Beauty Blender grew mold

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can microwave your beauty blender for about 30 seconds to remove any bacteria and then wash it with a mild soap afterwords. Something like Johnson's baby shampoo. However, if it has mold on it I probably wouldn't risk it and I would just throw it out. I personally wash my sponge every day. I just keep baby shampoo right next to the sink where I do my makeup. I really recommend buying a dupe instead. You can afford to toss those more often. I actually just made a video about the beauty blender.

0.jpg

If you can scrape off the mold, do so, very gently.  Use sand paper with very little pressure. , then soak it in vinegar overnight and wash it with ordinary soap the next day and dry it.

You need to clean the beauty blender with the beauty blender cleanser. Ideally you should be cleaning it after each use and squeezing out the water. If you use a regular soap or shampoo then the soap will harbor bacteria in the centre of the sponge.

The reason why the beauty blender cleanser is best is because it is soy based so it will break down the product, keep the sponge hydrated, and ensure that there's no bacteria.

I'd suggest tossing your beauty blender, purchasing a new one, and purchasing the cleanser.

Side note: I work at Sephora and have thorough education from Beauty Blender itself about the product. A piece of me dies every time someone invests in a beauty blender but decides against the cleanser. It's not that we are trying to get clients to spend more money (we don't work on commission so you could be coming in and buying 7 dollar sephora nano liners for all we care) but it's important that you take good care of your products and tools to ensure that they last as long as possible.

@@RamseyBeauty baby shampoo is actually really bad for the beauty blender. Baby shampoo is made from mineral oil which is advertised as 'gentle' but it will lock the bacteria into the sponge. Mineral oil acts as a shield not allowing the sponge to breathe. It will also mix into your foundation as you apply it causing it to make a shield on your skin (like a saran wrap) resulting in break outs. The beauty blender cleanser would be the best option.

if I found mould on my sponge, I would throw it away and never never regret it. :luv:

rather throw it away rather than have breakouts or anything like that. :smilehappyyes:

After reading this post I decided to go check my beauty blender. There has been a couple times I didn't feel it dried quickly enough, and I was going to try the blow dryer tip. I can't believe it, I found some spots. I had to toss and I'm currently mourning the loss.

Wash it with hot water and soap after every use. Mild dish soap or shampoo works, as does the special cleanser. Make sure you rinse out ALL of the suds and air dry it completely. 

Mold will not grow in the absence of moisture.

#kellyspeca

Thanks for posting this!!!  I'm fairly new to Beauty Blenders - I've only used my BB and micro mini BBs for around 2 months now.  I clean mine with baby shampoo, squeeze out the excess water and air dry them after every use and I haven't seen any mold yet.  To be honest, I never even considered the possiblity of them growing mold... This is good to know - I am also seriously thinking about switching to the BB Cleanser now, too.

BTW - I have found that I am actually using a lot less eyeshadow primer and under eye concealer with the BB micro minis than when I used to apply by hand.  I think I use the same amount of foundation as with the cheapie drugstore sponge applicators.  I've never had luck with using foundation brushes.

@@RamseyBeauty baby shampoo is actually really bad for the beauty blender. Baby shampoo is made from mineral oil which is advertised as 'gentle' but it will lock the bacteria into the sponge. Mineral oil acts as a shield not allowing the sponge to breathe. It will also mix into your foundation as you apply it causing it to make a shield on your skin (like a saran wrap) resulting in break outs. The beauty blender cleanser would be the best option.
Good to know. I did some research when I first started using blending sponges and I was apparently misinformed somewhere along the line.

Just one more thing before I leave this topic alone, I really hate the idea of the new black coloured beauty blender sponge. Knowing that these sponges can get mouldy under some circumstances, you would not be able to see it with a black sponge. Gives me the heebies just thinking about it!
You get white mould instead! I've just moved out of a mould ridden flat that has terrible damp issues, my light coloured clothes have dark mould spots and my black clothes ended up with white mould on them, the dark green carpet had fluffy white mould growing on it and it was disgusting. 

Unfortunately, you need to dispose of it. No matter how many times you put it in the microwave, heat it, put hot water on it, you will not fully sanitize it of the mold. I doesn't matter how many times you put it in the microwave, you're risking your face and body for fungus infections. And let's say you do get rid of the mold... would you still feel comfortable putting it back on your face knowing it had mold in it? Do your face a favor, buy a new one! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Back