September 2013 - No Buy/ Low Buy Support Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to commit to a low buy for September. I can only replace what I run out of completely. If I have any type of replacement for it I can't buy a new one. I can also spend $50 for my bday but that's it. No other spending. I'm trying to save up to go live abroad for a while and I need to stop spending so much on cosmetics, especially because it can't all come with me when I leave. I think I'm also going to try to keep all of my empties this month so I can see how much I actually use.
It's a great motivation. I'm sure you can do it ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

You're doing great! Stay strong! I know you can do it! Thanks, she's all I have and I am not ready to lose her. Not that you're ever ready. We are having a brain scan later today to see if we can figure out what is going on. And yes, I have to make sure I don't fall into that trap, it would be easy to say, "Oh I've been stress eating and ONLY 4 pounds, so I can keep doing it!"
When I feel that I'm slipping off my healthy eating i like to remind myself that I eat healthy food for my body to keep it healthy. And it does appreciate clean eating , I feel much better and can do more things and think clearly. On the other hand, I always let myself eat pretty much whatever I like in the weekends, without over binging of course.

Originally Posted by Olga Ok /img/forum/go_quote.gif

When I feel that I'm slipping off my healthy eating i like to remind myself that I eat healthy food for my body to keep it healthy. And it does appreciate clean eating , I feel much better and can do more things and think clearly. On the other hand, I always let myself eat pretty much whatever I like in the weekends, without over binging of course.
I might try that controlled "sinning" on the weekend. That way if there is something that I am craving horribly (like carbs) then I can have some, in moderation. I'm much more active on weekends, so that is a good time to have the opportunity to burn it off.

Thanks!

You're doing great! Stay strong! I know you can do it! Thanks, she's all I have and I am not ready to lose her. Not that you're ever ready. We are having a brain scan later today to see if we can figure out what is going on. And yes, I have to make sure I don't fall into that trap, it would be easy to say, "Oh I've been stress eating and ONLY 4 pounds, so I can keep doing it!"
I'm an only child and my mom is seriously my best friend. Can't imagine! My heart hurts for you and I will definitely keep you both in my thoughts and prayers! Hope you are able to get some answers for her!

Originally Posted by tnorth1852 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm an only child and my mom is seriously my best friend. Can't imagine! My heart hurts for you and I will definitely keep you both in my thoughts and prayers! Hope you are able to get some answers for her!
I am pretty much an only child and my mom is definitely my best friend. She lives with me. Thank you so much for the thoughts and prayers. I really appreciate them!

I am not going into sephora for month of September. I can't come out of that store without buying something and I have more than enough products to last awhile

Thank you!! Two years in and going strong! Just wish that comfort weight hadn't come with my awesome man! Hahaha
That is awesome!! / You can lose it girl; I'm watching my weight too! Maybe try adding in a de-stress walk or yoga when you start your day! (Some of the lovely steriods I was put on for medical things made me turn into a giant watermlon; I definitely understand how frustrating it is when your clothes don't fit! But, each day is a fresh start to chose healthy meals and add in some exercise, so try not to let it get you down! ) 

Don't do what I do... I tend to be like ohhhhh i ate a cheeseburger and didn't gain a pound... I'm gonna eat five more. haha. You're right, though. It just tends to creep up. It started at 5 for me, and that five quickly turned into 15! Stay focused on your goals! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> And I hope your mom gets to feeling better. I think the worst thing in the world is a sick parent! Side note: I had a cart full of DebLipp polishes AGAIN and didn't buy. Whew. I think I'm getting great practice at "Just Say No".
Yay!! Proud of you for not buying it!! I had to MAKE myself resist the urge to visit that website today lol! I did it though!!! 

Originally Posted by katcole /img/forum/go_quote.gif. Does anyone forget they order stuff?
I do that sometimes! 
redface.gif

Originally Posted by GabiGirl67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm going to commit to a low buy for September. I can only replace what I run out of completely. If I have any type of replacement for it I can't buy a new one. I can also spend $50 for my bday but that's it. No other spending. I'm trying to save up to go live abroad for a while and I need to stop spending so much on cosmetics, especially because it can't all come with me when I leave. I think I'm also going to try to keep all of my empties this month so I can see how much I actually use.
Good luck with your low buy! 

The awesome thing about birthday months is that you can sign up online for lots of freebies! My birthday was back in July and I wound up with some free meals, etc and that was nice! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

Originally Posted by ButterflyGrl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks, she's all I have and I am not ready to lose her. Not that you're ever ready. We are having a brain scan later today to see if we can figure out what is going on.
Keeping you and your mom in my prayers! 
heart.gif

Originally Posted by Croco red /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not going into sephora for month of September. I can't come out of that store without buying something and I have more than enough products to last awhile
I need to stay away from Sephora and Ulta too! 
dito.gif

Ok you guys... I was in Woodfield last night for four hours and I only spent $15! And the only thing I paid for at Sephora were hair ties. lol you should be so proud!! I got some awesome deals at B&BW and I got three mini candles, a mini lotion and a full size FFM for ten bucks. I think I am going to exchange the FFM for hand sanitizers and soaps though hahah. You all need to sniff those fall candles... it's a miracle I didn't get every one. I really wanted Sweater Weather but they didn't have it in a mini. Anyway so far I kind of failed my low buy but I'm still doing ok so oh well. I'm going back on Monday with my friend so wish me luck!!

For September, I'm setting another goal for myself. I got tempted to buy more nail polish the other day, so I went and re-organized my stash again, and put all the "untried" nail polishes in a separate box. There were 60+ in the untried box when I was done! 

So for this month, my goal is to try at least 10 of those untried polishes. Any that I don't like can go up for trade, or as a giveaway to a friend. And from there, NO more new nail polish until I try all the colors, because this is just getting outrageous! And next time I'm tempted to buy more, the visual reminder of all those untried nail polishes in the box is gonna be my motivation to stop.

For September, I'm setting another goal for myself. I got tempted to buy more nail polish the other day, so I went and re-organized my stash again, and put all the "untried" nail polishes in a separate box. There were 60+ in the untried box when I was done!  So for this month, my goal is to try at least 10 of those untried polishes. Any that I don't like can go up for trade, or as a giveaway to a friend. And from there, NO more new nail polish until I try all the colors, because this is just getting outrageous! And next time I'm tempted to buy more, the visual reminder of all those untried nail polishes in the box is gonna be my motivation to stop.
Love that idea!!

For September, I'm setting another goal for myself. I got tempted to buy more nail polish the other day, so I went and re-organized my stash again, and put all the "untried" nail polishes in a separate box. There were 60+ in the untried box when I was done!  So for this month, my goal is to try at least 10 of those untried polishes. Any that I don't like can go up for trade, or as a giveaway to a friend. And from there, NO more new nail polish until I try all the colors, because this is just getting outrageous! And next time I'm tempted to buy more, the visual reminder of all those untried nail polishes in the box is gonna be my motivation to stop.
That is a really good idea!!

I think I'm going to jump on the low buy band wagon after next weekend. I'm going to get the Michael Todd dry skin kit next weekend because I'm running low on skincare and with the Ipsy code I can get it 30% off. I also need to purchase some new clothes for a work conference I'm going to in a couple weeks. However, I'm going to avoid Sephora like crazy and not stop in the cosmetics section of the drugstore every time I go in there. I can't seem to go to Walgreens without walking out with at least one thing.

It is only September first and I'm already considering caving. I am rationalizing the heck out of the fact that I mad VIB and I have a free shipping card or I can use the 10% off card. GAH!

It is only September first and I'm already considering caving. I am rationalizing the heck out of the fact that I mad VIB and I have a free shipping card or I can use the 10% off card. GAH!
Save them for Black Friday sales!  As far as I know, they don't expire.

I'm tempted to cave already, too.  But I will put things on shopping lists for the future -- and for specific times.  I already have Benefit Rockateur and Living Proof shampoo and conditioner on my list for January.  I'm on a no-buy for the rest of the year for blush, shampoo, *and* conditioner -- and January happens to be my birthday month, so I'll deserve a splurge since I don't get birthday presents (seriously, aside from cash from my dad and my aunt, the only thing I received this year was the Sephora birthday gift.  At least next year, I will probably get something from Starlooks, too).  

I agree with meagnola - save them for the holidays. I regret using my VIB discounts right after getting them. Next year, I will try to "forget" about the coupons but set a reminder on my calendar before they expire.

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think they expire 90 days after qualifying for VIB - at least mine did.

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm tempted to cave already, too.  But I will put things on shopping lists for the future -- and for specific times.  I already have Benefit Rockateur and Living Proof shampoo and conditioner on my list for January.  I'm on a no-buy for the rest of the year for blush, shampoo, *and* conditioner -- and January happens to be my birthday month, so I'll deserve a splurge since I don't get birthday presents (seriously, aside from cash from my dad and my aunt, the only thing I received this year was the Sephora birthday gift.  At least next year, I will probably get something from Starlooks, too).  
According to the VIB cards I have, they do expire 90 days after VIB qualification.  I didn't realize that until I was going to use my free shipping one, so I had to hustle to use them both.  Of course, they may not enforce that 90 day period, but I didn't want to risk it.

Yes they both say 90 days, but I will wait. I don't think it will make it to Black Friday, but at least I won't break my no buy!! Thank you for the support ladies, that is just what I needed!!!

I need to join in on this thread.  My beauty purchases are out of control and I have SO SO many lotions, cleansers blushes samples  lip stuff I do not need anything.  I tend to buy when I feel like I need a pick me up and the past few months I have spent too much money on things I don't need.  I have been great on focusing on using stuff up but the issue is I have to stop buying or my supply wont dwindle.

My rules

I cannot buy anything beauty/makeup related until the Sephora sale in Nov. (  I dont NEED anything!!)

I can keep my existing subs ( Birchbox, Eco Emi and Sample Society but need to drop one  by Dec.  ( I cant decide yet). 

I must continue to focus on getting through my ridiculous huge stash..   

I can only acquire through trades ( but will also keep this to a minimum as I mentioned  I dont NEED anything. 

Need to determine  holy grail items and stick with them only...I need to always stop searching for something better.. 

Stay strong everyone  we can do it..... 

I've not bought anything since the em cosmetics Life Palettes and lip palette. (whatever date that was....one was launch and then 2 days after launch) The polish order from Etsy made on August 11 got here on the 30th. I signed up for another circular swap to help with any cravings. One day at a time MAA.

Latest posts

Back