September 2013 - No Buy/ Low Buy Support Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
 Continuing my No-Buy until Christmas (only exception Black Friday/Cyber Monday) my rules:

Allowed:

Current subscriptions

Hygiene items (deodorant, tooth paste, tooth brush)

Items from BB shop if paid entirely 100% with points, free shipping

Banned:

New subscriptions

Makeup

Perfume

Nail polish

Palettes

Sales

Impulse items

Anything not on the Allowed list

ETA: I am still waiting for a Lush Lacquer order made on 8/11......got shipping notice today. Last nail purchase.

Originally Posted by page5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by tnorth1852 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For this month -- my goal is a super-low buy. My mister and I have decided that as part of our Christmas gift to each other he will get a "Man Kit", and I will get a "Beauty Basket" -- so I've been writing down a looonnnnnggggg list of things I would love to have/try. That has helped me curb some of my purchases. Sadly, it gives me anxiety, too. "What if he purchases from Sephora and misses an awesome GWP?! What if he forgets to use my VIB number?! Ohhhhhhhhhhh lorrrrddddd!!)
My husband always wants electronics, science, etc stuff for xmas/bday that I have no clue about so instead of me trying to order it I have him log into his account of whatever site he wants the item from and fill out everything but the payment info. Then, he says "it's ready honey" and saunters away from the computer so I can do my part. After having to return two incorrectly ordered items we find that this system works best for us :) 

I used to give my husband verbal wish lists... and he still got details wrong (like the Peacoat Incident of 2008... I told my hubby I wanted a peacoat that was any color but black, with a hood.  I was hoping for navy. I got a black, hoodless peacoat)  so last year I created a Word document that linked directly to the exact product and emailed it to him.  So "new purse" linked to the exact champagne satchel bag that I wanted.   "Silver Necklace" linked to a page on the Tiffany's website I'd been drooling over.

I got EXACTLY what I wanted that year.  And if I happened to be cruising my wish list and noticed that an item was on sale, I'd casually mention "hey, you know that purse I liked?  It's 60% off right now... with free shipping."  Then I'd leave the room.

Continuing on with my no buy!

Allowed: current BB subscription (1) & trades

Not allowed: pretty much anything else

Quote:Originally Posted by magicalmom /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I used to give my husband verbal wish lists... and he still got details wrong (like the Peacoat Incident of 2008... I told my hubby I wanted a peacoat that was any color but black, with a hood.  I was hoping for navy. I got a black, hoodless peacoat)  so last year I created a Word document that linked directly to the exact product and emailed it to him.  So "new purse" linked to the exact champagne satchel bag that I wanted.   "Silver Necklace" linked to a page on the Tiffany's website I'd been drooling over.

I got EXACTLY what I wanted that year.  And if I happened to be cruising my wish list and noticed that an item was on sale, I'd casually mention "hey, you know that purse I liked?  It's 60% off right now... with free shipping."  Then I'd leave the room.

This! This is exactly how it's going down for us this year. We've each created word docs with the links. Difference is -- mine says you can buy it place A for x dollars, place B for x dollars... and here are my reward numbers! Hopefully this won't be a total fail!

My low buy for September:

Three beauty subs (two are pre-paid). I should probably get this back down to two subs but one is birchbox and most of their samples are so tiny that they don’t add much to my stash.

One beauty purchase if I see something I really, really want

I’d add replacement items only but I’m not running out of anything this month J

My low buy from previous months is paying off - I used up many products in August. Most were not used up in one month but were the culmination of four+ months of use. I don’t have any use it up goals, just keep using current products and don’t add to my stash except subs. Looking at my surplus of products they can mostly be summed up as: Allure Box, L'Oreal test panel compensation, MIL who thinks every girl needs more B&BW 

Next, I want to re-evaluate my eyeliners and lip products. I should toss a few that I know aren’t working for me but my frugal girl soul doesn’t want to give up on them yet.

Putting $ saved towards a new refrigerator. Boring but necessary because our current one is over 20 years old and making some strange noises. It was purchased before 3 kids came into our lives so we do need a bigger model as well. 

At first I thought it was kind of silly to post here but it keeps me mindful of purchases and I learn from other gals here. 

Quote:Originally Posted by page5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My low buy for September:

Three beauty subs (two are pre-paid). I should probably get this back down to two subs but one is birchbox and most of their samples are so tiny that they don’t add much to my stash.

One beauty purchase if I see something I really, really want

I’d add replacement items only but I’m not running out of anything this month J

My low buy from previous months is paying off - I used up many products in August. Most were not used up in one month but were the culmination of four+ months of use. I don’t have any use it up goals, just keep using current products and don’t add to my stash except subs. Looking at my surplus of products they can mostly be summed up as: Allure Box, L'Oreal test panel compensation, MIL who thinks every girl needs more B&BW 

Next, I want to re-evaluate my eyeliners and lip products. I should toss a few that I know aren’t working for me but my frugal girl soul doesn’t want to give up on them yet.

Putting $ saved towards a new refrigerator. Boring but necessary because our current one is over 20 years old and making some strange noises. It was purchased before 3 kids came into our lives so we do need a bigger model as well. 

At first I thought it was kind of silly to post here but it keeps me mindful of purchases and I learn from other gals here. 

I, too, thought it was kind of silly. However, I've found that I tend to stick more to my "goals" if I write them down. I also am really thankful for the fact that if I have a lipstick in my hand and put it back -- I can come here and tell you fab ladies and you'll know what a tough thing that was. Mister is just like "what? it was just lipstick!" -- nooooooo. It was the most beautiful, most aweseme, most raved about lipstick on the planet. ha!

Not only that, but maybe we can offer some support to each other if we are starting to cave! We can be disenablers! LOL

Hey Guys!  My first time to do this but I'm in need of an intervention!  I'm not going to go for a total no buy this month but for a low-buy. 

Allowed:

Products that are on sale and I have a coupon for that are no more than $5 total after coupon and sale.  If it's not on sale and I don't have a coupon then it's not allowed.
Products that I'm out of. 

Banned:

Hautelook!  I've been Hautelook crazy lately and it needs to stop. 

eyeslipsface.com  <---- Their sales keep dragging me in. 

I'd also like to remind us that if some of us do slip up, we've got the Confessional/Oops I slipped up thread - aka the thread of shame (just kidding). 
wink.gif
 It might be a good idea to keep confessions in that thread so that we don't accidentally enable each other in this thread. I know I might fall victim to the "well, other people are slipping up as well so this isn't so bad" mentality.

Originally Posted by jrenee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't buy a lot of products because I want makeup collection, but I do want to find my HG blush, eyeshadows, primers, lipstick, and skin care products.  I tend to buy (especially skin care) in order to try new brands and new regimes.  I don't end up getting through my old stash, so I feel guilty and keep it around instead of tossing it out.  Hence why I now have 9 face cleansers.  It took me trying 5 BB creams to find my go-to BB Cream.  

I'm sure there are many people who view their makeup as a collection, and will buy products to add to their collection.  But I feel like I buy a lot of products because I'm trying things out, seeing what works for me (especially if I can try their product through a samples or sales).  The only 'collection' I have is my nail polish.  I have 40 polishes and I adore each and every bottle like it's a baby kitten. LOL  
You bring up a good point. Using up products before getting new ones takes a lot of discipline. I seem to find myself with multiples of the same kind of items (nude all-over-the-lid eyeshadows and brown eyeliners, for example) because I always think that new product I'm lusting after is going to be different or better than the others. The truth is they seldom are. I could do with just one or two nude eyeshadows and brown eyeliners but I seem to have accumulated many more in my search for HGs. This is something I need to keep in mind during my future low-buys. 
smilehappyyes.gif

Edit: blushingsooner, good luck with your first low-buy! It might take some time getting used to doing a low-buy but you'll be so proud of yourself when you succeed. 

My low buy from previous months is paying off - I used up many products in August. Most were not used up in one month but were the culmination of four+ months of use.
Yeah I think the vast majority of us don't just use a product start-to-finish within one month! Some of the stuff has been around for years.

I really don't buy  what  I call high end products so that is not  to0  big of issue but I did want  the Helllo Kitty mirror  from Sephora ,my birthday is  in September. Heck  I  still have hand lotion from a year  ago, hair product. I spend maybe 30 a month on  what I call  fun, such as Yard sale items ,thrift store  jewelry,cheap makeup like Elf or clearance  stuff, once in awhile Hello Kitty or  Ebay stuff. I could  lose my over  time  hours from work any day now  so I have to  stop buying  anything extra now. Plus  I have all kinds of Dr bills. blehhhhhhh. I'm  not  even going to buy my soda  pop daily. I feel deprived  though. I  work hard and lots of hours I feel I need  some kind of treat. I don't  buy half of what  some  people do but I ve bought to much makeup in the last 4 months. I am going to keep Ipsy, I also am going to USE stuff up sometimes I just  buy crap just to have. I stopped  buying craft stuff   last year  and I still have a ample supply For  28 years  I was a  single mother of 3, I still have trouble even buying stuff I have to have. I could  see my self being a hoarder, I'm  glad I don't have a lot to spend or I would lol. I suffer from empty nest issues and I try to fix my loneliness with buying stuff even if its  5 dollar  stuff from the Dollar Store. I still think I need  some  Hello Kitty  stuff from Sephora . I also  watch too much  of the Beauty guru;s on youtube.

Good luck ladies,

I unsubscribed to a ton of websites (looking at you, Hautelook!) just so I don't see whats going on over there. Don't forget that ELF usually runs a sale so its nothing special... 

I think what dragged me into my makeup habit was the idea of "make up never being on sale" -- like all I had was the Sephora VIB discount during the holidays and Chic Week...little did I know its like everyone is having a Friends and Family discount thingy every few months or so...What's really helped me is just a little reminder to myself that it will probably go on sale again. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by blushingsooner /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hey Guys!  My first time to do this but I'm in need of an intervention!  I'm not going to go for a total no buy this month but for a low-buy. 

Allowed:

Products that are on sale and I have a coupon for that are no more than $5 total after coupon and sale.  If it's not on sale and I don't have a coupon then it's not allowed.
Products that I'm out of. 

Banned:

Hautelook!  I've been Hautelook crazy lately and it needs to stop. 

eyeslipsface.com  <---- Their sales keep dragging me in. 

I've been on a low/no buy all summer but had no idea there was a thread for support! Anyways I'm joining you guys, this month will be exceptionally hard because I'll have roughly 600 dollars coming my way extra a month (yay for back to school equals TA pay check and I'm offically in my "thesis writing" year of grad school so my tuition goes way down!) BUT this money should be saved for car repairs and paying off undergrad debt. So I am on a super low buy/no buy. My allowances: my month ipsy bag and any hygiene products that need replaced. So far I haven't been tempted too much this summer and can hopefully keep saving. Unfortunately, Target and Forever21 are opening in my city (I'm in Canada so I would normally only get to these places once a year!) And both are due to open Fall 2013. I must stay strong!

Originally Posted by mauu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

People are different and low-buys are about buying less than you normally would, so as long as it's working out for you, good for you. Although to be honest a lot of people do low-buys that don't quite sound like a low-buy to me but hey, whatever floats your boat. I don't know how much said people would be buying if they weren't on a low-buy.

Having said that, if you're worried your low-buy isn't "strict" enough, perhaps consider dropping the Birchbox sub, skipping the Julep box and using shower gel as a bubble bath? I know it's not the same thing as Lush's bubble bars but it'd help you use up stuff. Just a thought.
Yeah, I barely even call this month for me a low-buy. More like a "stick to a certain amount of spending and don't go crazy just cuz it's your birthday." haha. I probably will skip the Julep box, since I've done so for the past couple months without remorse, and put a limit of two Lush bubble bars. Also the Birchbox is pre-paid so it's already out of the bank account lol :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The scary thing is that, yeah, I would be buying about four times as much as my allowed list if I didn't put some restrictions on it. That list isn't even what I normally get in one *week*. I've deliberately been buying lots of stuff this past year to build up my collection from pretty much nothing, and I'm trying to ramp back down so I don't buy this much stuff next year. I want a new laptop and a Dyson!
Totally! I think my main thing (scary to think about) is that I just get carried away. I see a blog post on some makeup item and I'm like, OMG MUST HAVE without giving a second thought. It was a really bad trap to get into!

Originally Posted by saycrackagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Get out! Lol
Lol! I promise I won't post any buy-enabling posts this month ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

With all that said, my "used up" goal for this month is emptying at least one of my body/hand lotions. I have a bunch half-empties that are laying around, so I'm just going to keep one mini in my purse for work/going out and one large bottle for after showering and such. And ONLY using those two, until they run out.

Here's my list September beauty low-buy list! : (I tried to be very specific so I know exactly what I can/can not have. Hopefully a more detailed list will help me stick to a September low-buy better than I did for August!) 

ALLOWED:

-Eye makeup remover 

-Personal Hygiene Items (deodorant, etc)

-Glossybox subscription (I recently canceled BirchBox and also Eco Emi a few months back since I wasn't enjoying them as much as Glossybox. I'd rather put the money towards Items I truly want/love, than foil samples I will overlook and not enjoy as much.)

-MAC Antonio Lopez collection items (I have been waiting for this for ages!! I'm a huge fan of his, so I've been saving/planning to purchase a few items from this collection for months! These are the ONLY makeup items I'm allowed to buy for the month of September!!! Period. That is it! )

-One new perfume, since I have recently used up three full sized ones as well as a few samples.

-Scarf for Fall weather...one. that is it...one scarf! (I love scarves!) There was a green studded one I saw at Target a few days ago. So glad I didn't impulse buy it, but now that I've thought on it for a while, I will allow myself to purchase that one scarf. 

-CoverGirl Hunger Games collection items...ONLY with a coupon! (I don't think it even launches until October, but just incase, I'm budgeting for a few little items now!)

-Scent Shots/ Wax for my wax warmers (I've used up a lot lately, so running low on things. I prefer natural wax to to plug-in's)

-nail polish: ONLY if there is a BOGO / major sale, and limited to a reasonable number. (Since I missed out on the ZOYA BOGO order I tried to place, this will give me time to think on the colors I truly want in my collection, and prevent me from impulse buying in between sales. (If I buy a drugstore polish, I MUST have a coupon and it must be on sale.That is it! No full price polishes, and only a few colors I've seen swatches of, added to my list, and not just impulsively bought.)

-Missha BB cream (replacement for mine that is almost empty, that I received in last years' Glossy Box)

-Back 2 MAC lipstick (Going to be turning in a few empties in exchange for a lipstick freebie).

-nail polish top coat since I'm low on my other bottle

-organizer for my makeup brushes (I want a white spinney one, I've outgrown my up cycled candle jars!)  

-Ball Mason Jars to can, cook, and make projects with for the holidays/gifts

-Cotton Facial Ovals (to remove makeup with)

-Fall decor items for the house, within the budget I set for it. Not a penny over! (Since I'm kind of stuck at home for now, I like to decorate and make it cheerful! I'm going to spend anything on decor though, it has to fit the budget!)

-nail polish wheel to swatch the polish colors I already have with, so they don't get overlooked.

-Two lip glosses in Fall shades...any brand. But only two. That is it. Not three, not four...only two! 

-Hair cut/highlights and eyebrow wax (It's beauty related, may as well add it to the list and budget accordingly!) I haven't had my hair cut since the last guy butchered it in April, so I'm overdue for a new style, and a new stylist!)

-loofah

BANNED LIST:

-eyeliner

-mascara

-shampoo

-conditioner

-shower gel

-bubble bath

-bath salts

-bubble bars

-bath bombs

-body lotion

-cuticle cream (need to use up the one I have first)

-body splash

-candles (I need to use a few up before I replenish my candles)

-hair products (other than a replacement blow dryer) 

-eyebrow products

-eyeshadow (except for MAC collection)

-highlighters

-chap stick ( I DO NOT NEED ANY MORE!!!! I'm embarrassed I have so many lol!) 

-makeup brushes

-face creams

-eye primer

-eye roller ball/depuffer (I need to use my current ones up first)

-Facial Wipes/ Makeup Remover Wipes

-palettes (Other than MAC Antonio Lopez collection that I have budgeted for)

-Serums (I need to use up my other one first)

-Lip Scrub

-Hand Sanitizers/Pocket Bacs

-Emory boards

-nail tools / tweezers/ eyelash curlers/ makeup brushes....I do not need any more tools! 

-No stress-shopping/impulse shopping!!!

Originally Posted by LydiaNichole /img/forum/go_quote.gif

ALLOWED:

(...)

-Back 2 MAC lipstick (Going to be turning in a few empties in exchange for a lipstick freebie).

(...)
Nice list! Good luck with your low-buy, LydiaNichole.

I'm still thinking about allowing one B2M lipstick, too. I'm thinking it might help me curb my spending but then again... I really, really, really don't need more lipstick even if it's "free". @_@ Decisions, decisions... sigh. I suppose I'll keep all lip products (even B2M ones) on my not allowed list at least until October. 

Not allowed: Anything not received in a sub.

Exception: personal care items that I don't have stockpiled.

I did an inventory of sorts and it looks like I can successfully stay clean, shiny and primped until the end of the year, at least. I'll probably stay on a no-buy until December at least. The only exception I'll make is for Sephora It Kits and then I can only purchase those with something I am purchasing for others as gifts. I have plenty of everything. I was going to need shampoo, but I took advantage of the BB free shampoo deal and scored a couple of free ones (I bought tea and resubbed the second account (cancelling ipsy), so it doesn't count on my no buy).

Good luck girls! We can do it!

I need to do an inventory. Maybe a super OCD one on an Excel spreadsheet. Truthfully, I'm almost afraid to know how much stuff I have! LOL

This thread inspired me to do a little re-organizing/sorting last night and I tossed six things that weren't working for me or were old and going bad. Yay! I also picked out a couple of unopened body lotions to donate when the kids' school does their food and personal care products collection for the county community services agency. Win-Win. 

Originally Posted by page5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This thread inspired me to do a little re-organizing/sorting last night and I tossed six things that weren't working for me or were old and going bad. Yay! I also picked out a couple of unopened body lotions to donate when the kids' school does their food and personal care products collection for the county community services agency. Win-Win. 
Great idea! I am going to do this as well. The company I work for always adopts families for Christmas and we always include boxes of personal care and home supplies/food in with the gifts. I will start a box for that donation with some of my extra lotions etc.

Back