Jump to content
beautymadn3ss

Beauty Blender grew mold

Recommended Posts

Originally Posted by daffodil48 View Post

 

Just one more thing before I leave this topic alone, I really hate the idea of the new black coloured beauty blender sponge. Knowing that these sponges can get mouldy under some circumstances, you would not be able to see it with a black sponge. Gives me the heebies just thinking about it!

 

 

Now that you pointed it out, I have to agree. I never thought of the black sponge hiding mold since I've never encountered a mold problem with my own Beauty Blenders or any cosmetic sponge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You could try soaking it in a tea tree oil/ water mixture. I use this mixture on moldy walls, 1 part tea tree oil to 9 parts water. I'm not sure how well it will work on a beauty blender. It works great on a moldy wall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by italiablu View Post

 

You could try soaking it in a tea tree oil/ water mixture. I use this mixture on moldy walls, 1 part tea tree oil to 9 parts water. I'm not sure how well it will work on a beauty blender. It works great on a moldy wall.

 

I have ordered a new one, but will definitely be trying all of these tips if my new one develops the same problem. I absolutely love my beauty blender, so there is no way I will be going back to regular cosmetic sponges. I just wish they weren't so expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just curious, did you order the Blender cleaning solution with the dispenser / cradle as well?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by vogueboy View Post

 

Just curious, did you order the Blender cleaning solution with the dispenser / cradle as well?

 

No. The cleanser is not meant to be very good and none of the Australian websites offered the cradle. From what I read on other forums, dishwashing liquid is superior to the blender cleaning solution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by daffodil48 View Post

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogueboy View Post

 

Just curious, did you order the Blender cleaning solution with the dispenser / cradle as well?

 

No. The cleanser is not meant to be very good and none of the Australian websites offered the cradle. From what I read on other forums, dishwashing liquid is superior to the blender cleaning solution.

 

I have the cleanser and it's fine but I wouldn't use dishwashing liquid on my beauty blender. I actually use Mona Lisa's Pink Soap (not sure if it's sold in Ausralia) and Koren's brush soaps. I also use to disinfect just some isopropyl alcohol and allow to air dry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Zadi on this one. I've worked with MUA's from Hannibal, Hemlock Grove, Cottage Country, and Mortal Instruments: City of Bones. And they have the Blender cleanser, as it's meant for it due to the structure (density) of the sponge itself. Dishwashing detergent is too harsh as it's meant to cut grease on stainless steel, glass and porcelain... Well, dishes. Also dish washing sponges have a different structure than a Beauty Blender. It's the same reason why you wouldn't use dishwashing detergent to clean brushes, as the dried brushes feel like they have residue on them, no matter how many times you rinse them. The soaps that Zadi mentioned are less harsh but are effective as they're meant for make-up. Again, air drying is key, a slight airflow is even better. I know that Amazon and the Beauty Blender site, both carry the cleanser, being that no retailer in Australia carries it. I am sure they both ship there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the information, I just  bought 4 for 4 bucks, I know they are not the real deal but I thought I would try them out first. I wouldnt have even thought  they could grow mold .I dont know if these are ok  I have nothing to compare them to to,so I know  to keep these clean atleast.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by vogueboy View Post

 

I agree with Zadi on this one. I've worked with MUA's from Hannibal, Hemlock Grove, Cottage Country, and Mortal Instruments: City of Bones. And they have the Blender cleanser, as it's meant for it due to the structure (density) of the sponge itself.

 

Dishwashing detergent is too harsh as it's meant to cut grease on stainless steel, glass and porcelain... Well, dishes. Also dish washing sponges have a different structure than a Beauty Blender. It's the same reason why you wouldn't use dishwashing detergent to clean brushes, as the dried brushes feel like they have residue on them, no matter how many times you rinse them.

 

The soaps that Zadi mentioned are less harsh but are effective as they're meant for make-up. Again, air drying is key, a slight airflow is even better.

 

I know that Amazon and the Beauty Blender site, both carry the cleanser, being that no retailer in Australia carries it. I am sure they both ship there.

 

Actually in many of the beauty forums, dishwashing liquid is considered the best product for cleaning brushes. It all depends on who you believe really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by daffodil48 View Post

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogueboy View Post

 

I agree with Zadi on this one. I've worked with MUA's from Hannibal, Hemlock Grove, Cottage Country, and Mortal Instruments: City of Bones. And they have the Blender cleanser, as it's meant for it due to the structure (density) of the sponge itself.

 

Dishwashing detergent is too harsh as it's meant to cut grease on stainless steel, glass and porcelain... Well, dishes. Also dish washing sponges have a different structure than a Beauty Blender. It's the same reason why you wouldn't use dishwashing detergent to clean brushes, as the dried brushes feel like they have residue on them, no matter how many times you rinse them.

 

The soaps that Zadi mentioned are less harsh but are effective as they're meant for make-up. Again, air drying is key, a slight airflow is even better.

 

I know that Amazon and the Beauty Blender site, both carry the cleanser, being that no retailer in Australia carries it. I am sure they both ship there.

 

Actually in many of the beauty forums, dishwashing liquid is considered the best product for cleaning brushes. It all depends on who you believe really.

 

Also on many beauty forums people still think that hemorrhoid cream works to reduce under eye puffiness (which it use to) or that shaving causes hair to grow back thicker and darker (which it doesn't). ;) I always remember the insurance commercial that says something like, "Where did you hear that?" "The internet. They can't put something on the internet if it's not true." Granted something are good substitutions, some use to work and something are downright just incorrect.

 

Dish soap was never intended for brushes. Ask yourself this: Would you wash your hair with dish soap? Probably not since it typically will strip your hair of it's natural oils. It's the same principal when it comes to brushes especially natural fiber brushes. With synthetics dish soap won't strip it and cause the bristles to become brittle because the bristles are artificial in the first place but with natural fibers it can cause a problem in the long run. Also when you use a (DIY) method using dish soap most people add olive oil in it in order to condition it. There are better products on the market meant to wash and condition brushes and beauty sponges which really isn't that expensive. Don't get me wrong, if someone wants to use dish soap on their $20 MAC brush that's their business but personally I rather shell out the $6 for a bottle of Mona Lisa's Pink Soap (and it's under $2 for the small bottle) if I want to save some money because I want my brushes to last me years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by zadidoll View Post

 

 

Also on many beauty forums people still think that hemorrhoid cream works to reduce under eye puffiness (which it use to) or that shaving causes hair to grow back thicker and darker (which it doesn't). ;) I always remember the insurance commercial that says something like, "Where did you hear that?" "The internet. They can't put something on the internet if it's not true." Granted something are good substitutions, some use to work and something are downright just incorrect.

 

Dish soap was never intended for brushes. Ask yourself this: Would you wash your hair with dish soap? Probably not since it typically will strip your hair of it's natural oils. It's the same principal when it comes to brushes especially natural fiber brushes. With synthetics dish soap won't strip it and cause the bristles to become brittle because the bristles are artificial in the first place but with natural fibers it can cause a problem in the long run. Also when you use a (DIY) method using dish soap most people add olive oil in it in order to condition it. There are better products on the market meant to wash and condition brushes and beauty sponges which really isn't that expensive. Don't get me wrong, if someone wants to use dish soap on their $20 MAC brush that's their business but personally I rather shell out the $6 for a bottle of Mona Lisa's Pink Soap (and it's under $2 for the small bottle) if I want to save some money because I want my brushes to last me years.

 

 

 

Yes, but if enough people review an item or a method, then there has to be some truth to it. The reviews on a certain makeup site (very large) are pretty universal that the blender cleanser is ordinary. That makes a a person think hard about whether to spend money on it. This site is large enough that you can work out who is a shill for companies and who isn't. I don't think under the rules here that I am allowed to name it, but you probably all know which site I am talking about. Some products get thousands of reviews.

 

Anyway, away from that site and on to brush cleaning. I do remember watching a Michelle Phan tutorial once about brush cleaning that involved detergent (Dawn) and olive oil (Colavita). Now a lot of people swear by Michelle Phan, so you could argue that if Michelle Phan uses dishwashing liquid it must be OK. However, she added one step too many in my opinion and that was the oil. It damn near ruined my brushes!

 

I used to work in the beauty industry. I had my own waxing and spray tanning business, so your comment about the shaving made me laugh a bit. I have heard every falsehood about hair that you could possibly imagine!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the note of cleaning Beauty Blenders and keeping them in their best shape, have any of you tried microwaving them? I normally clean mine with shampoo, wring it out, soak it in alcohol, wring that out well, then let it air dry. (I clean mine after each use, and they've lasted very well and come clean each time; I use the pink ones.)

 

I was told several years ago that to extend the life of my kitchen sponges, I should wash them with soap and water, wring it out well, then microwave it for about 10 seconds to help kill bacteria. I still do it to this day and it helps keep my kitchen sponges clean and lasting longer! 

 

Have any of you tried this with a Beauty Blender though? I'm hesitant to put that overly-priced sponge in the microwave because the structure of it is different from a dish sponge. BUT since it works so well on my kitchen sponges in extending their lives, I'm wondering how well it'd work on a Beauty Blender to keep it in the best possible shape.

 

Any Thoughts? smile.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by daffodil48 View Post

 

 

Yes, but if enough people review an item or a method, then there has to be some truth to it. The reviews on a certain makeup site (very large) are pretty universal that the blender cleanser is ordinary. That makes a a person think hard about whether to spend money on it. This site is large enough that you can work out who is a shill for companies and who isn't. I don't think under the rules here that I am allowed to name it, but you probably all know which site I am talking about. Some products get thousands of reviews.

 

Anyway, away from that site and on to brush cleaning. I do remember watching a Michelle Phan tutorial once about brush cleaning that involved detergent (Dawn) and olive oil (Colavita). Now a lot of people swear by Michelle Phan, so you could argue that if Michelle Phan uses dishwashing liquid it must be OK. However, she added one step too many in my opinion and that was the oil. It damn near ruined my brushes!

 

I used to work in the beauty industry. I had my own waxing and spray tanning business, so your comment about the shaving made me laugh a bit. I have heard every falsehood about hair that you could possibly imagine!

 

LOL The dish soap and olive oil one is still pretty popular despite the fact it typically ruins brushes with that residue.

 

Oh, the shaving one makes me laugh because it's still passed around as fact. I wish it was kind of true because I'd shave my eyebrows off if it meant the growth would come back thicker and darker as my brows are not as dark or thick as they were when I was a teen. I think men - especially balding men - would shave their heads if it means thicker hair again. LOL

 

 

Originally Posted by LydiaNichole View Post

 

On the note of cleaning Beauty Blenders and keeping them in their best shape, have any of you tried microwaving them? I normally clean mine with shampoo, wring it out, soak it in alcohol, wring that out well, then let it air dry. (I clean mine after each use, and they've lasted very well and come clean each time; I use the pink ones.)

 

I was told several years ago that to extend the life of my kitchen sponges, I should wash them with soap and water, wring it out well, then microwave it for about 10 seconds to help kill bacteria. I still do it to this day and it helps keep my kitchen sponges clean and lasting longer! 

 

Have any of you tried this with a Beauty Blender though? I'm hesitant to put that overly-priced sponge in the microwave because the structure of it is different from a dish sponge. BUT since it works so well on my kitchen sponges in extending their lives, I'm wondering how well it'd work on a Beauty Blender to keep it in the best possible shape.

 

Any Thoughts? smile.gif

 

I've heard of doing that but I wouldn't simply because not all microwaves are the same and 10 seconds isn't enough to kill anything. You risk burning the sponge in the microwave or even catching it on fire if you nuke it too long. I would suggest using a hand towel to hold the sponge and simply using a hair dryer to dry. It won't kill anything but at least it'll dry the sponge out faster. That or put it out on little towel on a window ledge while the sun is hitting that spot and it should dry out in about 10 to 20 minutes if it's hot enough.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Originally Posted by LydiaNichole View Post

 

On the note of cleaning Beauty Blenders and keeping them in their best shape, have any of you tried microwaving them? I normally clean mine with shampoo, wring it out, soak it in alcohol, wring that out well, then let it air dry. (I clean mine after each use, and they've lasted very well and come clean each time; I use the pink ones.)

 

I was told several years ago that to extend the life of my kitchen sponges, I should wash them with soap and water, wring it out well, then microwave it for about 10 seconds to help kill bacteria. I still do it to this day and it helps keep my kitchen sponges clean and lasting longer! 

 

Have any of you tried this with a Beauty Blender though? I'm hesitant to put that overly-priced sponge in the microwave because the structure of it is different from a dish sponge. BUT since it works so well on my kitchen sponges in extending their lives, I'm wondering how well it'd work on a Beauty Blender to keep it in the best possible shape.

 

Any Thoughts? smile.gif

 

Your post certainly made me think, but like you, I would be hesistant about putting my bb in the microwave in case it damaged the integrity of the sponge. It would be a great last step in killing bacteria. I might try it on a cheaper cellulose sponge and see what happens!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sponges are not created equal. Due the density and type of sponge material of a BB, I would not recommend microwaving it. As for YouTube, Internet, Forums... Just because someone posts something up, doesn't make it true. (Again I agree with Zadi on this as well...) Being a MUA doesn't mean putting on colour... It means you need to know your human anatomy, (skeletal, muscular, epidermal structures, circulatory system), chemistry, history, english (for script and character breakdowns, and continuity) and be a research expert. The last part is important because of the Internet. Always consider and check and recheck your sources. Make-up guru's on YouTube only do their own face so they have no experience working on other people or skin tones, bone structures, or various environments where you would need to apply / remove make-ups or to trouble shoot any sudden problems or issues that may arise while working. (Hence the BB mould thing and brush cleaning, etc.) and that's why you get all these homemade trouble shooting remedies that don't work or cause other issues. Just sayin'.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no real way to clean mold spores out of sponges (rather you can't really tell if the mold spores inside the sponge are dead and even dead mold spores, unless properly removed can cause problems....), I would definitely NOT recommend using it on your face after, at all, even if you think you have killed the spores. It is not worth it to possible get a skin infection or even respiratory problems by using it on your face. Don't know about you, but I would rather either by another sponge, use my fingers or a foundation brush then be worried about saving a $20-$30 sponge. And a trip to the dermatologists office + a prescription is going to cost a lot more in both time and money then $20. Always better safe then sorry.

 

If you try cleaning and disinfecting the sponge or cut away the moldy parts and want to try using it with nail polish I doubt that would hurt. And I don't see how it could contaminate your nail polish unless you put it up to or in the polish bottle (obvious the sponge isn't going to fit into the bottle.... What I would do is place a few drops of nail polish on some parchment paper or something non-porous, and dip the sponge into it. Then throw the remain nail polish (that was on the parchment) out when I was done. That way there is no contamination.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok i been thinking of buying the beauty blender for some time now. Because i usually use the white triangle beauty sponges that are super cheap.love how my makeup looks flawless. But now i dont know about all the potential mold?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my two grew mold. :( , I've treated them both the same, have the cleanser, and leave them out to dry. Going back to cheap white triangles lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

toss it but, and try the real techniques complexion sponge. Find it at Ulta and Sephora!!! also less then half the price of the beauty blender. 

 

Check out a full review on my blog :)

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's been a while since I posted in this thread. I still use a Beauty Blender because I love it. I am currently using it with my Missha BB cream. I have had 4 Beauty Blenders now and two grew mold. I did eventually purchase the blender cleanser and found it really good. However, I found that it doesn't matter how well I airdry the sponge, it doesn't seem to make any difference to whether or not it grows mold. I dry mine in the open air on the window sill and after about a month two of them had the black flecks on them. I felt that it was probably time to replace them anyway! I am currently experimenting with another cleanser which is made especially for brushes and sponges by a company called BE. I will post back with my results, but so far it seems to be as good as the blender cleanser. If the mold spots stay away, I will be happy because this cleanser says it has antibacterial action!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffodil48 View Post
 

It's been a while since I posted in this thread. I still use a Beauty Blender because I love it. I am currently using it with my Missha BB cream. I have had 4 Beauty Blenders now and two grew mold. I did eventually purchase the blender cleanser and found it really good. However, I found that it doesn't matter how well I airdry the sponge, it doesn't seem to make any difference to whether or not it grows mold. I dry mine in the open air on the window sill and after about a month two of them had the black flecks on them. I felt that it was probably time to replace them anyway! I am currently experimenting with another cleanser which is made especially for brushes and sponges by a company called BE. I will post back with my results, but so far it seems to be as good as the blender cleanser. If the mold spots stay away, I will be happy because this cleanser says it has antibacterial action!

 

That is just so odd that it's growing mold with the cleanser. Out of curiosity, how are you washing and wringing out the sponge?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The instructions for washing the sponge are very simple. I do it exactly as it states on the bottle. I am pretty thorough. I make sure the sponge has no makeup residue on it at all and I do it every second day. Having read many forums on the subject, most people are lucky to clean their sponges once a week!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Posts

    • Love the placement and subtlety of the cat eye and subtle cut crease.  It looks gorgeous. I'm trying to perfect the cut crease with white eyeliner lately.  I've only practiced it twice so I have a long way to go.
    • Essential hydration The dermis is made up of 70% water and the epidermis 15%. To maintain a good level of hydration, it is therefore important to opt for daily moisturizers that balance the water level at the heart of the skin. You can also regularly use a moisturizing mask, it ensure both your face health and beauty by removing the excess using a mist of thermal water.
    • deppatch offers different colours of wigs in different lenght and styles you can choose your favourite one and change you look in few minutesif you want to be glamourous and beautifull you should visit our website for different makeup products and dresses of your choice. we are inviting you on our store to get affordable things with best results .
    • Banish hyperpigmentation and melasma with this powerful microcurrent Reusable Face Mask. Enhance your skin while lightening, tightening and brightening. Reduce wrinkles brighten the skin tone, Shop Now!
    • The fashion is the most inspiring on going trends changing always due the climate season and time, there are many people who are looking to get an modeling work...

About MakeupTalk®

© 2003-2018 MakeupTalk.com®, an active online community and message board geared towards members wanting to discuss everything to do with makeup, cosmetics, product reviews, monthly subscription boxes and general beauty related topics. Our community provides product reviews, makeup and general beauty tips. Our most popular topics are subscription boxes and their monthly spoilers. Join our community for free to take part in the conversations and share your own beauty tips and product reviews with others. We look forward to seeing you online here at Makeuptalk®!

Follow us

Recent tweets

MakeupTalk Facebook - 911K Likes

×
×
  • Create New...