Beauty Blender grew mold

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is no real way to clean mold spores out of sponges (rather you can't really tell if the mold spores inside the sponge are dead and even dead mold spores, unless properly removed can cause problems....), I would definitely NOT recommend using it on your face after, at all, even if you think you have killed the spores. It is not worth it to possible get a skin infection or even respiratory problems by using it on your face. Don't know about you, but I would rather either by another sponge, use my fingers or a foundation brush then be worried about saving a $20-$30 sponge. And a trip to the dermatologists office + a prescription is going to cost a lot more in both time and money then $20. Always better safe then sorry.

If you try cleaning and disinfecting the sponge or cut away the moldy parts and want to try using it with nail polish I doubt that would hurt. And I don't see how it could contaminate your nail polish unless you put it up to or in the polish bottle (obvious the sponge isn't going to fit into the bottle.... What I would do is place a few drops of nail polish on some parchment paper or something non-porous, and dip the sponge into it. Then throw the remain nail polish (that was on the parchment) out when I was done. That way there is no contamination.

I bought the blender cleanser and left it to dry with the top off and both of my blenders grew mold. I wash them everyday after each use. They still grew mold :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Ok i been thinking of buying the beauty blender for some time now. Because i usually use the white triangle beauty sponges that are super cheap.love how my makeup looks flawless. But now i dont know about all the potential mold?!

They have their own set of cleanser and travel pouch. I guess you should have them so that you don't have the spots again.

One of my two grew mold. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> , I've treated them both the same, have the cleanser, and leave them out to dry. Going back to cheap white triangles lol.

It's been a while since I posted in this thread. I still use a Beauty Blender because I love it. I am currently using it with my Missha BB cream. I have had 4 Beauty Blenders now and two grew mold. I did eventually purchase the blender cleanser and found it really good. However, I found that it doesn't matter how well I airdry the sponge, it doesn't seem to make any difference to whether or not it grows mold. I dry mine in the open air on the window sill and after about a month two of them had the black flecks on them. I felt that it was probably time to replace them anyway! I am currently experimenting with another cleanser which is made especially for brushes and sponges by a company called BE. I will post back with my results, but so far it seems to be as good as the blender cleanser. If the mold spots stay away, I will be happy because this cleanser says it has antibacterial action!

Quote: Originally Posted by daffodil48 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  It's been a while since I posted in this thread. I still use a Beauty Blender because I love it. I am currently using it with my Missha BB cream. I have had 4 Beauty Blenders now and two grew mold. I did eventually purchase the blender cleanser and found it really good. However, I found that it doesn't matter how well I airdry the sponge, it doesn't seem to make any difference to whether or not it grows mold. I dry mine in the open air on the window sill and after about a month two of them had the black flecks on them. I felt that it was probably time to replace them anyway! I am currently experimenting with another cleanser which is made especially for brushes and sponges by a company called BE. I will post back with my results, but so far it seems to be as good as the blender cleanser. If the mold spots stay away, I will be happy because this cleanser says it has antibacterial action!

That is just so odd that it's growing mold with the cleanser. Out of curiosity, how are you washing and wringing out the sponge?

The instructions for washing the sponge are very simple. I do it exactly as it states on the bottle. I am pretty thorough. I make sure the sponge has no makeup residue on it at all and I do it every second day. Having read many forums on the subject, most people are lucky to clean their sponges once a week!

And you're wringing it out completely so it shrinks down once the water is squeezed out? I would suggest emailing Beautyblender about it because that's not normal at all for it to grow mold like that. I have one of my BBs for two or so years and it's perfectly fine. I don't use the BB cleanser but use Mona Lisa's Pink Soap or Koren's Soap. I sometimes use the BB soap when I remember to take it into the bathroom with me.

Anyone else get the solid cleanser from GB and find that it strips the color out of the pink BB?

Anyone else get the solid cleanser from GB and find that it strips the color out of the pink BB?
No, but I did find that the solid got the white Blender much cleaner than the liquid. Because of that, I never used the solid on my pink Blender. I wonder why that is.

I've tried using the Beauty Blender I got from Glossybox and HATE it. It seems to me like a trick to make me use up 3 times more foundation than I'd use with a brush. It just soaks everything up. I don't have the mold issue, but I second the reply that the Beauty Blender Cleanser is ordinary. It got very little of my makeup out of the sponge (L'Oreal Magic Nude liquid). My Dial hand soap in the bathroom did a better job to clean it. I have an unused Beauty Blender for a cheap sale (because I got 2 January Glossyboxes) if anyone happens to disagree with my take and really loves it.

I haven't tried using brushes for foundation but I may try it out since I agree that the BB soaks up a LOT of makeup.

I know you guys probably realize this, but just in case you don't, the BB is supposed to be slightly damp when you use it.  I run it under the faucet for a couple of seconds, then wring it out to get it just wet enough to use.  I also use the back of my hand as a "palette" to pick up the foundation.

There's some foundation that I wash out, but I haven't noticed that I use a lot of foundation.  If anything, I probably use less.  I have 2 bottles of foundation -- a UD Liquid Skin and a NARS Matte -- that I alternate, and I wear foundation pretty much 5 days a week.  I've had them since October, and still have about half left of each.

Also maybe the environment where it's stored can cause it. If it's left to dry in a dark bathroom with little airflow or sunlight (and frequent humidity due to showers/baths) maybe that causes the mold to grow? I haven't had a problem with mine yet, but I keep mine at my vanity in a spare bedroom.

Quote: Originally Posted by amygab1126 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I've tried using the Beauty Blender I got from Glossybox and HATE it. It seems to me like a trick to make me use up 3 times more foundation than I'd use with a brush. It just soaks everything up. I don't have the mold issue, but I second the reply that the Beauty Blender Cleanser is ordinary. It got very little of my makeup out of the sponge (L'Oreal Magic Nude liquid). My Dial hand soap in the bathroom did a better job to clean it. I have an unused Beauty Blender for a cheap sale (because I got 2 January Glossyboxes) if anyone happens to disagree with my take and really loves it.

I notice that I have to use a wee bit more foundation, but definitely not 3x more. Are you getting it damp first? In my experience that will prevent it from soaking everything up. 

Quote: Originally Posted by Jeaniney /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I notice that I have to use a wee bit more foundation, but definitely not 3x more. Are you getting it damp first? In my experience that will prevent it from soaking everything up. 
I did get it damp (a few seconds under running water, then squeezed that water out), but that seemed to screw up my primer pretty bad and made it go on unevenly. Maybe the products that I use just aren't particularly compatible with it.

Back