September 2013 - No Buy/ Low Buy Support Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Sept is the month after my birthday, so I definitely need to pull the reins back after indulging myself last month.  My rules for the month are:

-NO falling for the temptation of the Ipsy discount codes. 

-In fact, NO online orders at all! - Sephora, Ulta, Birchbox, etc.  I'm hoarding my points, so BB shouldn't be too hard.

-I'm allowed 3 swaps this month (because it still costs $ to mail things!) from my subs:  Ipsy, BB (x2, only for the Sept Ruffian Polish, then I'm cancelling!), Goodies (free this month, then cancelling), and Bondi.  I was strong enough to cancel Starlooks for now, but I still should be getting my Birthday Box soon.

-I can only purchase items as replacements, but since my stash is so well built up, I really don't think I'll need anything.  Possibly some bubble bath for my kids.

Impulse Purchases:  I am so bad at wandering down the beauty aisle while grocery shopping.  So, I can purchase 3 beauty items this month, not totalling more than $10.  This includes nail polishes (I don't have many fall shades), hair accessories (i.e. pretty combs or hair ties), or nail tools, but NOT makeup or skincare.  

I'll probably have to come back and edit/update these goals, but I do need to start saving for the holiday purchases!  I already know I'll be picking up things like the Sephora It Kits and other awesome GWP's during Nov/Dec, so I'm trying to save up for those early on!

Good luck, ladies!

I think I did OK for my first low-buy!  I did slip up a few times, and realized that I just can't pass up an amazing deal!

Successes:

-Did not fall for the Ipsy codes!  The Butter London one was tempting, but I stayed strong!

-Did not resubscribe for Starlooks, and went through with cancelling Goodies AND my second Birchbox.

-Only did one swap, the circular one.  Got some great stuff!

Fails:

-I made two online orders at Sephora, but both of them were under $10 and had GREAT samples and an awesome GWP

-I slipped up at a Sally Beauty Supply 1/2 off Clearance sale and bought 14 polishes (WAY above the 3 I allowed!), but only spent $13

I'm updating my Oct Low-Buy rules for a dollar amount limit, not a specific # of items.  My main success this month was that I spent WAY less in Sept than I have in previous months!  That alone has kept my willpower up to do this again in October.  Best of luck, ladies!

I did well for the first time on a low/no buy. I bought no Ipsy code deals, although thr Butter London tempted me severely. I did make three Sephora orders though, but I started my Christmas shopping. I am not going to lie, I did cheat and add things for me in the cart, BUT when they arrived I boxed them back up and sent them the heck back! It was so hard, but I was committed. The Sephora part of my no/low buy was the hardest part for me and I realized through that how much I impulse order. I have decided that next month I will allow myself a certain amount of money I can spend on whatever I want and hopefully that will keep me in check. Overall I consider the month partially successful because I did cheat on those Christmas orders, but I am proud of myself for returning the items.

I had several slips this month :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Mostly nail polish, and those damn Hempz treats lotions I keep finding at TJ Maxx.

I went through my bank account and put all my beauty buying into a category and ran a report, I spent over $400 on beauty crap from August 1 through date, not even counting the things I've put on my credit cards.  It's so stupid and pointless and wasteful!!

Soooooooooo I am no buying through the end of the year.  I'm also going to have to stay off of MUT unfortunately, because it totally feeds the addiction.  I'm going to pop in to the no-buy threads every now and then, because they are so supportive and positive and I'm gonna need it!

Good job to all of you!!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by knightsgirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I had several slips this month :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />  Mostly nail polish, and those damn Hempz treats lotions I keep finding at TJ Maxx.

I went through my bank account and put all my beauty buying into a category and ran a report, I spent over $400 on beauty crap from August 1 through date, not even counting the things I've put on my credit cards.  It's so stupid and pointless and wasteful!!

Soooooooooo I am no buying through the end of the year.  I'm also going to have to stay off of MUT unfortunately, because it totally feeds the addiction.  I'm going to pop in to the no-buy threads every now and then, because they are so supportive and positive and I'm gonna need it!

I've had the same thought myself. I might have to come to MUT less in order to stop enabling myself. I see all the things other people buy and it makes me want to get it too. Almost like an alcoholic hanging out at a bar I guess. I don't think I have a full blown shopping addiction, but I am well on my way and I want to nip it in the bud before it gets worse. It will be a good experiment to see if I do better in October by coming here less and the new spending limit I set for myself.

Quote:Originally Posted by knightsgirl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Going through my bank account was the biggest eye opener for me, too! With christmas approaching, I'd rather give up my beauty products and help an angel tree kid have a good christmas. I'm in the same MuT boat -- I've stopped visiting so "frequently" and when I am here, it's mostly to check the no buy/low buy threads. I love MUT, but my wallet doesn't. My adult responsibilities outweigh my "beauty pleasures", so I'm doing what I have to do! I've definitely tried to stay way from the Ipsy and Sephora threads. a) I don't want to envy what I can't have this month because I cancelled and B) I need not hear about the discount codes!

Quote: Originally Posted by tnorth1852 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I had several slips this month
frown.gif
 Mostly nail polish, and those damn Hempz treats lotions I keep finding at TJ Maxx.

Going through my bank account was the biggest eye opener for me, too! With christmas approaching, I'd rather give up my beauty products and help an angel tree kid have a good christmas.

I'm in the same MuT boat -- I've stopped visiting so "frequently" and when I am here, it's mostly to check the no buy/low buy threads. I love MUT, but my wallet doesn't. My adult responsibilities outweigh my "beauty pleasures", so I'm doing what I have to do! I've definitely tried to stay way from the Ipsy and Sephora threads. a) I don't want to envy what I can't have this month because I cancelled and B) I need not hear about the discount codes! Agreed! That Sephora promo codes thread is a KILLER!

Going through my bank account was the biggest eye opener for me, too! With christmas approaching, I'd rather give up my beauty products and help an angel tree kid have a good christmas. I'm in the same MuT boat -- I've stopped visiting so "frequently" and when I am here, it's mostly to check the no buy/low buy threads. I love MUT, but my wallet doesn't. My adult responsibilities outweigh my "beauty pleasures", so I'm doing what I have to do! I've definitely tried to stay way from the Ipsy and Sephora threads. a) I don't want to envy what I can't have this month because I cancelled and B) I need not hear about the discount codes!
Sponsoring an Angel Tree child is an awesome idea! I think a lot of my discomfort with the amount of crap I have accumulated is the materialism involved. You've inspired me that anything on my trade list that isn't gone by 10/31 is going into goodie bags for the local women's shelter or just handed out as random acts of kindess!

I've had the same thought myself. I might have to come to MUT less in order to stop enabling myself. I see all the things other people buy and it makes me want to get it too. Almost like an alcoholic hanging out at a bar I guess. I don't think I have a full blown shopping addiction, but I am well on my way and I want to nip it in the bud before it gets worse. It will be a good experiment to see if I do better in October by coming here less and the new spending limit I set for myself.
It is totally the alcoholic in a bar lol! Even sometimes the confession/slip-up posts in the no-buy threads I'm like "oh good rationalization, I'll use that!" It's so funny because I'm so not a "monkey see monkey do" type, unless it comes to makeup!

Le sigh. I wrapped up the month with a new laptop. On the up side, I started thinking I needed one a year ago. Yesterday, it became clear that it was time. I have no tv or stereo, so no laptop = no music or movies, and that is a VERY BAD THING for me.

Well, I think I've done pretty well this month! I didn't go crazy spending-wise and stuck to my detailed list much better this month than the previous month where I wasn't as detailed with what I could/couldn't buy. I actually wound up not even getting a lot of the things on my "approved" list. I made a few small substitutions for things I wanted to trade off instead that we're similar in price. Overall, I'm pretty happy! Not going crazy with buying makeup let me allow myself to purchase things I actually needed. Yet, I didn't feel deprived because I allowed myself a few small things when I didn't get some others that were on my list.😊 I'm going to continue another low-buy next month.

It is totally the alcoholic in a bar lol! Even sometimes the confession/slip-up posts in the no-buy threads I'm like "oh good rationalization, I'll use that!"

It's so funny because I'm so not a "monkey see monkey do" type, unless it comes to makeup!

Yes! I totally have a monkey see attitude with makeup. It is like ohhhhh sparkly or SQUIRREL! and MUST HAVE SQUIRREL!

Yes! I totally have a monkey see attitude with makeup. It is like ohhhhh sparkly or SQUIRREL! and MUST HAVE SQUIRREL!
Hahaha love it!!!! This accurately describes me as well lol. 😂

Back