Face Primers

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
what's your favorite face primer? i've heard urban decay's is good but what other good ones are there?

thanks!

Smashbox is most peoples favorite.  I use Palladio face primer.  It's a cheaper alternative to Smashbox.

nicee, i'll give it a try. i would love to try out smashbox but it's just not in my price range. thanks for the advice!

If you read the ingredients in most primers, dimethicone is a main ingredient as it fills in pores and fine lines. Aveeno sells a Daily Moisturizer that is actually for face and body and comes in a big bottle for like $5...and the best part is it's over 20% dimethicone and most primers are 1 to 2%

hmm that does sound good! can the aveeno one substitute a primer altogether? or just for the dimethicone ?

You don't have to use one but it really actually helps.  I use mineral makeup and before I used primer I used Olay face lotion.  It didn't stick as well as it does now, it was pretty sheer in spots.  It also made my skin feel really tight and dry.  Then when I discovered primer and my makeup goes on as it should and my skin feels normal.

Just because I love Smashbox more than anything, you really have to at least give it a try! I've told a couple of my friends to do this, go to Sephora and have them make you a sample. Once you try it, you'll realize how great it is. I love it because my skin is normally oily and I don't even need to use oil blotting pads when I use the photo finish primer. Even if you just buy the $16 small bottle of it, the primer will last a while. It's really worth at least trying. I would have never paid $36 unless I really thought it was worth it. I tried it for like five days after having tried cheaper alternatives (i.e. Bare Minerals) and I was sold :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

It's called Aveeno Daily Moisturizer, like I said it's for face and body, and for me I use it as moisturizer and primer in one as it does have a high dimethicone content. people with dryer skin may choose to use a light moisurizer underneath it however.

You know you have the right bottle if you turn it over and the ingredient is dimethicone at like 21% I think.

Exactly. And In my opinion I think it's fairly non greasy, which is not true of some primers. Even my mother in law who is makeup handicapped loves that moisturizer.

My favorite is DHC Velvet Skin Coat. I need moisturizer (Philosophy Hope in a Jar) + primer or my foundation will practically slide of my face before mid day.

The only one I've ever tried is Smashbox Photo Finish Light just cause everyone wouldn't shut up about it, haha.

Primers are still a relatively new thing to me.

It's pricey, and I wish I got the regular one since I'm so dry.

But it seems to work well for me (seems to help with preventing me from becoming flaky along with moisturizer) and it hasn't broken me out like it has with a lot of people.

I wouldn't recommend it if you're prone to acne.

Back