Starlooks July 2014 (SPOILERS)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the loobook.... Even if it is bold for some to use all at once, I think a color here and there with neutrals will be awesome.

I am an orange/coral lipstick kinda of gal so I would be happy with that. A lip palette would be fun.

It is so funny that they picked this pop "punk" band from LA since I know of them because they just bought tons of pieces from my best friends jewelry clothing company here in Montreal. They are really nice girls but super funky and hate boring so if they even had a say for the box it will definitely be all color all bold.

Very excited to see what we get!! though i am still waiting for my June box. lol.

I am wondering if the lipstick shown is the tendergloss pooh bear, which I own and swatched in the tendergloss discussion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if this has been posted before, but I asked about my birthday box and this is how they replied:

We are actually in the process of changing over our loyalty and birthday programs to a new and improved points program that ALL subscribers will be able to take advantage of. We will announce that via email as soon as it has launched. We sincerely appreciate your business!

This would have been my first birthday box so I'm a little disappointed, but I am hoping that the points program works out alright.  How do you ladies think it will work?

Not sure if this has been posted before, but I asked about my birthday box and this is how they replied:

We are actually in the process of changing over our loyalty and birthday programs to a new and improved points program that ALL subscribers will be able to take advantage of. We will announce that via email as soon as it has launched. We sincerely appreciate your business!

This would have been my first birthday box so I'm a little disappointed, but I am hoping that the points program works out alright.  How do you ladies think it will work?
This concerns me....one of the reasons I love Starlooks is that they DON'T have a points system like Ipsy and Birchbox....I really really hope they don't mirror other subs.

I also think its pretty awful to start a new loyalty program and kill it within the year it was created, especially as so many loyal subscribers truly love it!

*sigh* I suppose as Starlooks gets bigger they will have to make more changes  to keep up with others. But I really liked Starlooks the way it was!

The birthday thing is SUPER disappointing *hug*

I know.  It's my birthday on Sunday & I've been SO looking forward to my Starlooks birthday box this month.

I guess I don't mind the points system if it's done in a way that mirrors what they have already done.  For example the loyalty gifts have been $35 in free stuff.  Maybe they'll give us 35 points making each point a dollar or something along those lines to use to buy whatever we want in the shop.  I'm okay with that as long as I get to pick what I want.  Same with the birthday gift.  If they let me pick my own birthday present I'm good with that.  I just hope we get something.  It would be sad to not get a birthday gift this month & then have them roll out the birthday points in August if you know what I mean.  Not that we "deserve" birthday boxes to begin with.  They're just so generous that I look forward to it every year.  Starlooks is one of my favorites & they've always done well with everything they've done.  I have faith that their point system will work well.

I know.  It's my birthday on Sunday & I've been SO looking forward to my Starlooks birthday box this month.

I guess I don't mind the points system if it's done in a way that mirrors what they have already done.  For example the loyalty gifts have been $35 in free stuff.  Maybe they'll give us 35 points making each point a dollar or something along those lines to use to buy whatever we want in the shop.  I'm okay with that as long as I get to pick what I want.  Same with the birthday gift.  If they let me pick my own birthday present I'm good with that.  I just hope we get something.  It would be sad to not get a birthday gift this month & then have them roll out the birthday points in August if you know what I mean.  Not that we "deserve" birthday boxes to begin with.  They're just so generous that I look forward to it every year.  Starlooks is one of my favorites & they've always done well with everything they've done.  I have faith that their point system will work well.
I like your outlook! <3 I'm going to try and be positive about it too. Starlooks hasn't 'burned' me in the ways that some other subs have so I really should just wait and see before getting too anxious about it.

You're totally right about Starlooks not "burning" it's subscribers!  I was one of the ones who lost out 30+ in the Bondi fiasco and never got my money back.  Starlooks never lies about anything and they're really generous with rewards.  I hope that we get an equal value in points as we did with the loyalty rewards.  I was already planning the next order I was going to make around that program.

FURTHER PROOF WHY STARLOOKS IS AWESOME. *ok, I may be a bit of a fangirl* I just had to share this. starlooks.png

I'm interested to see what ends up being customized. It's tough because part of me wants to pick every item & color in my boxes & the other part of me really loves the surprise every month. Starlooks has sent me some stuff I thought I would hate & they all turned out to be things I can't live without!!! I'm scared if they let us customize our boxes too much we will lose that element of trying things we wouldn't try on our own.

I'm excited either way though. I really do love Starlooks!

I'm interested to see what ends up being customized. It's tough because part of me wants to pick every item & color in my boxes & the other part of me really loves the surprise every month. Starlooks has sent me some stuff I thought I would hate & they all turned out to be things I can't live without!!! I'm scared if they let us customize our boxes too much we will lose that element of trying things we wouldn't try on our own.

That is totally my thing too! I love the surprise but I also do like the idea of picking an item or two....so torn. Either way, I look forward to what happens. I tend to play it safer when I decide my choices so I like it when they give me more bold items. *like last month, I never would have picked out that yellow eye liner, but I ended up loving it!*

Yeah, I'm a bit torn. I love the surprise, but it is also fun to pick stuff out. I think it might be nice if they did like 1 customizable item that we choose and still surprise us with the rest. I never would have chosen a bright pink blush, a brow compact or a dark brown/red blush myself, but loved all of those once I got them.

It'd be nice to maybe have customization a few times a year, like to pick shades for foundation or concealers. That would be cool and still we could have the surprise for other items.

what I stated is that I would like a box based on my preferences.  I don't want to pick every time or color, but I would like them to take in account my personal likes/dislikes.  But it is difficult.  I actually am quite happy right now - the only thing that I would really personalize is lip products (don't send me red!!) and no mascara.

Foundation = match my skin tone.  They should work with the customer to pick what the right color would be for you.  Their swatches are awful, they need to have realistic swatches on their website.

Two things:

1)  I had a feeling there might be an incentive program revamp around this time because I noticed that the card announcing it only listed two quarters and ended mid-year.

2)  In my ideal world, we would be able to customize skin tone and type, and then we would get certain products (concealer, powder, etc.) based on that information, but then other times, everyone would get the same stuff, like yellow eyeliner, to shove us out of our comfort zones.

I'm having a hard time with that last question of the survey:  Based on profile or curated by a makeup artist with similar taste?  Eh, I'll go with curated by a makeup artist.  I *really* don't want to pick out each item myself.  I subscribe so I do *not* have to pick everything out!

Edited for clarity.

I am with you all who like the element of surprise but wouldn't mind seeing customization for foundation/powder/brow type items.

I just really love being forced outside what I would choose for myself and finding out I actually can work with it or even love it!

I sent this email to info@starlooks:

Hi,

I just finished taking the starbox survey, and I was hoping there would be a place to write more specific comments. 

I've been a starbox subscriber since December '13 (I've received 6 boxes), and it's my absolute favorite sub. I love the products, the quality, the value, the looksbook for inspiration, and all the ways you give back to your customers/subscribers with birthday gifts, referral bonuses, and loyalty gifts.

My absolute favorite thing about starlooks is the way each box is a carefully curated look that reflects current trends or seasonal colors. It's so nice to get a package in the mail that contains a complete look rather than a handful of samples that don't have anything to do with one another. I also really appreciate that the items are not ones I would normally choose for myself. I've learned a lot about the art of applying makeup and my own personal taste from being gently pushed outside my comfort zone by my starbox each month. I would hate to see that go.

I wouldn't mind seeing customization based on skin or hair color for foundation or brow products ect, but I would be a little sad to see the element of surprise disappear if the subscription changed more than that.

I hope your company isn't considering changes to the Starbox subscription in order to be more like other subs. It's the differences that set it apart.

Thanks for reading!

I cant seem to open the survey :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

If it does work, then it times out on me...

I can't wait until it's customizable. At 37, I'm not trying wear anything neon colored. Grown and sexy here. Not wild and bright.

I finally got the survey to work!! Woot! I would really love to have one item customizable especially when it comes to face products (foundation, bronzer, concealer, blush) since I am pretty tan and therefor some items do not work on me as well since the color does not show not even as a highlighter.

The reason I would like to customize one item in the box is because not only do I like the element of surprise but that is the purpose of subscribing to a monthly box for me...If I wanted to pick out everything I wanted, well I would just go buy my own cosmetics in a store, or online. I think the point of subscriptions is to try something new, dare to get out of your comfort zone. I would never learn anything new in makeup since I would just customize to items that I use all the time and I know. But again, this is just how i see it :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I agree!! There are some things that should be customized, like foundation. Perhaps even a don't ever send me choice as well (red lip products & black eyeliners would be on my list) But everything else, bring it on! I like the element of surprise too :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I almost don't want it to be customizable at all. Some months I get things I will absolutely never use, and I feel like that's the luck of the draw. What I love about this subscription is that (at least not so far) they don't send out foundations, or other products like that. I hate receiving that kind of stuff because I have very particular skin and I have very few options that don't make my skin freak out. Starlooks continuously pushes me out of my comfort zone, and since I started this sub, I know I've not only become more adventurous, but I've also become much better at applying makeup and much more creative. (Okay, I can probably thank this place for the last part too).

I'm really not overly concerned because I think this is such a great company they'll come to some sort of middle ground. It'll be an option for those who want it, and those who don't won't have to worry about it.

It seems like, for the most part, around here people want maybe one customizable item...but today I noticed that a "freebie" website has posted the link to the survey :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> That means that a bunch of people who are not at all familiar with the brand/sub are going to take the survey for the sole purpose of getting something, anything free. This is a bit of a bummer, because they could totally skew the results, since they would just be giving any random answer for the sake of a free product, not for the sake of making the subscription the best it can be.

Back