September 2013 - No Buy/ Low Buy Support Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by LydiaNichole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm starting to love the low-buy on makeup, because it's allowing me to purchase other things that I actually need that aren't cosmetic related! 

Yes! Whenever I'm tempted to buy stuff I know I shouldn't, I think of the trips I want to go on, or the other non-beauty items I want to buy. It helps a lot and works (well, at least 90% of the time!)

I've told myself I can't buy a new foundation until I use up my No7 foundation. Gah, there are so many foundations I want to try! also No new mascras until I use up my Maybelline one by one. No new face washes till I use up my Clinique one. 

I got a great nail polish in a trade.  Thought I might be able to dupe it from my stash, and got close, but not quite there.  Then purely by accident, tonight I was doing my nails and found a dupe for the color I was using AND a way to dupe the first polish from the trade, so now I have two nail polishes I can put on a trade list and make some room.  Hooray!

Day 6 of my no-buy, and I finished up an foundation that was almost done anyways. Even though I miss buying makeup, I am enjoying the extra money in my wallet. On another note, my boys destroyed 2 of my lipsticks and a lipgloss, but I didn't like the shades anyways.

I had a minor setback in my no buy. Walgreens has a program going where they get you to spend money in their store. Here's how it works...you go to the dr, the dr sends your RX over to Walgreens, when you get there, your RX isn't ready forcing you to wander around the store sick & disoriented going "oh, lookie, I don't have that shade of nail polish" and in your weakened & confused state at checkout you not only find yourself buying said RX, but also a bottle of nail polish, some nail stickers and three bags of candy. When you get home, you wonder what happened. Don't fall into the same trap I did!!!! Lol

Quote: Originally Posted by Pollysmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I had a minor setback in my no buy. Walgreens has a program going where they get you to spend money in their store. Here's how it works...you go to the dr, the dr sends your RX over to Walgreens, when you get there, your RX isn't ready forcing you to wander around the store sick & disoriented going "oh, lookie, I don't have that shade of nail polish" and in your weakened & confused state at checkout you not only find yourself buying said RX, but also a bottle of nail polish, some nail stickers and three bags of candy. When you get home, you wonder what happened. Don't fall into the same trap I did!!!! Lol

lol...it's a conspiracy! Walgreens is purposely holding off on filling your RX for that very reason. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Sorry you're sick though.

Quote:Originally Posted by ButterflyGrl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Day 24!

YAY!!! I fell off the wagon with my FFF box impulse sign up, but I've managed to reign myself back in. I've made a few purchases, but they've all been Christmas gifts. My goal is to finish my Christmas shopping by December 1 like I did last year. Really gave me the chance to sit back and enjoy the holidays! So, while I've only bought Christmas gifts, it still kind of makes me feel like I'm not being "good". *womp womp*. Mister and I made a deal. He's a *notorious* gas station-er. Like every day he wastes at least $5 buying drinks or something in a gas station. So, I'm going to go back through my bank account and "Average" my weekly spending on beauty products. So for two weeks (we're starting small, people) he's going to put $30/week into a jar and stay OUT of gas stations and I'm going to put in my "average two week beauty product money" in a jar -- and at the end.. we're going to either treat ourselves to a nice date, or new fall clothes -- or decide to save for something bigger. Either way, challenge accepted. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by tnorth1852 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Quote: Originally Posted by ButterflyGrl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Day 24!

YAY!!! I fell off the wagon with my FFF box impulse sign up, but I've managed to reign myself back in. I've made a few purchases, but they've all been Christmas gifts. My goal is to finish my Christmas shopping by December 1 like I did last year. Really gave me the chance to sit back and enjoy the holidays! So, while I've only bought Christmas gifts, it still kind of makes me feel like I'm not being "good". *womp womp*.

Mister and I made a deal. He's a *notorious* gas station-er. Like every day he wastes at least $5 buying drinks or something in a gas station. So, I'm going to go back through my bank account and "Average" my weekly spending on beauty products. So for two weeks (we're starting small, people) he's going to put $30/week into a jar and stay OUT of gas stations and I'm going to put in my "average two week beauty product money" in a jar -- and at the end.. we're going to either treat ourselves to a nice date, or new fall clothes -- or decide to save for something bigger. Either way, challenge accepted.
smile.gif

Same here...I've had a couple of Sephora orders, but they were for Christmas gifts. I agree though, it makes me feel guilty that I am making the purchase in the first place. BUT I am on the road to my goal of done by Thanksgiving. I'm starting a list of things to look for for my mom and I'm going to try to do as much of it online as I can. I don't mind if the online stuff is done after Thanksgiving because I get the best prices then anyway. It is just the crowds that I really dislike.

That sounds like a fun challenge! Times like that I miss having a husband...other times not so much! LOL

Same here...I've had a couple of Sephora orders, but they were for Christmas gifts. I agree though, it makes me feel guilty that I am making the purchase in the first place. BUT I am on the road to my goal of done by Thanksgiving. I'm starting a list of things to look for for my mom and I'm going to try to do as much of it online as I can. I don't mind if the online stuff is done after Thanksgiving because I get the best prices then anyway. It is just the crowds that I really dislike.

That sounds like a fun challenge! Times like that I miss having a husband...other times not so much! LOL

During football season it's kind of like I don't have a mister... haha! Online shopping has spoiled me when it comes to christmas shopping, that's for sure!

During football season it's kind of like I don't have a mister... haha! Online shopping has spoiled me when it comes to christmas shopping, that's for sure!
Ah yes I remember it well! LOL

I purchased a great number of my gifts last year online and I loved it! I am a total Amazon junkie. I think the UPS man thinks I'm running some kind of business out of my home with all the Amazon boxes that come regularly. I get things for my dog's allergies on Amazon and my energy bars and our toilet paper (subscribe and save) and and and!

Quote: Originally Posted by LydiaNichole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Tonight I did a little shopping for things that were on my list: cotton facial ovals for taking off makeup, deoderant, toothpaste, mouthwash, a replacement mascara for the one I used up (was so good and didn't even look at the rest of the makeup!), Ball Mason Jars to can foods with...

And my favorite purchase, ever:

Kitchenaid Stand Mixer to make my own Gluten Free breads, pastas, etc with!  I have been saving several years for this, and was so excited that I was finally able to get one! Since I budgeted and didn't go crazy with makeup this month, the total of the cash I was setting aside reached exactly what I needed to bring this little gem and even an attachment home! So excited to try it out!! I'm also excited I no longer have to pay crazy prices for GF pastas and breads, when I can make my own from home with more natural ingredients! The mixer will also save my wrists since they have nerve damage. This is quite possibly one of the best purchases I've ever saved up for!  
yey.gif

I'm starting to love the low-buy on makeup, because it's allowing me to purchase other things that I actually need that aren't cosmetic related! 
I completely agree!  I bought one Sephora set this month for my birthday - I was able to use the other funds to buy clothes and go on a trip!

i really want to place a $1 sephora order so I could use the kat von d code. someone also pointed out that you can re-add a birthday gift and i really want another mini of they're real. But, since I dont have flash I'm going to end up spending like $7...which isn't bad..I just feel dumb paying $7 for a bunch of samples especially since I absolutely hate paying for shipping!

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  i really want to place a $1 sephora order so I could use the kat von d code. someone also pointed out that you can re-add a birthday gift and i really want another mini of they're real. But, since I dont have flash I'm going to end up spending like $7...which isn't bad..I just feel dumb paying $7 for a bunch of samples especially since I absolutely hate paying for shipping!

Paying for shipping anywhere always irks the heck out of me!

welp i officially fell off the wagon u___u I got the Cinderella eyeshadow palette (hopefully it'll go through!) but my justification is that I'm going to be a terrible person and resell it on ebay and also because it's going towards making VIB so I'm technically getting it better on all ends. But sigh. I spent possibly about ~$15 trading this month which isn't bad because I got rid of a bunch of stuff I was never going to use so that's not too bad. Plus I'm getting a BUNCH of stuff I wanted to try before putting actualy $$$ on the line.

But still. $55 :C At least I avoided my HG perfume on sale at Costco for like 60% off

So one of the things I realized is that I have a really strange sense of what I value. I spend like $100 on makeup and I'm like "it is how it is". I spend $100 on clothing (which I really need btw because I'm way overdue for a wardrobe rehaul and need to look like an Adult Person) and I'm like DD: SO EXPENSIVE!! Why, self, why. 

also I was like "oh i want to try Sample Society next month because one of the items will be a BL polish so it's like getting the rest of the samples free"! but then I talked myself out of it. Also, GB's curation next month is making me excited so I'm probably going to sell out for it. At least with whatever discounts I can trump up and ebates, I can probably get it for like $15... but then I was thinking about going back and picking up the $50 perfume next month because it'll be a new month but then I wanted the Dance Legend chromes Llarowe was going to stock to review for my blog then Bondi is having an awesome promo and wow before I know it, that's going to be like $150 D: I read a sort of inspirational article yesterday and I kind of really want to pay off all my student loans as fast as I could, which $150 would go quite a bit towards. Self-discipline what is that

I just went through and did a Year-to-Date history of my bank account. I categorized, sorted, and did a monthly average of my categories (yes, I'm that nerdy). Moral of the story, I don't think sticking to a low buy is going to be as hard. When you step back to really look at the totality of the spending (not just $10 here, $20 there, but HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS+ of dollars) it really puts into perspective what i COULD HAVE HAD with that money. What was also very interesting to me was the drastic spike in my spending after having found subscription boxes (and MUT) in April. That $10 sub box costs FARRRR more than a measly $10, that's for sure.

I just went through and did a Year-to-Date history of my bank account. I categorized, sorted, and did a monthly average of my categories (yes, I'm that nerdy). Moral of the story, I don't think sticking to a low buy is going to be as hard. When you step back to really look at the totality of the spending (not just $10 here, $20 there, but HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS+ of dollars) it really puts into perspective what i COULD HAVE HAD with that money. What was also very interesting to me was the drastic spike in my spending after having found subscription boxes (and MUT) in April. That $10 sub box costs FARRRR more than a measly $10, that's for sure.

Sad but true. I have spent far more since finding subscription boxes and yes, MUT as well. I just find out about so much more here than I did on my own! Having said that I am not prepared to give up either. I just need to practice more self control. WAY more self control!

Sad but true. I have spent far more since finding subscription boxes and yes, MUT as well. I just find out about so much more here than I did on my own! Having said that I am not prepared to give up either. I just need to practice more self control. WAY more self control!

I'm no quitter, either. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> It'll just make it alot easier when I ask myself "do you really NEED that". I think it'll also help me stop being so impulsive. Because $5, $10, $20 isn't much at the time.... but when you add it all up.... I could have that bedroom furniture I'm eyeballing.... sad.

I'm no quitter, either. :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> It'll just make it alot easier when I ask myself "do you really NEED that". I think it'll also help me stop being so impulsive. Because $5, $10, $20 isn't much at the time.... but when you add it all up.... I could have that bedroom furniture I'm eyeballing.... sad.
Agreed. I could have paid off other bills instead of buying things I really don't NEED, I just WANT! I am going to set myself a budget each month that I am allowed to buy something that I just WANT, but it will be a small amount, say 25.00 or maybe 50.00 for the whole month. If I don't spend it I can save it for the next month. Otherwise I can only buy replacement items. That way I can have something to "blow" when something pretty catches my eye and maybe it will keep me from losing my head completely, like I did last month!

Agreed. I could have paid off other bills instead of buying things I really don't NEED, I just WANT! I am going to set myself a budget each month that I am allowed to buy something that I just WANT, but it will be a small amount, say 25.00 or maybe 50.00 for the whole month. If I don't spend it I can save it for the next month. Otherwise I can only buy replacement items. That way I can have something to "blow" when something pretty catches my eye and maybe it will keep me from losing my head completely, like I did last month!

Great minds!! That's my plan, too. I wanted to see what, on average, I've been spending per month. It's all been online, so it was easy to calculate. I'm going to do $25 a pay check, so $50 a month. That'll reduce what i was spending by over 3/4! I'm hoping that will help me satisfy the urge to buy pretties, but also allow me to get the rest of my "Average" back in my pocket!

Back