Why is my hair dry and frizzy, poofy, ugly? (Frustration! Please read)

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
use a usda organic certified product otherwise its just going to cover up the problem not solve it within. 

I have long, waist length, thick, curly hair and I've almost always had issues with this...I recommend to use a smoothing treatment and/or an lusterizer and distribute evenly throughout your hair. I rarely use serums for frizz, just for a tiny bit of added shine (I only use 3 drops for my hair and absolutely make sure it's distributed-a little bit goes a LONG way.) I also use leave in creams, as opposed to sprays, and make sure that I work all treatments (smoothing, lusterizers, and leave in creams) over my hands so that they end up evenly distributed throughout my hair; I pay special attention to my ends and make sure to work a little more treatment over the ends than the rest of my hair. Also, keep in mind that if you have a slight wave to your hair, it's highly unlikely that your hair is going to be extremely sleek or flat-for the most part, it takes a lot of heat to make it that way-just because that's the way your hair grows. To my knowledge, it was only in the 90's that we started to get truly good hair styling tools (ceramic was revolutionary!!!), and if you look at hair styles before that-you had to spend a lot of money for a blow out or know how to do one or have naturally straight hair to have flat hair, which is probably why the hair styles in the 80's were over the top big and the 70's looked like pretty unhealthy hair years to me.

Also, I'm totally with Zadi on the cut front-if you have split ends your hair is naturally separated and in no way uniform. I also totally agree about the girl in the keratin pictures-she looks like she needs 3-4 inches of dead hair off. Regular hair cuts definitely make for healthy hair; even if you look at the before picture, you can tell that her hair is way healthier about 5-6 inches from the root than the ends.

whatever you do do NOT do a kertain treatment! Those are POISON FOR YOUR HAIR! I have thick coarse big poofy frizzy hair and the keratin treatment left it even worse. Do not put chemicals in your hair. I know youre not going to like this but cut off your hair. I guarantee you it will grow back so much better, And while short, use coconut oil, aloe vera, avocado, mayanaise and wash your hair with COLD WATER. It leaves your hair so much more calm. Whatever you do no not comb your hair while wet,  because hair is the most fragile while wet. wait till its partly dry. and braid your hair a lot after. If you are going to use hair products make sure there is no sulfate and i suggest you dont use hair products because of all the alcohol they have but if you are going to use them try to use natural organic products. and thats it. it will take a while but after trust me its all worth it!

I don't think keratin treatments are as bad as the above poster is making them out to be. One of my family's good friends gets a keratin treatment done twice a year and she couldn't be happier and her hair looks GREAT!!

Products with added  Keratin are not the same thing as going to a salon (or, God forbid, buying a home kit off of amazon) and getting a Keratin or Brazillian straightening treatment. Suave does indeed have a nice , supper low priced line of products with added keratin, which is basically a protein. It's the quick version of what you are doing with all of that egg.

Now, too much keratin can also make your hair feel too thick,and too straw like. So you won't want to use the small bottle of leave in keratin treatment every time you wash.

I use Morrocan Argan Oil by Organix every single time I wash mine. I put about a nickle sized amount in my hand, rubs hands together,then rub it on my hair from the ends up, letting the least of it go on my scalp. I have been bleaching for over 20 years, and my hair was FRIED. With regular hair cuts (Good cust, at a good salon) , getting my hair thinned out each time, and using this argan oil, I have reached the point now that I can flat iron every day and get nice smooth hair that looks glossy. (although it;s NOT the hair shown in my profile pic, I'm actually not even blonde anymore!)

If you must comb it when wet, get a wide, wide toothed comb with really blunt ends, and go very slowly and gently. This actually makes the application of the argan oil easier.

If you need to blow dry, try to wait until the hair has at least air dried to 50 %, then use a hair dryer that is able to shoot blasts of cool air every minute or so. This helps to smooth the cuticle and make the hair lie flatter and smoother.

again ,about your water. If you have sulfer(sulpher) in your water, MOVE. Get OUT!   We take trips to a river cabin in the summer, and the water there is full of sulfer,called "hard" water. It makes the toilets stain reddish brown, clothes washed dull,skin feel dry, and worst of all, hair will blow up like a tumbleweed.  If you are used to your water, you won't smell it, but we go in the cabin and can smell the rotten egg smell right off. If this is you, I'd really wash the hair with jugs of bought water.

You can probably take a vial of your water in to your school's chemistry class and get them to test it for you. At least you'd know if it was that making your hair frizzy.

www.urnaturalshine.bigcartel.com You will love love love it for you hair... You will have silky, shinny, and smooth BEAUTIFUL HAIR!!!

My hair is naturally frizzy and out of control! It always has been. For me, I have to blow dry with a round brush to get it smooth. Eufora is amazing when it comes to our hair types. The beautifying serum help moisturize and provides smoothing benefits. It also nourishes your hair with amino acids, omega fatty acids and antioxidants. A lot of drug store hair care brands are filled with plastics and cilicones that end up drying out hair in the long run. You should think about investing in quality products especially if you are unhappy with your hair.

Try Neutrogena hair mask and Organix coconut leave in conditioner. I notice a huge improvement using those products; I cannot live wo them now. It really helps with split ends and frizzy hair.

I'm currently using Tsubaki's new shampoo series for damaged hair!

Edit - Please no links to personal blog for promoting, thank you! - Cookie

Originally Posted by Firefox7275 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Nobody's hair is naturally frizzy, you just haven't found the right combination of techniques and products.
Non-African American hair (AA hair is structurally different) curly and wavy hair that is combed and brushed out will become a frizz ball. 

Never brush your hair dry! Never ever ever.  Curly or wavy hair must ALWAYS be brushed when wet, or at the very least damp. Curly hair is already naturally brittle, so brushing it while dry will only tear it up, causing frizz frizz frizz. Wet your hair and apply conditioner before you brush it out with a WIDE TOOTHED COMB. Your brushes and combs should only be made of plastic or wood. Steel-toothed combs are too harsh for curly hair and will make it frizzier, even if the hair is brushed while wet. USE A LEAVE IN CONDITIONER. ONLY STYLE YOUR HAIR WITH YOUR FINGERS. DO NOT EVER BRUSH IT-- never ever ever!!!

Originally Posted by RoseNHerCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Shampooing and conditioning is NOT enough. It is absolutely necessary that you apply leave-in conditioner after you wash your hair (and try to wash your hair only like 2-4 times a week; use a dry shampoo for oily roots).  here a couple of inexpensive leave-in conditioners. Oh, and it's crucial that you get your hair thinned out regularly.
If possible stop washing your hair with shampoo at all. "Wash" your hair with conditioner instead and only do this once a week if at all possible. Your hair will respond and it will feel like hair again!

Here is the curly girl hair method: 

http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair

My hair is wavy, too. If I use a brush or a comb my hair would frizz into a smaller version of a longer afro, and look like I had static electricity! I no longer use shampoo-- never ever. My hair is healthy and NO FRIZZ. I always use leave in conditioner just as described in this great post. It is necessary. I use it almost every day. 

Originally Posted by kwal1er /img/forum/go_quote.gif

use a usda organic certified product otherwise its just going to cover up the problem not solve it within. 
Hair is dead and cannot be treated "from within." All hair is completely dead. There is nothing we can with any products except to smooth it or cut it off. It  doesn't matter if the treatment is chemical or "natural." 

Originally Posted by NoInsanity /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also, I'm totally with Zadi on the cut front-if you have split ends your hair is naturally separated and in no way uniform. I also totally agree about the girl in the keratin pictures-she looks like she needs 3-4 inches of dead hair off. Regular hair cuts definitely make for healthy hair; even if you look at the before picture, you can tell that her hair is way healthier about 5-6 inches from the root than the ends.
Yes, the bottom of her hair is just destroyed and will never be totally smooth. Snip Snip!

First let me start here! Being in this industry for ten years there is NOTHING wrong with blowdryers, curling irons, etc ..

You need a good serum like Davines Momo Fluid its an anti frizz solution that works absolute wonders on the hair followed by davines Oi! This will create shine without super oily hair later.

Honey Clouds

I had the same problem. My solution is do not I say do not put any type of conditioner in your hair. it just contributes to the frizzy problem. Just wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo and no conditioner. then towel dry hair and apply fizz serum and shine spray and a pea size amount of some kind of cream styler and voila. Let hair dry naturally or blow dry, then let it be or straighten. every once in a while if you do need to conditioner your hair then apply a little tiny amount on the ends only.

Back