Julep May 2013

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are the mystery box items usually available at some point down the road or are they limited to the mystery box? I just did some major shopping last night, and now I'm thinking about skipping the mystery box, but I'll probably get it if its limited to just the mystery box since I love textured polished!

I ordered one as well. (Mainly to finish off my Valentine's Day gift card). I wish the price was still 19.99.

The Mystery boxes are generally polishes that Julep has an excess of/products they have extras of  plus whatever the guaranteed item is. That's why people with large Julep collections might wind up with dupes. I think the Sea Salt Finish will be for sale individually, because, from a marketing standpoint, it wouldn't make sense to not also sell them individually. I don't know when they would be for sale though. 

I personally expect the Sea Salt polish to be offered as an add on for the maven box in a month or so.

Was Evangeline ever offered as an addon? (That was the mystery orangeish holo from Valentine's). It seems like the add ons (recently) have only been the current month's collections (plus random themed colors like greens for March, a white for the January neon month). If something is crazy popular, it tends not to be in the addons as a single color.  (Maybe Evangeline is a bad example being too recent. Was the black mystery glitter from New Year's mystery box ever an addon?)  To be fair, I think the new finish will be sold somewhere eventually.

I don't think a color of the finish we've seen yet will be an add on but a new color. Also, has anyone used the Rock Candy from last month's box? Extremely horrible design or perhaps formula... the brush doesn't spread so the polish keeps chunking up and running.

I don't think a color of the finish we've seen yet will be an add on but a new color. Also, has anyone used the Rock Candy from last month's box? Extremely horrible design or perhaps formula... the brush doesn't spread so the polish keeps chunking up and running.
Oh man the rock candy is horrid!! It bubbles to. I took it off right after it was dry. Couldn't stand it.

Oh man the rock candy is horrid!! It bubbles to. I took it off right after it was dry. Couldn't stand it.
Boo, that makes me sad. I was really waiting to snag one, but probably won't now.

Originally Posted by hiheather /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think a color of the finish we've seen yet will be an add on but a new color.

Also, has anyone used the Rock Candy from last month's box? Extremely horrible design or perhaps formula... the brush doesn't spread so the polish keeps chunking up and running.
I put Rock Candy over another purple like they suggested and it looked fine. I'm not sure if it made much of a difference though. I'll probably use it for a jelly sandwich soon so we'll see how that goes.

Originally Posted by casby /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Was Evangeline ever offered as an addon? (That was the mystery orangeish holo from Valentine's). It seems like the add ons (recently) have only been the current month's collections (plus random themed colors like greens for March, a white for the January neon month). If something is crazy popular, it tends not to be in the addons as a single color.  (Maybe Evangeline is a bad example being too recent. Was the black mystery glitter from New Year's mystery box ever an addon?)  To be fair, I think the new finish will be sold somewhere eventually.
The mystery color from the new years box & Evangeline have not been sold outside of the mystery box. I was wondering if the sea salt finishes would be available in an upcoming maven box.

Originally Posted by tasertag /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I put Rock Candy over another purple like they suggested and it looked fine. I'm not sure if it made much of a difference though. I'll probably use it for a jelly sandwich soon so we'll see how that goes.
I put 3 coats of Candy over Square Hue's lilac and it was a noticeable difference in color. It's inconsistent in application, but I think that's due to the brush, not the polish. I also noticed that it takes a while to dry, longer than normal. Once you get past that, I think it'll make a good sandwiching polish. I've been thinking of seeing how it'll layer with a flakie or holo.

With mystery colors, sometimes they release them a while after. But see I don't agree with this, the point of the sub is for us to get the recent colors, and they make them available either on Sephora first like w Rock Candy or put them in mystery boxes...and some colors from mystery boxes have been prettier than recent monthly boxes colors...

With mystery colors, sometimes they release them a while after. But see I don't agree with this, the point of the sub is for us to get the recent colors, and they make them available either on Sephora first like w Rock Candy or put them in mystery boxes...and some colors from mystery boxes have been prettier than recent monthly boxes colors...
Exactly! It is like a slap in the face to the mavens. Either toss out more money for the extra polishes or wait months (if ever) for them to be released in a box.

Agree! I thought the whole point of being a Maven was to be able to get our hands on new products first. I also don't think I'll be getting any mystery boxes again, with the price increase.

Honestly, I think Julep is caught in a bind -- mystery boxes got the reputation as "full of dupes" or colors that Julep had overproduced. In order to encourage people to purchase Mystery boxes, it seems like they have to promise something new. I wish Julep would do fewer mystery boxes and put more work into the curated sets (which were stocked back in October 2012 and have been slowly going out of stock). This "new mystery box" every month thing is getting old. I wonder sometimes what the ratio is of people cashing in Jules for monthly boxes and people paying cash. Julep, as a business wants money and I think a cash sale is preferred to a Jules funded one which is why so many mystery boxes. 

Back