Face Primers

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What does it compare to?

I hear so many good things about Monistat as a primer. But I'm still kind of iffy about trying it. What is it's texture like? Does it go on clear?

Originally Posted by KaytieBaybie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

THIS! I agree, at least just try Smashbox Photo Finish Primer if you can. It really is a good primer. I have oily skin, so it fills up my pores and mattes it a bit, leaving my skin feeling really smooth. My makeup goes on easier and much more flawless when I use my primer. I think it's a pretty good investment, it will last you an incredibly long time.

I do currently use Smashbox photo finish primer, Ulta had a 3 piece mini primer set a while about for like $18 so i thought that would be a good chance to give them a try. Especially since i'd done my homework and knew that it had dimethicone.

I like it alot. It feels nice. Works well on my oily skin. Competes with my unrelenting nose though, but what product wouldn't. I agree, try it. Little beads of primer spread far which is good.

Originally Posted by angels41105 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I do currently use Smashbox photo finish primer, Ulta had a 3 piece mini primer set a while about for like $18 so i thought that would be a good chance to give them a try. Especially since i'd done my homework and knew that it had dimethicone.

I like it alot. It feels nice. Works well on my oily skin. Competes with my unrelenting nose though, but what product wouldn't. I agree, try it. Little beads of primer spread far which is good.
OMgosh! Do you too get that super shiny, oily nose? I thought I was the only one. My nose gets incredibly oily, its so annoying to deal with. Yes, using just a little bit of the primer goes a long way.

it goes on clear.  It comes out like a gel and then dissolves on your face like a powder almost... feels really nice and not too heavy.

Originally Posted by KaytieBaybie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What does it compare to?

I hear so many good things about Monistat as a primer. But I'm still kind of iffy about trying it. What is it's texture like? Does it go on clear?

Overall, it really depends on the type of skin each person has. What might work for anyone of us might not work for someone else (cheap or expensive).

I have normal skin with enlarged pores on each side of my nose and the Clarins Instant Smooth works great for me. First time I purchased it at Ulta the second I got off of ebay for $10

I like the Smashbox Photofinish but don't feel it does the same job at covering my pores as Clarins.

I've used both Smashbox Photo Finish Light and Avon Magix Face Perfector.  For my skin, they both work equally as well.  Avon is simply $30.00 cheaper.  I too have very oily skin and even with both of these primers, by about noon, my nose and forehead would be shiny and I'd need to do a touch up.  However, since learning the Milk of Magnesia trick from this site, I am so happy to say that I no longer get shiny.  My face stays matte from the minute I put my makeup on around 7 am to the time I wash it all off after work.  the Milk of Magnesia is, by far, the best make up tip I've ever found. 

After reading about it, I bought some of the Monistat Anit-Chaffing Powder Gel.  I can't review it yet though.  I put it on my face Sunday but then never ended up doing my make up. 

Yeah  I would say Monistat has a similar consistancy to smashbox photo finish. Actually i would say Smashbox is the only other primer i've tried that feels like Monistat.

Sadly smashbox hasn't done much for the pores on my nose. I dont think anything can. It could be a result of a horrible sunburn as a kid (or just lovely genetics) They are pretty enlarged no matter how clean and toned. Using Mario Badescu's silver powder helps a little bit to tighten. That's messy stuff though.

I have never heard of Milk of Magnesia until i joined here. I'd like to hear more. Where can I get it, how do i use it, what does it do?

My nose is by far the oiliest part of my face. I've tried smashbox pore and line filler, my makeup didn't sit well on that.

I wanted to add that EmilyNoel83 posted a vlog yesterday recommending some dupes:

She recommended Hard Candy Sheer Envy for a replacement for Smashbox and Paladdio for a subsitute for UD eye primer.

Originally Posted by NotAVampireLvr /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I wanted to add that EmilyNoel83 posted a vlog yesterday recommending some dupes:

I actually liked the eye primer mentioned.. It was my first.. but I couldnt see whenever I was about to run out.. so I switched to L'oreal because its a clear bottle lol.

Latest posts

Back