Face Primers

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never had that problem. Mineral always does a bad job at covering for me.

Originally Posted by Bonnie Krupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Mineral will feel so much better on your skin.  I always felt a little greasy with liquid :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Same here. I've been using liquid and it has good coverage without the greasy feel.

Originally Posted by SarraSanborn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've never had that problem. Mineral always does a bad job at covering for me.

I don't have loads of money to spend on make up, so I tend to look for cheaper alternatives. I have used Hard Candy face primer and Elf mineral infused face primer. Hard Candy was the first face primer I've ever used and I really loved it. It made my face feel so silky. I like Elf too, it has a silky feel on my skin but not as much as Hard Candy. I'm definitely gonna try Aveeno tho. I went to Sephora and was testing out different face primers on my skin and as far as how it made my skin feel, I didn't find a huge difference in the more expensive ones. But that was me personally.

I am not a huge fan of ELF eye primer :/

Originally Posted by SarraSanborn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have yet to use a face primer. But ELF's eye primer is FANTASTIC. Other than that I just use concealer and foundation and set it with a powder or spray.

yeah which is why i'd wanna try a mineral foundation. liquid foundation tends to look and feel cakey which i don't like =

I have a few different primers for my face, but I've only tried out one so far. I own ELF's, Sally Hansen, MAC's Prep and Prime with spf, and Smashbox's Photo Finish in Light, and I have Monistat's Anti Chaffing Gel. I have only tried the Smashbox one so far. I've only used it a couple of times, so I need more time before I can really say how well it works.  But from the small amount of time that I've used it, I really like it and it does my skin and makeup wonders!  I have oily skin and this doesn't add to the oil. I look like I have a dewy glow, which is what I want.

Prior to using the Smashbox primer, I had foundation or tinted moisturizer or concealer, or something that sat in my pores and I would have to rub it in.  Now, with the primer, I don't have that problem anymore.  My makeup stays in place and it doesn't melt. I can't say enough good things about it!  As good as UDPP is for the eyes, the Smashbox Photo Finish is as good for your face. It just works so great!  I will try the ELF primer when I use their foundation. I haven't gotten around to trying that yet, either.  And I have Sally Hansen airbrush foundation to try with that primer, too. And same with the MAC's Prep and Prime.  So I have a lot of trying out to do! LOL  But I do know that I really like the Smashbox primer.  It's going to be hard to beat!  I'm excited to see the differences between all of them.  Maybe there will be a lot, and maybe not much difference at all.  It will be interesting, to say the least.

I've never used the Aveeno but I did go on a research after reading this thread & from what I read it seems that it's the Aveeno Baby Daily Baby Lotion that works as a face primer. Just thought I'd share   :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Bonnie Krupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Mineral will feel so much better on your skin.  I always felt a little greasy with liquid :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I agree, I have gone through soo many different brands. I started with MAC but I always felt it was way too heavy, and now I think I realize that Benefit is great for my skin...I dont like using foundation so I just stick to Tinted moisturizers and You Rebel is great, and it isnt greasy at all

I have oily skin and I'm using both Smashbox Photofinish Light and Chanel Le Blanc. The later is far better as it gives you a glow (not shine) thru out the day. Make up still looks good when I get home around 9.

I like Mally's Perfect Prep Poreless Primer, very silky. I just bought the new Urban Decay All Nighter Makeup Setting Spray and I really like that one also! Def keeps my makeup from fading and moving.

the body shop's primer seems interestingg. i tried Smashbox photo finish primer in the original formula and the light. i love the light one because it doesn't make my skin oily at all! stayed on through dancing at a wedding for hours as well haha :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I've only tried 4 Smashbox photo finish. Good but I found the texture changed towered the end of the bottle. Plus it's quite pricey. Body shop face primer. Horrid. Feels so greasy and tacky even after a few mins Gosh. I quite liked it.. But didn't feel it did anything for me I'm currently using boots 17 and for 4.99 it's great and I love love it. The feel is somewhat liquid gel but as you rub it in turns to a powdery feel. Applies and spreads great and you only need a tiny dot

Originally Posted by xina751 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you read the ingredients in most primers, dimethicone is a main ingredient as it fills in pores and fine lines. Aveeno sells a Daily Moisturizer that is actually for face and body and comes in a big bottle for like $5...and the best part is it's over 20% dimethicone and most primers are 1 to 2%

I noticed this too. And i'm just going to throw this out there..... you know the Monistat Chaffing Powder-gel, well that's mainly dimethicone as well. Heres what their site says about it :

http://www.monistat.com/soothing-care-powder-gel

And it looks like from what i just googled i am not the only person to think of this heres an ingredient comparison:

Monistat Chafing Gel
ir

Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone, Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Trisiloxane, Dimethicone/Vinyldimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica

Smashbox Photofinish Primer

Cyclomethicone, dimethicone crosspolymer

Camellia Rose Skin Smoothing Primer

Dimethicone, Cyclopentasiloxane, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica, Squalane

Side note on ingredients:

Dimethicone: Forms a water proof barrier. Can feel heavy if not properly formulated.

Cyclomethicone/cyclopentasiloxane: Very lightweight spreading agent. Mostly evaporates after you’ve applied it.

Dimethicone cross polymers: These are dimethicone combined with another molecule and they can have many different properties depending on what that other molecule is. One type of cross polymer gives the powdery smooth finish that Monistat talks about.

oh hey now there ya go! if it's a powdery finish that sounds great for oily skin or summer time!

Originally Posted by janetgriselle /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just because I love Smashbox more than anything, you really have to at least give it a try! I've told a couple of my friends to do this, go to Sephora and have them make you a sample. Once you try it, you'll realize how great it is. I love it because my skin is normally oily and I don't even need to use oil blotting pads when I use the photo finish primer. Even if you just buy the $16 small bottle of it, the primer will last a while. It's really worth at least trying. I would have never paid $36 unless I really thought it was worth it. I tried it for like five days after having tried cheaper alternatives (i.e. Bare Minerals) and I was sold :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

THIS! I agree, at least just try Smashbox Photo Finish Primer if you can. It really is a good primer. I have oily skin, so it fills up my pores and mattes it a bit, leaving my skin feeling really smooth. My makeup goes on easier and much more flawless when I use my primer. I think it's a pretty good investment, it will last you an incredibly long time.

I started using the monistat chaffing gel this week and its been working great... Just throwing that out there. I plan to ask for a sample of smashbox next time I go into Sephora...

Latest posts

Back