September 2013 - No Buy/ Low Buy Support Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by tnorth1852 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by ButterflyGrl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Agreed. I could have paid off other bills instead of buying things I really don't NEED, I just WANT! I am going to set myself a budget each month that I am allowed to buy something that I just WANT, but it will be a small amount, say 25.00 or maybe 50.00 for the whole month. If I don't spend it I can save it for the next month. Otherwise I can only buy replacement items. That way I can have something to "blow" when something pretty catches my eye and maybe it will keep me from losing my head completely, like I did last month!

Great minds!! That's my plan, too. I wanted to see what, on average, I've been spending per month. It's all been online, so it was easy to calculate. I'm going to do $25 a pay check, so $50 a month. That'll reduce what i was spending by over 3/4! I'm hoping that will help me satisfy the urge to buy pretties, but also allow me to get the rest of my "Average" back in my pocket!
I think I'm going to try 50.00 a month and if I am continually tempted to push the envelope I will revisit that. My 50.00 does not include replacement items or gifts, just my pretties.

Quote:Originally Posted by ButterflyGrl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think I'm going to try 50.00 a month and if I am continually tempted to push the envelope I will revisit that. My 50.00 does not include replacement items or gifts, just my pretties.

I like it!

Quote: Originally Posted by tnorth1852 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by ButterflyGrl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I like it!
Mind you...it will be about 999 years before I need a replacement for anything!  Although I could exaggerate a bit!

I'm thinking next year might be a subs-and-replacements-only year. And I don't mean replacing this shade of eyeliner/mascara. I mean shampoo/conditioner, bb cream (I only use one, so when I'm out, I don't have one in another shade/brand to fall back on), toothpaste, shower gel, and lotion, and they can only be replaced when I run out. I might allow $20 a month for essence trend edition fixes. I was going to allow whatever my overtime (it looks like i might end up working enough OT to bring in another $150/month) will fund, but I might push that money over to a comic com budget. I just need to use stuff up.

Quote: Originally Posted by eucala08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I inventoried mine last night, and I didn't realize how much I had. I kind of thought it, but seeing hard core numbers really proved I can't be buying like this permanently. I'm OK financially, but still I could use it on other bigger things like a trip, buy a big item or put it towards student loans. Also, I don't have the storage for much more. 

I'm going on a low buy for September. 

--I can only buy from Ulta's 21 Days of Beauty sale if it does go on this month, but I think it does. 

--Can buy a z palette. Been wanting another one for better storage and usage.

Otherwise low buy this month. My main problem is just buying too much makeup. 
Well, so far I haven't bought anything from Ulta's sale. I did buy 2 z-palettes. I depotted a lot of eyeshadow, but I did fall off my list of allowed items. I bought 3 nail polishes this month. I actually don't own a gross amount of nail polishes, so it wasn't like I was buying dupes of what I have already like I do eyeshadow sometimes. So, it hasn't been too bad of a month, and it's almost over.

Since I went back to school and work full time I haven't bought anything and I am having a huge craving/hankering lol... itch to buy something.

A) How do I suppress it?

B) Is there anything worth it to get right now?

C) How quickly do the Sephora Favorites sets sell out?

D) I have naked 1 and 2, as well as Lorac Pro, do you think with those kits I have enough matte shades?

Help.

Quote:Originally Posted by AmandaWarwick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Since I went back to school and work full time I haven't bought anything and I am having a huge craving/hankering lol... itch to buy something.

A) How do I suppress it?

D) I have naked 1 and 2, as well as Lorac Pro, do you think with those kits I have enough matte shades?

Help.

Last time I had an itch I couldn't shake, I cleaned out and organized my makeup drawers. It made me realize just how much I have (and how much I don't need), and I was able to throw out quite a few items that were either old, unused and untradeable, or completely empty!

Another related approach: Sort your makeup out into seasons. Put everything away except for your current month. Then sort that stuff out into what you will use *right now*. Put the rest aside as well. Now whenever you want to buy stuff, pull out your current-season-but-set-aside box and "shop" from your collection instead of a store. Also: Make a list of allowed items you can get when this urge hits you. It's kind of like when you're on a diet but build treats into your plan so you don't go on a junk food bender and just make things worse. I just picked up the UD Black Market set, for example, but that was on my shopping list, so it feels like I broke my no-buy, but I really didn't. Essence trend edition stuff is always acceptable for me in part because that line is really inexpensive but also because the TE lines tend to be small. Even if I get one of everything (which I never do), it's still going to be under thirty bucks. ETA: I think suppressing the urge is bad because it just festers. You just have to look at it as a pressure cooker and figure out how to let the steam out every once in a while so it doesn't explode and plaster the ceiling with green beans.

Quote:Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Another related approach: Sort your makeup out into seasons. Put everything away except for your current month. Then sort that stuff out into what you will use *right now*. Put the rest aside as well. Now whenever you want to buy stuff, pull out your current-season-but-set-aside box and "shop" from your collection instead of a store.

Also: Make a list of allowed items you can get when this urge hits you. It's kind of like when you're on a diet but build treats into your plan so you don't go on a junk food bender and just make things worse. I just picked up the UD Black Market set, for example, but that was on my shopping list, so it feels like I broke my no-buy, but I really didn't. Essence trend edition stuff is always acceptable for me in part because that line is really inexpensive but also because the TE lines tend to be small. Even if I get one of everything (which I never do), it's still going to be under thirty bucks.

ETA: I think suppressing the urge is bad because it just festers. You just have to look at it as a pressure cooker and figure out how to let the steam out every once in a while so it doesn't explode and plaster the ceiling with green beans.

I agree with the ETA statement!! Just like on a diet, as you mentioned, if I want pizza, I need to have that pizza in moderation. Because for me, it's better to have one slice (or two) and a salad instead of devouring a large pizza because i've deprived myself of it for so long! I just gave into the Balm and ordered a blush for myself and a primer (and two gifts). None of these items make me feel like I've fallen off the wagon as both of the (for me) items have been on my "I want to buy that list" for quite some time. I've wanted the blush since I received it in my birchbox, but I didn't want to pay full price and it wasn't part of the Hautelook sale... so I've patiently waited. I've also been on the hunt for a HG primer. Most travel sizes are $10-15, so buying a full size at the same cost was a no-brainer for me. The sum total for both of these was just a hair more than the cost of the blush alone. My patience paid off, and these things feel more like "allowed" rather than "falling off the wagon." I think next month I will make a SPECIFIC list of items that I can purchase. That should also help me keep within my new budget.

Woo! I didn't buy anything from the Balm sale - I was in a lecture. When I found out they were extending the time for the sale, I was too busy getting my butt kicked at spin class. Bring it on, October. Also: I did think about what I would buy if I was free to shop at that time. Answer = nothing. I soon realized I didn't want anything. Not bad!

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Another related approach: Sort your makeup out into seasons. Put everything away except for your current month. Then sort that stuff out into what you will use *right now*. Put the rest aside as well. Now whenever you want to buy stuff, pull out your current-season-but-set-aside box and "shop" from your collection instead of a store.

Also: Make a list of allowed items you can get when this urge hits you. It's kind of like when you're on a diet but build treats into your plan so you don't go on a junk food bender and just make things worse. I just picked up the UD Black Market set, for example, but that was on my shopping list, so it feels like I broke my no-buy, but I really didn't. Essence trend edition stuff is always acceptable for me in part because that line is really inexpensive but also because the TE lines tend to be small. Even if I get one of everything (which I never do), it's still going to be under thirty bucks.

ETA: I think suppressing the urge is bad because it just festers. You just have to look at it as a pressure cooker and figure out how to let the steam out every once in a while so it doesn't explode and plaster the ceiling with green beans.
I love this idea!

Day 7 of my no buy,  and I'm looking for giveaways and other ways to score free makeup.

Quote: Originally Posted by AmandaWarwick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A) How do I suppress it?

Help.

I know it's tough to suppress the urge, but think about any non-beauty related item you want to buy and set the money that you would spend on cosmetics aside. IMO, if you have the naked 1 & 2 and the Lorac Pro, you have enough matte shades.

Woah! I get bummed when I pay $40 for a scarf! haha! Oh, and Aveda Tourmaline stuff is my favorite!!

Done good for the past 2 days, but that's probably because my husband went shopping with me, and he's good about reminding about how much makeup I already have. Plus, I know that he will buy me makeup for the holidays, so I'm set.

Just participated in a perfume swap, so have had lots of stuff to keep me busy, and haven't bought anything! Feeling good about September, bring on October.

Since it's just two days away from October, recap!

My allowed list:

• One Sephora order, but only if there's a really good points perk (I have a feeling there won't be one, so I doubt I'll place this order).
  • One Fortune Cookie Soap order based on the scents in the Autumn box, to be placed in three weeks (two paydays from now), but no more than one of each type of item (so one shower gel, one jelly, one sugar scrub, etc.).
  • Small Starlooks order I've been planning to place for a few months but have been holding off on placing until I got a discount code, and now I have one:  Infinity in Immortal and Tendergloss in Beaux.
  • essence trend edition stuff (limit: $20).
  • Glamour Doll Eyes 6-month subscription, if I can get my paws on it!
  • GDE limited edition stuff, if it happens to be released (fingers crossed for Halloween stuff!).
  • Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab:  This one is hard.  Right now, I'll say a limit of twenty decants from the Halloweenie collection, although that may shift upwards depending on what ends up being released.  I need to dig through my collection and find my Weenie stash to compare what I have to whatever ends up being released (but if there are red musk or champaca single-notes, I do hereby grant myself permission to order full bottles of both!).

Banned list:

• Hair stuff unless it comes directly to me in one of my own subscription boxes.  No swapping for it, and no using Birchbox points for it.
  • Bath & Body Works stuff.  Period.  Not even a Halloween Wallflower refill or lipgloss.
  • Eyeliner (waiting for the holiday sets!)
  • Bath products aside from the one allowed FCS order.  I still haven't started using any of the _Once Upon a Time_ stuff I ordered, although that's because I have been using the stuff I ordered from the summer collection, so I *have* been working through this stuff (and I'm almost done with the Mango or Salsa jelly!)
  • GDE permanent collection stuff!  I'm crossing my fingers for a Halloween collection to hurl my money at instead.  I need to work through my sample jars and decide what to upgrade to full-sized jars anyway (and I'm far from running out of even the samples I already know I love).
  • Eye primer.  I keep putting this on my to-buy list, but I have a bunch of assorted samples from various sources, and I've been working on them for a few months, so I can definitely get through another month with what I have.
  • Mascara.  I don't think I've bought any in over twenty-five years, and I have something like nine unopened tubes thanks to subs/GWPs/etc., so I'm not really at any risk of buying this, but I'll put it on here anyway.
​

No Sephora order since there was no good points perk, although I did buy a couple of things in-store (more on that later).  I never quite got around to testing the FCS stuff, so I never quite got around to placing an order, either, although they have a Halloween collection coming out later this week, so I'll just hold off until then.  I also didn't get around to the Starlooks order, there wasn't a new essence trend edition, I didn't get the GDE subscription, there were no GDE LE things, and I didn't order any BPAL.

But...  I did get eyeliner.  On the other hand, the waiting-for-holiday-sets thing?  I got a holiday set, which was going to be on my list for October.  And I also picked up an emergency shimmery brown liner to keep in my desk at work for nights I go to happy hour after work, which I don't think should count against me here since.  And I got the Sephora Give Me More Lip set.  I did *not* need more lipstick, but I really, *really* wanted it, and there were several things that I would have bought, and there are several other things in there that kind of fill in gaps in my lipstick wardrobe, so I think it was a good decision.

(Sadly, I did not save any money because I went to a comic con last weekend and overshopped.  On the up side, I now have a copy of the first volume of _Grendel_ signed by Matt Wagner and _The Legend of Bold Riley_ signed by Leia Weathington!  On the down side, I now also want to go on shopping sprees at comic cons and buy books directly from the authors and artists so I can have signed copies!  I'm going to need a bigger shelf.)

September was such a good month for me. Because of this thread I realized that I spend way too much money on make up. In the beginning of this month i went through all of my make up and it almost made me sick. I have come to the realization that I almost have 20 high end foundations, 50 lipsticks etc. I need to use up products before I buy new ones. So I did a no buy this month and it went really wel. The first week was hard but after a few more weeks I don't even have the need to buy something anymore. I'm so happy I did it and I will definetely continuing this no buy in October. I almost saved 300€ this month because of not buying make up which is about 400 dollars. I hope everyone is gonna do well in October! (Sorry for my bad English, I'm from holland)

This was my goal for sept "I cannot buy anything beauty/makeup related until the Sephora sale in Nov. ( I dont NEED anything!!) I can keep my existing subs ( Birchbox, Eco Emi and Sample Society but need to drop one by Dec. ( I cant decide yet). I must continue to focus on getting through my ridiculous huge stash.. I can only acquire through trades ( but will also keep this to a minimum as I mentioned I dont NEED anything. Need to determine holy grail items and stick with them only...I need to always stop searching for something better.. # Overall I did pretty well I did buy one item (Prada candy perfume) but I bought it in the airport so it was 20% cheaper plus no tax. This is still a Huge improvement for me as I was spending hundreds a month . I used up a bunch of items this month ( full size and samples) and did not participate in any trades . I am keeping my same rules for oct however am aiming for 0 makeup/product purchases this month. Good luck everyone !!!!

Back