Beauty Blender grew mold

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
That's basically it, I discovered today that my beauty blender has mold :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> is there anything I can do to save it? or should I just throw it out?

I'm not much help but I recommend tossing it. I'm now slightly grossed out by Beauty Blenders.

Oh no no don't be, it's my fault, I'll admit, it was really stupid and stored it in a freaking ziploc baggy, I was busy, didn't notice and well it sat there for some time, ofc it'll grow mold lol. It's all my fault and I know that, I'm thinking I prolly have to toss it, but if there's any way to save it I'll try it...I can't get a BB here and I can't afford to buy one either... *sigh*

Originally Posted by hiheather /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe you could cut the mold out? But I guess that would make the blender useless.
well. it's  mostly on the pointy part, the bottom seems clear

I suggest to throw it. I would feel the same way saving it but thinking that mold was once there, there would be no way it should be in contact with my skin!

I was browsing through beauty section of Ross one day and found these equally good sponges for $5.00.

If you do not want to shell out too much, maybe you could spot some in Ross, Marshall's or TJMaxx.

Hope this helps! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Toss it. At this point in time it's a total loss.

In the future, any type of makeup sponge make sure after you wash it after each use that you squeeze it out really well then soak up rubbing alcohol. Allow the sponge to soak in that alcohol for a minute or two before ringing that out and allow to air dry before storage.

ya that's what I was doing before, but I packed it there to travel (it was completely dry, it was tiny) and then well I just put it back there after using it once and just forgot, I know what I did wrong, I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to rescue it

Now im scared that will happen to mine lol I have a bad habit of not washing it for awhile and just tossing it somewhere, and I do the same with brushes. Im just too lazy and now this made me get up and wash mine lol

I let it soak on alcohol, but it's not gonna come off, I know I have to throw it, but I was wondering mmm if I use this for nail airt will it contaminate my polish?

Possibly. To be honest I don't think any of us knows for sure. Since it's going to be tossed try to see if soaking it in a 10% bleach mixture does the trick but I wouldn't recommend using it on your face.

Unfortunately you can't salvage sponges due to the very porous nature of them. To keep them from moulding in transport (even after they are dried), is to put them in a plastic breathable bag like those Ziploc vegetable bags. That way any room humidity or deep moisture within the sponge won't be trapped in the sealed bag. Or you can just leave your make-up bag / clutch 1/4 open so the air can circulate better.

Hi everyone, I have only had my beauty blender for a few weeks and it has developed black spots despite regular cleaning. I have done some googling and it seems that these would be mould. Should I ditch the sponge or does anyone have any suggestions about cleaning it. I paid $34 for it because they are expensive in Australia, so I don't want to throw it out if I can avoid it.

Just thought I'd let people know that I tried soaking the sponge in vinegar for half an hour because I was told that it may kill off the mould. Well it didn't!!!!! So I have conceded defeat and thrown it out! Just ordered a new one online as that is the only way to purchase them in Australia. It cost me $24.95 plus $8.00 postage. I am going to be super careful with my next one although I was careful with the first one, so I am not sure where I really went wrong. I made sure I air dried it. I cleaned it thoroughly. I never stored it in a bag or cupboard. I think I might put it on a window ledge in the sunshine and hopefully that will do the trick. I am open to suggestions though.

Vinegar doesn't kill mould, bleach does. I would also recommend purchasing the cleanser that is meant for the Beauty Blender. Also, try air drying it in a non humid environment. That should help.

Clean it like you would any mold hot soap water it may have to soak do not use bleach or any other harsh chemicals, if soap and water don't work try white vinegar. If after washing it and soaking it for a few days and no one else responds then I would throw it out it is a sponge and those are hard to get the mold markings off of even though you may have washed away the spores and mold itself. Good Luck.

Bleach does not "kill" mold it may bleach out the stain  that mold causes but its not suggested to clean it and remove the spores, only hot water and soap. Call any business that cleans mold in homes after floods etc they will tell you the same thing.

Angela

Thanks for the replies. I have been using dishwashing liquid to clean it because I was told this is the best type of liquid soap to use and I did it after every 2nd use. I also rinsed very thoroughly. There really is no logical reason why it got mouldy, but I will be even more careful when my new one turns up!

Try giving it a clean before throwing it out...

If that honestly doesn't work, then you know your decision to throw it out is probably the best.

I am just a freak when it comes to saving absolutely everything!

Latest posts

Back