Secret Santa 2014 input wanted

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So for people that have done it...how hard is it to ship/receive internationally?

I would LOVE some stuff I can't get my hands on....but I have zero idea how to work the post office. Is it difficult?

So for people that have done it...how hard is it to ship/receive internationally?

I would LOVE some stuff I can't get my hands on....but I have zero idea how to work the post office. Is it difficult?
It is definitely not hard (i've done so, not for this swap, but generally, from here to a variety of places internationally and from several european countries when I lived in them) but it can get pricey so investigate shipping costs before so you're not stunned when the time comes. Mark whatever you send as a gift and never put a high value, are my two other pieces of advice.  These are ways you can generally help avoid any fees to the recipient on their getting the package.

It is definitely not hard (i've done so, not for this swap, but generally, from here to a variety of places internationally and from several european countries when I lived in them) but it can get pricey so investigate shipping costs before so you're not stunned when the time comes. Mark whatever you send as a gift and never put a high value, are my two other pieces of advice.  These are ways you can generally help avoid any fees to the recipient on their getting the package.
Oh yes, it's really important to mark things as gift and give a rather low value - at least from the recipient's point of view because it usually means no extra import duties and taxes for us. A great piece of advice!

It's also not allowed to ship nail polish to and within EU by plane. So it's best to avoid it as it may explode.

This will be my first Secret Santa, and I am so beyond excited! I'll be stalking the forums like crazy waiting for sign ups. Is it too early to be organizing a wishlist? Cause I am.

Seriously though. I'm really looking forward to sending someone a big box o' goodies. Because isn't that what Christmas is really about? Getting heaps of makeup? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

This will be my first Secret Santa, and I am so beyond excited! I'll be stalking the forums like crazy waiting for sign ups. Is it too early to be organizing a wishlist? Cause I am.

Seriously though. I'm really looking forward to sending someone a big box o' goodies. Because isn't that what Christmas is really about? Getting heaps of makeup? :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
That's what I tell Santa every year  :smilehappyyes:  So far, so good!

So, I'm a little confused. Are we supposed to have specific items on the elfster wish list, or no? Like do we say "I want -insert brand- lipstick in -insert color-", or "I would really like lipsticks in -insert colors-"?

So, I'm a little confused. Are we supposed to have specific items on the elfster wish list, or no? Like do we say "I want -insert brand- lipstick in -insert color-", or "I would really like lipsticks in -insert colors-"?
You can do either, but it *really* helps some people (okay, me) if you have lots of very specific items, down to brand and shade (I'm personally doing a massive apartment-cleaning that is involving dumping my MAC collection, which *was* going to mean dumping it all in the trash until I was reminded of the Back to MAC program, so if my Santee has MAC lipsticks on their list, it's entirely possible new MAC lipstick will be in a certain person's future, but only if I have a list of specific shades to work with)! 

If you just want to give a general idea, then use the text tab on the Add to Wishlist page.  If you would like to add a specific item, you can either enter that text in that field, the URL for the item on the Link tab or (MAGIC SHALL ENSUE) install the Elf It! browser button, and then when you're on the page of the item you want to add to the list, just click that button, edit the description as necessary (size/shade/scent/just truncating the text/whatever), and there you go! 

(For the sake of OCD need-a-list-of-specifics freaks like me, adding a lot of very specific items is *awesome*.  You might think it's more helpful to not be picky and to not name particular items, but it's actually *less* helpful for a lot of people.  If we have a detailed list to work from, we know the things are wanted and would not be dupes, and then we won't stand in Ulta crying because we're completely lost without a list!)

(And some of us have been playing around on Elfster for a while already -- I didn't realize my first Elfster exchange was in 2006 until I went back through my history! -- so we've discovered some tricks on the wishlists, like how you can drag-and-drop to rearrange your list, but only in the app, or you can do certain other things, but only on the website.)

You can do either, but it *really* helps some people (okay, me) if you have lots of very specific items, down to brand and shade (I'm personally doing a massive apartment-cleaning that is involving dumping my MAC collection, which *was* going to mean dumping it all in the trash until I was reminded of the Back to MAC program, so if my Santee has MAC lipsticks on their list, it's entirely possible new MAC lipstick will be in a certain person's future, but only if I have a list of specific shades to work with)! 

If you just want to give a general idea, then use the text tab on the Add to Wishlist page.  If you would like to add a specific item, you can either enter that text in that field, the URL for the item on the Link tab or (MAGIC SHALL ENSUE) install the Elf It! browser button, and then when you're on the page of the item you want to add to the list, just click that button, edit the description as necessary (size/shade/scent/just truncating the text/whatever), and there you go! 

(For the sake of OCD need-a-list-of-specifics freaks like me, adding a lot of very specific items is *awesome*.  You might think it's more helpful to not be picky and to not name particular items, but it's actually *less* helpful for a lot of people.  If we have a detailed list to work from, we know the things are wanted and would not be dupes, and then we won't stand in Ulta crying because we're completely lost without a list!)

(And some of us have been playing around on Elfster for a while already -- I didn't realize my first Elfster exchange was in 2006 until I went back through my history! -- so we've discovered some tricks on the wishlists, like how you can drag-and-drop to rearrange your list, but only in the app, or you can do certain other things, but only on the website.)
Do we link our "wishlist" in our signature? Or how do we do that?

Catching up on this thread, so excited for secret santa!

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this so if not mods please move.

I am super confused by Secret Santa this year.  Can someone please explain the purpose of using Elfster?  Is this soley for the collecting of address and assigning people?  It seems redudant to me to have a wish list on MUT and a wish list on Elfster.

Plus I assume to register on Elfster you have to give an email address and some other type of information to get an account.

If someone can clarify all this it is appreciated as it makes a difference in whether or not I choose to participate.

TIA!

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this so if not mods please move.

I am super confused by Secret Santa this year.  Can someone please explain the purpose of using Elfster?  Is this soley for the collecting of address and assigning people?  It seems redudant to me to have a wish list on MUT and a wish list on Elfster.

Plus I assume to register on Elfster you have to give an email address and some other type of information to get an account.

If someone can clarify all this it is appreciated as it makes a difference in whether or not I choose to participate.

TIA!
You don't have to have a list on both sites. The Elfster list makes it easier however if there are items that can't be wished on Elfster then posting it on MUT would help. As for using Elfster as a whole, it is to cut back on work for us (specifically me) since it'll allow the member to post their address so only the Secret Santa will have that info. Last year there were a couple of address mishaps (thankfully all but one was caught before the package was sent but even the one that wasn't still made it into the person's hands) so I'm hoping Elfster will take care of that issue.

You don't have to have a list on both sites. The Elfster list makes it easier however if there are items that can't be wished on Elfster then posting it on MUT would help. As for using Elfster as a whole, it is to cut back on work for us (specifically me) since it'll allow the member to post their address so only the Secret Santa will have that info. Last year there were a couple of address mishaps (thankfully all but one was caught before the package was sent but even the one that wasn't still made it into the person's hands) so I'm hoping Elfster will take care of that issue.
Thanks!  So we have to make an account on Elfster for the purpose of getting addresses only (can use wishlist if you want) and then we have to meet the requirements to participate through MUT for Secret Santa?  Just want to make sure I have it all down.

For the most part that is correct. On Saturday the main sign up page will come open but basically it's this.

1. Create your Elfster account and make sure to use the nickname field with your username so know who is who there.

2. Create a wish list - here or on Elfster.

3. Post in the sign up thread that you've signed up on Elfster so we can keep tabs on who is participating from MUT.

4. Fill out the survey here on MUT ("Getting to know me") to help your Secret Santa to get to know you better.

5. Have fun.

Rules are different this year as well.

Secret Santa participation rules:

• Members who participate must have a minimum of 50 posts by the 1st day of sign ups.
    Note: "drive by" posts ("hi!" or "I agree" type of posts) won't be counted. QUALITY posts. Get to chatting with your fellow MUT members, you'll be surprised how quickly you accumulate posts if you participate on the forums!

• Must be in good standing with no serious infractions and/or negative trade ratings within the last 12 months.

• Sign ups for Secret Santa will begin Saturday, October 25 and last through Saturday, November 8. This is a TWO week window to sign up. This year we will be using Elfster.
    Note: Because we're using Elfster this year your real name will be used so please make sure you fill out in the nickname field your MUT username so we know who is who.

• Gifts must be sent out no later than December 1 for international exchanges and December 15 for domestic.
    Note: This will give you almost one month to shop and ship. For those participating in an international exchange please refer to the USPS or UPS site for details on when the deadline for shipping international happens to be. The international postal dates typically ends on or around December 1 to 3 which is why it's critical if you have an international Secret Santa giftee to mail your gift by those dates. For those within the US the cut off date is December 15 to ensure your SSG has the item by Christmas. You may ship earlier if you wish but please do not ship later then the cut off dates.Navy holiday mailing dates
  • UPS holiday mailing dates
  • USPS holiday mailing dates
  • Endicia holiday mailing dates

[*]Shipping priority is not mandatory however tracking is mandatory. If you use Paypal to ship there are 1st class options that may be less expensive and will typically include free tracking.

[*]A tracking # is mandatory. Tracking #s should be sent to Santa's Elf (TBD) for our records.
Note: International traders, tracking may or may be available however an export # will be issued which acts like a tracking #.

[*]Total gift value should be approximately $25.

[*]Item(s) must be NEW and never used, swatched or opened.

[*]Open to international traders HOWEVER note that gift receiver is responsible for any import fees, duties or taxes (if any). Also international shipping takes longer - up to 12 weeks depending on where the person lives and how it was mailed. (See rule for shipping deadlines.)
Note: If you would like to trade only within your country please state that.

[*]Once you sign up please do not back out as it will cause problems with the assignment list. If you do back out you may be prohibited from participating in future events.

[*]Forum username must be included somewhere on or in your gift to indicate who the gift is from. You may omit your real name if you so choose however do not omit your username.

[*]Posting photos of the gifts you receive is NOT mandatory however ACKNOWLEDGEMENT that you did receive the gift IS mandatory. You may or may not like the gift(s) sent HOWEVER please acknowledge that your gift was received so we may mark you off the list. I will post a list of everyone who is participating and will remove names as they acknowledge that they received their gift.
 ​
Participating in Secret Santa is at your own risk.
 ​
  • This is a swap exchange. As with all swap exchanges you are at risk for a Secret Santa to flake out and not send a gift at all. If you do not receive a gift by December 23 please let us know. This is why tracking is important. It is mandatory and it is an inexpensive way to prove that an item was sent. If you use Paypal to ship tracking is included even in first class shipping.

• ALLERGIES: If you have an allergy or sensitivity PLEASE let us know so we may inform your Secret Santa. Please note this will not guarantee that your Secret Santa will be able to prevent any reactions as some companies do not list all ingredients.

As far as I know, using the Elfster features are optional, but I think it will be really helpful if most people use it. To add things to your wishlist, you can use links (which will make it super easy for your Santa to shop) or you can download the 'Elf It!' button (kinda like the Pin It! button if you're a Pinterest person) & just add things that way. I just think that's so much easier than having to type up a list! And if it's something non-specific like 'any purple lipstick,' you can just add that as text to your wishlist. 

Also, I have a feeling there will be a lot of members participating in multiple swaps (I probably will be). Using the Elfster wishlist will help minimize duplicate items because Santas can mark things as 'purchased.' Your 'santee' won't be able to see what's been purchased off of her list, but everyone else will be able to so they'll know not to buy those things. 

PLUS, you can ask your person question anonymously. So you can just ask them questions yourself instead of always going through an Elf/Sugar Plum Fairy/whatever. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

It's pretty handy!

As far as I know, using the Elfster features are optional, but I think it will be really helpful if most people use it. To add things to your wishlist, you can use links (which will make it super easy for your Santa to shop) or you can download the 'Elf It!' button (kinda like the Pin It! button if you're a Pinterest person) & just add things that way. I just think that's so much easier than having to type up a list! And if it's something non-specific like 'any purple lipstick,' you can just add that as text to your wishlist. 

Also, I have a feeling there will be a lot of members participating in multiple swaps (I probably will be). Using the Elfster wishlist will help minimize duplicate items because Santas can mark things as 'purchased.' Your 'santee' won't be able to see what's been purchased off of her list, but everyone else will be able to so they'll know not to buy those things. 

PLUS, you can ask your person question anonymously. So you can just ask them questions yourself instead of always going through an Elf/Sugar Plum Fairy/whatever. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

It's pretty handy!
I agree with all of this, plus your wishlist has thumbnail images so its MUCH easier to get an overview of the kinds of things/colors/styles your person likes (instead of googling everything).

If you can "pin" or "love" or "bookmark" or "add to favorites" you can elf! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back