September 2013 - No Buy/ Low Buy Support Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First I would like to say GREAT JOB, for the weight losses. I too struggle with my weight and I recently lost over 25 pounds, but it is now creeping back on. I am a stress/emotional eater and my mom is having some health issues.

I think the reasons I buy makeup are self esteem, curiosity (I love trying new things) and also boredom. It has become like a hobby to me. I need to go back to crafting, which is a much more productive and cheaper (for the most part) hobby.

I didn't really get into makeup until my 40s, so I'm a pretty darn late bloomer myself. I started out by watching gurus on YouTube and trying techniques and products that they recommended and it just kind of exploded from there.

I have always enjoyed shopping, all my life, but I used to shop, but not buy. Now I'm out of hand. I need to shop my stash and stop adding to it. For me shopping has become almost like the thrill of the hunt and the high of the elusive "good deal." I can justify almost any purchase by "it was a good deal" or "it was on sale."

I have tried a low/no buy before and never succeeded. I am committed to success this time. I went way off the deep end in August. I may even cancel my Ipsy subscription because they are just too irritating lately.

Originally Posted by jrenee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Next time you're tempted to shop for polishes, try re-categorizing or reorganizing your polish collection.  I do this with my samples whenever I'm tempted to buy on Sephora, and most recently's Bondi's second box.  I'm doing good so far.    
That is a really good idea. This weekend I am going to make a spreadsheet on what I have. I am also going to purge a bunch of stuff. I have not wanted to see how much I have, but I think the reality of facing it and also having to get rid of a bunch of it will help keep me in check.

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

sigh. so someone posted about a deborah lippman sale (50% off)... i already completely failed this month, so maybe I should just go ahead since I've always wanted to try DL. On the other hand, as I've said, I have way too much nail polish I really really really don't need.
I wish I didn't see this..... Her glitter polishes are a pain in the butt to remove though.

I am ready to jump on the no buy bandwagon for September!!  I just sold my condo and I now only have the bills I pay at my boyfriend's house (phone, dish and internet) and my car payment and cell phone.  I have a credit card bill that I want to make a big dent in because we want to buy a house in the next 6-8 months and I want that bill gone (or as low as possible) when we do.  I don't want to go on a crazy spending spree just because I have no more house payment. 

So all that being said, here are my no buy rules for September:

Only my Glitter Guilty sub and nail polish circular swap are allowed, NO OTHER new nail polish purchases at all.  I have far too many untried polished to justify any more.  I will "shop from my stash" every time I get the urge to buy a new polish.  I already skipped Julep for August and will skip during the Sept window as well.  I have a grab bag coming that I already purchased, so that doesn't count in my no polish buy for September, since it was paid for in August.

I have a ton of samples, so I want to get through as many of those as possible this month. 

I may not purchase anything I have spares of, which is almost everything.  Right now most of my stash is in my boyfriend's basement behind ALL of the stuff from my condo.  So, during September, part of my no buy includes making my way to my spare items so I don't have to buy replacements for things I know I have. 

I'm going to keep it simple for my no buy this month, so that's all I'm going to put on myself.

Here's to a good September!!

Quote:Originally Posted by ButterflyGrl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

p>

I think the reasons I buy makeup are self esteem, curiosity (I love trying new things) and also boredom. It has become like a hobby to me. I need to go back to crafting, which is a much more productive and cheaper (for the most part) hobby.

I have always enjoyed shopping, all my life, but I used to shop, but not buy. Now I'm out of hand. I need to shop my stash and stop adding to it. For me shopping has become almost like the thrill of the hunt and the high of the elusive "good deal." I can justify almost any purchase by "it was a good deal" or "it was on sale."

This is so me. I tend to "buy" when I'm stressed out/bored and when I'm not feeling all that great about myself. Since getting into my first "serious" relationship in 3 years, I've put on about 20 lbs in the last couple years. I feel like I find myself gravitating to things that I think will "make me beautiful". Something to make me feel better about myself. A few years ago, I lived in a different state where I knew literally no one. I would find myself impulse shopping because I had "nothing else to do". I would go out on a weekend and spend HUNDREDS of dollars on clothes, shoes, purses, makeup, etc. I got to where I realized I love the thrill of buying, but I never actually used what I bought. So I gave myself a rule. I would buy it and put it in my closet with the receipt for one week. A week later, I would look at it/try it on and if I didn't like it anymore I would return it and get my money back. About 80% of the time I returned what I bought. So yea, for me it really comes down to boredom, feeling like I'm getting a great "deal", and my days of low self esteem. womp. womp.

There have been studies that have found that finding new things when -- like a new pair of shoes in a certain favorite color -- triggers a release of either dopamine or serotonin (can't recall which one).  Shopping is literally physically addictive in this way, just like cocaine (it triggers the release of the exact same chemical, which is a major part of the high you get when you do coke).  The problem happens when we impulse-purchase those happy-making items.  This makes us think that the buying is the thing that makes us happy when it's actually just seeing new things.  

Anyway.  I have two things to get before my low-buy kicks in:  A new tube of bb cream (I'm not sure whether the current one will last a month) and a certain nail polish set (order tomorrow, receive in a couple of weeks).  I'm currently leaning towards banning even swaps.  I have more than enough stuff to get through right now, although I'm thinking I might have to add "wine cream blush" to my list of allowed items.  I started the year with precisely zero blushes, and I've been acquiring them according to the way the seasons make me crave certain colors, which means I have nothing autumnal or wintery.  But I can hold off for a while -- at least until after I get my sub boxes, just in case one of them decides to send just the right shade out.

Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif

sigh. so someone posted about a deborah lippman sale (50% off)... i already completely failed this month, so maybe I should just go ahead since I've always wanted to try DL. On the other hand, as I've said, I have way too much nail polish I really really really don't need.
Stay strong and don't cave!!! I saw that post too! I looked around on the website, thought about what I was about to do, and immediately clicked out of it! We can resist! 
smile.gif

I caved. I'm somewhat disappointed with myself? 4 of the 7 i bought will be squirreled away as a christmas present for my sister. i also found a coupon and thought about it for like 6 hours (class + other activities) before buying. I guess this counts as ruining August rather than September though right? That being said, I know I can make it through September after making it this far in August!

Stay strong and don't cave!!! I saw that post too! I looked around on the website, thought about what I was about to do, and immediately clicked out of it! We can resist! 
smile.gif

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There have been studies that have found that finding new things when -- like a new pair of shoes in a certain favorite color -- triggers a release of either dopamine or serotonin (can't recall which one).  Shopping is literally physically addictive in this way, just like cocaine (it triggers the release of the exact same chemical, which is a major part of the high you get when you do coke).  The problem happens when we impulse-purchase those happy-making items.  This makes us think that the buying is the thing that makes us happy when it's actually just seeing new things.  

Anyway.  I have two things to get before my low-buy kicks in:  A new tube of bb cream (I'm not sure whether the current one will last a month) and a certain nail polish set (order tomorrow, receive in a couple of weeks).  I'm currently leaning towards banning even swaps.  I have more than enough stuff to get through right now, although I'm thinking I might have to add "wine cream blush" to my list of allowed items.  I started the year with precisely zero blushes, and I've been acquiring them according to the way the seasons make me crave certain colors, which means I have nothing autumnal or wintery.  But I can hold off for a while -- at least until after I get my sub boxes, just in case one of them decides to send just the right shade out.
I agree with you on that study! It's definitely the shopping high that makes me feel happy when I'm having a rough day.I'm trying my best to resist it and focus on other things instead. It's tough!!

I'm planning to start a gratitude journal soon. Just a little line or two each day of what I'm thankful/happy for that day, just to keep things in perspective, and help me channel my energy into something positive. I think it's a nice way to focus on what you're thankful for, and all of the blessings in your life. Maybe everytime I'm tempted to shop, I'll have to read the journal first, to remind myself of all I'm blessed with already and what I really need/do not need.  
smile.gif

In a side note, A BB cream was on my list for my approved September low-buy. Since you need one, (not sure which brand you use) it may be worth mentioning that I got mine off of Missha's website the other day during their sale. I'm down to the last tiny bit from the bottle of BB cream I got in a Glossybox last year. I was waiting until a sale to re-order;s o glad I did! Maybe you could try one of theirs that's on sale if it agrees with your skin! As far as blushes go, maybe you could try a little color mixology, and try mixing some of the blushes/bronzers/shadows you already have together, to come up with fun new shades to wear.
heart.gif

Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I caved. I'm somewhat disappointed with myself? 4 of the 7 i bought will be squirreled away as a christmas present for my sister. i also found a coupon and thought about it for like 6 hours (class + other activities) before buying. I guess this counts as ruining August rather than September though right?

That being said, I know I can make it through September after making it this far in August!
September is a fresh start! 
wink.gif

I had issues with my August no-buy too (got really stressed out over medical stuff), so for September, I'm trying a low-buy instead and I made a really specific list of what I could/couldn't have after I went through my things. I'm hoping a more detailed list will remind me of exactly what I don't need, and what I can purchase, so I stay on track! Maybe try writing a more detailed list so you stay on track! 
smile.gif

Originally Posted by tnorth1852 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This is so me. I tend to "buy" when I'm stressed out/bored and when I'm not feeling all that great about myself. Since getting into my first "serious" relationship in 3 years, I've put on about 20 lbs in the last couple years. I feel like I find myself gravitating to things that I think will "make me beautiful". Something to make me feel better about myself. A few years ago, I lived in a different state where I knew literally no one. I would find myself impulse shopping because I had "nothing else to do". I would go out on a weekend and spend HUNDREDS of dollars on clothes, shoes, purses, makeup, etc. I got to where I realized I love the thrill of buying, but I never actually used what I bought. So I gave myself a rule. I would buy it and put it in my closet with the receipt for one week. A week later, I would look at it/try it on and if I didn't like it anymore I would return it and get my money back. About 80% of the time I returned what I bought. So yea, for me it really comes down to boredom, feeling like I'm getting a great "deal", and my days of low self esteem. womp. womp.
I love your idea of saving receipts;I wish I would have done that all along! Also, congratulations on your new relationship! 
heart.gif

smile.gif
I did the same! I had a cart full of polish. I thought to myself "do I NEED this or do I WANT it because its a good deal"... I ultimately closed the browser and went to bed. Victory will be mineeeeee!!!!

I love your idea of saving receipts;I wish I would have done that all along! Also, congratulations on your new relationship! 
heart.gif
Thank you!! Two years in and going strong! Just wish that comfort weight hadn't come with my awesome man! Hahaha

Thank you!! Two years in and going strong! Just wish that comfort weight hadn't come with my awesome man! Hahaha
I totally agree with you! And you don't even realize it until you can't fit into your clothes. And then you tell your significant other that you gained weight and they tell you that you look amazing and they will love you regardless. But you know inside that you have to do something about it. I recently starting going to walk after dinner. I try to go for an hour and I can already tell that I feel better. I may no look how I want to look but I feel like I can breath when I walk rather then losing my breath.

Quote:Originally Posted by skylola123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I totally agree with you! And you don't even realize it until you can't fit into your clothes. And then you tell your significant other that you gained weight and they tell you that you look amazing and they will love you regardless. But you know inside that you have to do something about it.
I recently starting going to walk after dinner. I try to go for an hour and I can already tell that I feel better. I may no look how I want to look but I feel like I can breath when I walk rather then losing my breath.

This! I tell him I've gained weight and he says "no you haven't, you're just as beautiful as you've ever been..." and I'm like well.... i'm gonna have to be beautiful in a bigger size because my jeans won't button!! I'm working my low buy (hopefully no buy) to save money -- one of the things I'm planning on paying for is weight watchers. Hopefully that'll get me back on the straight and narrow! I should probably start walking when I get home, too! I wish I was an early bird and could walk in the mornings. I do good to get to work on time!

I stepped on the scale this morning for the first time in about a month. I had been on a really strict diet and had lost over 25 pounds, but still had more to go. I had to go off of the diet for a while and have been trying to just maintain the weight loss and take a break from losing. Kind of let my body make a set point at this weight. Well with my mom having some pretty major health issues right now I have been doing some stress eating. Anyway....I was surprised and pleased that I had only gained 4 pounds. BUT I have to stop this because 4 pound gain can be a slippery slope and before I know it the 25 will be back.

Anyway, not makeup related at all, but we had been discussing weight and stress shopping and stress eating.

Quote:Originally Posted by ButterflyGrl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I stepped on the scale this morning for the first time in about a month. I had been on a really strict diet and had lost over 25 pounds, but still had more to go. I had to go off of the diet for a while and have been trying to just maintain the weight loss and take a break from losing. Kind of let my body make a set point at this weight. Well with my mom having some pretty major health issues right now I have been doing some stress eating. Anyway....I was surprised and pleased that I had only gained 4 pounds. BUT I have to stop this because 4 pound gain can be a slippery slope and before I know it the 25 will be back.

Anyway, not makeup related at all, but we had been discussing weight and stress shopping and stress eating.

Don't do what I do... I tend to be like ohhhhh i ate a cheeseburger and didn't gain a pound... I'm gonna eat five more. haha. You're right, though. It just tends to creep up. It started at 5 for me, and that five quickly turned into 15! Stay focused on your goals! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> And I hope your mom gets to feeling better. I think the worst thing in the world is a sick parent! Side note: I had a cart full of DebLipp polishes AGAIN and didn't buy. Whew. I think I'm getting great practice at "Just Say No".

ok im  like  that person who is going to quit drinking,,,,, im having one last  drinking binge lol  but does  spending 16 dollars online at Sephora  count as a binge. Im no longer a Sephora virgin,. I had  to have the Hello Kitty mirror compact... it was 10 bucks I have  waited  forever for it  then it went out of stock plus I got my birthday thing and 2 samples some how I lost a sample oh well. Im done. Ipsy is my only planned purchase for September. I got my cheapy beauty blender finally in the mail so that was a nice surprise. Does anyone forget they order stuff?

I'm going to commit to a low buy for September. I can only replace what I run out of completely. If I have any type of replacement for it I can't buy a new one. I can also spend $50 for my bday but that's it. No other spending. I'm trying to save up to go live abroad for a while and I need to stop spending so much on cosmetics, especially because it can't all come with me when I leave. I think I'm also going to try to keep all of my empties this month so I can see how much I actually use.

Originally Posted by tnorth1852 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Don't do what I do... I tend to be like ohhhhh i ate a cheeseburger and didn't gain a pound... I'm gonna eat five more. haha. You're right, though. It just tends to creep up. It started at 5 for me, and that five quickly turned into 15! Stay focused on your goals! :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> And I hope your mom gets to feeling better. I think the worst thing in the world is a sick parent! Side note: I had a cart full of DebLipp polishes AGAIN and didn't buy. Whew. I think I'm getting great practice at "Just Say No".
You're doing great! Stay strong! I know you can do it!

Thanks, she's all I have and I am not ready to lose her. Not that you're ever ready. We are having a brain scan later today to see if we can figure out what is going on.

And yes, I have to make sure I don't fall into that trap, it would be easy to say, "Oh I've been stress eating and ONLY 4 pounds, so I can keep doing it!"

Back