RenoFab

Birchbox April 2014 - SPOILERS

Lol!! Mindy kaling will always be Kelly kapoor to me. I can't help but read some of your posts in Kelly's voice it's like I can't help it it just happens!!
I've been feeling nostalgic and watching reruns of The Office lately, I loved her character and her everlasting love for Ryan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyllis View Post

Here's box 34:

The Sumita eyeliner is the plum; I've only tried it on my hand so far but it's really, really nice. It's a softer look than black.

The polish is Gold Struck. I wanted the blue or green, but now that I see this, I like it a lot, and I think I'll get more use out of it than I would the pastels. If you got the Top Shelf CC sample a few months back, it's very similar to that, with maybe a bit of a pink tone.

I'm dying to try the Davines samples, I'm crazy about their sea salt spray.

Love the scent of the G&S body wash, it's very beachy.

The last couple of BBs have been very 'me'. Love my Birchbox! biggrin.gif

Gah, that's my box.  If it's a little like Top Shelf (which was just a shade off of Put a Pin in It), bummer.  I really wanted the blue, too.  Which means I'm totally going to end up buying the collection.  Regardless, I can't wait to get my box, super excited for the body wash and the eyeliner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyKaye View Post

I've been feeling nostalgic and watching reruns of The Office lately, I loved her character and her everlasting love for Ryan.

dude! their love story is timeless.

• Like 1

OMG!! I was using the BP oil on my hair and my forehead(I have heavy bangs) completely broke out... I ran out of my sample a week or do ago so I stopped using it and my forehead has cleared up!!! Didn't even think it could have to do with the BP!! ETA: that read like I used the BP on my forehead lol I did not... I used it on my bangs, which lay on my forehead. Carry on... :)
Guys! I think it's been making me breakout too, I've been breaking out in weird places, like on the sides of my face near my sideburn (do girls refer to the, as sideburns, idk) area and on my forehead, I've never gotten acne there. Usually I get hormonal acne on my chin... Also around my hairline had broken out too, like on my neck and behind my ears, it's been really concerning for me because I didn't know what the hell was causing it. Maybe we've got the answer...
Oh no! Beauty Protector epidemic! :( It makes me sad because it was awesome for my hair. I've been using the Number 4 comb and protect or whatever and it seems to work well too. It doesn't smell as pretty but I like the way it makes my hair feel.
The silicones in hair products make a lot of people break out. Birchbox has the BP Spray ingredients on the website. Amodimethicone and Cyclodimethicone are both forms of silicone. It's been about a year since I discovered they make me breakout. Even water-soluble forms of silicone are a problem because I'm washing my face before I get out of the shower and spray detangler on my hair, not after. I'm still trying to cut them out of my routine, but it's hard because so many conditioners, detanglers, and even shampoos contain some form of silicone. ETA: I just wish I wasn't so prone to breakouts, but there's been a big difference since I started trying to use fewer products with silicones.
ahhhhh me too!!! i love her! Re: BP breakouts. I'm pretty sure it was breaking me out too/causing some hidden scalp-zits (ick). I haven't been using anything in my hair besides shampoo/conditioner and my scalp is pimple free. I took a break from BP because my sample size ran out and i was waiting on a big bottle..now i feel like i should return it!
I've recently had scalp pimples too...and I've also been using the beauty protect. I guess I need to stop and see if that helps
This is so crazy! I'm so glad @AshJs3 brought it up. I'm so upset though. My face was finally clearing up after 3 months of new ocp breakouts. Ugggh! Edit: is there anything else in it that could cause breakouts? I don't normally have a problem with silicones...at least, I don't think I do....

Is it the beauty protector shampoo and conditioner y'all are talking about? I used that crap once and tossed it because I just hated the way my hair reacted to it. I've been using the spray for months with no problem though!

omg guys got one of my boxes yay! and this is the one that shipped later on the 9th not the one shipped on the 4th

the Sumita eyeliner is AMAZING goes on sooo smooth and soft, does not smudge... i even had it on my waterline for 3-4 hours while i was at work and during my time at work, i had to crawl around the floor and look under shelves and got TONS of nasty dirt/dust kicked up and made my eyes water like crazy... im going to buy all of them

• Like 1

Random question, is it often that the items in your box listed online change? Half of the box items are different now. I've only been subscribed for a few months and I have never seen this before. Of course, I have not received my box yet to confirm, but odd! Messing up a trade I had so I was just curious if in the future I should not go on what is listed online. Thanks!
It's not typical. I'm wrapping up my third year this month, and I've had up to four accounts at various times, and it has never happened to me. But I received a completely different box than what was listed on my account one time something like two years ago, and I do not set up swaps before my box is in-hand as a direct result. A box is not final until I actually have it. They have different ways of dealing with non-matching boxes, and you never know how it's going to be handled this time around.

It's not typical. I'm wrapping up my third year this month, and I've had up to four accounts at various times, and it has never happened to me. But I received a completely different box than what was listed on my account one time something like two years ago, and I do not set up swaps before my box is in-hand as a direct result. A box is not final until I actually have it. They have different ways of dealing with non-matching boxes, and you never know how it's going to be handled this time around.
Oh I know I shouldn't trade until in hand, I just seem to get my box on the later part of the shipments. Lesson learned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawaiimeows View Post

Is it the beauty protector shampoo and conditioner y'all are talking about? I used that crap once and tossed it because I just hated the way my hair reacted to it. I've been using the spray for months with no problem though!

Ditto. I use the spray AND the oil, and I've never been happier with my hair. (and my face... not that BP is responsible for my clear complexion lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trustlust View Post

Ditto. I use the spray AND the oil, and I've never been happier with my hair. (and my face... not that BP is responsible for my clear complexion lol)

my hair has never been better than when i used the oil. i can't wait to get my hands on a full size soon.

B&P has an oil? Right now I'm using amika oil and it has changed my hair for the better. I love it. Off to check the b&P one out.

For me it was the spray. I also had breakouts when I used the oil, but I assumed it was still the new birth control. I ran out of the oil a couple of weeks ago, and my skin started looking much better. Until yesterday which was the day after I used the bp spray. Can't say for sure it was the spray, but it's in areas where my hair hits my face so I'm going to try not using it.

The spray for me. I loved it too and it hurts my heart that it's doing this. I will also use this post to plug the Amika Hair Mask. It's amazing! I will never let it go!
  • Like 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshJs3 View Post

The spray for me. I loved it too and it hurts my heart that it's doing this.

I will also use this post to plug the Amika Hair Mask. It's amazing! I will never let it go!

funny how different everyones hair is... the Amika knotted my hair up sooooo bad when i used it.... and i always comb through my hair when i have conditioner in it and i couldnt get it through at all

FYI- the SFBB100 code is back to 100 points (at least for me). I used it fine this afternoon for 2 of my other accounts to get the 200, finally got around to using it for my third tonight and that's when I saw I only got 100. Good luck to anyone else trying it!

• Like 1

So I was just trying to find some common ingredients between the BP and Yes to Carrots -- Cocamidopropyl betaine

In fact, it was named the 2004 Allergen of the Year by the American Contact Dermatitis Foundation (Which apparently exists!!).  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocamidopropyl_betaine  

I was reading through the comments to this post on NMDL: http://nomoredirtylooks.com/2012/05/do-you-use-the-yes-to-lines/

Someone commented that they have scalp breakouts when Sh/C contains too much of this ingredient.  Anyways, might not be it, but it might be something you all are allergic too!

• Like 3

My bb points are burning a hole in my pocket!! If I just wait a few months I'll have so much more!! How do y'all stand it?!?

• Like 1

Does anyone know if you can use the mobile20 code more than once?
Unless something has changed recently, it's a one-time thing unfortunately.
  • Like 1

So I was just trying to find some common ingredients between the BP and Yes to Carrots -- Cocamidopropyl betaine In fact, it was named the 2004 Allergen of the Year by the American Contact Dermatitis Foundation (Which apparently exists!!).  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocamidopropyl_betaine   I was reading through the comments to this post on NMDL: http://nomoredirtylooks.com/2012/05/do-you-use-the-yes-to-lines/ Someone commented that they have scalp breakouts when Sh/C contains too much of this ingredient.  Anyways, might not be it, but it might be something you all are allergic too!
I hope this isn't the case. I bought the yes to carrots and yes to blueberries shampoo and conditioner back when they were having the $2 everything sale. I just haven't gotten around to using them yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayEss View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerneko View Post

Does anyone know if you can use the mobile20 code more than once?
Unless something has changed recently, it's a one-time thing unfortunately.

Alas! I'm trying to find a way to split a large order to get two pick 2s when they come back into stock, but I only have the one code. 

Alas! I'm trying to find a way to split a large order to get two pick 2s when they come back into stock, but I only have the one code. 
Try an anniversary code. Sometimes they work even when they are supposed to be expired. 20% codes sometimes come out otherwise too, but I'd bet they won't release one until their warehouse move is over with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshJs3 View Post

The spray for me. I loved it too and it hurts my heart that it's doing this.

I will also use this post to plug the Amika Hair Mask. It's amazing! I will never let it go!

That's unfortunate :[[[[

That just goes to show, beauty products with everyone differently. It's fascinating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camel11 View Post

So I was just trying to find some common ingredients between the BP and Yes to Carrots -- Cocamidopropyl betaine

In fact, it was named the 2004 Allergen of the Year by the American Contact Dermatitis Foundation (Which apparently exists!!).  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cocamidopropyl_betaine  

I was reading through the comments to this post on NMDL: http://nomoredirtylooks.com/2012/05/do-you-use-the-yes-to-lines/

Someone commented that they have scalp breakouts when Sh/C contains too much of this ingredient.  Anyways, might not be it, but it might be something you all are allergic too!

WOW!!! THANK YOU. i wonder if Gloss Moderne's high gloss shampoo also has these ingredients?

Yes to made my hair REALLY flat and gross looking. My scalp was ALWAYS itchy, flaky, and dry and it broke out often in really large, painful hurty zits..thank god hair covered that up though. What sucks is that I *bought* that shampoo and conditioner for the purpose of curing the problems of the Gloss Moderne. 

BP spray and oil make my hair look really nice and healthy and soooo soft. I love it. BUT! I never use it on my scalp/hairline (that's reserved for Bumble and Bumble Tonic spray). I have a feeling that my scalp does get angry if I get BP spray on it... so I should either be extra careful or just return it..boooo.

EDIT: gloss moderne high gloss shampoo has -- Lauramidopropyl Betaine and Cocamidopropyl Hydroxysultaine, Cocamidopropylamine Oxide, .. they sound similar! is it the same thing? i dont know about this stuff. 

I'm glad Trader Joe's $4 shampoo has saved me.