Sign in to follow this  
r4chel77

Julep May 2013

Oh man the rock candy is horrid!! It bubbles to. I took it off right after it was dry. Couldn't stand it.
I haven't noticed bubbling with mine, yet.

Oh man the rock candy is horrid!! It bubbles to. I took it off right after it was dry. Couldn't stand it.
Boo, that makes me sad. I was really waiting to snag one, but probably won't now.

Originally Posted by hiheather View Post

I don't think a color of the finish we've seen yet will be an add on but a new color.

Also, has anyone used the Rock Candy from last month's box? Extremely horrible design or perhaps formula... the brush doesn't spread so the polish keeps chunking up and running.

I put Rock Candy over another purple like they suggested and it looked fine. I'm not sure if it made much of a difference though. I'll probably use it for a jelly sandwich soon so we'll see how that goes.

Originally Posted by casby View Post

Was Evangeline ever offered as an addon? (That was the mystery orangeish holo from Valentine's). It seems like the add ons (recently) have only been the current month's collections (plus random themed colors like greens for March, a white for the January neon month). If something is crazy popular, it tends not to be in the addons as a single color.  (Maybe Evangeline is a bad example being too recent. Was the black mystery glitter from New Year's mystery box ever an addon?)  To be fair, I think the new finish will be sold somewhere eventually.

The mystery color from the new years box & Evangeline have not been sold outside of the mystery box. I was wondering if the sea salt finishes would be available in an upcoming maven box.

Originally Posted by tasertag View Post

I put Rock Candy over another purple like they suggested and it looked fine. I'm not sure if it made much of a difference though. I'll probably use it for a jelly sandwich soon so we'll see how that goes.

I put 3 coats of Candy over Square Hue's lilac and it was a noticeable difference in color. It's inconsistent in application, but I think that's due to the brush, not the polish. I also noticed that it takes a while to dry, longer than normal. Once you get past that, I think it'll make a good sandwiching polish. I've been thinking of seeing how it'll layer with a flakie or holo.

With mystery colors, sometimes they release them a while after. But see I don't agree with this, the point of the sub is for us to get the recent colors, and they make them available either on Sephora first like w Rock Candy or put them in mystery boxes...and some colors from mystery boxes have been prettier than recent monthly boxes colors...

With mystery colors, sometimes they release them a while after. But see I don't agree with this, the point of the sub is for us to get the recent colors, and they make them available either on Sephora first like w Rock Candy or put them in mystery boxes...and some colors from mystery boxes have been prettier than recent monthly boxes colors...
Exactly! It is like a slap in the face to the mavens. Either toss out more money for the extra polishes or wait months (if ever) for them to be released in a box.

Agree! I thought the whole point of being a Maven was to be able to get our hands on new products first. I also don't think I'll be getting any mystery boxes again, with the price increase.

Honestly, I think Julep is caught in a bind -- mystery boxes got the reputation as "full of dupes" or colors that Julep had overproduced. In order to encourage people to purchase Mystery boxes, it seems like they have to promise something new. I wish Julep would do fewer mystery boxes and put more work into the curated sets (which were stocked back in October 2012 and have been slowly going out of stock). This "new mystery box" every month thing is getting old. I wonder sometimes what the ratio is of people cashing in Jules for monthly boxes and people paying cash. Julep, as a business wants money and I think a cash sale is preferred to a Jules funded one which is why so many mystery boxes. 

Exactly! It is like a slap in the face to the mavens. Either toss out more money for the extra polishes or wait months (if ever) for them to be released in a box.

Originally Posted by MissLindaJean View Post

Agree! I thought the whole point of being a Maven was to be able to get our hands on new products first. I also don't think I'll be getting any mystery boxes again, with the price increase.

Yup yup exactly girls! Were the emerald polishes in previous boxes? those are new too, right?

Yup yup exactly girls! Were the emerald polishes in previous boxes? those are new too, right?
Yes.. I'm sure they're new and featured because of Pantone's color of the year dealybob

While this box looks tempting, their matte polishes are the worst nail polishes I have ever experienced. They chip in LITERALLY 3 hours. With a bottom coat, in addition to a regular top coat AND a Matte top coat...they lasted ALMOST 24 hours. lol

No thanks 

It could be me but I think Julep polish in general is just horrible with chipping. Actually the more I think about it I don't even know why I keep getting Julep. I rarely reach for their polish out of my collection, and I think their colors are rather bland and behind the times. I blame the packaging. Those darn bottles are the best polish bottles I've seen and I just want to keep hoarding.

It could be me but I think Julep polish in general is just horrible with chipping.

Actually the more I think about it I don't even know why I keep getting Julep. I rarely reach for their polish out of my collection, and I think their colors are rather bland and behind the times. I blame the packaging. Those darn bottles are the best polish bottles I've seen and I just want to keep hoarding.

THIS! lol same here, on everything you said.

It could be me but I think Julep polish in general is just horrible with chipping.

Actually the more I think about it I don't even know why I keep getting Julep. I rarely reach for their polish out of my collection, and I think their colors are rather bland and behind the times. I blame the packaging. Those darn bottles are the best polish bottles I've seen and I just want to keep hoarding.

Agreed! I used Whitney, I believe, and it literally peeled on some nails. Collecting these is rather addicting and it does say if you do not want a mattified finish you can use their top coat... and I am assuming a normal top coat would do. This may be one of the last mystery boxes I pick up. Idk though lol

i would be going for the sea salt instead of the may box but i definitely don't want any dupes and there is absoultely NO info on the box. we're not being told the polish minimum for the second time now and there's no info on the theme of the boxes. at least with easter, valentine's day, etc, it's pretty easy to imagine the theme of the box and all of them fit imo. i do like the idea of neutrals and earthy blues if that's what this box will be, but i can't know nothing and buy it, especially with the price increase.

I feel the same way...I've only been a Maven since January, but I'm just not really impressed. I think it may be time to cancel.

iagree.gif

Originally Posted by ydlr20 View Post

Just got shipping confirmation for my Mystery Box. This will be my May box, so I am soooo excited.

Me to. I just got shipping info also. I have a good feeling about the box *crosses fingers*!

The only reason I keep julep around is because I have jules to spend. And I have enough that if I were to buy another monthly box i'd get the next box for free. But i've skipped for the lat 5 months!! Nothing is appealing...

I just got my mystery box shipment confirmation - yay!! I'm hoping for all the sea salt colors- I'm greedy!!! ;)