So overwhelmed with my oily skin!

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FYI to anyone interested - Birchbox has the Paula's Choice Skin Balancing Oil-Reducing Cleanser for $16, and it's free shipping right now.  I just used my first 100 points and ordered one for $6.

UPDATE!

So a huge update, I think I found the answers to our oily skin prayers!

1. I found my Clinque oil control foundation which glides on like a charm, still get oily throughout the day but it's bearable.

2. I would blessed with samples from LA Minerals, thank you so so much! What came: a small kabuki brush, foundations, dusk concealer, oil control mattifying powder, Lush nude colored blush.

Reviews:

Kabuki brush is awesome, doesn't shed and gets a nice even blend into the skin.

Foundations: These are part of the Valley Girl collection. The colors it came with were medium beige, medium neutral and med/dark neutral.

- The color that I use most is the Medium neutral since I am fairly tan. 

- I enjoyed this foundation a ton! I wore it to work one day (this is where I usually produce the most oil) and I only blotted my face once during the entire 8 hrs and even then my face didn't really need it, it had a natural glow to it but I was looking for a matte look. My makeup was still on when I was done with my shift which has never happened before. I really like this foundation because it seems as though it blends with the skin when it produces oil rather than wiping off when it produces oil.

- I will note that I stopped using my primer because I realized it was very oil based, I was using the Palladio herbal primer.

- I'm still super new to using mineral powders, this was actually m first time so what I did for full coverage was put a thin layer of my Clinque oil free foundation and then a thin layer of the mineral foundation... not sure if you can do that but it worked for me. If I only use the powder then you can still see pores.

- Today I only used the powders for a natural less covered look!

Concealer: I cannot express how much I love this! I put this on after my liquid foundation but before the powder (again not sure if you're supposed to!). 

- Funny story which you can skip: I first got the concealer in the mail and in my excitement I dropped it, all of it. To keep this short the small amount I was able to use amazed me I put it over a small but really red zip and it just looked like normal skin! That same night I was so upset my gracious boyfriend went online and bought me the full size, I don't know which I'm more in love with ;D

- Personally I think this was the best product I got! I've had cheap liquid concealer and the only thing it is good for is highlighting that usually last for 30 mins or to take a picture.

Oil Control Mattifying Powder: Since I haven't been too oily I'e only used this once and actually liked it. I used this at work after blotting with papers and for the rest of the day I didn't have to touch my makeup. I had a nice matte look but don't add too much of else you'll be a different color. I'm still getting used to how much powder to use, again my first time!

Lush Nude Blush: I have not tried this just yet only because I usually like to add some color to my face for a nice soft look. Hopefully I find a look where I can use this. Any tips on how would be great.

- I assume this product is just like the foundations and will probably go on great!

Again I'm still new to working with powders. I still use the liquid foundation because with the powders I go get some dry spots on my cheeks which the liquid foundation helps a lot with. I'm assuming if you're super oily with no dry spots then full powder may work. Also all of the powders feel light and not super heavy much like my MAC powder that I have.
Link where you can find all products: http://www.laminerals.com/

And pictures!

34cfb452-6f83-4f9e-a847-3d262337c6f1.jpg

f1e68583-0840-4aa0-abbf-71f40f680a2d.jpg

66703b4b-68a6-46a4-b849-9f052455d932.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't read through all the comments but are you using mineral make up? Some people will get oily using this. Have you tried doing a clay mask? I have one from vitamin shoppe and it's indian healing clay. I mixed it with a little ACV and it helped with my oilyness. Even if your skin is oily, don't forget to moisturize! I hear this all the time. But your skin still needs it. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I also like Smashboxs photofinish in green. (I think that's what it's called, my brain isn't working right now with this headache).

I've actually never used mineral make up until now and it's helped me a lot with the oiliness when I go out. When I'm at home I don't wear makeup though just to give my skin a break. I'm on the hunt for a good mask and a good moisturizer as of now! I've only had sample sizes of Smashbox since they can be pricey for the normal sizes and always rant and rave about them I just don't wanna cough up the money, though with the money I've spent on cosmetics lately I could have already gotten it lol. 

I'll look into that clay mask! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I have dehydrated oily skin. I understand your pain, it is so hard to find the right products to fit your skin type! There are a lot of beautiful foundation out there that I can't wear because it make very oily within a couple of hours.

I recommend finding a good skincare that works for your skin. In the morning, use a light moisturizer. At night, use a hydrating mask or thick moisturizer. One of my favorites is the Laneige Water Sleeping Mask (you can find this online or at Target).

You can also try sheet mask. Asian sheet mask are the best and the price is cheap. My favorite brands are from face shop, aritaum, innisfree, and beauty diary. You can always find a different vary of sheet mask online.

Since my face is oily, my current favorite foundation is Tarte Amazonian Clay Full Coverage Powder Foundation. When applied it does look powdery at first, but then after 2-3 hours it gives the most beautiful finish ever! The oiliness absorb the powder make up therefore giving the face a nice glow.

Let know me if you do try any of these :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Look up milk of magnesia.  You shouldn't be exfoliating that often!!!  Stick to the basics for your skincare.  You can look up a regimen on acne.org they have a lot of helpful stuff for everything skin.  But basically a simple face wash, I use clean & clear for sensitive skin and the regular version.  A moisturizer, Cetaphil lotion works for me.  I am careful not to use products with mineral oil, they break me out.  A toner or salycilic acid every once in a while.  Make sure you apply moisturizer before your makeup.  Use a light layer of foundation, if needed go on top of that with another light layer.  Use a beauty blender or make sure you really blend it out.  Go on top of that with a loose powder and big fluffy blush.  I noticed my Physician's Formula translucent loose powder keeps me oil free longer.  Especially on my forehead and nose.

I really feel your pain!  (for the faint of heart, don't read further as I describe my acne issues in detail) I developed a terrible condition a couple of years ago where I secrete excess sebum to the point where any face flexing, like smiling, could force oil out of my pores (during an outbreak) Literally people could see the whitish oil pop out of my skin from nose to chin and ALL over in between. Further, other wart like things popped up on my cheeks and jaw line that turned out to be a build up of the cells that wouldn't loosen with exfoliating or anything else I tried.  I know that sounds so incredibly gross, and it IS incredibly gross, but also my reality.  It is hit and miss what works and what doesn't.  I've spent more hours searching for solutions to my sudden onset of oiliness than I did living life...for months! I finally figured out that 1) what would help one person would not help another (so I no longer spend every night and all day on weekends hunting down a solution) 2) the product that gives you the AHA moment may not have anything to do with controlling acne/oil (at least not by title or #1 ingredient/focus) 3) when you find something that works STICK WITH IT!  I hope you are able to find what you need.  Like another poster said - you are beautiful - I'm sure people don't even notice your skin condition behind your pretty face!  Good luck!

I've had this problem for over 10 years and I have tried everything from products at boutique spas to as-seen-on-tv options.  About 6 months ago I found a more successful routine and for what it's worth I'll share:

AM: Lucrece Vitamin C Cleanser OR Eminence Pro-Biotic Cleanser

Marula Oil

Shampoo: Something really clean without parabens, chemicals or dyes....this helped around my hairline

PM: Same cleansers as above (I rotate)

Marula Oil

2x Week: Exfoliate with Eminence Strawberry Rhubarb Scrub

1x Week: Mask with Eminence Pro-Biotic Masque, a clay mask, or another deep cleanser of your choice.  What I love about the Pro-Biotic Masque is that you may sleep with it on!

I'm finding that less is more and my skin doesn't rebel against me with this routine.  Best of luck!

I have combo skin, and since my late teens/early 20's, I have used Marli Skin Care.

My mom's hair dresser sold the entire line and it is wonderful! She was also a make-up artist and told me that if you washed your skin twice a day (Marli' Collagen Gel Wash), toned twice a day after you washed (Marli' Toner-this restores the PH Balance to your skin), and then, believe it or not, moisturize your face, (I used the Marli Vitamin EDA Cream until I was about 38, then switched to the Wrinkle Erase Cream), that it will balance your skin, which will lessen the production of oil, which cuts down on your oily skin! She told me that help my oily skin, and believe it or not, she was right! This is my daily routine for over 20 years now and it really works! I have tried it all-astringents, lemon juice, you name it! This is the best!

I also live in the deep south, spend a lot of time in FL! Their Danyel Cosmetics Foundation is the only foundation I have found that will not melt off my face! I have used it since I was about 18 or 19. I am in my forties no and still LOVE IT! Use the translucent powder to set it, and if it is really hot and humid, I may touch my face up with my powder once during the day, but that is it! It really does stay on all day long! My aerobics/zumba instructor uses it, too! Loves it! Stays on her as well! OH, best thing of all-it feels like I have nothing on my face and covers everything-even my freckles!

Last edited by a moderator:
Try using a beauty oil! Incorporate them as best you can. You can use one for your nighttime moisturizer. Also, the Josie Maran Cleansing Oil (basically a makeup remover) really helped tone down my oil!

Oily skin starts inside your body. I have the oiliest t-zone, and after doing some research, I started taking pantothenic acid and niacinamide supplements, 1500 MG each daily, and as long as I take them regularly, my skin stays normal and I have no oil or shine issues.

Back