Birchbox April 2014 - SPOILERS

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am in dire need of an eye cream. And I was going to buy that Coola BB cream, but they were sold outt! So maybe another BB to try would be nice. Though it looks like I would be in the miniority on THAT wish :)

Quote: Originally Posted by katiecoll /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Has anyone ever gotten a 20% off code with the oh no you forgot something in your cart emails? I got one today for the first time -letsgo20- and have never seen this before! And we all know how often and how many time we get the oh no emails from them!

I've received that email at least 4 different times. When I mentioned it here last month though, I appeared to be one of the few. I think it's because I don't block any of their emails though.

Quote: Originally Posted by meaganola /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I just sorted through my hair stuff box. I can't believe how many shampoo/conditioner/leave-in treatments I have, but I still want more. No styling product, but shampoos/conditioners/masques/oils/leave-in conditioners? Yes, please!

(And I just switched to Dollar Shave Club, so watch Birchbox send out razors again!)
I gotta know - what's the catch with the Dollar Shave Club?

I've used it for a year, I don't think there is a catch! I do the every other month option which is like $6 I think for 4 razors every time. I don't even miss my Venus razors!

Quote:Originally Posted by JimmyJazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think the big catch is that they're not big brand-name cartridges, but I'm good with that as long as they're decent blades, and these are. I prefer to shave my legs with a sugar scrub (Fortune Cookie Soap makes a great one), and that stuff is hell on razor blades at the same time it gives me the smoothest shave ever. With DSC, I'm not looking at cartridges thinking, "FIVE DOLLARS! ACK! I need to make this one last until I can afford another twenty bucks for a pack of refills. I will sacrifice smoothness because I can't afford new cartridges right now." I'm thinking, "It's Tuesday! Time for a new cartridge! And I have two left, so I'll automatically get another pack in the mail in two weeks. Where's the scrub?" Added bonus: I didn't realize how annoyed I got with women's razors and their strips o' goo until I started using these and did *not* have to deal with that mess! And I'm currently on the monthly plan because I prefer to change cartridges weekly in the spring and summer -- when I can afford it. When I'm paying $15 to $20 a pack for cartridges, I'm not changing weekly, but for six bucks? Hell, yeah! I'll change to every two months starting in probably October because then I'll build up a bit of a stockpile over the winter (I start on the winter pelt around Halloween). I really probably only need six of these packs a year since it gets too cold to shave during the winter, so I *could* cancel during that time, but in this particular instance, I would rather let the sub keep on rolling through the off season so I don't have to remember to cancel/reactivate. Due to the packaging, they don't take up much space, so I have a very good storage spot if I ever get around to cleaning out the drawer with all of the bar soap I keep not throwing out even though I can't use the stuff. *If*. Small yet big word. (Didja know that razor cartridges are one of the most frequently shoplifted items in the US? This direct sales method means that customers are not paying to cover losses due to theft, and since these aren't big brands, we're also not paying for huge ad campaigns. They put out a couple of videos on their site, and people like me will point out the videos, and word of mouth will do the rest. They've placed ads on things like Yahoo, but I don't think they're paying for magazine campaigns.)

Just resubbed for April after some time away from birchbox! I'm hoping for a brightly colored lip product, blush, hand cream (I know it's the wrong season but I'm a big fan!), and a flowery perfume for Spring!

Quote: Originally Posted by allistra44 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Birchbox is opening a retail store! Interesting!

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/03/24/business/birchbox-seller-of-beauty-products-steps-out-from-web-with-a-store.html?ref=business&_r=1&referrer=
Love the idea of getting to fill your own samples box (though I think that's what they did in their pop-ups), I'm so jealous of you NYCers. Some other interesting tidbits from the article: "Only 30 percent of the company’s business today comes from full-size product sales." and "The number of subscribers has swelled to more than 800,000 (double the total last year)".

30% seems like a low figure... I wonder if they're counting points redemption in this figure.

bud.gif

I just sorted through my hair stuff box. I can't believe how many shampoo/conditioner/leave-in treatments I have, but I still want more. No styling product, but shampoos/conditioners/masques/oils/leave-in conditioners? Yes, please!

(And I just switched to Dollar Shave Club, so watch Birchbox send out razors again!)
Wait...2 things. I missed Birchbox sending out nice shaving products? I'm jealous of the guys, sometimes I feel like beauty sub boxes recognize we wash our face and our hair but neglect to notice we also shave and would appreciate nice shaving goods.But that's just me, I love a good shaving cream, and I'm sure hubby wishes I had my own.

Which blade set do you get for DSC? I've been debating on switching, but it would just be for me, hubby uses a safety razor. I tend to draw out one blade for 3-6 months with the running it along the arm trick...so I guess this would cost more, but I'm sure my legs would appreciate the monthly gift? No?

As for my wants, I really want beauty protector spray too! It's one I've seen featured nearly every month, so I guess I still have a shot!

Wait...2 things. I missed Birchbox sending out nice shaving products? I'm jealous of the guys, sometimes I feel like beauty sub boxes recognize we wash our face and our hair but neglect to notice we also shave and would appreciate nice shaving goods.But that's just me, I love a good shaving cream, and I'm sure hubby wishes I had my own. Which blade set do you get for DSC? I've been debating on switching, but it would just be for me, hubby uses a safety razor. I tend to draw out one blade for 3-6 months with the running it along the arm trick...so I guess this would cost more, but I'm sure my legs would appreciate the monthly gift? No? As for my wants, I really want beauty protector spray too! It's one I've seen featured nearly every month, so I guess I still have a shot!
Yup, Schick Hydro Silk razors (the refillable kind), with coupons for cartridges and, uh, shaving gel, I think, back in August 2012. I think it might have been their first Birchbox Find. They have also sent out Whish shaving cream, although I received blueberry. DO NOT LIKE BLUEBERRIES. As for DCS, I get the four-blade version. Four cartridges, six bucks. You can get it every other month, which I plan on doing when knee sock weather comes back. They work better for me than the brand-name ones that cost five bucks per cartridge!

Yup, Schick Hydro Silk razors (the refillable kind), with coupons for cartridges and, uh, shaving gel, I think, back in August 2012. I think it might have been their first Birchbox Find. They have also sent out Whish shaving cream, although I received blueberry. DO NOT LIKE BLUEBERRIES.

As for DCS, I get the four-blade version. Four cartridges, six bucks. You can get it every other month, which I plan on doing when knee sock weather comes back. They work better for me than the brand-name ones that cost five bucks per cartridge!
Pretty sure the Schick Hydro razors were the first BB Finds too.

I really enjoyed the Whish shaving cream scent, but I think I was in the minority.

Quote: Originally Posted by kawaiimeows /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I really enjoyed the Whish shaving cream scent, but I think I was in the minority.
Ah! Schick Hydro razors aren't terrible. I don't usually use women's razors. They don't cut a well and the lotion strips infused with whatever makes them last all of 2 or 3 uses. But I buy them when they are on sale,  and who could say no to an extra razor and shaving cream?

Now I need to go to the Birchbox Store and smell the Whish shaving cream myself. ;-)

Quote: Originally Posted by kawaiimeows /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yup, Schick Hydro Silk razors (the refillable kind), with coupons for cartridges and, uh, shaving gel, I think, back in August 2012. I think it might have been their first Birchbox Find. They have also sent out Whish shaving cream, although I received blueberry. DO NOT LIKE BLUEBERRIES.

As for DCS, I get the four-blade version. Four cartridges, six bucks. You can get it every other month, which I plan on doing when knee sock weather comes back. They work better for me than the brand-name ones that cost five bucks per cartridge!

I also loved the scent!  I wasn't totally sold on the product but I thought the scent was great.

Ah! Schick Hydro razors aren't terrible. I don't usually use women's razors. They don't cut a well and the lotion strips infused with whatever makes them last all of 2 or 3 uses. But I buy them when they are on sale,  and who could say no to an extra razor and shaving cream? Now I need to go to the Birchbox Store and smell the Whish shaving cream myself. ;-)
The DCS cartridges don't have the goo! I didn't realize how much I disliked that stuff until I started using these. As far as the Whish scent goes, my issue goes back to a particular migraine and a lemon-blueberry chicken dish. I have some pretty strong associations when it comes to scent and migraines (it runs on my mom's side of the family), so now blueberries make me heave except for rare blueberry pancake cravings (about once a year at the very most).

The DSC blades tore up my legs! I was so sad. I used the same shave gel as usual and everything. I use the Men's Gillette Mach 3 razors. Women's razors just don't work as well.

I tried shaving my legs with sugar scrub, holy crap!

It was a little abrasive at first, but damn my legs are freakin smooooooooth.  

Back