What has made the most dramatic difference in your skin?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An organic and Mediterranean (sugar free, dairy free, alcohol-free and soda free) diet,

daily (stress-reducing) exercise, antioxidants/anti-inflammatory supplements and a consistent organic skin care routine.

(*I also have never smoked and never ever skip sunscreen.)

Alcohols can dry out and damage skin (actually speeding up the breakdown of collagen in the skin) and many facial products contain this.  So it is best to go organic and look for products that are alcohol-free and are in gel or cream form (foaming cleansers can be too drying).

Same goes with toners and moisturizers - alcohol-free only!

If your skin is dry, opt for more cream or oil-based cleansers.  (If you have combo or are acne-prone, stick to gel cleansers).

Over-exfoliating can also be damaging, as well as over-scrubbing, and any facial products with coarse texture or beads (they actually cause microscopic tears in your skin).  So stick to gentle products and don't overdo it.

Retinol is one of the most recommended anti-aging ingredients, however some people's skin is too sensitive to use it.  (There are many products which contain retinol, however most of them also contain a lot of chemicals and fillers, so I personally would not use them.)  Antioxidants like green tea, astaxathin, Vitamin A and C are all great for fighting free-radicals (which lead to premature aging.)

Be sure to wear sunscreen every single day (even if it's cloudy).  And always moisturize (under makeup and before bed).

Keeping hydrated (with water, green tea, coconut water) and eating healthy are also important in having vibrant skin.  ( **Consuming too much sugar makes your skin's collagen break down faster. ) 

Consume more water-rich foods (fruits and veggies) as well as dark leafy greens.

Lean protein also helps keep skin (and hair) strong and healthy.

Also be sure to include healthy fats and oils (like those found in fish, avocados, walnuts, and olives) to keep skin supple, as well as Vitamin D (helps your skin retain moisture, along with omegas).

Hyaluronic acid is another important ingredient that can help skin looking young and healthy. 

Products I use/recommend:

Sunscreen: 

- Eltamd UV Clear SPF 46

Moisturizers: 

- Earth Science's Fragrance-Free Almond Aloe moisturizer (day or night)

- Oshiglow's oil-free Hyaluronic Acid moisturizer (day or night)

- REN's Evercalm Global Protection Cream (heavier cream suitable for drier skin types) for daywear, under makeup

Cleanser:

- Eilieen Mai's Salicylic Acid gel cleanser (if you are still prone to breakouts)

- NYLSkincare's Rose Water face wash (very mild, gentle cleanser; non-exfoliating)

- Detox Charcoal Cleanser by HolisticOrganics (etsy)

- deliziososkincare's Watermelon & CoQ10 cleanser

Toners: 

- deliziososkincare's Green Tea toner

- deliziososkincare's Watermelon & CoQ10 toner

- Derma E's Age-Defying Toner with Astaxathin and Pycnogenol

- Astara's AHA Nutrient Toning Essence Lotion

- Aphrodite's Aloe & Olive oil toner (if your skin is dry)

- SilkNaturals' AHA and BHA toners

I also recommend checking out Gabriel Organic's organic skin care products, as well as The Body Deli's, and the organic FacenEarth skincare line (etsy).

Consider incorporating facial steaming into your skin regimen (a couple times a week) to really help open up and cleanse your pores.

Keeping the air in your home clean (with an air purifier or houseplants) also helps your skin.  (Avoid being around smokers, as second-hand smoke can also cause premature aging.)

Daily supplements:  Green tea, ginger, vitamin c, astaxathin, resveratrol  and a hyaluronic acid supplement. 

Drink with plenty of water.  And never, EVER skip sunscreen.

While much of skin's aging is predetermined by genetics, we can control the environmental factors (photoaging) and how we treat our skin. 

So always be gentle and take time to invest in the right products, lifestyle and regimen.

Before, I was stressed all the time due to work and school papers, but when I've decided that exercise should be a habit, it made a huge impact. My daily routine is a 30 minute cardio vascular workout three hours before I sleep. I've read from http://tgp.com.ph/blog/medicine-for-fever-exercise-helps-sleep/ the correlation between exercise and sleep. Exercising keeps my body warmer by 2 degrees and after this, my body's going to cool down and that's the perfect time to sleep.  I run and bike a lot now. I sleep longer thus, resulting to natural and highly restorative rest. It's hard when I started but when I see how I am now. I'm glad I've embraced it. I always get compliments on my glowing skin.   

"... one of the biggest causes of aging is oxidation of the cells. That's why antioxidants are so important for the body and skin. Based on that, I think topical antioxidants like vitamin C could be helpful."

In my experience using a Vitamin C serum as well as Argan Oil has been the most effective for my skin as I reach my 30s. I like to use Vitaminc C serum in the mornings and Argan before bed, give it a try.

Belif's "the true cream moisturizing bomb" has made a big difference in my skin. adequate moisture = so important.

everything i use is for a purpose and actually works! 

check my routine out here

(link removed)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tried many different products for so long. With SomaLuxe Argan Oil, I've seen the MOST results in the QUICKEST amount of time. My skin is clear, soft, and my pores are basically invisible. I can use it on my hair too!!!

My skin and my girlfriend's skin have been dramatically changed by a relatively new line called Hush & Dotti. Simply put, we both have tried everything out there. Nothing worked. Till I saw a girl on their Facebook page and purchased their kit. Since doing so I'm 4 weeks in and have amazing clearer skin. 

So that's made the most dramatic and uplifting difference in our lives.

Once I used my mum's moisturizer for about a month without thinking of the repercussions. That's what makes my skin very dull and I could feel that the skin was sagging. 

A simple skin care regime worked well for me. Running 2 to 4 times a week really improved my skin - elasticity and glow wise. I also very much look forward to the exciting Way skin care device (Indiegogo) in a few months! It's an elegantly-designed gadget that  analyzes the skin to give suitable skin care advice as it monitors the humidity and UV levels of the environment that the user is in. Cool, I know!

The most dramatic difference in my skin was made with using the right makeup for me. Also, learning how to use the colors correctly with my look. It is hard to find the right makeup for your skin and look, but I have found great success with Mary Kay. Their blog have the best advice for any skin condition and any look.

**admin removed links**

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the biggest difference for me has been switching to an SPF moisturiser, using it daily as part of my skincare routine. I was a bit late on properly taking care of my skin in the sun, but the summer just gone has been a huge change for me and my skin feels much better.

I've tried a few, but my favourite is named Self Defence with SPF30, which I now use everyday anyway. The added level of protection was very welcome, but I don't suppose I'll get much use out of it in the next few months!:

http://www.templespa.com/skin-care/day-night-moisturisers

Back