Sign in to follow this  
Tinkabella

June 2013 No/Low Buy Goals & Support

For the first time in a while I'm going on sephora and urbandecay.com and filling up carts. AGH WORK STRESS. I haven't bought a single item of makeup in June, and I've been making really great progress but I feel like I'm about to have a giant set back.

Originally Posted by Playedinloops View Post

For the first time in a while I'm going on sephora and urbandecay.com and filling up carts. AGH WORK STRESS. I haven't bought a single item of makeup in June, and I've been making really great progress but I feel like I'm about to have a giant set back.

Don't do it!!!

It'll make you feel good for a while, but then you'll have more stuff. And feel guilty. ): THink about how far you got already!! Only 9 more days until the new month

Don't do it!!! It'll make you feel good for a while, but then you'll have more stuff. And feel guilty. ): THink about how far you got already!! Only 9 more days until the new month
What Kyuu said! Go ahead and fill your cart, and then pick out a much lower dollar amount and play Cart Tetris. Figure out what you can get and exactly hit that total. Don't actually go through checkout. Save the cart and let it sit a few hours/overnight, and then go back, add more things, and re-edit. Repeat all weekend. I usually find it even more soothing to do this than to actually place the order and get the things.

Originally Posted by meaganola View Post

What Kyuu said! Go ahead and fill your cart, and then pick out a much lower dollar amount and play Cart Tetris. Figure out what you can get and exactly hit that total. Don't actually go through checkout. Save the cart and let it sit a few hours/overnight, and then go back, add more things, and re-edit. Repeat all weekend. I usually find it even more soothing to do this than to actually place the order and get the things.

This. I love Cart Tetris! I've been playing it all week lol

Oh, that's a great idea! Unfortunately, it's also still a time waster and not great for being productive. XD;

But yeah, I think most of us get a shopper's high from looking at stuff and picking out things. Shipping out is exciting, but when we actually get the stuff we're like, "oh... stuff! okay." Rinse and repeat.

Go read some blogs and see what other people have gotten in their boxes. ;D Vicariously live through other people's purchases. That's a great way to curtail shopping!

Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post

Oh, that's a great idea! Unfortunately, it's also still a time waster and not great for being productive. XD;

But yeah, I think most of us get a shopper's high from looking at stuff and picking out things. Shipping out is exciting, but when we actually get the stuff we're like, "oh... stuff! okay." Rinse and repeat.

Go read some blogs and see what other people have gotten in their boxes. ;D Vicariously live through other people's purchases. That's a great way to curtail shopping!

I agree on the anticlimax of getting stuff, but when I look at other people's blogs it makes me want to go buy the stuff they bought.

'i love the cart tetris idea.  Gonna go look at some other people's blogs too.  So close to the end of June--we can do it! I haven't bought anything beauty related yet (except Birchbox, which is an annual subscription, so it was bought and paid for long ago.)

Originally Posted by mangoloveyou2 View Post

With motivation and effort you can really do it. These are my empties

Good Luck

Nice going!!

I'm dying of curiosity, does cutting up the bottles/tubes mean anything?

Originally Posted by Xiang View Post

Nice going!!

I'm dying of curiosity, does cutting up the bottles/tubes mean anything?

Didn't see the blog link before it was removed but I cut up empty tubes in order to get every last bit of product out. Even when a tube feels empty there's usually a lot left if you cut it up. You can scrape the sides of the tubes with a clean spatula and put the product into an empty sample jar or just use the top half of the tube as a lid. I do this to all moisturizers, hand creams, body lotions etc. It helps you not to waste product or money.

Originally Posted by mauu View Post

Didn't see the blog link before it was removed but I cut up empty tubes in order to get every last bit of product out. Even when a tube feels empty there's usually a lot left if you cut it up. You can scrape the sides of the tubes with a clean spatula and put the product into an empty sample jar or just use the top half of the tube as a lid. I do this to all moisturizers, hand creams, body lotions etc. It helps you not to waste product or money.

I've never thought of that, what a great idea! Thank you!

Thanks for the support guys! I ran away from my computer and didn't end up buying anything. I am doing a pretty good job of entertaining myself this weekend so no worries there. 

Originally Posted by Playedinloops View Post

Thanks for the support guys! I ran away from my computer and didn't end up buying anything. I am doing a pretty good job of entertaining myself this weekend so no worries there. 

I've drooled over many MANY things this month but have yet to make a purchase. Running away from the shopping cart before clicking submit helps a lot. icon_cheesygrin.gif

But I've resisted everything even that Ariel Palette that is just soooo gorgeous but I don't actually need it.. That's got to count for something, right? Haha.

Oh wait, I did open up a 2nd sub to birchbox this month. Nooooo..... I couldn't resist BB, took forever to get off the waiting list this time. I have 3 sub boxes now even though I canceled Beauty Army, BB5 and EcoEmi last month. I guess 3 is still better than 5?  eusa_wall.gif

And June is almost over. Wheew!

I've been wanting that Ariel palette hardcore, but right before I was about to buy it, I closed the tab. I have so many eyeshadows and palettes already, and there's really no reason for me to get it. I bought the MAC lipstick in flamingo, and my husband bought me Heaux and Riri Boy for our anniversary. That's it, though. I honestly really haven't been tempted by much, to be honest. Maybe I'm burnt out on beauty, or maybe deep down I know I'd rather wait until fall because I just loooove autumn collections.

Empties have been going crazy, crazy slow this month. There were so many things that I thought I'd finish up with, but it's looking like that won't be the case after all. I'm trying, though! I'm about to go through my makeup and clear out everything that doesn't work for me, or I really dislike and I know I won't ever use. 

LOL I found like dozens of tiny bottles of shampoo and travel-sized toothpaste in the house, and I'm using them all up now. XD They were all hidden for some reason... talk about goo-hoarding!

I'm going to feel so good about using them all up, though it's not such a huge accomplishment since they're tiny bottles.

Y__Y I feel so good about myself for resisting the Julep Warehouse, Sephora by OPI, and Urban Decay sales... but I'm still like sad inside that I missed them. Ah well.

I actually sold a few bottles of bath stuff on Poshmark! And then I gave the rest to a shelter, and I used up a bottle! Now on to the next partial bottle. And then there's the part where I was eyeing a Lancôme eye palette, but I realized that they were close enough to some pigments I have that I could pass, except I had no silver, so I placed an order for pigments and got 19 pigments (I'm working on collecting them all and had planned on ordering a bunch this week anyway) for $15 less than the palette with four or five shades would have cost.

I didn't do so good for this month's low-buy.

Fell off the wagon MAJORLY.

My face had a huge breakout around the second week of June and since I started using new cleansing oil and cleanser around the end of May, I freaked out and went out and bought my old cleansing oil and cleanser (new cleanser was $25 a bottle, old cleanser was $45 a bottle! I was hoping my face would like the new cleanser as its less expensive!). 

While I was on Sephora buying my old stuff, the breakout stress also 'caused' me to buy the Sephora Too Faced anniversary palette and Makeup Forever sensitive eyes remover (small bottle). 

This would be the second time I bought the Sephora Too Faced anniversary palette! I bought it before, looked at it and decided I really don't need it and returned it untouched.

Anyways, so now I bought it AGAIN b/c I just can't seem to LET IT GO.  My only consolation was I had a 10% off coupon from VIB so I bought it at least with 10% off.

I also bought 2 Rimmel apocalips at Walgreens, what made me feel better was I got 2000 Walgreen reward points =_= 

Also bought 2 Revlon kissable balm stain, consolation was they were on sale (extra bucks etc) and the color "Precious" washed me out SO MUCH that its a good base for my other lip products to go on top of as I've got pigmented lips at times. 

However! I am panning my concealer! and face powder! so that makes me feel good ^_^  but i still got like 2 face powders as back up =_= 

Oh Jaly, I can relate. I fell off the wagon too. I wasn't supposed to buy any lip products but somehow I've managed to accumulate one new lipstick and two glosses, ugh. Got lured in by limited edition items and sales. On top of that I also had to stock up on essential skin care items.

Still, there were a lot of times when I was able to resist buying stuff. I already had carts filled out or products in my hand but I deleted the carts or put the products back. So I guess I should at least be proud of that. Baby steps... ooops.gif

Other than the Lip Factory box (and my sub to Starlooks), I haven't bought any more makeup this month.  And oddly enough, I seem to be off my makeup hoarding kick.  At least for the moment.  Not even tempted.

I've bought a ton of cookbooks this month, though. 

Gonna try again in July - a no buy for makeup and cookbooks.

I did well this month. Unfortunately, I have to do a makeup no-buy next month because I'm moving and I'm broke lol.

I totally messed up my no buy :(!  I bought the wonderlust cc collection from BB for $8, then I bought 2 UD Deluxe Palettes (1 for me and 1 for a present) even though I already have like 6 UD palettes and I'll never finish all of them, and then I went into Sephora yesterday just to get my birthday gift and I bought 2 waterproof eyeliners in teal and bronze (which was okay since I don't own any waterproof eyeliners and they are very summery) for $3 each, and  one olive colored liquid eyeliner for $5.

I also signed up for Starlooks and Beauty Army in addition to my Birchbox!

Next month will also be a no-buy as a try to save money for college

/o There's a new marshall's that opened up downtown near where i'm working again (I worked at a research program last year, left for a while, and now I'm working there PT), and I keep wandering in. I spotted some Sparitual which I really wanted to try and some ORLY minis and duos for really cheap. And one of my favourite perfumes (which is Liz Clairborne -- don't laugh okay!) in 100mL for $15. ):

I was good today and didn't get anything, but I think when the month resets, i'm going to go grab some stuff. I'm being good and having a success no-buy!

I'm not doing so great. I didn't do *that* much shopping in June, but for someone who's not working and doesn't start her new job til August AND is moving...any shopping is probably a bad idea. :(

My goal is to buy *nothing* through July, because August is my birthday month and I really to take advantage of those birthday perks that come along from my favorite stores, even if it's just a couple of small purchases.

I can't wait to start working again...partly for normal reasons (money, being productive, love teaching, health insurance), but also because I just need to fund my shopping addiction. :P

So far, I've done really well.  But this weekend I will be at a big rummage sale, and those are my downfall.  People always donate unused, still wrapped, fancy soaps, and I always buy them.  Going to try to be strong.

I donated something like twenty bottles of shower gel! I still have a few months' worth of it in quite a few partial bottles, but this feels like a much more manageable amount to have. I was actually having mini panic attacks from the amount I had. New rule for the rest of the year: I can get one new bottle for every two I finish. That should get me back on the track of replacing at the rate I use stuff up as opposed to stocking up when there's a really good deal, which is how I ended up with *way* too much in the first place. I was extremely financially insecure at the time, which flipped my hoarding switch. Now it's three raises, two bonuses, and an actual job (rather than temp assignments of uncertain length, plus there's a coworker's retirement this week, and she's not being replaced, so we have already been told there *will* be overtime involved, and I'm hourly, so hello, time and a half) later, so I can pace myself and look forward to periodic splurges.