September 2013 - No Buy/ Low Buy Support Thread

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't forget that a lot of these groups even more desperately need stuff year-round! People tend to save stuff to donate around the holidays, but shelters and crisis facilities are not seasonal services. In fact, most of them need things even more outside of the holidays because donations aren't typically as forthcoming the rest of the year.

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't forget that a lot of these groups even more desperately need stuff year-round! People tend to save stuff to donate around the holidays, but shelters and crisis facilities are not seasonal services. In fact, most of them need things even more outside of the holidays because donations aren't typically as forthcoming the rest of the year.
That's a very good point. Once I get the stuff boxed up I will look into this. I know of a teen shelter in our area that might really appreciate some personal care items like that.

Originally Posted by ButterflyGrl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I need to do an inventory. Maybe a super OCD one on an Excel spreadsheet. Truthfully, I'm almost afraid to know how much stuff I have! LOL
I inventoried mine last night, and I didn't realize how much I had. I kind of thought it, but seeing hard core numbers really proved I can't be buying like this permanently. I'm OK financially, but still I could use it on other bigger things like a trip, buy a big item or put it towards student loans. Also, I don't have the storage for much more. 

I'm going on a low buy for September. 

--I can only buy from Ulta's 21 Days of Beauty sale if it does go on this month, but I think it does. 

--Can buy a z palette. Been wanting another one for better storage and usage.

Otherwise low buy this month. My main problem is just buying too much makeup. 

Not allowed:

- Everything. I have too much everything. This is shameful

- Especially nail polish

Allowed:

- paying for Sephora flash

- getting samples from Sephora flash with $1 orders XD (but no more than $10!)

Goals:

- The new Google Nexus phone is going to come out (eeeh!) actually the Nexus 4 just was put on sale for $100 off -- so the news is coming soon! I paid full price ($550 u__u) for my phone and I've had it for 3 years so it's definitely time for an unlocked upgrade

- My computer is starting to freak out. This is especially bad because I work-work on my computer. As a graphic designer/web developer so. I actually need a functioning computer. That's at least $500+

- Save for a camera lens! I've impressively saved up $90 in Amazon gift cards so I can eventually get a camera lens for a super discount ^__^ Still trying to decide what I want...

- Save for a vacation. I've basically not had a proper break in like... more than a year.

How I'm doing/did:

- AHAHAHA even though I started the Aug No/Low buy thread, I dropped something like $125 last month with the Sephora sale, my Enchanted polish order, random splurges on BB.com and Marshall's... Sigh.

- I managed to avoid the Hautelook bags and a bunch of Julep sales... good riddance.

I inventoried mine last night, and I didn't realize how much I had. I kind of thought it, but seeing hard core numbers really proved I can't be buying like this permanently. I'm OK financially, but still I could use it on other bigger things like a trip, buy a big item or put it towards student loans. Also, I don't have the storage for much more.  I'm going on a low buy for September.  --I can only buy from Ulta's 21 Days of Beauty sale if it does go on this month, but I think it does.  --Can buy a z palette. Been wanting another one for better storage and usage. Otherwise low buy this month. My main problem is just buying too much makeup. 
Makeup is hard for me to pass up. There is always something newer or prettier or longer lasting or just something I didn't know existed or something I wanted at a sale price. But this is why I am only allowing purchase of replacement items if there is no other option in September. I want more, but I just flat out don't need it. I hope I can stay strong!!

I want flash (cry cry cry) but I KNOW I'm going to do a TON of tiny purchases and next thing you know I would've spent $100 on 100 of those shower caps and have 300 samples of god knows what. 0.0 I'm with you on the "everything" is not allowed front. I spent $12 on BB last month to get 2 shampoo deals and I ended up spending $20 on a purchase from a MUT member - 3 lip tars for $20 though! You all know i wanted 'em! WE GOT THIS! Solidarity !

Not allowed: - Everything. I have too much everything. This is shameful - Especially nail polish Allowed: - paying for Sephora flash - getting samples from Sephora flash with $1 orders XD (but no more than $10!)

I found myself looking at sephora's website on my lunch. Just habit. I can see I have a huge problem!!!

Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want flash (cry cry cry) but I KNOW I'm going to do a TON of tiny purchases and next thing you know I would've spent $100 on 100 of those shower caps and have 300 samples of god knows what. 0.0

I'm with you on the "everything" is not allowed front. I spent $12 on BB last month to get 2 shampoo deals and I ended up spending $20 on a purchase from a MUT member - 3 lip tars for $20 though! You all know i wanted 'em!

WE GOT THIS! Solidarity !

Quote: Originally Posted by Kyuu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not allowed:

- Everything. I have too much everything. This is shameful

- Especially nail polish

Allowed:

- paying for Sephora flash

- getting samples from Sephora flash with $1 orders XD (but no more than $10!)
You can resell the samples you don't want on ebay to make a profit!! XD

What I really really need to do is clean up. I've moved....about 4 times in the last year (since June of last year). I'm not even joking. This is the first time all of my stuff and I have been in the same place since I graduated high school and went to college. My parents also moved so all my stuff is just SOMEWHERE in the house rather than coming back to a room. So I need to organize my clothes, rearrange my stuff, an hopefully figure out how much makeup I really have. Or at least have a system for it. Looks like those birchboxes are going to come in handy!

You can resell the samples you don't want on ebay to make a profit!! XD
Okay, this is what I *really* want to do with all of my random stuff (lots of stuff from Allure boxes I'll never use!), but I have problems getting bids or even views. This is clearly because I'm not using good terms for listings. Any advice on how to word listings? ETA: Another one of my goals is to empty The Bin (yes, both words are capitalized here). The Bin is a big clear Rubbermaid bin where all of my swap/sales items are kept. It *just* fits in one of the cubes in an IKEA shelving unit, and it's full. I should actually be selling stuff rather than swapping right now. I guess I'll work on getting all of that stuff listed on eBay this weekend.

Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Okay, this is what I *really* want to do with all of my random stuff (lots of stuff from Allure boxes I'll never use!), but I have problems getting bids or even views. This is clearly because I'm not using good terms for listings. Any advice on how to word listings?
most people selling large samplers usually list BIRCHBOX IPSY GLOSSYBOX JULEP SEPHORA in their titles. It'll at least attract views since it has the keyword. Just make sure to throw a few of those items in the box too. 

I went crazy my birthday month. My September goal is to do a low-buy.

My absolute low/no-buys for September:

-Basically everything.

And I cancelled my second Birchbox - it hurts because both of my boxes were good this month.

Allowed (5 item maximum):

-Holiday sets (if they come out)

-Sale/coupon items (if it's at least 20% off)

Goals:

-Invent new looks with palettes that I already have.

-Do not walk through the beauty section at Target.

-Remind myself that there are things that I need, and things that are just nice to have.

-Avoid beauty blogs.

Originally Posted by saycrackagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That made me laugh!
I can't walk through the beauty section without grabbing stuff, especially since my Target ALWAYS has stuff on clearance.

Okay, this is what I *really* want to do with all of my random stuff (lots of stuff from Allure boxes I'll never use!), but I have problems getting bids or even views. This is clearly because I'm not using good terms for listings. Any advice on how to word listings? ETA: Another one of my goals is to empty The Bin (yes, both words are capitalized here). The Bin is a big clear Rubbermaid bin where all of my swap/sales items are kept. It *just* fits in one of the cubes in an IKEA shelving unit, and it's full. I should actually be selling stuff rather than swapping right now. I guess I'll work on getting all of that stuff listed on eBay this weekend.
Maybe try the terms "lot" or "mix" if you want to sell in bulk. I think those words convey "deals" to the buyers. So something like "Large Mix of Subscription Box Skincare Cosmetics Samples Ipsy, Birchbox, etc" Something like that, haha. :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

I found myself looking at sephora's website on my lunch. Just habit. I can see I have a huge problem!!!
I did the same thing. And I feel like the whole time I was there I was thinking "hmmmm... What can I buy??" Ugh. Note: I bought nothing. Thank God.

I did the same thing. And I feel like the whole time I was there I was thinking "hmmmm... What can I buy??" Ugh. Note: I bought nothing. Thank God.
I was looking at the sale things and thinking that very same thing...I bought nothing am proud to say! We are standing strong!!!!!

Originally Posted by ButterflyGrl /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote: Originally Posted by tnorth1852 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was looking at the sale things and thinking that very same thing...I bought nothing am proud to say! We are standing strong!!!!!

I usually go onto Sephora site a few times a day and I haven't been tempted by anything so far in the last month.  The last time I made a purchase, it's because there was a points sale and I picked up a few items that I didn't have already.  I think they'll get me again next time they have nice makeup sets for sale.  

Originally Posted by tnorth1852 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Same here. I looked around the site and couldn't find one thing that I felt like I needed to buy. Lol that's a good thing.

I usually go onto Sephora site a few times a day and I haven't been tempted by anything so far in the last month.  The last time I made a purchase, it's because there was a points sale and I picked up a few items that I didn't have already.  I think they'll get me again next time they have nice makeup sets for sale.  
They are good at sending those enticing emails. They got me with the points and then the VIB bag.

I was also on Sephora today, lol. What is it about that site?! I was good...I bought a couple of gifts (I love Christmas shopping early) and then picked up some samples that I will use for stocking stuffers. 

Back