September 2013 - No Buy/ Low Buy Support Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by elfbarbie07 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh my goodness, yesterday I was so tempted. At Walmart they had a random Maybelline Color Tattoo from the summer collection! I never saw these in store, even when they were out for sale, and there was Precious Pearl just laying there!!! I managed to resist, but I wanted it so bad, especially because it is really hard to find.

Good job! You were very strong. That would be very tempting, especially in person like that!

Be strong Walk away from the  Sephora site . Im so on the fence about  Ipsy. I have all the basics I need. What more  could  they  give me.....  Unicorns, glittery dancing  monkeys? That's  what  Im scared that  I  will miss if  i drop my sub or be put on the wait list again.
Make a list of all of the reasons you want to unsubscribe. Just a list of cons. Then cancel. Then if you want to resubscribe, pull out that list and read it over to remember why you bailed in the first place. Whenever I think I want to resubscribe to Glossybox, I reread the January thread. Hell, actually, I just pull out the tarte lipstick I received in that box to remember. I love the lipstick, but it was not worth the frustration I went through in order to get it. You might get something amazing in December, but that will mean suffering through October and November first. Is it *really* worth it? My answer: No.

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Make a list of all of the reasons you want to unsubscribe. Just a list of cons. Then cancel. Then if you want to resubscribe, pull out that list and read it over to remember why you bailed in the first place. Whenever I think I want to resubscribe to Glossybox, I reread the January thread. Hell, actually, I just pull out the tarte lipstick I received in that box to remember. I love the lipstick, but it was not worth the frustration I went through in order to get it. You might get something amazing in December, but that will mean suffering through October and November first. Is it *really* worth it? My answer: No.

Well said!

I'm feeling kind of blue... looking at my stash, and just feeling bad that I bought so many things over the past 6 months, and how there's no way I'll be able to finish or even just get good usage out of all of them before they expire. Like, I have at least 3 full-size mascaras and a few deluxe mascara samples that'll probably never get used up before they expire and get dried out (I go through mascara super slowly).

Alas at least this blue feeling helps me NOT buy anything new 
smile.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by casualconcern /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm feeling kind of blue... looking at my stash, and just feeling bad that I bought so many things over the past 6 months, and how there's no way I'll be able to finish or even just get good usage out of all of them before they expire. Like, I have at least 3 full-size mascaras and a few deluxe mascara samples that'll probably never get used up before they expire and get dried out (I go through mascara super slowly).

Alas at least this blue feeling helps me NOT buy anything new 
smile.gif

Don't beat yourself up for the past :)   This is a great learning experience and I know for me, it has helped me to stop the impulse buying and to really consider if I will use the item in a reasonable amount of time or if I just wanted it because it was pretty or on sale, etc.    I saw the most adorable eyeshadow quad on deep discount and I wanted it *bad* but I left it at the store because I have lots of eyeshadow and couldn't justify adding more to what I already have. If it had been full price I wouldn't have thought twice about buying it which is how I knew I didn't *need* it, I just wanted it for the deal (and it was pretty!). 

Quote: Originally Posted by page5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Don't beat yourself up for the past :)   This is a great learning experience and I know for me, it has helped me to stop the impulse buying and to really consider if I will use the item in a reasonable amount of time or if I just wanted it because it was pretty or on sale, etc.   I saw the most adorable eyeshadow quad on deep discount and I wanted it *bad* but I left it at the store because I have lots of eyeshadow and couldn't justify adding more to what I already have. If it had been full price I wouldn't have thought twice about buying it which is how I knew I didn't *need* it, I just wanted it for the deal (and it was pretty!).

Those pretty deals are really hard to resist! Good job for leaving the store without the quad! You're doing great!

I was originally going to just do my no-buy for the month of September, but I decided to do a no-buy for the rest of this year. I realized today that there are other things I need to focus on, like paying off some of my debt, improving my credit score.  Plus, since I have been doing this no-buy, I have been forced to play with my current stash and have realized that I love my current stash and wish not to add to it. Besides, I'm running out of room in my makeup storage, and I really do not feel like buying any more containers.

Quote: Originally Posted by nin5in /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I was originally going to just do my no-buy for the month of September, but I decided to do a no-buy for the rest of this year. I realized today that there are other things I need to focus on, like paying off some of my debt, improving my credit score.  Plus, since I have been doing this no-buy, I have been forced to play with my current stash and have realized that I love my current stash and wish not to add to it. Besides, I'm running out of room in my makeup storage, and I really do not feel like buying any more containers.

Those are all good points. I have not decided what I will do for the rest of the  year. At the very least I am going to do a low buy because I do need to buy some Christmas items. This month is my first no buy and it has been very hard, but I'm still hanging in there. I can't say I haven't been tempted and I can't say I haven't almost caved. Today in particular has been bad for some reason, but I keep walking away.

I think it really helps to look at your stash and organize it or inventory it because it really does bring the point home that you have enough. I know I have been working on my inventory. I work on it in times of particular temptation (will be working on it tonight) and it really makes me see I don't need more at all!

I am doing good with my no buy so far, I haven't bought anything this month. And I accomplished one of my goals, I got the basement cleaned up enough to get to my stash. I was able to bring up some things that needed to be replaced, like a body wash and some deodorant. I also used up a few things, so I'll just keep plugging along.

Quote: Originally Posted by Pollysmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am doing good with my no buy so far, I haven't bought anything this month. And I accomplished one of my goals, I got the basement cleaned up enough to get to my stash. I was able to bring up some things that needed to be replaced, like a body wash and some deodorant. I also used up a few things, so I'll just keep plugging along.

Good for you! Keep it up!

I cancelled ipsy!!!!!!!!! Sadly, I caved under pressure. I signed up for the fabfitfun box. More than I normally pay for a box, but I can't buy that scarf for the price of the box. I feel like I should have my hand smacked. Guilt is going to be snuggling with me in bed tonight. :'(

Quote: Originally Posted by tnorth1852 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I cancelled ipsy!!!!!!!!!

Sadly, I caved under pressure. I signed up for the fabfitfun box. More than I normally pay for a box, but I can't buy that scarf for the price of the box. I feel like I should have my hand smacked. Guilt is going to be snuggling with me in bed tonight. :'(

I came very close to subscribing because of that scarf and to re-subbing to Sample Society because of the spoiler that I believe was just released today.  But I have plenty of scarves, and that one isn't even my style!  And I have plenty of the spoiler item, and I'm going through an indie polish phase, *and* I have a comic con to go to this weekend, *and* my laptop wants to be replaced (while a computer is a luxury and non-necessity to a lot of people, due to my lifestyle and hobbies, it is my A-Number-One gotta-have item), so I will just turn my money and attention elsewhere.

I subbed PS hoping for a scarf after the last one, no such luck. So when I saw this one as a guarantee in a FFF box, I jumped. Definitely a one time gig for me, though. I will cancel as soon as I get the box. Stickin' to old faithful (BB) from this point forward. Still peeved at myself. :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Quote: Originally Posted by katcole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Be strong Walk away from the  Sephora site

. Im so on the fence about  Ipsy. I have all the basics I need. What more  could  they  give me.....  Unicorns, glittery dancing  monkeys? That's  what  Im scared that  I  will miss if  i drop my sub or be put on the wait list again.

$10 for a unicorn?  DEAL!  (I keep holding onto my Ipsy sub in hopes of The Balm... so many promises, Ipsy!)

I did have to do a mini-brag - it's not makeup-related, but my low-buy this month is actually helping me in other areas!  I went to Kohl's today - that store is my WEAKNESS!  I will only buy from their clearance/mega-sale sections, and I usually have a coupon.  But today, I walked out again without buying a single thing!  So proud of myself right now!  
smilehappyyes.gif

I've been pretty darn well behaved so far this month! Super proud of myself because I didn't think I'd make it this far into the month without breaking the rules of my low-buy. I haven't even been buying the items on my allowed list, and skipped the MAC  Antonio Lopez collection I've been lusting after for sheer lack of the ability to roam the mall right now. 

(Probably the ONLY reason I've been so well behaved has something to do with me being sick and having some unexpected medical bills this months, but still...IT COUNTS! I even went to Target at one point and bought NO makeup...none...it felt so wrong lol. 
roflmao.gif

I had a rough start, but holding strong for about a week. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I almost subbed to Sample Society when I saw the spoiler. I was trying to justify it since I cancelled Ipsy, but I reminded myself the reason that I cancelled in the first place. I have enough.

I canceled both my Julep and birchbox subscriptions. I'd been skipping Julep for the last 6 months and I just havent been excited birchbox lately. I did cash out on my birchbox account points and used a 25% off promo code so I ind of broke my no buy but I spent $2.46 on 7 items and the promo code was going to expire at the end of the month so I feel like that makes it ok

So proud of everyone who's canceled a sub! Good job! 
claps.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by ButterflyGrl /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  September 19th ladies...let's finish strong!

Can't believe it's already September 19th - only 11 days left! Stay strong everybody!

Latest posts

Back