September 2013 - No Buy/ Low Buy Support Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Staying strong in August--I ordered the nail polish remover today (I was completely out, so not a problem) and have NOT bought any of those perfume decants!  The sale only goes til Aug 31, so I think I can do it.  Thank you all for your help the other day.

Goals for September:

--Finish one lipstick. I am getting really close, and I think I can do it.

--Finish one sample baggie of mineral eyeshadow.  I finally finished an entire full size pan of eyeshadow in August, for the first time in my life.  I have this little sampler baggie in a somewhat similar color to the one I used up, so I might be able to make a good dent in this if not finish it.

--Continue to use my stash of shampoo.  I'm getting close to finishing the entire stash, samples and everything.

--Not buy any soap, body wash, or shampoo (major weaknesses for me)

--Not buy any perfume until I've used up 5 of my 1 mL decants

We can do this, everyone!

September HAS to be a no buy for me because I have been out of control lately and ran up a totally paid off credit card to its almost max point again from various online shopping I have done.

So far, I cancelled my glossybox subscription because I just don't really need it. They give out way too many hair care products in my opinion and I have super short hair. I am never going to use 6 bottles of beach waves spray, even at sample size. LOL

I am not going to make any purchases from Sephora. I am going to limit my Ulta purchases until I get my reward certificate and then I am just going to get whatever it is I can get with my reward. I am not even stepping into the makeup area in Target or Walmart for the month. I definitely have a makeup collection and there are plenty of days where I am lazy and wear no makeup whatsoever. That being said, I could wear a full face of makeup every single day for probably the next 5 years and not run out of products. When it comes to makeup purchases, I am a hoarder with no self control.

I am focused on paying down the above mentioned credit card so I can use it for Sephora F&F. I am diligently adding things to my loves list for that time and when it hits, my CC may go into cardiac arrest.

Originally Posted by ultajunkie /img/forum/go_quote.gif

September HAS to be a no buy for me because I have been out of control lately and ran up a totally paid off credit card to its almost max point again from various online shopping I have done.

So far, I cancelled my glossybox subscription because I just don't really need it. They give out way too many hair care products in my opinion and I have super short hair. I am never going to use 6 bottles of beach waves spray, even at sample size. LOL

I am not going to make any purchases from Sephora. I am going to limit my Ulta purchases until I get my reward certificate and then I am just going to get whatever it is I can get with my reward. I am not even stepping into the makeup area in Target or Walmart for the month. I definitely have a makeup collection and there are plenty of days where I am lazy and wear no makeup whatsoever. That being said, I could wear a full face of makeup every single day for probably the next 5 years and not run out of products. When it comes to makeup purchases, I am a hoarder with no self control.

I am focused on paying down the above mentioned credit card so I can use it for Sephora F&F. I am diligently adding things to my loves list for that time and when it hits, my CC may go into cardiac arrest.
That was the catalyst for my low-buy/no-buy.  The realization that I may never get through my makeup unless I stopped purchases and subscription boxes.  Most products are only good for 12 months, up to 18 months.  I've definitely kept products longer than that and I know I shouldn't.  

My goal is a low buy because I know if I do a no buy I will break it
icon_redface.gif
. I can get up to five drugstore makeup items, but they have to either be on clearance or I have to have a coupon.

My use it up goals are six samples and two hair care products. I pretty much never use samples so recently I have started about five and it feels so nice to have lots of new things to try for free!

I don't have any box subscriptions so that isn't a problem... I am allowing myself up to two drugstore nail polishes, but again, they have to either be on sale or have a coupon. I need to stop spending money on random junk and start saving for Black Friday. This will be the first year I get to really BF shop and I know I'm going to blow at least $100 at Sephora, and $60 between Bath and Body Works and LUSH.

This is a great thread to post my first low-buy (you have to start somewhere right?) Goals: Keep my subscriptions that I have now but eliminate one by the end of the month. Either Birchbox, Ipsy, or Popsugarmusthave. I have a feeling it might be Ipsy. As amazing as try are Birchbox has those points that let me indulge in full size items free or close to free. Save up as many Birchbox points as I can!! Use up my samples and stop going to Sephora/Ulta/BBW. Save up money to buy during the holidays instead. Hope for the best :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Originally Posted by skylola123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a great thread to post my first low-buy (you have to start somewhere right?)

Goals:

Keep my subscriptions that I have now but eliminate one by the end of the month. Either Birchbox, Ipsy, or Popsugarmusthave. I have a feeling it might be Ipsy. As amazing as try are Birchbox has those points that let me indulge in full size items free or close to free.

Save up as many Birchbox points as I can!!

Use up my samples and stop going to Sephora/Ulta/BBW.

Save up money to buy during the holidays instead.

Hope for the best
smile.gif
Congrads on your first low-buy!  

Good luck trying to choose a sub to cut this fall - I have all three of those but I'm rather mixed on all three subscriptions services at this point.  They all have their highlights and challenges - for me, as well.  It's hard for me to make a decision on which to cut, especially when the spoilers come out.

Congrads on your first low-buy!   Good luck trying to choose a sub to cut this fall - I have all three of those but I'm rather mixed on all three subscriptions services at this point.  They all have their highlights and challenges - for me, as well.  It's hard for me to make a decision on which to cut, especially when the spoilers come out.
Thank you! Good luck to you as well and everyone else :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> It's hard because now that I think about it, that's ALL I can think about! And yes you are right I want to keep all of them for different reasons but I have so many samples. It's taking me longer to use them up than imagined! And I seriously love love love Popsugar. It's always such a surprise plus it includes more than just beauty. I loves the apple bowl and bentgo from this month.

Hi everyone, my name is Kelly and I have to go on a low-buy. This is my first one and I'm terribly afraid of failure. I can't say no to a good deal I'm going to set up a list of all of my beauty items because my cup has runneth over. On the NO NO list- -Lip products -Eyeliner -BLUSH (I've been seriously hoarding it lately) -Makeup in general -Absolutely no perfume Allowing: -One lush order because they have the rose jam body wash and I need some bath bombs because its starting to get cool here at night. -One trip to bath and body works for pumpkin candles - One trip the hair salon to get my hair cut and colored I really need to start saving money for my new car that I'm getting in a few weeks and I also need to put my money towards warm winter clothes. We are also going on a trip to Disneyland in December and I would like to have a little extra "squirrel" money.

It is truly amazing how much stuff we accumulate over time without even realizing it. Like a few months ago I realized that I didn't own a single lipstick, plenty of gloss but no true lipstick so I lost my mind and now own over 100 lipsticks. UGH! I have to dial into the fact that I do not NEED more things and I think that if I live through other people's hauls via beauty blogs and stuff perhaps that will quell my own want to buy things. This thread helps as well because I get the chance to see that many others are doing the same things that I am doing for some of the same reasons. Let's be strong and we will make it through September together.

Well  I'm not doing  so good with the buying so far lol . I  bought 20 dollars worth of  vintage costumes jewelry , yikes my dream is to collect and sell, sell , sell not kept. I know I can get  at my moneys worth and more but I also  love it and it looks so good incorporated in my wardrobe,and some work clothes for  5 bucks,   Then a at walmart I bought  some whitening toothpaste and peroxide and a LBD that was on clearance for 5 dollars. They also had work pants for 5 bucks,  I need work pants, sigh sigh those would match the cute tops I got earlier at the thrift shop.  So I then  bought some hair dye this morning, and then 10 bucks worth of fake buns, ponytails to match my new old color . I really want to get my birthday gift and samples from Sephora, I never get anything from there  but I though I be cool and say hey I ordered from Sephora lol. I think I ordered  ponytail elastic of something  my order is still waiting in the cart for 9 bucks lol. So I blew like 50 bucks in the last few days.   I needed a LBD. Im going to a wedding  plus  I can always  dress it up and down, its hard to find a good  dress when you are over weight, or at least I have had trouble.

Warning  long boring life story  feel free to skip it lol.

I think  I spend to make my self feel  good, I'm trying to repair my  low self esteem,,Here are some of the issues  I have dealt with recently I had a  major break up last year, got back, he dumped me after a week, it was limbo for 5 years , I'm a empty nester now, finally have a home to decorate, I got rid of everything and had to buy all new house  hold items, funding  cut backs at work who knows  how long it will last, I graduate college with a criminal justice and general business certificate,,, I almost have enough to get   a higher degree  but I have changed majors so much, and I need the math credits, oops. OK  I also  found  out I have  the beginning stages of kidney and heart failure.Thank  God the Dr did  blood test when my fibro got so bad or I would have not found so soon.

Ok so my point being lol   I weighed like 205 when I graduated in  June, I cut my long hair off into a short pixie and died it red. I have hated how I have looked, I could cry when I look at my college graduation pictures so I have bought all kinds of things to try and make me feel better.  But the light at the end of the tunnel, I started watching  makeup and style gurus on you tube, I have learned alot. I'm losing weight I'm like 189 now, I'm eating so much healthier, I feel better my meds  are helping me stay healthy and I'm looking for a 2nd job since I'm losing my over time. I want to use my education  and plus Ive been in the same job 24 years.  Even  since dying my hair dark brown this morning , which I hated and tried to go blonder this summer since my hair was  so short. I feel soooooo  much better . I blew it out straight(it  doesn't even  look  or feel like my hair now  woo  hoo), put on makeup (it actually looks good  now)and a nice pair of pants, and bright jewelery. I feel like a million  bucks this is the first  time I can  actually look in the mirror and feel  good about myself  since  June .. At my job I could wear yoga pants, shirt, shorts and be a bum  but I'm going to start wearing at least a nice top and pants.I don't know about shoes, I have wore  croc sandals that  are orthopedic all summer or I wouldn't be able to walk due to health issues, so I need to carry those and when I'm in public wear my good  shoes lol. Ok  now  that I wrote a book.

Why do you  guys  think you spend to much? I think if we get to the root of the problem we can  live and learn why we buy what we buy.

Originally Posted by jrenee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Has anyone else checked this out?  

https://www.makeuptalk.com/a/3-common-sense-things-you-never-think-about-when-makeup-shopping

Great things to think about next time you're tempted to break your no-buy/low buy!
Thank you for pointing out this article.

I'm guilty of all 3 of those things, especially #2 and 3. #2 "Do I need this or is it just on sale?" recently stopped me from ordering a second box from one of my subscriptions. I need to remember #3 "Do I even care about this beyond the packaging?" around the holidays.

It is truly amazing how much stuff we accumulate over time without even realizing it. Like a few months ago I realized that I didn't own a single lipstick, plenty of gloss but no true lipstick so I lost my mind and now own over 100 lipsticks. UGH! I have to dial into the fact that I do not NEED more things and I think that if I live through other people's hauls via beauty blogs and stuff perhaps that will quell my own want to buy things. This thread helps as well because I get the chance to see that many others are doing the same things that I am doing for some of the same reasons. Let's be strong and we will make it through September together.
Yes!  Even though September hasn't started yet, lol!  
icon_cheesygrin.gif

Remember too, attitude is everything!

I look at my low buy as an opportunity to re-discover items I already have but have been ignoring or I was using it wrong or I needed to try a different technique. An example: Last week I tried out a blush I have owned for over a year and found that I really liked it. I think it ended up at the bottom of the pile because when I tried it the first few times I had a crappy blush brush that didn't distribute the color well. Several months ago I bought a new blush brush that works 100% better than the crappy one and now I'm happy with the blush. Alternatively, if I tried the blush and still didn't like it (faded too fast, color doesn't look good on me, etc) then I need to consider if I can use it for something else (maybe it would be an okay eyeshadow?) or I need to just toss it or give it away because I'm never going to use it and it's taking up valuable space in my stash. 

Make your low or no buy a fun time of re-discovering all the little gems you already own but may have forgotten about. 

sigh. so someone posted about a deborah lippman sale (50% off)... i already completely failed this month, so maybe I should just go ahead since I've always wanted to try DL. On the other hand, as I've said, I have way too much nail polish I really really really don't need.

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

sigh. so someone posted about a deborah lippman sale (50% off)... i already completely failed this month, so maybe I should just go ahead since I've always wanted to try DL. On the other hand, as I've said, I have way too much nail polish I really really really don't need.
I've seen your ridiculous nail polish collection highlighted in other threads, Kyuu - you're just going to swatch it once and put it on your trade or sale list!  It's not worth it!  
sadno.gif
  Think about how many polishes are on your trade list!

Originally Posted by jrenee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've seen your ridiculous nail polish collection highlighted in other threads, Kyuu - you're just going to swatch it once and put it on your trade or sale list!  It's not worth it!  
sadno.gif
/o Okay, you're right. I'm sure there will be a better deal around Christmas because I remember people on MUT grabbing DL's with FS at like $6! I need to buy some swatch sticks teehee.

The sad part is that's only the Juleps I'm looking to get rid of. I haven't even categorized the other polishes I need to clear out/trade/sell. There's got to be at least 15+ of those too....

This is me as well. I started out with almost nothing about 8 years ago, maybe a little less and now I have enough for several people. I used to have ONE eyeshadow and I would use it until it was gone and then buy another. Now, I am not ever going to do that again. I like variety now, BUT this weekend I am seriously doing a purge. I know I have lipsticks that I will never wear. Ever. Why do I have them? So many were GWP and not even a color I would wear, but it seems so wasteful to toss them. There are many that have to be tossed just because of time. I keep eye shadows or powder blushes well past the recommended date, but I won't use old crème products like lipsticks.

One of the things I love most about MUT and this forum in particular is I can talk about things like this and nobody is going to call me out and say I'm a hoarder or I'm wasteful of my money or what is wrong with me. I just need to remember I WANT these things, but I really don't NEED them.

Page5 is so right! Attitude is everything! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

As far as katcole's question is concerned, I'd have to say that I purchase when I am bored. I find that buying things are a pick up to my psyche and often are a ruse for me to get through the stresses of daily life. It is not the most healthy thing but up until a year ago, I was a serious over-eater. I was morbidly obese and underwent gastric bypass surgery last September to make changes to that. It has been 11 months since surgery and I have lost 130lbs and am significantly healthier. I am the most healthy I have been in my entire life to be honest.

As far as makeup is concerned, I came to it late. I only got into makeup about two years ago and at the time, I was 33. I am still trying to discover what my "look" is and have spent a lot of time playing with products to determine what it is that I like. I appreciate that makeup is a creative way to reinvent yourself for a day or even for an hour with no real loss if you determine that it was a look you hated. You can wash your face and move on from it, unlike other things that you could do to yourself for the sake of reinvention.

All of that being said, I am coming to the conclusion that I am simply a shopaholic and enjoy the thrill of just going to a store or a website and buying something new and taking it home or anxiously awaiting its arrival to my door. I am going to battle through the month of September and see how much of the family budget I save just by telling myself to put it down and step away.

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by jrenee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

sadno.gif
/o Okay, you're right. I'm sure there will be a better deal around Christmas because I remember people on MUT grabbing DL's with FS at like $6! I need to buy some swatch sticks teehee.

The sad part is that's only the Juleps I'm looking to get rid of. I haven't even categorized the other polishes I need to clear out/trade/sell. There's got to be at least 15+ of those too....

Next time you're tempted to shop for polishes, try re-categorizing or reorganizing your polish collection.  I do this with my samples whenever I'm tempted to buy on Sephora, and most recently's Bondi's second box.  I'm doing good so far.    

Back