Sign in to follow this  
jrenee

September 2013 - No Buy/ Low Buy Support Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by page5 View Post

My low buy for September:

Three beauty subs (two are pre-paid). I should probably get this back down to two subs but one is birchbox and most of their samples are so tiny that they don’t add much to my stash.

One beauty purchase if I see something I really, really want

I’d add replacement items only but I’m not running out of anything this month J

My low buy from previous months is paying off - I used up many products in August. Most were not used up in one month but were the culmination of four+ months of use. I don’t have any use it up goals, just keep using current products and don’t add to my stash except subs. Looking at my surplus of products they can mostly be summed up as: Allure Box, L'Oreal test panel compensation, MIL who thinks every girl needs more B&BW 

Next, I want to re-evaluate my eyeliners and lip products. I should toss a few that I know aren’t working for me but my frugal girl soul doesn’t want to give up on them yet.

Putting $ saved towards a new refrigerator. Boring but necessary because our current one is over 20 years old and making some strange noises. It was purchased before 3 kids came into our lives so we do need a bigger model as well. 

At first I thought it was kind of silly to post here but it keeps me mindful of purchases and I learn from other gals here. 

I, too, thought it was kind of silly. However, I've found that I tend to stick more to my "goals" if I write them down. I also am really thankful for the fact that if I have a lipstick in my hand and put it back -- I can come here and tell you fab ladies and you'll know what a tough thing that was. Mister is just like "what? it was just lipstick!" -- nooooooo. It was the most beautiful, most aweseme, most raved about lipstick on the planet. ha!

Guest ButterflyGrl

Not only that, but maybe we can offer some support to each other if we are starting to cave! We can be disenablers! LOL

Hey Guys!  My first time to do this but I'm in need of an intervention!  I'm not going to go for a total no buy this month but for a low-buy. 

Allowed:

Products that are on sale and I have a coupon for that are no more than $5 total after coupon and sale.  If it's not on sale and I don't have a coupon then it's not allowed.
Products that I'm out of. 

Banned:

Hautelook!  I've been Hautelook crazy lately and it needs to stop. 

eyeslipsface.com  <---- Their sales keep dragging me in. 

I'd also like to remind us that if some of us do slip up, we've got the Confessional/Oops I slipped up thread - aka the thread of shame (just kidding). wink.gif It might be a good idea to keep confessions in that thread so that we don't accidentally enable each other in this thread. I know I might fall victim to the "well, other people are slipping up as well so this isn't so bad" mentality.

Originally Posted by jrenee View Post

I don't buy a lot of products because I want makeup collection, but I do want to find my HG blush, eyeshadows, primers, lipstick, and skin care products.  I tend to buy (especially skin care) in order to try new brands and new regimes.  I don't end up getting through my old stash, so I feel guilty and keep it around instead of tossing it out.  Hence why I now have 9 face cleansers.  It took me trying 5 BB creams to find my go-to BB Cream.  

I'm sure there are many people who view their makeup as a collection, and will buy products to add to their collection.  But I feel like I buy a lot of products because I'm trying things out, seeing what works for me (especially if I can try their product through a samples or sales).  The only 'collection' I have is my nail polish.  I have 40 polishes and I adore each and every bottle like it's a baby kitten. LOL  

You bring up a good point. Using up products before getting new ones takes a lot of discipline. I seem to find myself with multiples of the same kind of items (nude all-over-the-lid eyeshadows and brown eyeliners, for example) because I always think that new product I'm lusting after is going to be different or better than the others. The truth is they seldom are. I could do with just one or two nude eyeshadows and brown eyeliners but I seem to have accumulated many more in my search for HGs. This is something I need to keep in mind during my future low-buys. smilehappyyes.gif

Edit: blushingsooner, good luck with your first low-buy! It might take some time getting used to doing a low-buy but you'll be so proud of yourself when you succeed. 

My low buy from previous months is paying off - I used up many products in August. Most were not used up in one month but were the culmination of four+ months of use.
Yeah I think the vast majority of us don't just use a product start-to-finish within one month! Some of the stuff has been around for years.

I really don't buy  what  I call high end products so that is not  to0  big of issue but I did want  the Helllo Kitty mirror  from Sephora ,my birthday is  in September. Heck  I  still have hand lotion from a year  ago, hair product. I spend maybe 30 a month on  what I call  fun, such as Yard sale items ,thrift store  jewelry,cheap makeup like Elf or clearance  stuff, once in awhile Hello Kitty or  Ebay stuff. I could  lose my over  time  hours from work any day now  so I have to  stop buying  anything extra now. Plus  I have all kinds of Dr bills. blehhhhhhh. I'm  not  even going to buy my soda  pop daily. I feel deprived  though. I  work hard and lots of hours I feel I need  some kind of treat. I don't  buy half of what  some  people do but I ve bought to much makeup in the last 4 months. I am going to keep Ipsy, I also am going to USE stuff up sometimes I just  buy crap just to have. I stopped  buying craft stuff   last year  and I still have a ample supply For  28 years  I was a  single mother of 3, I still have trouble even buying stuff I have to have. I could  see my self being a hoarder, I'm  glad I don't have a lot to spend or I would lol. I suffer from empty nest issues and I try to fix my loneliness with buying stuff even if its  5 dollar  stuff from the Dollar Store. I still think I need  some  Hello Kitty  stuff from Sephora . I also  watch too much  of the Beauty guru;s on youtube.

Good luck ladies,

I unsubscribed to a ton of websites (looking at you, Hautelook!) just so I don't see whats going on over there. Don't forget that ELF usually runs a sale so its nothing special... 

I think what dragged me into my makeup habit was the idea of "make up never being on sale" -- like all I had was the Sephora VIB discount during the holidays and Chic Week...little did I know its like everyone is having a Friends and Family discount thingy every few months or so...What's really helped me is just a little reminder to myself that it will probably go on sale again. :)

Originally Posted by blushingsooner View Post

Hey Guys!  My first time to do this but I'm in need of an intervention!  I'm not going to go for a total no buy this month but for a low-buy. 

Allowed:

Products that are on sale and I have a coupon for that are no more than $5 total after coupon and sale.  If it's not on sale and I don't have a coupon then it's not allowed.
Products that I'm out of. 

Banned:

Hautelook!  I've been Hautelook crazy lately and it needs to stop. 

eyeslipsface.com  <---- Their sales keep dragging me in. 

I've been on a low/no buy all summer but had no idea there was a thread for support! Anyways I'm joining you guys, this month will be exceptionally hard because I'll have roughly 600 dollars coming my way extra a month (yay for back to school equals TA pay check and I'm offically in my "thesis writing" year of grad school so my tuition goes way down!) BUT this money should be saved for car repairs and paying off undergrad debt. So I am on a super low buy/no buy. My allowances: my month ipsy bag and any hygiene products that need replaced. So far I haven't been tempted too much this summer and can hopefully keep saving. Unfortunately, Target and Forever21 are opening in my city (I'm in Canada so I would normally only get to these places once a year!) And both are due to open Fall 2013. I must stay strong!

Originally Posted by mauu View Post

People are different and low-buys are about buying less than you normally would, so as long as it's working out for you, good for you. Although to be honest a lot of people do low-buys that don't quite sound like a low-buy to me but hey, whatever floats your boat. I don't know how much said people would be buying if they weren't on a low-buy.

Having said that, if you're worried your low-buy isn't "strict" enough, perhaps consider dropping the Birchbox sub, skipping the Julep box and using shower gel as a bubble bath? I know it's not the same thing as Lush's bubble bars but it'd help you use up stuff. Just a thought.

Yeah, I barely even call this month for me a low-buy. More like a "stick to a certain amount of spending and don't go crazy just cuz it's your birthday." haha. I probably will skip the Julep box, since I've done so for the past couple months without remorse, and put a limit of two Lush bubble bars. Also the Birchbox is pre-paid so it's already out of the bank account lol :)

Originally Posted by meaganola View Post

The scary thing is that, yeah, I would be buying about four times as much as my allowed list if I didn't put some restrictions on it. That list isn't even what I normally get in one *week*. I've deliberately been buying lots of stuff this past year to build up my collection from pretty much nothing, and I'm trying to ramp back down so I don't buy this much stuff next year. I want a new laptop and a Dyson!

Totally! I think my main thing (scary to think about) is that I just get carried away. I see a blog post on some makeup item and I'm like, OMG MUST HAVE without giving a second thought. It was a really bad trap to get into!

Originally Posted by saycrackagain View Post

Get out! Lol

Lol! I promise I won't post any buy-enabling posts this month ;)

With all that said, my "used up" goal for this month is emptying at least one of my body/hand lotions. I have a bunch half-empties that are laying around, so I'm just going to keep one mini in my purse for work/going out and one large bottle for after showering and such. And ONLY using those two, until they run out.

Here's my list September beauty low-buy list! : (I tried to be very specific so I know exactly what I can/can not have. Hopefully a more detailed list will help me stick to a September low-buy better than I did for August!) 

ALLOWED:

-Eye makeup remover 

-Personal Hygiene Items (deodorant, etc)

-Glossybox subscription (I recently canceled BirchBox and also Eco Emi a few months back since I wasn't enjoying them as much as Glossybox. I'd rather put the money towards Items I truly want/love, than foil samples I will overlook and not enjoy as much.)

-MAC Antonio Lopez collection items (I have been waiting for this for ages!! I'm a huge fan of his, so I've been saving/planning to purchase a few items from this collection for months! These are the ONLY makeup items I'm allowed to buy for the month of September!!! Period. That is it! )

-One new perfume, since I have recently used up three full sized ones as well as a few samples.

-Scarf for Fall weather...one. that is it...one scarf! (I love scarves!) There was a green studded one I saw at Target a few days ago. So glad I didn't impulse buy it, but now that I've thought on it for a while, I will allow myself to purchase that one scarf. 

-CoverGirl Hunger Games collection items...ONLY with a coupon! (I don't think it even launches until October, but just incase, I'm budgeting for a few little items now!)

-Scent Shots/ Wax for my wax warmers (I've used up a lot lately, so running low on things. I prefer natural wax to to plug-in's)

-nail polish: ONLY if there is a BOGO / major sale, and limited to a reasonable number. (Since I missed out on the ZOYA BOGO order I tried to place, this will give me time to think on the colors I truly want in my collection, and prevent me from impulse buying in between sales. (If I buy a drugstore polish, I MUST have a coupon and it must be on sale.That is it! No full price polishes, and only a few colors I've seen swatches of, added to my list, and not just impulsively bought.)

-Missha BB cream (replacement for mine that is almost empty, that I received in last years' Glossy Box)

-Back 2 MAC lipstick (Going to be turning in a few empties in exchange for a lipstick freebie).

-nail polish top coat since I'm low on my other bottle

-organizer for my makeup brushes (I want a white spinney one, I've outgrown my up cycled candle jars!)  

-Ball Mason Jars to can, cook, and make projects with for the holidays/gifts

-Cotton Facial Ovals (to remove makeup with)

-Fall decor items for the house, within the budget I set for it. Not a penny over! (Since I'm kind of stuck at home for now, I like to decorate and make it cheerful! I'm going to spend anything on decor though, it has to fit the budget!)

-nail polish wheel to swatch the polish colors I already have with, so they don't get overlooked.

-Two lip glosses in Fall shades...any brand. But only two. That is it. Not three, not four...only two! 

-Hair cut/highlights and eyebrow wax (It's beauty related, may as well add it to the list and budget accordingly!) I haven't had my hair cut since the last guy butchered it in April, so I'm overdue for a new style, and a new stylist!)

-loofah

BANNED LIST:

-eyeliner

-mascara

-shampoo

-conditioner

-shower gel

-bubble bath

-bath salts

-bubble bars

-bath bombs

-body lotion

-cuticle cream (need to use up the one I have first)

-body splash

-candles (I need to use a few up before I replenish my candles)

-hair products (other than a replacement blow dryer) 

-eyebrow products

-eyeshadow (except for MAC collection)

-highlighters

-chap stick ( I DO NOT NEED ANY MORE!!!! I'm embarrassed I have so many lol!) 

-makeup brushes

-face creams

-eye primer

-eye roller ball/depuffer (I need to use my current ones up first)

-Facial Wipes/ Makeup Remover Wipes

-palettes (Other than MAC Antonio Lopez collection that I have budgeted for)

-Serums (I need to use up my other one first)

-Lip Scrub

-Hand Sanitizers/Pocket Bacs

-Emory boards

-nail tools / tweezers/ eyelash curlers/ makeup brushes....I do not need any more tools! 

-No stress-shopping/impulse shopping!!!

Originally Posted by LydiaNichole View Post

ALLOWED:

(...)

-Back 2 MAC lipstick (Going to be turning in a few empties in exchange for a lipstick freebie).

(...)

Nice list! Good luck with your low-buy, LydiaNichole.

I'm still thinking about allowing one B2M lipstick, too. I'm thinking it might help me curb my spending but then again... I really, really, really don't need more lipstick even if it's "free". @[email protected] Decisions, decisions... sigh. I suppose I'll keep all lip products (even B2M ones) on my not allowed list at least until October. 

Not allowed: Anything not received in a sub.

Exception: personal care items that I don't have stockpiled.

I did an inventory of sorts and it looks like I can successfully stay clean, shiny and primped until the end of the year, at least. I'll probably stay on a no-buy until December at least. The only exception I'll make is for Sephora It Kits and then I can only purchase those with something I am purchasing for others as gifts. I have plenty of everything. I was going to need shampoo, but I took advantage of the BB free shampoo deal and scored a couple of free ones (I bought tea and resubbed the second account (cancelling ipsy), so it doesn't count on my no buy).

Good luck girls! We can do it!

Guest ButterflyGrl

I need to do an inventory. Maybe a super OCD one on an Excel spreadsheet. Truthfully, I'm almost afraid to know how much stuff I have! LOL

This thread inspired me to do a little re-organizing/sorting last night and I tossed six things that weren't working for me or were old and going bad. Yay! I also picked out a couple of unopened body lotions to donate when the kids' school does their food and personal care products collection for the county community services agency. Win-Win. 

Guest ButterflyGrl
Originally Posted by page5 View Post

This thread inspired me to do a little re-organizing/sorting last night and I tossed six things that weren't working for me or were old and going bad. Yay! I also picked out a couple of unopened body lotions to donate when the kids' school does their food and personal care products collection for the county community services agency. Win-Win. 

Great idea! I am going to do this as well. The company I work for always adopts families for Christmas and we always include boxes of personal care and home supplies/food in with the gifts. I will start a box for that donation with some of my extra lotions etc.

Don't forget that a lot of these groups even more desperately need stuff year-round! People tend to save stuff to donate around the holidays, but shelters and crisis facilities are not seasonal services. In fact, most of them need things even more outside of the holidays because donations aren't typically as forthcoming the rest of the year.

Guest ButterflyGrl

Don't forget that a lot of these groups even more desperately need stuff year-round! People tend to save stuff to donate around the holidays, but shelters and crisis facilities are not seasonal services. In fact, most of them need things even more outside of the holidays because donations aren't typically as forthcoming the rest of the year.

That's a very good point. Once I get the stuff boxed up I will look into this. I know of a teen shelter in our area that might really appreciate some personal care items like that.

Originally Posted by ButterflyGrl View Post

I need to do an inventory. Maybe a super OCD one on an Excel spreadsheet. Truthfully, I'm almost afraid to know how much stuff I have! LOL

I inventoried mine last night, and I didn't realize how much I had. I kind of thought it, but seeing hard core numbers really proved I can't be buying like this permanently. I'm OK financially, but still I could use it on other bigger things like a trip, buy a big item or put it towards student loans. Also, I don't have the storage for much more. 

I'm going on a low buy for September. 

--I can only buy from Ulta's 21 Days of Beauty sale if it does go on this month, but I think it does. 

--Can buy a z palette. Been wanting another one for better storage and usage.

Otherwise low buy this month. My main problem is just buying too much makeup. 

Not allowed:

- Everything. I have too much everything. This is shameful

- Especially nail polish

Allowed:

- paying for Sephora flash

- getting samples from Sephora flash with $1 orders XD (but no more than $10!)

Goals:

- The new Google Nexus phone is going to come out (eeeh!) actually the Nexus 4 just was put on sale for $100 off -- so the news is coming soon! I paid full price ($550 u__u) for my phone and I've had it for 3 years so it's definitely time for an unlocked upgrade

- My computer is starting to freak out. This is especially bad because I work-work on my computer. As a graphic designer/web developer so. I actually need a functioning computer. That's at least $500+

- Save for a camera lens! I've impressively saved up $90 in Amazon gift cards so I can eventually get a camera lens for a super discount ^__^ Still trying to decide what I want...

- Save for a vacation. I've basically not had a proper break in like... more than a year.

How I'm doing/did:

- AHAHAHA even though I started the Aug No/Low buy thread, I dropped something like $125 last month with the Sephora sale, my Enchanted polish order, random splurges on BB.com and Marshall's... Sigh.

- I managed to avoid the Hautelook bags and a bunch of Julep sales... good riddance.

Guest ButterflyGrl
I inventoried mine last night, and I didn't realize how much I had. I kind of thought it, but seeing hard core numbers really proved I can't be buying like this permanently. I'm OK financially, but still I could use it on other bigger things like a trip, buy a big item or put it towards student loans. Also, I don't have the storage for much more.  I'm going on a low buy for September.  --I can only buy from Ulta's 21 Days of Beauty sale if it does go on this month, but I think it does.  --Can buy a z palette. Been wanting another one for better storage and usage. Otherwise low buy this month. My main problem is just buying too much makeup. 
Makeup is hard for me to pass up. There is always something newer or prettier or longer lasting or just something I didn't know existed or something I wanted at a sale price. But this is why I am only allowing purchase of replacement items if there is no other option in September. I want more, but I just flat out don't need it. I hope I can stay strong!!

I want flash (cry cry cry) but I KNOW I'm going to do a TON of tiny purchases and next thing you know I would've spent $100 on 100 of those shower caps and have 300 samples of god knows what. 0.0 I'm with you on the "everything" is not allowed front. I spent $12 on BB last month to get 2 shampoo deals and I ended up spending $20 on a purchase from a MUT member - 3 lip tars for $20 though! You all know i wanted 'em! WE GOT THIS! Solidarity !

Not allowed: - Everything. I have too much everything. This is shameful - Especially nail polish Allowed: - paying for Sephora flash - getting samples from Sephora flash with $1 orders XD (but no more than $10!)

Guest ButterflyGrl

I found myself looking at sephora's website on my lunch. Just habit. I can see I have a huge problem!!!

Originally Posted by usofjessamerica View Post

I want flash (cry cry cry) but I KNOW I'm going to do a TON of tiny purchases and next thing you know I would've spent $100 on 100 of those shower caps and have 300 samples of god knows what. 0.0

I'm with you on the "everything" is not allowed front. I spent $12 on BB last month to get 2 shampoo deals and I ended up spending $20 on a purchase from a MUT member - 3 lip tars for $20 though! You all know i wanted 'em!

WE GOT THIS! Solidarity !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post

Not allowed:

- Everything. I have too much everything. This is shameful

- Especially nail polish

Allowed:

- paying for Sephora flash

- getting samples from Sephora flash with $1 orders XD (but no more than $10!)

You can resell the samples you don't want on ebay to make a profit!! XD

What I really really need to do is clean up. I've moved....about 4 times in the last year (since June of last year). I'm not even joking. This is the first time all of my stuff and I have been in the same place since I graduated high school and went to college. My parents also moved so all my stuff is just SOMEWHERE in the house rather than coming back to a room. So I need to organize my clothes, rearrange my stuff, an hopefully figure out how much makeup I really have. Or at least have a system for it. Looks like those birchboxes are going to come in handy!

You can resell the samples you don't want on ebay to make a profit!! XD
Okay, this is what I *really* want to do with all of my random stuff (lots of stuff from Allure boxes I'll never use!), but I have problems getting bids or even views. This is clearly because I'm not using good terms for listings. Any advice on how to word listings? ETA: Another one of my goals is to empty The Bin (yes, both words are capitalized here). The Bin is a big clear Rubbermaid bin where all of my swap/sales items are kept. It *just* fits in one of the cubes in an IKEA shelving unit, and it's full. I should actually be selling stuff rather than swapping right now. I guess I'll work on getting all of that stuff listed on eBay this weekend.

Okay, this is what I *really* want to do with all of my random stuff (lots of stuff from Allure boxes I'll never use!), but I have problems getting bids or even views. This is clearly because I'm not using good terms for listings. Any advice on how to word listings?

most people selling large samplers usually list BIRCHBOX IPSY GLOSSYBOX JULEP SEPHORA in their titles. It'll at least attract views since it has the keyword. Just make sure to throw a few of those items in the box too.