Real MAC or FAKE MAC???

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try 
icon_redface.gif

A woman here in Las Vegas was recently busted for selling fake MAC. It's at least a misdemeanor, if not a felony.

I sell makeup and have unfortunately ended up purchasing some fake MAC. There's nothing wrong with it. I use some of it myself. But I can't legally sell it and I ended up stuck. I now only buy MAC for a few very select sources.

Some of what's on ebay is authentic MAC. It is possible to purchase overstock, shelf pull, and discontinued MAC that is authentic. But there's much piracy with this particular brand. :-(

I recently bought a dazzleglass supposedly from the LE Alice + Olivia line in "If It's Pink".

I had a feeling it was fake, but it was $4 and I wanted to compare it. Honestly, I can't tell a difference

in appearance whatsoever. It is not as sticky, but everything else is the same.

When it comes to counterfeits you really don't know what you're buying. Some counterfeits are good knock offs but some can be down right dangerous if the people who made it used ingredients that are subpar such lead. Basically, buy at your own risk.

I don't really see the point in knowingly buying fake Mac, if you don't want to spend a lot of money why not buy good drugstore products?

At least then you know what you're getting and you're not putting possible unhygienic/unsafe products on your skin, or supporting someone who's scamming others.

If I bought a product that ended up being fake, I would take it as a loss and throw it out.

Hi ladies.

I would just like to say ...

Buying counterfeit anything (clothes, purses, cosmetics) is taking away from the actual company who produces it. I'd be hella pissed to make a product and have someone make an "exact" copy and sell it cheaper and who knows what they have made it with. Why make the company and employees suffer?

If you like the colour or don't want to spend the $. Find a dupe.

IF you are in doubt, make Google your best friend. For instance, you see a palette or eyeshadow or lipglass. Google the name or the collection*

I think we all know MAC doesn't make 120 eyeshadow with sponge tip applicators. Yet, I see quite a few on EBAY.

* I was on a website the other evening. I was looking at clothing and noticed they had cosmetics. I had to look. Low and behold they had hella MAC. I was interested in some of the blushes and pigments. They had Liberty of London eyeshadows with only the "color" name ... blue, yellow, pink. The packaging looked right. They also had blushes from another collection, the names were correct but the product itself was wrong.

Sorry if this is ranting but I get highly irritated when folks KNOWINGLY buy fake MAC. If it's too good of a deal, then it probably is gonna bite you.

- Dini

P.S. ... Speaking of fakes. Did anyone watch the PBS special last year about Canadian and Indian "fake" medications? It was hella skeeerrrryyyy. Some of the meds tested had AWFUL ingredients.

If some brands weren't so horrendously priced....

Some companies that actually do make exact replicas are willing to sell them cheaper.. I'll go with the company that isn't getting 99% profit!

I don't like buying 'fake' but I'll happily buy a dupe any day. Screw big companies and their fat pockets.

Originally Posted by Dinitchka /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi ladies.

I would just like to say ...

Buying counterfeit anything (clothes, purses, cosmetics) is taking away from the actual company who produces it. I'd be hella pissed to make a product and have someone make an "exact" copy and sell it cheaper and who knows what they have made it with. Why make the company and employees suffer?

If you like the colour or don't want to spend the $. Find a dupe.

IF you are in doubt, make Google your best friend. For instance, you see a palette or eyeshadow or lipglass. Google the name or the collection*

I think we all know MAC doesn't make 120 eyeshadow with sponge tip applicators. Yet, I see quite a few on EBAY.

* I was on a website the other evening. I was looking at clothing and noticed they had cosmetics. I had to look. Low and behold they had hella MAC. I was interested in some of the blushes and pigments. They had Liberty of London eyeshadows with only the "color" name ... blue, yellow, pink. The packaging looked right. They also had blushes from another collection, the names were correct but the product itself was wrong.

Sorry if this is ranting but I get highly irritated when folks KNOWINGLY buy fake MAC. If it's too good of a deal, then it probably is gonna bite you.

- Dini

P.S. ... Speaking of fakes. Did anyone watch the PBS special last year about Canadian and Indian "fake" medications? It was hella skeeerrrryyyy. Some of the meds tested had AWFUL ingredients.

In regards to real and or fake mac products I notices that "makeupofdesire" said that her mother is allergic to red and pink pigments, most of the red and pink pigments are not deemed eye safe. They are meant to use on the body not face. Even if you have worn it once I would be very careful because the chemicals used are not safe. Stay safe!

That's really good to know. Is it mentioned on the pigments at all?

Originally Posted by Jasmin Silva /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In regards to real and or fake mac products I notices that "makeupofdesire" said that her mother is allergic to red and pink pigments, most of the red and pink pigments are not deemed eye safe. They are meant to use on the body not face. Even if you have worn it once I would be very careful because the chemicals used are not safe. Stay safe!

It's usually the neon pinks and pure red shades.  And yes they will say if they are safe for eyes or not.  These unsafe colors are loose pigments usually and are sold from places like TKB.  They are used for soaps or are safe for face and lips but not eyes..

That person's mom may be allergic to Carmine which is in most red/pink colors.  It's pretty common to be sensitive to that.

Originally Posted by SarraSanborn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's really good to know. Is it mentioned on the pigments at all?
Most fakes will either not list the ingredients or list bogus ingredients. That's why it's buy at your own risk.

http://www.fda.gov/ForIndustry/ColorAdditives/ColorAdditiveInventories/UCM106626

Color Additives Permitted for Use in Cosmetics: Table

(21 CFR Part 73 Subpart C—Cosmetics)

Color Additive Eye Area Generally(Includes

Lipsticks)

External Use Specific Limitationsand Comments

21 CFRSection

Aluminum powder Yes No Yes   73.2645 Annatto Yes Yes Yes   73.2030 Bismuth citrate No No Subject to limitations Hair on the scalp 73.2110 Bismuth oxychloride Yes Yes Yes   73.2162 Bronze powder Yes Yes Yes   73.2646 Caramel Yes Yes Yes   73.2085 Carmine Yes Yes Yes   73.2087 β-Carotene Yes Yes Yes   73.2095 Chromium hydroxide green Yes No Yes   73.2326 Chromium oxide greens Yes No Yes   73.2327 Copper powder Yes Yes Yes   73.2647 Dihydroxyacetone No No Subject to limitations For use in tanning preparations 73.2150 Disodium EDTA-copper No No Subject to limitations Shampoos 73.2120 Ferric ammonium ferrocyanide Yes No Yes   73.2298 Ferric ferrocyanide Yes No Yes   73.2299 Guaiazulene No No Yes   73.2180 Guanine Yes Yes Yes   73.2329 Henna No No Subject to limitations Hair on the scalp 73.2190 Iron oxides Yes Yes Yes   73.2250 Lead acetate No No Subject to limitations Hair on the scalp; ≤0.6% lead 73.2396 Luminescent zinc sulfide No No Subject to limitations Externally applied facial makeup and nail polish; <10%; for infrequent use (e.g., Halloween) 73.2995 Manganese violet Yes Yes Yes   73.2775 Mica Yes Yes Yes   73.2496 Potassium sodium copper chlorophyllin (chlorophyllin-copper complex) No No Subject to limitations Dentifrices; ≤0.1% 73.2125 Pyrophyllite No No Yes   73.2400 Silver No No Subject to limitations Fingernail polish; ≤1% 73.2500 Titanium dioxide Yes Yes Yes   73.2575 Ultramarines Yes No Yes   73.2725 Zinc oxide Yes Yes Yes   73.2991
Includes Straight Colors and Lakes

(21 CFR Part 74 Subpart C—Cosmetics, and 21 CFR Part 82 Subpart C--Drugs and Cosmetics and Subpart D--Externally Applied Drugs and Cosmetics)

Color Additive Eye Area** Generally(Includes

Lipsticks)

External Use Specific Limitationsand Comments

21 CFRSection

D&C Black No. 2 Subject to Limitations Subject to Limitations Subject to Limitations Eyeliner, brush-on-brow, eye shadow, mascara, lipstick, blushers & rouge, makeup & foundation, nail enamel 74.2052 D&C Black No. 3 Subject to Limitations No Subject to Limitations Eyeliner, eye shadow, mascara, face powder 74.2053 FD&C Blue No. 1 Yes, also Al lake Yes Yes   74.2101 D&C Blue No. 4 No No Yes   74.2104 D&C Brown No. 1 No No Yes   74.2151 FD&C Green No. 3 No Yes Yes   74.2203 D&C Green No. 5 Yes Yes Yes   74.2205 D&C Green No. 6 No No Yes   74.2206 D&C Green No. 8 No No Subject to Limitations ≤0.01% 74.2208 D&C Orange No. 4 No No Yes   74.2254 D&C Orange No. 5 No Subject to Limitations Yes Mouthwashes, dentifrices; ≤5% for lipsticks 74.2255 D&C Orange No. 10 No No Yes   74.2260 D&C Orange No. 11 No No Yes   74.2261 FD&C Red No. 4 No No Yes   74.2304 D&C Red No. 6 No Yes Yes   74.2306 D&C Red No. 7 No Yes Yes   74.2307 D&C Red No. 17 No No Yes   74.2317 D&C Red No. 21 No Yes Yes   74.2321 D&C Red No. 22 No Yes Yes   74.2322 D&C Red No. 27 No Yes Yes   74.2327 D&C Red No. 28 No Yes Yes   74.2328 D&C Red No. 30 No Yes Yes   74.2330 D&C Red No. 31 No No Yes   74.2331 D&C Red No. 33 No Subject to Limitations Yes Lipstick products ≤3%; mouthwash, dentrifices 74.2333 D&C Red No. 34 No No Yes   74.2334 D&C Red No. 36 No Subject to Limitations Yes Lipstick products ≤3% 74.2336 FD&C Red No. 40 Yes, also Al lake Yes Yes   74.2340 D&C Violet No. 2 No No Yes   74.2602 Ext. D&C Violet No. 2 No No Yes   74.2602a FD&C Yellow No. 5 Yes, also Al lake Yes Yes   74.2705 FD&C Yellow No. 6 No Yes Yes   74.2706 D&C Yellow No. 7 No No Yes   74.2707 Ext. D&C Yellow No. 7 No No Yes   74.2707a D&C Yellow No. 8 No No Yes   74.2708 D&C Yellow No. 10 No Yes Yes   74.2710 D&C Yellow No. 11 No No Yes   74.2711
*Includes straight colors and lakes 

**Excludes lakes except where noted. Only aluminum lakes on alumina are permitted for designated lakes.

Some brands include a paper insert stating what colors are eye safe. Makeup forever products say on the bottom which colors are eye or lip safe. Sometimes there is a picture of an eye or lips with an x or slash across it. You should be able to check on the product's website as well. Many pigments that are red pink and orange are not safe for the eyes or lips, I've also seen a few blue products that are not lip safe but ok for the eyes. I dont get the difference between the lip and eye but that that's according to the company and their policies which are probably more geared towards covering their tracks than anything else. Technically all the MAC glitters are not eye safe if you look at the box it will say on most. I one used a glitter on the inner corners of my eye and my eyes were really itchy and red (not so cute) that's when I looked it up. I do still use glitter just a small amount on the upper part of the lid with a fluffy brush, eyes closed, then I brush off excesses while keeping my eyes closed. This just gives a little more shine and dimension while still keeping my eyes safe. If I really want some sparkly eyes now I just use rhinestones with clear eyelash glue. Sparkle on everyone!

That's so helpful everyone! Thanks for the info on the red/pink issue. I have a pigment in Magenta Madness from MAC, do you think it's safe for the eye?

The "fake" is not similat at all.  Ive seen them, they dont have the chunks of glitter or the color payoff like the real thing.  

I love fake mac, because its the same quality. I got the Well Dressed blush as my first one from ebay, thinking it was real. I knew it wasnt as i had known there was fake mac and compared it to other blushes of mine, obviously fake. But the quality is better on some, some worse. For instance, the fake hello kitty collection is not good quality, except for a palette or two. Regular mac in the permanent collection is basically the exact same product. Even glitter pigments are sometimes good. Save your money and go for fake mac, its seriously the same stuff.

[spam link removed - PLEASE DO NOT SPAM OUR FORUMS]

Back