September 2013 - No Buy/ Low Buy Support Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i just paid $130 in parking tickets then i had to buy a $345 parking pass for school (thats just for one semester). Adios make up! and eating out..and generally having a life :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

How are  Avon nail polishs btw?

I canceled my one and only  sub,Ipsy. I did  buy  2 cheap nail polishes and some fake nails all under 5 bucks, so meh i guess I shouldn't have but I dont want to hurt  the economy by not  buying something  this week lol Oh and hair dye  but that is a must have lol

Mid-month recap!  I'll put the original list behind a spoiler for space.
Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  My allowed list:

• One Sephora order, but only if there's a really good points perk (I have a feeling there won't be one, so I doubt I'll place this order).
  • One Fortune Cookie Soap order based on the scents in the Autumn box, to be placed in three weeks (two paydays from now), but no more than one of each type of item (so one shower gel, one jelly, one sugar scrub, etc.).
  • Small Starlooks order I've been planning to place for a few months but have been holding off on placing until I got a discount code, and now I have one:  Infinity in Immortal and Tendergloss in Beaux.
  • essence trend edition stuff (limit: $20).
  • Glamour Doll Eyes 6-month subscription, if I can get my paws on it!
  • GDE limited edition stuff, if it happens to be released (fingers crossed for Halloween stuff!).
  • Black Phoenix Alchemy Lab:  This one is hard.  Right now, I'll say a limit of twenty decants from the Halloweenie collection, although that may shift upwards depending on what ends up being released.  I need to dig through my collection and find my Weenie stash to compare what I have to whatever ends up being released (but if there are red musk or champaca single-notes, I do hereby grant myself permission to order full bottles of both!).

Banned list:

• Hair stuff unless it comes directly to me in one of my own subscription boxes.  No swapping for it, and no using Birchbox points for it.
  • Bath & Body Works stuff.  Period.  Not even a Halloween Wallflower refill or lipgloss.
  • Eyeliner (waiting for the holiday sets!)
  • Bath products aside from the one allowed FCS order.  I still haven't started using any of the _Once Upon a Time_ stuff I ordered, although that's because I have been using the stuff I ordered from the summer collection, so I *have* been working through this stuff (and I'm almost done with the Mango or Salsa jelly!)
  • GDE permanent collection stuff!  I'm crossing my fingers for a Halloween collection to hurl my money at instead.  I need to work through my sample jars and decide what to upgrade to full-sized jars anyway (and I'm far from running out of even the samples I already know I love).
  • Eye primer.  I keep putting this on my to-buy list, but I have a bunch of assorted samples from various sources, and I've been working on them for a few months, so I can definitely get through another month with what I have.
  • Mascara.  I don't think I've bought any in over twenty-five years, and I have something like nine unopened tubes thanks to subs/GWPs/etc., so I'm not really at any risk of buying this, but I'll put it on here anyway.

I think that's a good start.  This plan may be refined as the week progresses.  I still have six days to carve my September rules in stone!

I still haven't tested my Fortune Cookie Soapbox scents, so that order will be pushed out to October.  The Sephora perks have been blah, so I haven't ordered anything.  I do have a sizable shopping list there that consists entirely of holiday sets, but I want to swatch them before I buy them, and they're not out yet.  I actually flat-out *forgot* to place the Starlooks order when I had been planning on placing it last week, so I'm just going to take that off the allowed list.  Essence trend edition stuff:  I got everything I wanted from the last TE last month, and it doesn't look like the next one is going to have anything I want.  I didn't manage to get the 6-month GDE sub, and Halloween stuff hasn't bee released yet.  I've been lazy about ordering BPAL decants, and I'm actually thinking I'll just stick with the Pumpkin Patch bottles and call it good (unless Boo is released with the Miskatonic Philharmonic, in which case I'll get that as well), but I won't be placing that order for three weeks due to budgeting issues, so that's not a September purchase, either.  

Huh.  I have somehow managed to move most of my Allowed list to a Maybe-Next-Month-But-Probably-Not-Even-Then list.  I think I might work on my October Allowed list now.  I have this weird tendency to change my mind about getting things when they sit on my shopping list for several weeks.

I still haven't tested my Fortune Cookie Soapbox scents, so that order will be pushed out to October.  The Sephora perks have been blah, so I haven't ordered anything.  I do have a sizable shopping list there that consists entirely of holiday sets, but I want to swatch them before I buy them, and they're not out yet.  I actually flat-out *forgot* to place the Starlooks order when I had been planning on placing it last week, so I'm just going to take that off the allowed list.  Essence trend edition stuff:  I got everything I wanted from the last TE last month, and it doesn't look like the next one is going to have anything I want.  I didn't manage to get the 6-month GDE sub, and Halloween stuff hasn't bee released yet.  I've been lazy about ordering BPAL decants, and I'm actually thinking I'll just stick with the Pumpkin Patch bottles and call it good (unless Boo is released with the Miskatonic Philharmonic, in which case I'll get that as well), but I won't be placing that order for three weeks due to budgeting issues, so that's not a September purchase, either.   Huh.  I have somehow managed to move most of my Allowed list to a Maybe-Next-Month-But-Probably-Not-Even-Then list.  I think I might work on my October Allowed list now.  I have this weird tendency to change my mind about getting things when they sit on my shopping list for several weeks.
Wow! You've done awesome!

I'm currently kind of conflicted and I'm on a low buy for this month.  I really want a couple of things from this holiday collection BUT I feel like I could use the money on the things I'm running out of instead.  However, with that being said, I've also done really well and haven't bought a single item for this whole entire month (and last month) and have finished at least 5 items (between Aug and Sept as well). 

Any suggestions on what you would do??  I'd like to hear opinions.

Ugh.  Total failure today.  They were great buys, and I only spent $13, but still... not part of my low-buy, for sure!  Posting details in the confessionals thread in a minute, to avoid temptation.  
icon_redface.gif

Bad Leigh.  Bad, bad Leigh!  Back on the wagon for tomorrow!

Quote: Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Ugh.  Total failure today.  They were great buys, and I only spent $13, but still... not part of my low-buy, for sure!  Posting details in the confessionals thread in a minute, to avoid temptation.  
icon_redface.gif

Bad Leigh.  Bad, bad Leigh!  Back on the wagon for tomorrow!

Chin up....tomorrow is another day, Scarlett!

Quote: Originally Posted by debs15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  I'm currently kind of conflicted and I'm on a low buy for this month.  I really want a couple of things from this holiday collection BUT I feel like I could use the money on the things I'm running out of instead.  However, with that being said, I've also done really well and haven't bought a single item for this whole entire month (and last month) and have finished at least 5 items (between Aug and Sept as well).

Any suggestions on what you would do??  I'd like to hear opinions.
Wow, that's a tough one. I think I would be included to wait 10 more days for the month to end and if they are still in stock then it is meant to be. If not, then you can always buy the things you're running out of. I think that is what I would do, however, I have only been on a no buy this month, not for two months.

Wow, that's a tough one. I think I would be included to wait 10 more days for the month to end and if they are still in stock then it is meant to be. If not, then you can always buy the things you're running out of. I think that is what I would do, however, I have only been on a no buy this month, not for two months.
This would be my suggestion, too! I caved once and have felt guilty about it ever since! Set a time frame to wait, [ie until 25 September or 1 October, whatever is right for you] and give yourself time to really consider whether you NEED the items or if you want them. If you want them, then ask yourself if there's something you want more. For me... My "I want this more than makeup" is new furniture. Good luck!

Quote: Originally Posted by ultajunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Are you on an absolute no buy for the month or a low buy for the month Amanda? I ask because I picked the SK jewel of an eye palette a few weeks ago and the couple times I have used it I definitely do love it. I don't want to enable you but I feel for the person who likes to wear jewel tone colors this palette is really gorgeous and unique and I sadly sat down and counted my palettes last night and I have over a hundred of them if you also count trio and quad palettes. So it is worth the money however, even though it is LE it could be around for the entire fall so maybe hold off until October to see if it is something that you HAVE to have?Just one makeup junkie's thoughts 
w00t.gif

Ultajunkie,

I don't have any "strict" rules on my buy this month. I have been doing amazing through, way better than I could have expected. I went back to full time graduate school and full time work so I think being so busy may be helping me to not feel temptation. I was getting a coffee in the Ulta promenade where there is a coffee shop and I didn't even go in and definitely thought to myself, Amanda you have nicer face primers than Too Faced, primed and poreless. That being said I really like too faced.

Overall, I'm just not feeling a huge urge to buy anything.

I was really really really tempted by SK jewel of an eye-palette. When I looked at it in the store it looked/swatches super black. With lots of black undertones.

I did so good today! While the mister watched football, me and the small guy (much to dad's disapproval haha) organized the makeup drawers! I moved quite a few swatched items to the trade list box, and I found quite a few empty products just breathing air and takin' up space! Definitely reminds me that I need zero makeup.

Empties!!
Yay! Organized!

Quote: Originally Posted by tnorth1852 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I did so good today! While the mister watched football, me and the small guy (much to dad's disapproval haha) organized the makeup drawers! I moved quite a few swatched items to the trade list box, and I found quite a few empty products just breathing air and takin' up space! Definitely reminds me that I need zero makeup. Empties!!

Yay! Organized!

Great job with the organization! 

Alright, so... I slipped up a bit, got a little excited and made a $40 nail polish purchase. However since 1) these polishes have been on my "want" list for the longest time and 2) I have not purchased ANY of my initial "allowables" this month (a Sephora order with a strict budget amount, 2 Lush bubble bars, and one Julep box is what I decided on for my b-day) and don't plan on purchasing my allowables anymore, I feel okay about it.

Definitely going to do another no or low buy next month, this has been a great eye opening experience to how much money I *usually* spend without even realizing it!

I did so good today! While the mister watched football, me and the small guy (much to dad's disapproval haha) organized the makeup drawers! I moved quite a few swatched items to the trade list box, and I found quite a few empty products just breathing air and takin' up space! Definitely reminds me that I need zero makeup.
Empties!!
Yay! Organized!

Yay! You're doing so great! And I LOVE to see pics of makeup organization/storage! So inspiring!

Tonight I did a little shopping for things that were on my list: cotton facial ovals for taking off makeup, deoderant, toothpaste, mouthwash, a replacement mascara for the one I used up (was so good and didn't even look at the rest of the makeup!), Ball Mason Jars to can foods with...

And my favorite purchase, ever:

Kitchenaid Stand Mixer to make my own Gluten Free breads, pastas, etc with!  I have been saving several years for this, and was so excited that I was finally able to get one! Since I budgeted and didn't go crazy with makeup this month, the total of the cash I was setting aside reached exactly what I needed to bring this little gem and even an attachment home! So excited to try it out!! I'm also excited I no longer have to pay crazy prices for GF pastas and breads, when I can make my own from home with more natural ingredients! The mixer will also save my wrists since they have nerve damage. This is quite possibly one of the best purchases I've ever saved up for!  
yey.gif

I'm starting to love the low-buy on makeup, because it's allowing me to purchase other things that I actually need that aren't cosmetic related! 

Tonight I did a little shopping for things that were on my list: cotton facial ovals for taking off makeup, deoderant, toothpaste, mouthwash, a replacement mascara for the one I used up (was so good and didn't even look at the rest of the makeup!), Ball Mason Jars to can foods with... And my favorite purchase, ever: Kitchenaid Stand Mixer to make my own Gluten Free breads, pastas, etc with!  I have been saving several years for this, and was so excited that I was finally able to get one! Since I budgeted and didn't go crazy with makeup this month, the total of the cash I was setting aside reached exactly what I needed to bring this little gem and even an attachment home! So excited to try it out!! I'm also excited I no longer have to pay crazy prices for GF pastas and breads, when I can make my own from home with more natural ingredients! The mixer will also save my wrists since they have nerve damage. This is quite possibly one of the best purchases I've ever saved up for!  :yey:   I'm starting to love the low-buy on makeup, because it's allowing me to purchase other things that I actually need that aren't cosmetic related! 
That's so awesome!! Congrats on your new purchase!

Quote: Originally Posted by LydiaNichole /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Tonight I did a little shopping for things that were on my list: cotton facial ovals for taking off makeup, deoderant, toothpaste, mouthwash, a replacement mascara for the one I used up (was so good and didn't even look at the rest of the makeup!), Ball Mason Jars to can foods with...

And my favorite purchase, ever:

Kitchenaid Stand Mixer to make my own Gluten Free breads, pastas, etc with!  I have been saving several years for this, and was so excited that I was finally able to get one! Since I budgeted and didn't go crazy with makeup this month, the total of the cash I was setting aside reached exactly what I needed to bring this little gem and even an attachment home! So excited to try it out!! I'm also excited I no longer have to pay crazy prices for GF pastas and breads, when I can make my own from home with more natural ingredients! The mixer will also save my wrists since they have nerve damage. This is quite possibly one of the best purchases I've ever saved up for!  
yey.gif

I'm starting to love the low-buy on makeup, because it's allowing me to purchase other things that I actually need that aren't cosmetic related! 

Congrats on your purchase! When I buy my first home someday, that's one of the first things that I am going to buy.

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*jumps up and down and screams angrily*

I was just at Costco and saw Tom Ford Black Orchid on sale for $50. Not the 1oz version either, which is $70 at Sephora. The 1.7oz version which sephora retails for $110. I've never ever ever seen Tom Ford on sale for cheaper before and this is the first time I've seen out outside of sephora/a department store/online discount merchants. Even on fragrancenet it's $88 for the 1.7oz version

I'M SO MAD. I bought the 1oz version at full price during a 3x point event earlier this year. It's honestly like my favourite perfume ever so I would definitely have used up a whole 30mL bottle and then another 50mL one. I actually grabbed it and put it on down to buy but then I realised there was a bunch so it was likely they would be able to get more, and if they showed up at Costco it was likely TF was loosening the overstock distribution of the product. I haven't actually used mine that many times since i bought it since it's very much a fall/winter (esp winter) scent and very heavy for spring/summer.

Anyway, I didn't get it so pat me on the back. LOL. I just justified it to myself as part of the price I need to get to VIB (which I haven't reached yet still) so now I'll know. $50 is cheap for Black Orchid, but I justified it to myself by saying I can try other perfumes i've been intrigued by: Folle de Joie, Juilette Has a Gun, Harvey Prince, decant of TF Tobacco Vanille. I could probably pick up samplers of all those perfumes one way or another for $50 so. I decided to behave myself.

plus I'm going to be bad and buy a bunch of other things later.

Quote: Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

*jumps up and down and screams angrily*

I was just at Costco and saw Tom Ford Black Orchid on sale for $50. Not the 1oz version either, which is $70 at Sephora. The 1.7oz version which sephora retails for $110. I've never ever ever seen Tom Ford on sale for cheaper before and this is the first time I've seen out outside of sephora/a department store/online discount merchants. Even on fragrancenet it's $88 for the 1.7oz version

I'M SO MAD. I bought the 1oz version at full price during a 3x point event earlier this year. It's honestly like my favourite perfume ever so I would definitely have used up a whole 30mL bottle and then another 50mL one. I actually grabbed it and put it on down to buy but then I realised there was a bunch so it was likely they would be able to get more, and if they showed up at Costco it was likely TF was loosening the overstock distribution of the product. I haven't actually used mine that many times since i bought it since it's very much a fall/winter (esp winter) scent and very heavy for spring/summer.

Anyway, I didn't get it so pat me on the back. LOL. I just justified it to myself as part of the price I need to get to VIB (which I haven't reached yet still) so now I'll know. $50 is cheap for Black Orchid, but I justified it to myself by saying I can try other perfumes i've been intrigued by: Folle de Joie, Juilette Has a Gun, Harvey Prince, decant of TF Tobacco Vanille. I could probably pick up samplers of all those perfumes one way or another for $50 so. I decided to behave myself.

plus I'm going to be bad and buy a bunch of other things later.
Hmmm, I 'm surprised Tom Ford ever allows his stuff to be discounted - he seems so anal about controlling his image.  I don't know if you'd tried any of the online perfume decant sellers, but I've had good experiences with Surrender to Chance.  I got a decant of TF  Tobacco Vanille from them, as well as a few of his other ones.  Tobacoo Vanille is my favorite thus far.  They offer weekly discount codes if you sign up for their email newsletter, and then have special sales periodically.

Quote: Originally Posted by Lulubelle107 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Hmmm, I 'm surprised Tom Ford ever allows his stuff to be discounted - he seems to anal about controlling his image.  I don't know if you'd tried any of the online perfume decant sellers, but I've had good experiences with Surrender to Chance.  I got a decant of TF  Tobacco Vanille from them, as well as a few of his other ones.  Tobacoo Vanille is my favorite thus far.  They offer weekly discount codes if you sign up for their email newsletter, and then have special sales periodically.

Yeah, that's why I was so surprised. I'm not sure how Costco got ahold of it but since there were multiples I wouldn't be surprised if there were more in the future. That's pretty much the only reason I was able to talk myself out of buying it right away because 55% is the best discount I think you'd ever e able to get for TF

Thanks for the tip! I've been dying to get a decant of Tobacco Vanille because it's sooo hard. Nordstrom carries it but only online. : And I need a decant to wear around for a few days before I can decide if it's worth shelling out the whole $200++ for TV

Latest posts

Back