Sign in to follow this  
Tinkabella

June 2013 No/Low Buy Goals & Support

I was really tempted by a nail polish kit. But then I looked at them more, realized I actually don't like any of the colors! Dodged that bullet. Don't click if you don't want to know!

I guess the sephora by OPI polishes are all on sale? I went so far as to call a store to reserve the Nailed It! Kit.

Thats great, I'm doing a makeup swap so im going to have to tweak by goals next month, but I don't make any unnecessary purchases so thats good :D

Is Sephora ending their partnership with OPI then? hm... the only time Sephora really puts stuff on sale is when they're discontinuing it. It seems insane because S!OPI seems like such a permanent fixture, but Sephora has been trying to promote the Sephora X line... the ariel polishes are all Sephora X instead of S!OPI

): if they're d/cing polishes, I want to grab them before they go out of stock... b ut i shouldn't... T_T too many polishes already

Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post

Is Sephora ending their partnership with OPI then? hm... the only time Sephora really puts stuff on sale is when they're discontinuing it. It seems insane because S!OPI seems like such a permanent fixture, but Sephora has been trying to promote the Sephora X line... the ariel polishes are all Sephora X instead of S!OPI

): if they're d/cing polishes, I want to grab them before they go out of stock... b ut i shouldn't... T_T too many polishes already

That's what I was wondering too - that's why I did a small haul. Maybe they're re-branding the Sephora/OPI collaboration? Or maybe coming out with new packaging? It seems odd because some of the items on sale are new to the site.

Is Sephora ending their partnership with OPI then? hm... the only time Sephora really puts stuff on sale is when they're discontinuing it. It seems insane because S!OPI seems like such a permanent fixture, but Sephora has been trying to promote the Sephora X line... the ariel polishes are all Sephora X instead of S!OPI ): if they're d/cing polishes, I want to grab them before they go out of stock... b ut i shouldn't... T_T too many polishes already
Haha. That's what I wrote about in my lil spoiler up there. I can't seem to find any sets that I like! That's a good thing!

Ok, I went to the BBW at the mall for their Semi Annual Sale and I stuck to my low buy rules.  I wanted the Country Apple spray and lotion while it was in stores since it's usually only online & they were only $3 a piece.  That's all I got...woot. $6 and paid with cash.

Originally Posted by la rubia View Post

Ok, I went to the BBW at the mall for their Semi Annual Sale and I stuck to my low buy rules.  I wanted the Country Apple spray and lotion while it was in stores since it's usually only online & they were only $3 a piece.  That's all I got...woot. $6 and paid with cash.

Congrats! I'm glad I avoided the sale because I tend to hoard BBW and I definitely would not have only spent $6 lol

I brought 5 items already this month so I can't buy anything else, which is fine because I don't usually buy anything during the second half of the month.

Originally Posted by lioness90 View Post

Congrats! I'm glad I avoided the sale because I tend to hoard BBW and I definitely would not have only spent $6 lol

I brought 5 items already this month so I can't buy anything else, which is fine because I don't usually buy anything during the second half of the month.

I have to admit my strict NO CREDIT CARD rule helped.  I think $10 was all I had on me. lol

I'm sooo glad I came across this thread -- I need it! I left my phd program/TA job in April, traveled through Europe for a month, and landed a teaching job in the fall (YAY!) but need to keep my hands out of my wallet until then! Anyway, that said, I started with a no buy policy, but *cough* I've had to amend that to a low-buy policy. I think I've been OK so far -- my sis got a $10 off $40 purchase from B&BW semi-annual sale, and we decided to share the coupon so we could take advantage of the sale w/out going too crazy. ;)

Anyway, since I have moving expenditures and stuff coming up, my goal is to avoid all beauty-related purchases til August. That feels so far away. :/

I'm sooo glad I came across this thread -- I need it! I left my phd program/TA job in April, traveled through Europe for a month, and landed a teaching job in the fall (YAY!) but need to keep my hands out of my wallet until then! Anyway, that said, I started with a no buy policy, but *cough* I've had to amend that to a low-buy policy. I think I've been OK so far -- my sis got a $10 off $40 purchase from B&BW semi-annual sale, and we decided to share the coupon so we could take advantage of the sale w/out going too crazy. ;) Anyway, since I have moving expenditures and stuff coming up, my goal is to avoid all beauty-related purchases til August. That feels so far away. :/
Congrats on the teaching job!! Those jobs can be hard to get - I became a licensed teacher last year but ended up becoming a full time masters student and TA. Good luck with your no buy and teaching position! Shopping for classroom decor and supplies is just as fun as shopping for makeup, in my opinion lol.

I'm gonna do mostly a low-buy month. I'm trying to use up a few things. However, I am NOT buying hair products this month. No shampoo, conditioner, styling products, or anything. I am getting my hair trimmed up next weekend, but that's it. I actually threw my Ulta coupon away so I wouldn't be tempted.

Originally Posted by dolceloure View Post

I'm sooo glad I came across this thread -- I need it! I left my phd program/TA job in April, traveled through Europe for a month, and landed a teaching job in the fall (YAY!) but need to keep my hands out of my wallet until then! Anyway, that said, I started with a no buy policy, but *cough* I've had to amend that to a low-buy policy. I think I've been OK so far -- my sis got a $10 off $40 purchase from B&BW semi-annual sale, and we decided to share the coupon so we could take advantage of the sale w/out going too crazy. ;)

Anyway, since I have moving expenditures and stuff coming up, my goal is to avoid all beauty-related purchases til August. That feels so far away. :/

Congrats on the new job and good luck!  I knew to aim for a low buy because doing a no buy at the moment would just be setting myself up for failure.  This thread is great for support too.

I confess that I've gotten so freaked out about the amount of shower gel that I have that I put a bunch of the unopened stuff up on Poshmark, and I will be donating whatever doesn't sell (which will probably be all of it) to a local shelter for victims of domestic violence.  I will still have a lot of partially-used bottles, but it will be a much smaller number, and some of these are almost gone.  My no-buy for shower gel will be much shorter than I've been planning, but it's still on the no-buy list for June.

Thats great that you donating what you dont use! My mom works for the state helping people who cant afford to pay their electricity bill && we usually donate clothes, toys, ect to them as well. B&BW is my enabler I swear that place taunts me every time I leave home!!!

Originally Posted by mauu View Post

Good job indeed! claps.gif The thing with Avon is that they always have sales going on, so you're not missing out on anything. There are always going to be new sales and new products.

That's the thing we have to keep telling ourselves about all stores, don't we? There will always be another sale/promotion! My new mantra. :P

Yeah... I was super DDD8 about the Sephora by OPI sale (nail polishes are soo my weakness and s!OPI almost never goes on sale) and the UD sale happening at once, especially along with the Julep sale. This is the first time in a year I haven't actively had an income so I can't justify it when I have so much make up already, and I did place a BB order with points and Julep order with my Bloomspot cert at the beginning of the month so I can't even justify it.

I think the best thing to tell yourself is that there will always be make up on sale. Also, there's little assuaging the greed monster that is make up XD see: my makeup orders at the beginning of the month and me already wanting more now. I have lots and lots of makeup to work though before I can justify being more, sale or not.

Besides, we're closer to Black Friday than we are to the beginning of this year. So just keep that in perspective!

I'm joining this discussion late this month. Last month I went on a low buy and set myself a 5 item limit. I ended up buying 7 things but consider it a success over the amount of products I usually buy. This month I wanted to set myself the same goal but never came on here to officially declare it, now we are half way in to the month and I have already exceeded my 5 item limit! I'm already at 8 items which doesn't even include Ipsy and something else that I exchaged at Sephora. I am not as mad at myself as I should be since 6 of these 8 items are nail polish and I haven't actually bought nail polish for a while, and I even threw about a dozen polishes away about 2 months ago. Also, the polishes I got were cheap (Essie, Sephora by O. P. I., and Zoya so none of them exceeded $8). I have to stop though. I just have way too much stuff and nowhere to put it. My hubby and I are moving and he has expresed very clearly and repeatedly that he does not want to see more makeup and that I need to put it all out of sight in our new place. I need help :-/

I just saw people are discussing the Bath and Body Works sale. I used to be hooked on that place but have done well at only buying what I need from there the past few years and don't feel guilty shopping there since shower gel and body splash are things I feel like I do need. Yesterday I went by and ended up spending $45 but it was all on Wall Flowers and candles for my new condo! I didn't even feel tempted by the lotions and shower gels! I suppose this is my one win, now I just needed to apply this thinking to make up.

I'm joining late too. I really need some support for my low buy, I should do no buy but I know I'll go a bit crazy after it ... so low buy it is.

The only thing I have to buy this month is non-makeup related and it's a battery recharger with AA batteries so I can use my camera again, my old one died.I also need a larger memory card but that can wait unless I see a great sale.

I get an Ipsy bag every month, I thought it would help me spend less ~ some months it does others no like when things aren't going well.

As in last month I lost my furbaby cat to pet food poisoning, I can't seem to get over his loss and neither can his sister ~ his twin (thank god she wasn't eating the same food)  but she can't buy makeup though I'm sure if she could she would, instead she was taking it out on her bed so I had to take it away for now.

So what did I do? I bought eyeshadow palettes, lipsticks, lipgloss, blushes all to make me feel better and it did for a little while...  

I overspent last month and really have to cut way back for months, so I'll limit myself to 5 items or less if possible and they have to be really inexpensive - so far I've bought nothing this month .. a small victory. But I've been eyeing some lipglosses & a lipstick, I keep telling myself I really don't need them though they are very low priced and the clincher I have a coupon lol

Ugh! I need help! icon_cry.gif

Flowerfish, I usually only get shower gels and lotion! For some reason I can never miss a sale, now to limit temptation I just delete their emails when I get them

Lisabette, Aww you poor thing, some people dont get it but animals are family also. Thats great that you didn't purchase anything this month. If you really find the urge to spend you should set a dollar amount, instead of a product amount! Thats an easy way for you to set a limit on your spending. Then you should ask yourself 'Am I really going to use this? How much will I use it' Questions like that brings reasoning into play and you'll perhaps find out your really dont want it, but if you do you should buy it but dont exceed your limit. I hope that helps hun!!!!

Well, didn't make it for a no-buy, but I'm still fairly low.  Makeup-wise, I bought a Lip Factory box.  Haven't come across the Infallible Eyeshadow I was going to allow, but I'm going to skip it for June since I bought that box.

As for cookbooks, I bought 3.  =(  But each was just a penny + $3.99 shipping on Amazon, and they were unique.  (Two are for an ice cream maker.  I got one a few years ago, but never use it because I don't have recipes.  The other is a bunch of recipes for sides of every veggie you can think of, so I can stop buying the frozen veggies in sauce.)

So not perfect, but I'm usually far worse.

Edit to correct myself ~*~ I lied.  The veggie cookbook was $4 + shipping.  Just the ice cream ones were a penny each.

Lisabette, I'm so sorry to hear about your furbaby. I agree with Tinkabella, animals are family too. I'm so glad to hear that your other kitten is alright. It's completely understandable that you tried to make yourself feel better by buying make up. That's probably what I would do, too. But perhaps you can channel your energy into something more positive in order to take your mind off things? For example trying to focus on making a dent in your make up collection and finishing up half-used items etc. I've also spent ages making an Excel sheet for my low-buy progress. Just a thought, it's something that works for me.