I don't want to wait forever for it to go back on my gift card.

I have a question bc I'm confused about something.... Can you return items bought online to a brick and mortar Sephora? I bought some mascara in a buying binge and want to return it, but I don't want to wait forever for it to go back on my gift card.
I return online purchases all the time to freestanding Sephoras. I don't have a SiJCP close enough to return there, though, but I know you can return online purchases - I think they might have to ring it as a no-receipt return though?

I work at a SiJCP and it is a little bit different since you're also partly owned by JCP. We can do returns from the free standing Sephora and Sephora.com. However, our computer systems are JCP's computer register systems and can only pull up purchases made in JCP. That means that our computers cannot pull up receipt details from Sephora's receipt because they have different register software that stores data that is different than ours. The same goes for online returns.

We can process returns like these like we would for those without a receipt. Unfortunately, purchases made without a receipt can only get store credit back. There is an option that a manager can override this and give a refund in the original payment method. However, most managers here will deny it because it will not only come out of our goal but JCP's as well. Thankfully there is a free standing Sephora in the same mall just down the corridor, so we usually suggest that people return their stuff there. That's why the managers at our specific location generally deny overrides. But not every mall is lucky enough to have both a SiJCP and a Sephora.

Also, there are items that SiJCP doesn't sell and therefore won't be in the computer system. In this case, we can't return it at all.

I hope this sorta clears up any confusion between SiJCP and freestanding Sephora. Techinally speaking SiJCP also has to follow some of JCP's policies because it is considered a partner company in terms of ownership.

I had no idea the two were considered "different" stores by any means. I bought a couple Sephora gift cards. Bought an item at a SiJCP with those Sephora gift cards. Went to return the item to SiJCP and the associate tells me that they can only give me a gift card for JCP and that cannot be used online or in-stores at stand alone Sephora's. I thought this was unacceptable. My original method of payment was a Sephora gift card. I had another Sephora gift card on hand that she could have processed the return on. She couldn't do it. Since when do stores not accept "returning to original method of payment" when its a return WITH receipt? Oh well, I am never shopping at Sephora again. Horrible policy and horrible customer service. This is an incredibly poor business move/policy from Sephora/JCP. I don't care if it's JCP doing or Sephora doing, Sephora customers are suffering. I don't usually shop at JCP and SiJCP just doesn't have enough product of the brand of make-up I buy. Plus how much B.S. is it that some Sephora's, regardless of where, refuse to accept returns from other Sephoras? Nope, I'm not rewarding crappy business policies.

Ulta is right around the corner and they are getting my business from now on! 

Back