What common makeup techniques DON'T you use?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Are there any common makeup techniques that you just DON'T do? Maybe they look bad on you, or you think they look silly, or you just have your own way! Where do you go against the grain?

For myself, I neeever ever put dark liner in my waterline. I do like doing light or bright colours, like silver, gold or blue if I'm doing a bright lower lashline look, but never black or dark browns/greys. They make my eyes look so small and weird! In any tutorial that colours in the waterline, I always skip it, even for dark smokey eyes!

I never do winged liner.  I just think it's too much and doesn't work on me.  Another thing is pulling my eyelids across/down when I'm applying liner.  The eye area is so delicate, I'm scared to mess with it.

I use my fingers to blend my foundation in... and I don't use translucent powder like a lot of people do..  also I don't like lipliner because it seems to make my lips TOO big.. I need to practice that..

I always apply my mascara BEFORE my eyeshadow. Most people think it's bizarre, but I am so messy when applying mascara and it always ends up all over my lid. I don't want to mess up my pretty shadow by getting mascara marks all over it!

I also apply foundation sometimes with my fingers... I've yet to find a good brush or sponge that helps me with this. 

I do line my waterline, but not with dark colors... I also only remember eyeshadow primer about 1/2 the time....

oh and I like Avon.  lmbo

I don't use liquid foundation. I know you're supposed to do liquid then powder, I only use powder because every liquid foundation I've ever used makes my skin so oily.

I don't curl my lashes... mainly because they don't curl anyways... so it's pointless!

I always do my eyes first and I never have dark lining on my lower lash line - makes the eyes look so small!

Originally Posted by GirlyEnthusiast /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I always apply my mascara BEFORE my eyeshadow. Most people think it's bizarre, but I am so messy when applying mascara and it always ends up all over my lid. I don't want to mess up my pretty shadow by getting mascara marks all over it!
Oh that reminds me!! I always apply my eyeliner last when I do my eyes. I do eyeshadows first, then mascara, THEN liner. I feel like it's easier to get the right amount of liner on when my lashes are already done, and it's easier to apply it straight because the edge of your mascara'd lashes is hard and is it's like a hard line to draw the liner against if that makes sense... kind of like drawing a straight line freehand vs. drawing it against a ruler or some kind of edge.

I'm trying to try everything once since I just started putting on makeup (besides mascara and thin liner/ foundation to cover blemishes) this past month..

But I guess I don't curl my lashes - I don't notice a difference my lashes curl pretty well with my mascara.

I don't use translucent powder -- I have powder foundation that I set my skin with after liquid instead.

I don't usually wear lip color at all - just balm or gloss.

I can't for the life of me get fake lashes on straight.

I haven't used my bronzer yet.

I don't own a blush because I'm rosy cheeked all the time..

I don't know girls there's a lot. And a lot I need to try still!

Lets see where to start:

I dont curl my lashes, they do so on their own.

I dont apply mascara to the top of my upper lashes... way too much risk

I do my eye makeup after i do my face... yeah ... sometimes i need to touch up

I only apply blush to the hallows of my cheeks... Lets face it, i  have no cheek bones. Like salma hayek, only looks like i do when i smile, applying to the hallows works like contouring so it gives me faux cheek bones

Oh, I dont use "blush", always a tan almost bronze shade shade.

highlighter on cheeks, nose and chin??? pffft make myself look more oily than i already am? no thanks

Oh and i always tight line my water line. Even if i have nothing else on, i have to do  that or look washed out.

I don't curl my lashes, or use mascara, I'd rather just use fake lashes tbh.

Originally Posted by GirlyEnthusiast /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have you ever tried a mascara shield?  I got one off ebay for like 1.50-2 free shipping. 

Originally Posted by KaytieBaybie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I do my eyeshadow before applying my foundation rather than vice versa.

lol i totally do the same thing!! Because the eye shadows usually flake onto my cheeks and I have to rub it off anyway... So foundation and/or powder goes on after i do my eyes...

I rarely do my waterline.  (heck, until I started reading this thread and googled it, I didn't even know it was called a waterline.  Always referred to it as the inner eye.)  I love how it looks....but whenever I've done it, the liner just ends up coming off anyhow.  I'm assuming that problem would be solved with a waterproof liner, huh?

I use my fingertips to apply shadow sometimes....even though they say you're not supposed to.

I rarely use anything on my lips.  I have full lips and I've never mastered the art of using lipsticks and lip liners without making my mouth end up looking like that of a clown.  I would love to wear lipstick but whenever I do it, I'm so self-conscious about it...and I've also never found a way to get lipstick to go on smoothly and, better yet, stay on.  It always seems to tug when I have put it on...and then it wears off real fast. 

I don't curl my lashes either. 

Originally Posted by Pamella /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I rarely do my waterline.  (heck, until I started reading this thread and googled it, I didn't even know it was called a waterline.  Always referred to it as the inner eye.)  I love how it looks....but whenever I've done it, the liner just ends up coming off anyhow.  I'm assuming that problem would be solved with a waterproof liner, huh?

I highly recommend a gel liner, they work perfectly!

Back