Sign in to follow this  
Amanda Stan

(Spoilers) April Ipsy bag

Originally Posted by guenivere View Post

The Be A Bombshell blush packaging is cheap and it feels really flimsy. I liked the color but it immediately made my pores stand out despite primer and foundation.  Not liking this one.

LOOOOOVE the Sexy Healthy hair tho - the smell is fantastic, it spreads nicely, and it hasn't made my hair oily at all. 

This was my first Ipsy experience and I'm not sure I'll stick with them after trying May's box. If the quality is still the same (cheap stuff!), then I'm not interested. :P

I can kind of understand what you are saying. I didn't like the parabens in the blush, so I haven't given it a real try just yet. However, I see myself sticking with my Tarte blushes most of the time anyway.

While I would like to get higher priced, better brand products, I see getting full size products as kind of a trade off. Plus, if they are heavy on the makeup and lighter on the skincare, that makes me happy too. I hated Birchbox because they had so many box variations that your chances of getting something good was low--even if they did give out a few good products for the month.  April was my first month too, and overall I was pretty happy. I especially liked that Ipsy provides a trading space on their Facebook page since I did want to trade colors on the nail polish and someone swapped me the Beach Please blush for the mica sample. So yeah, Stila, Urban Decay, etc.--it would be great to see these show up now and then, even in deluxe sample sizes. But full sized, lower cost to mid-priced makeup is ok too.  ($16 blush isn't exactly cheap to me--I'd say more mid-priced compared to what I prefer.  Of course, the Two Cosmetics shadows were much cheaper than the blush).  A balance would be great. I'm hoping they work on that.

Just a warning about the blush- my came broken so I decided to try and fix it using the rubbing alcohol trick. As soon as the rubbing alcohol got on the black part of the container black coloring began to get everywhere! The rubbing alcohol didn't seem to take the color completely off the container, but it did get black pigment all over my sink and a little got into the blush. I mixed it up and let it set, and now it's really crackly, I think it might break again if I look at it wrong. I tried it out using just a TINY swipe but ended up with ridiculous looking hot pink streaks on my cheeks that were impossible to blend (I got the "Beach Please" color.) I'm really hoping it's acting that way because it didn't like being fixed. Ipsy is sending me a new blush so I'd like it to actually work!

Originally Posted by aricukier View Post

Does anyone have tips for the soy renewal? I have a little longer than shoulder length hair, use about a dime size drop, and it just seems to make my hair poofy and my roots oily.  I'm in love with the garnier nuctris triple nutriton spray, which I can use on dry or wet hair without it being oily, so I've been comparing soy renewal to that.  I just went back to the triple nutrition spray.  :( I'm sad because so many people loved the soy renewal, am I just missing something?

I use it only on my ends, a tiny drop, smaller than a dime for my thick almost shoulder length hair. I use it when my hair is wet only, also.

I think it's nice, but nothing special. I find it performs almost identically to my Moroccanoil, Macadamia oil treatment, and basically every other oil-serum product I've tried. I will use it, but I won't re-buy. :)

Originally Posted by princess2010 View Post

I'm really loving that blush. The packaging doesn't bother me and no pore issue. I LOVE the color! It's staying power isn't an all day thing. I noticed I did need to reapply late afternoon. Other than that I'm a fan.

Color me impressed that shipping is $2!

Another one here totally loving the blush.  I got it in Sweet Cheeks and was amazed at the deep pigmentation and blendability.  I just barely touched my brush onto the surface and the powder came loose.  So yeah, not great for travel, and I agree the packaging is very cheap, but the blush itself I love and would get other colors if I wasn't already full up with all my Tarte, Tarina Tarantino, Bobbi Brown,  and Benefit blushes.

I did notice the pore thing, but I take it that's due to the shimmer in the blush.  It wasn't enough to bother me too much though.

I'm going to post a "My Thoughts" on the Soy Renewal but until I do a full review here are some of my thoughts.

• It smells... familiar. Almost like baby powder but not exactly baby powder. I can't pinpoint it.
  • If I apply it (pea size) to semi-damp hair and then brush my hair with my boar brush it does add a wee bit of shine.

Overall, I don't think this is one I'd purchase a full size version of. Love the hair spray from a few months ago but the Soy Renewal I'm not crazy about. Guess I have to use it more before making my final judgement on it.

I'm going to post a "My Thoughts" on the Soy Renewal but until I do a full review here are some of my thoughts.
  • It smells... familiar. Almost like baby powder but not exactly baby powder. I can't pinpoint it.
  • If I apply it (pea size) to semi-damp hair and then brush my hair with my boar brush it does add a wee bit of shine.

Overall, I don't think this is one I'd purchase a full size version of. Love the hair spray from a few months ago but the Soy Renewal I'm not crazy about. Guess I have to use it more before making my final judgement on it.

I have long hair and use a bit more product than that but I put it at my ends and then up towards the roots (my hair never seems greasy after).. I always blow dry my roots to help get more volume and let the rest air dry and using this product, my hair mostly dries with no extra work. And is smooooth and shiny and so soft.. And it stays that way until I wash it again (every other day). I don't have thick hair, more normal or a bit less (I blame the kids haha) but my hair is thicker/courser.

I like the blush color, but it's pretty cheap (quality, consistency etc.).  Since so much of it comes loose when dragging a brush through it I tapped the side on my trash bin this morning to get rid of the excess and half the blush cracked and fell in on the ground.  icon_rolleyes.gif

I don't have a problem with the blush...it seems to be packed well enough, granted, I use a medium sized flat top brush and just have to touch it on the powder and tap the excess off(on the floor or something, not the pan), maybe its because I'm not swirling a brush around in it. I've never had to do that with a blush though. Lol

Originally Posted by katlyne View Post

I don't have a problem with the blush...it seems to be packed well enough, granted, I use a medium sized flat top brush and just have to touch it on the powder and tap the excess off(on the floor or something, not the pan), maybe its because I'm not swirling a brush around in it. I've never had to do that with a blush though. Lol

Most of my blush is still useable. I don't tap the excess off in the pan, my blush and brush generates a lot of loose powder for some reason, never had this problem with other blushes from Cover Girl to Nars, never seen a blush with so much loose powder.  

Got my bag! 

Contents:

Soy Renewal

Two Eyeshadow Duo

Sweet Cheeks Blush

Love at First Byte polish.

3/4 items that I was hoping for (I really wanted the other Sation polish color, especially since I snagged the Allure box yesterday and it is also supposed to have the Love at First Byte color too). At least it's a nice, subtle color for my girls and it dries fast! I just painted 20 little toes with it and they're happy as clams ;-)

Excited to try out the other products soon, I swatched the shadows and blush on my hand and they all look great with my skin tone so I'm excited. I have a ton of brown/gray neutral shadows so this will be fun to experiment with some pretty pink eye looks for spring :)

• Like 1

Originally Posted by SarahAlly01 View Post

I think I'm going to order the Daily Palette from them because I just watched a video comparing it to the original Urban Decay Naked Palette and it's a really good dupe! I've never been able to afford the Naked palette and this is pretty close!

Thanks for the suggestion! I picked up and put back the Urban Decay Naked Palette several times when I was shopping at Sephora during Chic Week but just couldn't justify the cost even at 15% off, especially since I already have a zillion eye shadows. I bought the Mini Daily Palette. It was only $11.25 after the discount.

Originally Posted by nishino View Post

Another one here totally loving the blush.  I got it in Sweet Cheeks and was amazed at the deep pigmentation and blendability.  I just barely touched my brush onto the surface and the powder came loose.  So yeah, not great for travel, and I agree the packaging is very cheap, but the blush itself I love and would get other colors if I wasn't already full up with all my Tarte, Tarina Tarantino, Bobbi Brown,  and Benefit blushes.

I did notice the pore thing, but I take it that's due to the shimmer in the blush.  It wasn't enough to bother me too much though.

I guess I didn't realize that blush wasn't suppose to kind of come loose when you use it? Down Boy from theBalm does this, as well as my blush from IT Cosmetics. I think the only blush that I have that doesn't do this is Laura Geller, but that could be because it's baked. And the loose powder is slight so it doesn't bother me.  I received Sweet Cheeks also and love it!

Originally Posted by Roxane68 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishino View Post

I guess I didn't realize that blush wasn't suppose to kind of come loose when you use it? Down Boy from theBalm does this, as well as my blush from IT Cosmetics. I think the only blush that I have that doesn't do this is Laura Geller, but that could be because it's baked. And the loose powder is slight so it doesn't bother me.  I received Sweet Cheeks also and love it!

I have Laura Geller, Stila, Benefit, pH formula, WnW, Shany, BH Cosmetics, Urban Decay, Napoleon Perdis and a ton more and none has the amount of fall out that Be A Bombshell does. It's like it's too dry even though it's silky and soft to the touch. Maybe it's too much talc, I don't know.

Originally Posted by Roxane68 View Post

I don't know that it should or shouldn't....I mean it doesn't really bother me unless I need to travel with it.  The looseness of the powder is what makes it so blendable in my opinion.  To me it's not something to assign a "good" or "bad" value to.  I prefer that over a really hard blush that your brush can barely pick up any color from, that's for sure.

Oh my goodness! If any of you gals got the Mica shadow, try it over Maybelline Color Tattoo in Tough As Taupe its sooo pretty. This morning I put the color tattoo mainly on the lid with a little smudging outside the crease, then put the shadow only on the lid and put a cream highlight on the browbone..or wherever I hadn't already put shadow.

Oh my goodness! If any of you gals got the Mica shadow, try it over Maybelline Color Tattoo in Tough As Taupe its sooo pretty. This morning I put the color tattoo mainly on the lid with a little smudging outside the crease, then put the shadow only on the lid and put a cream highlight on the browbone..or wherever I hadn't already put shadow.

I have both of those items.  I will have to try that tomorrow.

I've been doing that too! Very happy to find a use for Tough a Taupe cause up till now I haven't been a huge fan. But that combo is fantastic :)

Originally Posted by acostakk View Post

I've been doing that too! Very happy to find a use for Tough a Taupe cause up till now I haven't been a huge fan. But that combo is fantastic smile.gif

wow two of you have been doing this independently of one another....anyone have pictures?  should I run out to buy a Tough as Taupe???

wow two of you have been doing this independently of one another....anyone have pictures?  should I run out to buy a Tough as Taupe???
I'll take pictures tomorrow morning when I do it again :)

I received the Two Cosmetics duo eyeshadow and it is really lovely over the Maybelline Color Tattoo in Inked In Pink.

Against my better judgement I used the MicaBeauty shadow today and some of it got onto my cheeks. Well needless to say I broke out into a rash where it touched my cheeks and my eyes are itching like crazy. I'm convinced it's the mica in their products and may be it's not milled enough. I don't know but I do know I don't have this problem with other mica products.

Oh my goodness 0.o I've never had an issue like that with makeup *knock on wood* do you think its like a personal allergy?

Against my better judgement I used the MicaBeauty shadow today and some of it got onto my cheeks. Well needless to say I broke out into a rash where it touched my cheeks and my eyes are itching like crazy. I'm convinced it's the mica in their products and may be it's not milled enough. I don't know but I do know I don't have this problem with other mica products.