September 2013 - No Buy/ Low Buy Support Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm having so much fun with planning for Black Friday and using up all my half-used stuff that its helping me keep my low-buy!

I bought a bunch of stuff and spent more money than I wanted, but the closest thing to a makeup item was a box of Q-Tips!  I even carried a lip gloss (on my allowed list!) for five minutes and PUT IT BACK because I decided that I'm still more than halfway through the other one from the collection I already have.  No stockpiling of that brand (essence, and specifically their trend edition stuff) allowed!  Seasonal purchasing and wearing only!  And since that was from the Sun-Kissed collection that came out in June, no more items can be purchased from that collection!

(My OCD really helps in this: If something was available the first time I made my purchases from a trend edition, I'm not allowed to go back and get it because it clearly didn't make *my* cut.  Unfortunately, that can also mean going to a dozen different stores to find one particular lip balm that is the first to sell out of every single display because I *did* intend to get it, but it wasn't there waiting for me.  It got to the point where I was starting to think that they didn't release it in the US, but the testers were in the display, so they clearly sent it!  So I need it!  And, finally, I found it.  Now I've figured out when to hit Fred Meyer and which stores are likely to put the collections out first, so it's easier to CATCH THEM ALL in one go.)

New here, but I really like the idea of this "support group"

I am going to have to be super strict on myself until November since we have a big move coming up at the end of October and need to save every penny in case something goes wrong. So that will be my goal until black Friday.

No Nail Polish.

No Mascara- at all! I won't even look at it.

No eye shadow/liner.

No blush.

My exception is if I get the job at Macy's that I am applying for then every paycheck I am going to treat myself to 1 thing. If I do get the job I will put a budget on it then since I will know my hours and get a discount. So obviously I am *really* hoping I get it haha.

I am keeping my ipsy bag subscription since that really helps me low buy.

Can buy a new foundation

Can buy 2 concealers

I like the idea of a use up.

My friend on YouTube does a "monthly beauty bag" and puts products in there and that's all she uses so it's like "new" makeup every month. I would have to switch it like every week or two though, but it is a good idea to finish stuff up and get use out of everything.

I have already made my order at B&BW and Lush but I'm having a hard time refraining myself with the candle sale going on and I really want more bath bombs! Ughhhhh. Someone slap me!

I'm going to try this! I've been completely insane and I need to use up what I have! I just got a set of tarte palettes and I am totally in love, so one of my rules is to use it every weekday this month for neutral work makeup. I'm falling out of love with my UD palettes because of the crazy glitter fallout I get with them. My main rule is no buying anything I don't actually have already, which is everything lol! No trading after I use up the money in my Paypal account that I use for shipping. I'm going to have to avoid TJ Maxx and Ross, because I cannot resist the beauty bargains. I'm going to avoid the "most recent purchases" thread here too because it makes my cart finger twitchy. I have enough of everything to get me through September...and probably into next year, honestly! The only things I think I'll need are nail polish remover and cotton balls and squares. I'm keeping my BB and ipsy subs, though ipsy may have to go after this month because I've been bored with it. Good luck ladies!! Let's do this!

Oh! I'm also going to hit the gym 3x a week minimum this month. I've gotten lazy with it and justifying skipping, but if I can get myself in there consistently, I get totally addicted to it just like beauty products lol! I've also been doing pretty bad with my nutrition and I'm going to get that back on track as well. I feel sooooooo good when I eat well and exercise and I'm going to replace the shopping high with the health high lol!

So I've decided I need to focus on using things up already in my stash and not spending money on anything nonessential in any aspects of my life. I really want to go backpacking in Europe for 3 months this time next year and any money I spend on things I don't really need takes away from that trip. Plus a bunch of what I buy/already have will expire while I'm gone so I might as well use stuff up instead of buying more.

merp. i cashed in a $10 sephora gift card and used 100 points. i only spent $2 after that and got a UD lipstick sample and the UD ammo pallet!  I don't think this counts as a failure I just gotta be strong for the rest of the month! ...which has just started. Oh well.

Originally Posted by SimplyJessica22 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My exception is if I get the job at Macy's that I am applying for then every paycheck I am going to treat myself to 1 thing. If I do get the job I will put a budget on it then since I will know my hours and get a discount. So obviously I am *really* hoping I get it haha.

Good luck on getting the job! I wasn't sure if you were applying for one of the cosmetic counters or as a Macy's sales associate. If it's for a sales associate position, the employee discount doesn't extend to all departments. I worked there back in high school, so I definitely don't remember all the detail but I think cosmetics were excluded (they are generally leased by the companies and not actually Macy's, I think) as well as some of the commission earning departments (like shoes). Also, the way the discount is done is back-end. Employees must use a Macy's credit card that then has the discount applied to their bill. Those who do not qualify for a credit card are given cards they can load up ahead of time with cash. It got rather confusing at times. 

Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif

merp. i cashed in a $10 sephora gift card and used 100 points. i only spent $2 after that and got a UD lipstick sample and the UD ammo pallet!  I don't think this counts as a failure I just gotta be strong for the rest of the month! ...which has just started. Oh well.
I might do that! I'm still going to wait until the 8th to get my free flash (to hold off a little ahah). I've really been wanting another travel-sized palette. I have the UD wallpaper palette but I'm really tired of it :C And I have nothing else travel sized I like (except for a Coastal Scents quad but the quality is pretty mreh)

Originally Posted by GabiGirl67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

So I've decided I need to focus on using things up already in my stash and not spending money on anything nonessential in any aspects of my life. I really want to go backpacking in Europe for 3 months this time next year and any money I spend on things I don't really need takes away from that trip. Plus a bunch of what I buy/already have will expire while I'm gone so I might as well use stuff up instead of buying more.
I hope you save enough for your trip! I would love to go backpacking in Europe.

Ohhh. Did you get your invite already?! I sent them a whiney email.

I might do that! I'm still going to wait until the 8th to get my free flash (to hold off a little ahah). I've really been wanting another travel-sized palette. I have the UD wallpaper palette but I'm really tired of it :C And I have nothing else travel sized I like (except for a Coastal Scents quad but the quality is pretty mreh)

Good luck on getting the job! I wasn't sure if you were applying for one of the cosmetic counters or as a Macy's sales associate. If it's for a sales associate position, the employee discount doesn't extend to all departments. I worked there back in high school, so I definitely don't remember all the detail but I think cosmetics were excluded (they are generally leased by the companies and not actually Macy's, I think) as well as some of the commission earning departments (like shoes). Also, the way the discount is done is back-end. Employees must use a Macy's credit card that then has the discount applied to their bill. Those who do not qualify for a credit card are given cards they can load up ahead of time with cash. It got rather confusing at times. 
I worked at Macy's until a couple of years ago and even as a non cosmetic associate, I received the employee discount on cosmetics, including the Lush that leased space. Around the holidays, in November I think, the employees discount for cosmetics was bumped up to 40% for a specified week but that did not include Lush. This may vary by district.

I can't believe it's only the 2nd of September and already having a difficult time! I keep debating whether or not to get these boots for fall. I have such a hard time finding wide calf boots. And I was cleaning my closer yesterday and found out that my boots are falling apart. The soles have become unglued and have holes on them...sad I know. I just can't believe it's just the 2nd and already thinking about buying boots!!

Originally Posted by joanholloway /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I worked at Macy's until a couple of years ago and even as a non cosmetic associate, I received the employee discount on cosmetics, including the Lush that leased space. Around the holidays, in November I think, the employees discount for cosmetics was bumped up to 40% for a specified week but that did not include Lush.

This may vary by district.
That's cool then. Yea, I worked as part of Macy's East a little over a decade ago, so my memory is certainly not the best for it and policies may have changed. Actually, I worked when it was still Federated Department Stores, Inc. and I'm now seeing that all the divisions' have now been consolidated under Macy's Inc. as of a few years back. So it might have been a policy change. Anyways, employee discounts on top of regular coupons and sales were always the best. =D

I can't believe it's only the 2nd of September and already having a difficult time! I keep debating whether or not to get these boots for fall. I have such a hard time finding wide calf boots. And I was cleaning my closer yesterday and found out that my boots are falling apart. The soles have become unglued and have holes on them...sad I know. I just can't believe it's just the 2nd and already thinking about buying boots!!
Look up a local shoe repair shop in your area! They can do wonders and if the shaft/any leather/synthetic material is in good condition, then the soles and heels are easy to fix, and usually under 30 dollars.

I resisted temptation!!! We just got back from a big Walmart run, and I bought no nail polish!! I even went down the polish aisle looking for nail polish remover and wasn't even tempted to purchase any polish....and I ended up not buying the polish remover either. I remembered that I just bought one of those jar ones that you dip your fingers in to try it out and I haven't even opened it yet. The only thing beauty related that I bought was some shave gel for my boyfriend and myself, but they were free with the coupons I had, so I'm not counting those as a fail on my no buy. We are stocked up on shave gel for a good long while now.

One weird thing that I've found helps me with not getting stuff *right now*:  Instead of looking at Sephora or blogs to see what's new *now* (new stuff is my downfall, after all), I spent last night looking at the *upcoming* collections.  They're not available now, so I don't have the option of buying them even if I want to -- and I can make a list of things to look for in a month or two, and then by that time, I might be so bored with them that I'll be moving on to the spring stuff to come instead of buying the holiday stuff I had been obsessing about.  Then when spring rolls around, I start looking at summer stuff, and so on throughout the year.  It's what happened with many previous collections before, like the China Glaze holos earlier this year, the stila stuff this summer, and the tarte Aqualillies collection whenever it came out.  It seems bizarre, but I find that it breaks the "Ooh, shiny and new!  Must have NAO!" drive that results in impulse purchases.

August ended up being 100% successful for me in terms of no-buy and I'm inspired to continue on - at least with low-buy for rest of year. I just did an inventory of everything I have and basically, I won't *need* any face or body products until roughly 2018! I do want to round out my makeup collection a little more - I'm relatively new to the loving makeup thing. I have thebalm's nude tude palette in my birchbox cart right now. I've been wanting it forever so it won't be an impulse/stress buy. Great job on all of your goals, ladies. This is such an inspiring thread!!

Latest posts

Back