Sunscreen for the Face

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I break out if I put sunscreen on my face too (as well as any products that promise to "matte" your face).

However, a few years ago I started using Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisturizer. It's specially formulated for the face and I haven't had a single blemish because of it. The only drawback is that it's only SPF 15. But it's been great for my skin, both as a moisturizer and as a sunscreen.

Have you tried Biore Pore Minimizing Lightweight Moisturizer SPF 15, Oil-Free yet?

The problem with most sunblocks is that they clog pores. Next time you shop for moisturizers, check if they are non-comedogenic or 100% oil-free.

I personally love the Biore Moisturizer. It doesn't break me out and I'm acne-prone.

I wouldnt recommend the Eucerin one tho. Its too greasy and heavy...

Hope this helps!

i use OMI Sun Bear and Mentholatum. i have the oily skin and some acne scars. these sunscreen can help me cover some scars and they won't make my face to be oily.

Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen SPF 55 with Helioplex. It's seems sticky at first application, but after you've spread it all over your face, it dries to a velvety soft finish. I put it on under my makeup and it does not feel heavy at all. I love it!

I second La Roche Posay Fluide Extreme, however, I don't break out very much. It is for oily skin though, so it could work.

You most likely are breaking out because you are using a high spf chemical sunscreen. Higher spf formulations contain more oils and pore-clogging ingredients. You might want to try the Eucerin moisturizer with spf 30 like someone else mentioned - with a physical blocker you are far less likely to break out. My dermatologist always recommended Purpose's moisturizer with spf because it contained a physical blocker too. If you wear foundation, you should be applying additional spf as well since pretty much all makeup contains titanium dioxide.

If you want to try a physical block with a high UVA rating (physical blockers typically have low UVA ratings), you should look into SVR's tinted sunblock with an spf of 50 and a ppd of 20. It's chemical free, offers really high protection, and doubles as a light foundation.

I also second neutrogenia dry touch -less greasy than la roche posay and easily to use with other products (less expensive too). Also, you might want to try an oil cleanser like someone else mentioned; ever since I've used mine from DHC, I've never had a bad breakout. Hope you find something that works for you!

Originally Posted by pinkbundles /img/forum/go_quote.gif Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen SPF 55 with Helioplex. It's seems sticky at first application, but after you've spread it all over your face, it dries to a velvety soft finish. I put it on under my makeup and it does not feel heavy at all. I love it! I tried Neutrogena Age Shield Face Sunblock SPF 90+ today, but it made my skin hurt. I've also tried La Roche Posay Extreme Fluid and Vichy Sunscreen but both of those gave me whitening.
I'm thinking about trying Avene Emolusion instead? Btw, this is what I'm looking after in a sunscreen:

-Non whitening

-Contains ZincOxide and either Mexoryl or Helioplex

Any other suggestions to suncreens?

I used the Neutrogena one mentioned (the 70 spf one) and it photographs HORRIBLY. My face looked so white!

I'll just use it for when I go exercise. Definitely NOT for a day out

I recently received Juice Beauty - Spf 20 Mineral Medium Moisturizer

Hydrates and leaves the skin glowing.

My skin breaks out very easily too. I am using the Clinique Super City Block SPF 40. You can also get it in SPF 25.

I really like this as it does not irritate my skin. It is tinted and very light, with fluid consistency. It does not add any colour to the face but it gives my face a nice dewy look. I would recommend trying this if you have not had any luck with most suncreens. You should be able to get a sample so that you can try it without buying which is what I did.
smile.gif

I have the same problem! I find that caudaile and YONKA brand are so delicate, they have sunscreen epsically for the face and body
biggrin.gif

I've been using La Roche Posay's Anthelios sunscreen.

It's a much longer lasting sunscreen so you don't have to reapply it as often as other products. The FDA approved the longer lasting active ingredient two years or so ago. It is light, absorbs well, doesn't leave that greasy feeling and doesn't have a scent. (I can't use products with a strong smell without feeling sick.)

Since I tend to be a bit on the lazy side, I like the fact that I don't have to remember to slather another layer on every few hours.

Originally Posted by pretty_pink13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif I use clinique's super city block spf 40, it doesn't break me out and gives my skin a little glow. Ditto! I love the fact that it's slightly tinted and a little glowy. Doesn't break me out and absorbs nicely for wear under my makeup.

I never had any whitening problem with LRP, but my Vichy sunscreen yes, i have to compensate by using a darker foundation, which i rarely do so in reality i add more blush !
laughing.gif

I have noticed though it depends on which tube i use, i don't have any whitening problem with a kids' sunscreen.

I use Mineral foundation for sunscreen. If you use 2 layers it's about an spf between 20 and 30. Use a heavier one with not a lot of fillers. Good brands can be found on mineral boards.

I haven't but apparently it contains tinosorb (which is a kick ass sunscreen) so i'd say go for it. It's a tad expensive though.

I've heard great reviews on that one... and for Avene sunscreen in general (well, a lot of them contain parabens, which I try to avoid).

True, but it seems unless you go organic, the "big" brands put parabens in them. My mother watched on tv the reason why the avene sunscreens are expensive is because they contain thermal water. I wanna try them, but really when i see the price difference i think adding a few euros on hte price tag just for water is pushing it, i don't care if it's thermal.

Yeah, that's their ''special'' ingredient.

Natural sunscreens are mostly from titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, they make your skin look white (not attractive at all
smile.gif
)

I've found some drugstore sunscreens that are paraben free, I'll see how those'll work out...

Back