What common makeup techniques DON'T you use?

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm reading all of these thinking "Yeah, do that... yeah do that too... yup, do that now..... oh, always done that." Geesh, no wonder I own so much makeup!!

I guess the only thing I don't really do anymore (I used to do it a lot!) is wear lipliner. I have VERY full lips and they do look good when I take the time to line, fill and gloss, but even though that is the one thing I can't do without, I rarely do more than one step with my lips anymore. I guess that's why I love Maybelline's new 24 Hour Lipcolor. I just swipe it on FIRST (it needs time to dry), do the rest of my makeup, and I'm done with lips. If I need a gloss touch up during the day, I keep a warm and cool shade with me in my purse all the time.

Other than that... I do it all. No wonder it takes me 30-40 min to do my face!

I don't stipple on my foundation or use a foundation brush (often). I use my fingers and sponges to apply my foundation and to smooth it out followed with a kabuki brush to blend out any harsh edges before applying powder.

business cards work too.  get them at your bank ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by Bonnie Krupa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Have you ever tried a mascara shield?  I got one off ebay for like 1.50-2 free shipping. 

^ me too! I was thinking the same thing.

-I never put on foundation first

-I rarely line my lips

-I don't wear gloss that often

-I don't mind bold eyes AND lips at the same time

What a fun thread!

Ya know I've thought about getting that sheild thing.. but then I realized every morning I apply my makeup while sitting in bed and holding a hand-held mirror lol, so I never bothered. Might try out the business card idea for fun though.

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

business cards work too.  get them at your bank ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by divadoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yeah I did that at first but after the mascara had caked the card and made it all weird I was too lazy to make another one :X lol

Originally Posted by SarraSanborn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm trying to try everything once since I just started putting on makeup (besides mascara and thin liner/ foundation to cover blemishes) this past month..

But I guess I don't curl my lashes - I don't notice a difference my lashes curl pretty well with my mascara.

I don't use translucent powder -- I have powder foundation that I set my skin with after liquid instead.

I don't usually wear lip color at all - just balm or gloss.

I can't for the life of me get fake lashes on straight.

I haven't used my bronzer yet.

I don't own a blush because I'm rosy cheeked all the time..

I don't know girls there's a lot. And a lot I need to try still!
I don't curl my lashes either, but in my case I'm just afraid of the eyelash curler haha

I also don't use brushes for applying foundation, I just use a sponge. Sometimes I will go over it after with a dense powder brush without any product on it and just swirl it sround to buff, but seriously only for about 5 seconds across my whole face so I don't think I need a seperate brush for it. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

You can make your own mascara shield as mentioned with a business card. Simply cut out a shape so it fits to your face. Cheap (being free) and easy!

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't stipple on my foundation or use a foundation brush (often). I use my fingers and sponges to apply my foundation and to smooth it out followed with a kabuki brush to blend out any harsh edges before applying powder.

I have never used a brush for liquid foundation. I have considered a stippling brush. I typically use my fingers and almost have no problem blending out

I use a small brush for  concealer and under my eyes. And I use a brush for my powder ( think most people do ).

Also when I need it , I use my revlon color stay all over my face and then set it with mineral foundation. I havent mastered the difference between mineral foundation and setting powders.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmyNxDx /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't curl my lashes... mainly because they don't curl anyways... so it's pointless!
I have cow lashes. Very difficult to curl and stay put BUT for many many years I have mastered the spoon curling tecnique. I heat the spoon, curl my lashes and then heat my eye lash curler for the final curling. I then apply one coat of Zanzuzi or Max Factor's Calorie 2000 waterproof (both) and I apply a second and a third coat (when necesary) with a normal mascara. The results are AMAZING! People who think they have no lashes and I try this on them, end up speechless.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You can make your own mascara shield as mentioned with a business card. Simply cut out a shape so it fits to your face. Cheap (being free) and easy!
Never heard of this ... I LOVE the idea!!! gotta try it.

Something I never do is apply bronzer or shimmery blush. I feel as if it doesn't suit me. I also rarely contour unless going to a special event.

I only use one color foundation on my face. All growing up ( and even now) ,I've been told that since AA females have two toned skin that we should wear two different shades. A lighter shade for the inner face and one for the outer face and neck. Foundation is kinda pricey considering I have limited funds. Plus, I really don't see the difference.

Also, lining my waterline always causes my eyes to run and turn red so I don't do it.

I don't line my waterline, it doesn't stay on it and it makes me cry, smudging all my pretty makeup.

I rarely use lipcolor, lipbalm is fine.

I don't mind dark eyes and dark lips, i actually think it brings more balance to the skin. Siouxsie Sioux always wear dark eyes and bold red lips, and she looks gorgeous.

You're the first person I've ever "heard" mention Siouxsie.  Love her!!!!

Originally Posted by magosienne /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't line my waterline, it doesn't stay on it and it makes me cry, smudging all my pretty makeup.

I rarely use lipcolor, lipbalm is fine.

I don't mind dark eyes and dark lips, i actually think it brings more balance to the skin. Siouxsie Sioux always wear dark eyes and bold red lips, and she looks gorgeous.

Oh another one is I dont use the right brushes for its functions... LOL Like my small concealer brush i use as applying the first step to my eyeshadows lol

I use the small concealer brush to actually apply the white/silver/gold shimmer shadow on my tear duct jijiji

Originally Posted by kayleigh83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

For myself, I neeever ever put dark liner in my waterline. 

Neither do I!  

I also don't generally use lip liner, and I always forget to curl my lashes.

I rarely wear undereye concealer. I have a couple I like for nights out or bad mornings, but most of the time, a little Touche Eclat is enough for me. I love false lashes, but I don't wear full strips. Even my HG cheapy full strip ones (QUO#803s) I cut down to 3/4 length; but I'd rather wear the Ardell #305 or #301s. I don't mind slightly clumpy lashes, And I prefer Blackest Black mascaras to regular Black, or the dreaded Black-Brown that is supposed to favour fair skinned/haired ladies. It might be a faux pas, but most days, my eye makeup consists of Lemon Aid, Touche Eclat, MUFE AquaEyes #23L in the waterline, tightline and mascara. I feel like I need that carbon black look.

Back