Beauty Blender grew mold

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bleach does not "kill" mold it may bleach out the stain  that mold causes but its not suggested to clean it and remove the spores, only hot water and soap. Call any business that cleans mold in homes after floods etc they will tell you the same thing. Angela
Fair enough... But when it comes to sanitation and hygiene in the beauty / make-up industry, for product and tools, the cure is worse than the disease when it comes to personal safety. Otherwise productions get shut down by the state / province.

Thanks for the replies. I have been using dishwashing liquid to clean it because I was told this is the best type of liquid soap to use and I did it after every 2nd use. I also rinsed very thoroughly. There really is no logical reason why it got mouldy, but I will be even more careful when my new one turns up!
Don't let it dry in the dark! Also a slight airflow will help dry it.

Originally Posted by amandagreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Try giving it a clean before throwing it out...

If that honestly doesn't work, then you know your decision to throw it out is probably the best.

I am just a freak when it comes to saving absolutely everything!
I hear you! The main reason I wanted to save this sponge was the cost. It's pretty expensive in Oz when you factor in the postage. It is very hard to just find it in a shop, so you have to pay over $30. I did consider the bleach option, but someone mentioned to me that it's a bit risky if you don't get every last bit of the bleach out. I have thoroughly exhausted the soap and water method, along with the vinegar soaking, etc... The sponge had to go!

Just one more thing before I leave this topic alone, I really hate the idea of the new black coloured beauty blender sponge. Knowing that these sponges can get mouldy under some circumstances, you would not be able to see it with a black sponge. Gives me the heebies just thinking about it!

Don't leave this topic alone, as topics like this are a great learning tool in terms of trouble-shooting experiences, so others can benefit from it.

Originally Posted by daffodil48 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just one more thing before I leave this topic alone, I really hate the idea of the new black coloured beauty blender sponge. Knowing that these sponges can get mouldy under some circumstances, you would not be able to see it with a black sponge. Gives me the heebies just thinking about it!
Now that you pointed it out, I have to agree. I never thought of the black sponge hiding mold since I've never encountered a mold problem with my own Beauty Blenders or any cosmetic sponge.

You could try soaking it in a tea tree oil/ water mixture. I use this mixture on moldy walls, 1 part tea tree oil to 9 parts water. I'm not sure how well it will work on a beauty blender. It works great on a moldy wall.

Originally Posted by italiablu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You could try soaking it in a tea tree oil/ water mixture. I use this mixture on moldy walls, 1 part tea tree oil to 9 parts water. I'm not sure how well it will work on a beauty blender. It works great on a moldy wall.
I have ordered a new one, but will definitely be trying all of these tips if my new one develops the same problem. I absolutely love my beauty blender, so there is no way I will be going back to regular cosmetic sponges. I just wish they weren't so expensive.

Just curious, did you order the Blender cleaning solution with the dispenser / cradle as well?

Originally Posted by vogueboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just curious, did you order the Blender cleaning solution with the dispenser / cradle as well?
No. The cleanser is not meant to be very good and none of the Australian websites offered the cradle. From what I read on other forums, dishwashing liquid is superior to the blender cleaning solution.

Quote: Originally Posted by vogueboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No. The cleanser is not meant to be very good and none of the Australian websites offered the cradle. From what I read on other forums, dishwashing liquid is superior to the blender cleaning solution.

I have the cleanser and it's fine but I wouldn't use dishwashing liquid on my beauty blender. I actually use Mona Lisa's Pink Soap (not sure if it's sold in Ausralia) and Koren's brush soaps. I also use to disinfect just some isopropyl alcohol and allow to air dry.

I agree with Zadi on this one. I've worked with MUA's from Hannibal, Hemlock Grove, Cottage Country, and Mortal Instruments: City of Bones. And they have the Blender cleanser, as it's meant for it due to the structure (density) of the sponge itself. Dishwashing detergent is too harsh as it's meant to cut grease on stainless steel, glass and porcelain... Well, dishes. Also dish washing sponges have a different structure than a Beauty Blender. It's the same reason why you wouldn't use dishwashing detergent to clean brushes, as the dried brushes feel like they have residue on them, no matter how many times you rinse them. The soaps that Zadi mentioned are less harsh but are effective as they're meant for make-up. Again, air drying is key, a slight airflow is even better. I know that Amazon and the Beauty Blender site, both carry the cleanser, being that no retailer in Australia carries it. I am sure they both ship there.

Thank you for the information, I just  bought 4 for 4 bucks, I know they are not the real deal but I thought I would try them out first. I wouldnt have even thought  they could grow mold .I dont know if these are ok  I have nothing to compare them to to,so I know  to keep these clean atleast.

Originally Posted by vogueboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with Zadi on this one. I've worked with MUA's from Hannibal, Hemlock Grove, Cottage Country, and Mortal Instruments: City of Bones. And they have the Blender cleanser, as it's meant for it due to the structure (density) of the sponge itself.

Dishwashing detergent is too harsh as it's meant to cut grease on stainless steel, glass and porcelain... Well, dishes. Also dish washing sponges have a different structure than a Beauty Blender. It's the same reason why you wouldn't use dishwashing detergent to clean brushes, as the dried brushes feel like they have residue on them, no matter how many times you rinse them.

The soaps that Zadi mentioned are less harsh but are effective as they're meant for make-up. Again, air drying is key, a slight airflow is even better.

I know that Amazon and the Beauty Blender site, both carry the cleanser, being that no retailer in Australia carries it. I am sure they both ship there.
Actually in many of the beauty forums, dishwashing liquid is considered the best product for cleaning brushes. It all depends on who you believe really.

Quote: Originally Posted by vogueboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with Zadi on this one. I've worked with MUA's from Hannibal, Hemlock Grove, Cottage Country, and Mortal Instruments: City of Bones. And they have the Blender cleanser, as it's meant for it due to the structure (density) of the sponge itself.

Dishwashing detergent is too harsh as it's meant to cut grease on stainless steel, glass and porcelain... Well, dishes. Also dish washing sponges have a different structure than a Beauty Blender. It's the same reason why you wouldn't use dishwashing detergent to clean brushes, as the dried brushes feel like they have residue on them, no matter how many times you rinse them.

The soaps that Zadi mentioned are less harsh but are effective as they're meant for make-up. Again, air drying is key, a slight airflow is even better.

I know that Amazon and the Beauty Blender site, both carry the cleanser, being that no retailer in Australia carries it. I am sure they both ship there.
Actually in many of the beauty forums, dishwashing liquid is considered the best product for cleaning brushes. It all depends on who you believe really.

Also on many beauty forums people still think that hemorrhoid cream works to reduce under eye puffiness (which it use to) or that shaving causes hair to grow back thicker and darker (which it doesn't). ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I always remember the insurance commercial that says something like, "Where did you hear that?" "The internet. They can't put something on the internet if it's not true." Granted something are good substitutions, some use to work and something are downright just incorrect.

Dish soap was never intended for brushes. Ask yourself this: Would you wash your hair with dish soap? Probably not since it typically will strip your hair of it's natural oils. It's the same principal when it comes to brushes especially natural fiber brushes. With synthetics dish soap won't strip it and cause the bristles to become brittle because the bristles are artificial in the first place but with natural fibers it can cause a problem in the long run. Also when you use a (DIY) method using dish soap most people add olive oil in it in order to condition it. There are better products on the market meant to wash and condition brushes and beauty sponges which really isn't that expensive. Don't get me wrong, if someone wants to use dish soap on their $20 MAC brush that's their business but personally I rather shell out the $6 for a bottle of Mona Lisa's Pink Soap (and it's under $2 for the small bottle) if I want to save some money because I want my brushes to last me years.

Originally Posted by zadidoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also on many beauty forums people still think that hemorrhoid cream works to reduce under eye puffiness (which it use to) or that shaving causes hair to grow back thicker and darker (which it doesn't). ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I always remember the insurance commercial that says something like, "Where did you hear that?" "The internet. They can't put something on the internet if it's not true." Granted something are good substitutions, some use to work and something are downright just incorrect.

Dish soap was never intended for brushes. Ask yourself this: Would you wash your hair with dish soap? Probably not since it typically will strip your hair of it's natural oils. It's the same principal when it comes to brushes especially natural fiber brushes. With synthetics dish soap won't strip it and cause the bristles to become brittle because the bristles are artificial in the first place but with natural fibers it can cause a problem in the long run. Also when you use a (DIY) method using dish soap most people add olive oil in it in order to condition it. There are better products on the market meant to wash and condition brushes and beauty sponges which really isn't that expensive. Don't get me wrong, if someone wants to use dish soap on their $20 MAC brush that's their business but personally I rather shell out the $6 for a bottle of Mona Lisa's Pink Soap (and it's under $2 for the small bottle) if I want to save some money because I want my brushes to last me years.

Yes, but if enough people review an item or a method, then there has to be some truth to it. The reviews on a certain makeup site (very large) are pretty universal that the blender cleanser is ordinary. That makes a a person think hard about whether to spend money on it. This site is large enough that you can work out who is a shill for companies and who isn't. I don't think under the rules here that I am allowed to name it, but you probably all know which site I am talking about. Some products get thousands of reviews.

Anyway, away from that site and on to brush cleaning. I do remember watching a Michelle Phan tutorial once about brush cleaning that involved detergent (Dawn) and olive oil (Colavita). Now a lot of people swear by Michelle Phan, so you could argue that if Michelle Phan uses dishwashing liquid it must be OK. However, she added one step too many in my opinion and that was the oil. It damn near ruined my brushes!

I used to work in the beauty industry. I had my own waxing and spray tanning business, so your comment about the shaving made me laugh a bit. I have heard every falsehood about hair that you could possibly imagine!

On the note of cleaning Beauty Blenders and keeping them in their best shape, have any of you tried microwaving them? I normally clean mine with shampoo, wring it out, soak it in alcohol, wring that out well, then let it air dry. (I clean mine after each use, and they've lasted very well and come clean each time; I use the pink ones.)

I was told several years ago that to extend the life of my kitchen sponges, I should wash them with soap and water, wring it out well, then microwave it for about 10 seconds to help kill bacteria. I still do it to this day and it helps keep my kitchen sponges clean and lasting longer! 

Have any of you tried this with a Beauty Blender though? I'm hesitant to put that overly-priced sponge in the microwave because the structure of it is different from a dish sponge. BUT since it works so well on my kitchen sponges in extending their lives, I'm wondering how well it'd work on a Beauty Blender to keep it in the best possible shape.

Any Thoughts? 
smile.gif

Yes, but if enough people review an item or a method, then there has to be some truth to it. The reviews on a certain makeup site (very large) are pretty universal that the blender cleanser is ordinary. That makes a a person think hard about whether to spend money on it. This site is large enough that you can work out who is a shill for companies and who isn't. I don't think under the rules here that I am allowed to name it, but you probably all know which site I am talking about. Some products get thousands of reviews.

Anyway, away from that site and on to brush cleaning. I do remember watching a Michelle Phan tutorial once about brush cleaning that involved detergent (Dawn) and olive oil (Colavita). Now a lot of people swear by Michelle Phan, so you could argue that if Michelle Phan uses dishwashing liquid it must be OK. However, she added one step too many in my opinion and that was the oil. It damn near ruined my brushes!

I used to work in the beauty industry. I had my own waxing and spray tanning business, so your comment about the shaving made me laugh a bit. I have heard every falsehood about hair that you could possibly imagine!
LOL The dish soap and olive oil one is still pretty popular despite the fact it typically ruins brushes with that residue.

Oh, the shaving one makes me laugh because it's still passed around as fact. I wish it was kind of true because I'd shave my eyebrows off if it meant the growth would come back thicker and darker as my brows are not as dark or thick as they were when I was a teen. I think men - especially balding men - would shave their heads if it means thicker hair again. LOL

Originally Posted by LydiaNichole /img/forum/go_quote.gif

On the note of cleaning Beauty Blenders and keeping them in their best shape, have any of you tried microwaving them? I normally clean mine with shampoo, wring it out, soak it in alcohol, wring that out well, then let it air dry. (I clean mine after each use, and they've lasted very well and come clean each time; I use the pink ones.)

I was told several years ago that to extend the life of my kitchen sponges, I should wash them with soap and water, wring it out well, then microwave it for about 10 seconds to help kill bacteria. I still do it to this day and it helps keep my kitchen sponges clean and lasting longer! 

Have any of you tried this with a Beauty Blender though? I'm hesitant to put that overly-priced sponge in the microwave because the structure of it is different from a dish sponge. BUT since it works so well on my kitchen sponges in extending their lives, I'm wondering how well it'd work on a Beauty Blender to keep it in the best possible shape.

Any Thoughts? 
smile.gif
I've heard of doing that but I wouldn't simply because not all microwaves are the same and 10 seconds isn't enough to kill anything. You risk burning the sponge in the microwave or even catching it on fire if you nuke it too long. I would suggest using a hand towel to hold the sponge and simply using a hair dryer to dry. It won't kill anything but at least it'll dry the sponge out faster. That or put it out on little towel on a window ledge while the sun is hitting that spot and it should dry out in about 10 to 20 minutes if it's hot enough.

Originally Posted by LydiaNichole /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Any Thoughts? 
smile.gif
Your post certainly made me think, but like you, I would be hesistant about putting my bb in the microwave in case it damaged the integrity of the sponge. It would be a great last step in killing bacteria. I might try it on a cheaper cellulose sponge and see what happens!

Sponges are not created equal. Due the density and type of sponge material of a BB, I would not recommend microwaving it. As for YouTube, Internet, Forums... Just because someone posts something up, doesn't make it true. (Again I agree with Zadi on this as well...) Being a MUA doesn't mean putting on colour... It means you need to know your human anatomy, (skeletal, muscular, epidermal structures, circulatory system), chemistry, history, english (for script and character breakdowns, and continuity) and be a research expert. The last part is important because of the Internet. Always consider and check and recheck your sources. Make-up guru's on YouTube only do their own face so they have no experience working on other people or skin tones, bone structures, or various environments where you would need to apply / remove make-ups or to trouble shoot any sudden problems or issues that may arise while working. (Hence the BB mould thing and brush cleaning, etc.) and that's why you get all these homemade trouble shooting remedies that don't work or cause other issues. Just sayin'.

Back