Birchbox April 2014 - SPOILERS

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I kind of would like to see birchbox do a much earlier "cut off" for resubbing or new subbing, and some how put in some sort of limit or restriction on the resub codes. I feel like a lot of this is causing the mid to late month shipping fiascos when there's a sudden influx in new boxes being ordered once people decide they like the products being sampled out. And its just getting tiring to see.

I really don't see this happening though, they just sent me an email telling me to regift my mom's sub, incentivized with a point promo code. I have a feeling they're making good $$$ off of this.

I'm really surprised they haven't put something in place to not allow canceling and immediately resubbing using a code.

I kind of would like to see birchbox do a much earlier "cut off" for resubbing or new subbing, and some how put in some sort of limit or restriction on the resub codes. I feel like a lot of this is causing the mid to late month shipping fiascos when there's a sudden influx in new boxes being ordered once people decide they like the products being sampled out. And its just getting tiring to see. I really don't see this happening though, they just sent me an email telling me to regift my mom's sub, incentivized with a point promo code. I have a feeling they're making good $$$ off of this.
I agree, eventhough I'm guilty of the late sub and re-sub this month myself.

Quote: Originally Posted by ScoutSays /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm really surprised they haven't put something in place to not allow canceling and immediately resubbing using a code.
Its a huge loophole/incentive to make new accounts - as is the cashing out points on to gift cards (a useful feature though not one that is ever relevant to me very often).

I like being able to have the cash out points as an option when I have friends/family that don't want to use points - but if things like these are what are causing an overflow of new accounts, I'd rather they just got rid of them so that there wouldn't be so much unhappiness of delays and general confusion.

Quote: Originally Posted by ScoutSays /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I don't know why they would it's making them money. They get your monthly money earlier, and those points mean you place a purchase in the shop, many times I bet people are spending more than their points, so they're getting money then as well. It may make for some customer service problems occasionally, but I'm sure it's nothing compared to the money they make on offering promos.

Just unsubbed and resubbed my secondary account for the extra 110 points. Give me all the points!! :eusa_pray:

I don't know why they would it's making them money. They get your monthly money earlier, and those points mean you place a purchase in the shop, many times I bet people are spending more than their points, so they're getting money then as well. It may make for some customer service problems occasionally, but I'm sure it's nothing compared to the money they make on offering promos.
Most companies have specials like this in place for new customers only. They write it off as a marketing expense since they are gaining customers. When a current customer cancels ONLY to resub for the points (and they would not have cancelled otherwise) the company loses one way or the other... They didn't gain a new customer who will continue to pay month after month and they gave their old customer $10. Like I said, I'm just surprised they haven't done away with it and it won't surprise me if they do in the future.

Goodness, A) I'm dying absolutely dying for April to be here so we can see what our potential goodies are and B) I don't know how much longer I can hold off on getting a second box sub. 

Can someone please lmk what the current difference would be re: points if I gifted myself a subscription versus if I just referred myself and simply signed up for a second sub? I hope that makes sense. I'm such a noob, and all you ladies seem to have these grand plans of getting so many points. =) I guess what I'm asking is, what is the best way to currently go about getting a second subscription? How long is the BB100 promo going on for?

Most companies have specials like this in place for new customers only. They write it off as a marketing expense since they are gaining customers. When a current customer cancels ONLY to resub for the points (and they would not have cancelled otherwise) the company loses one way or the other... They didn't gain a new customer who will continue to pay month after month and they gave their old customer $10. Like I said, I'm just surprised they haven't done away with it and it won't surprise me if they do in the future.
I'm pretty sure their profit margin is pretty huge on the monthly subs, their main goals are in the full price purchases. Their whole business model is pretty interesting.

Quote: Originally Posted by usofjessamerica /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  UGGGH. I TOLD MYSELF I WOULDN'T KEEP A SECOND SUB! i hate how i get roped into doing things "for the points, for the points!" when i could've taken that $10 and spent it on something else. 

i think I have $140 now in birchbox points between my two accounts.

eta: is it bad (morally, birchbox karma-ly) if i cancel my main sub and resubscribe to get 100 more points? i think i know the answer is "yes" i just want someone to confirm lol.
IMO you're just fine. I steer the straight and narrow when it comes to most things, and I wouldn't even raise my eyebrow over someone telling me they did that. It's points and you're going to make a purchase at some point in the BB shop. Honestly, I think they should be thrilled you are personally buying from the BB shop since such a small percent of their profit is made from full-size product orders. I think you should do whatever you feel good about doing. If it's going to haunt you, skip out on it. I, personally, wouldn't judge you for it. =)

Quote: Originally Posted by TippyAG /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm pretty sure their profit margin is pretty huge on the monthly subs, their main goals are in the full price purchases.

Their whole business model is pretty interesting.
I read yesterday that product purchases make up only 30% of the profit! (I think that came from the article re: BB opening a store in NYC.. so thanks for that post!) I was really surprised that the percentage is that small… But then I thought of the bazillion subscribers and how the thrill for me really is getting a box of mystery beauty love. If I find an AMAZING product, awesome. But if not, I tried new things and found things I sort of like and some I hope to never touch again lol. It gives me great exposure to things I'd never have found on my own too, regardless of how many "best of product" lists I find while looking for another HG product.

And plus, I have all the teas. ALL of them lol. I could swim in tea. I hope that has a boatload of beauty benefits bc at some time I'll tire of drinking all of them.

I'm sure the mystery of the box will be undone for me this month since I'm here and stalking the BB sign like a hawk.

I'm pretty sure their profit margin is pretty huge on the monthly subs, their main goals are in the full price purchases. Their whole business model is pretty interesting.
I read yesterday that product purchases make up only 30% of the profit! (I think that came from the article re: BB opening a store in NYC.. so thanks for that post!) I was really surprised that the percentage is that small… But then I thought of the bazillion subscribers and how the thrill for me really is getting a box of mystery beauty love. If I find an AMAZING product, awesome. But if not, I tried new things and found things I sort of like and some I hope to never touch again lol. It gives me great exposure to things I'd never have found on my own too, regardless of how many "best of product" lists I find while looking for another HG product. And plus, I have all the teas. ALL of them lol. I could swim in tea. I hope that has a boatload of beauty benefits bc at some time I'll tire of drinking all of them. I'm sure the mystery of the box will be undone for me this month since I'm here and stalking the BB sign like a hawk.
April will be my 25th month with Birchbox, and it still hasn't lost its mystery or intrigue or whatever you want to call it. I've been close to Birchbox Burnout after really crappy samples in the Winter, but I don't think I'll cancel any time soon.

Quote: Originally Posted by kawaiimeows /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Pretty sure the Schick Hydro razors were the first BB Finds too.

I really enjoyed the Whish shaving cream scent, but I think I was in the minority.
i think they were the very first find too. i love anything by whish and it's in bold as a "want" on my trade list, lol

i think they were the very first find too. i love anything by whish and it's in bold as a "want" on my trade list, lol
Lol all Whish things have sat on my trade list forrrreeeevvveerrrr. Although I got waxed once and the boutique I went to used some Whish hair inhibiting gel or something and it was fabulous!

Quote: Originally Posted by CherryCaliente /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  Goodness, A) I'm dying absolutely dying for April to be here so we can see what our potential goodies are and B) I don't know how much longer I can hold off on getting a second box sub. 

Can someone please lmk what the current difference would be re: points if I gifted myself a subscription versus if I just referred myself and simply signed up for a second sub? I hope that makes sense. I'm such a noob, and all you ladies seem to have these grand plans of getting so many points. =) I guess what I'm asking is, what is the best way to currently go about getting a second subscription? How long is the BB100 promo going on for?

You get like 30 points (1 point per dollar spent) for gifting yourself a subscription

Technically you could prolly do all 3

gift yourself the 3 month, then when you get the link for the gift sub go ahead and sign up for reoccurring sub with your referral link (prepaying for the month after the gift runs out) and use the bb100

I pretty much did that and the only thing I haven't gotten is the 50points in referral, but I figure I'll get that when the gift sub runs out and they actually charge my other card

BTW I added an $5+ to bump it up to $35 and added on a pick2 when I did the gifted sub

Just curious, I heard that if you gift a subscription that that person will get a welcome box. Is this box in addition to the monthly box or does it take the place of the first monthly box? Is it usually a good box? Thanks!

Quote: Originally Posted by wldflowur13 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Just curious, I heard that if you gift a subscription that that person will get a welcome box. Is this box in addition to the monthly box or does it take the place of the first monthly box? Is it usually a good box? Thanks!
The first box in a gift sub is a welcome box, not a regular monthly box, and it counts as one of the gift sub boxes. It usually contains a mix of samples from the past few boxes. Whether it's 'good' or not is really all up to the person who receives it.

The first box in a gift sub is a welcome box, not a regular monthly box, and it counts as one of the gift sub boxes. It usually contains a mix of samples from the past few boxes. Whether it's 'good' or not is really all up to the person who receives it.
My Welcome Box for my Gift Sub this month:
It's not bad. Just leftovers from previous months.

Quote: Originally Posted by igotmybox /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am in dire need of an eye cream. And I was going to buy that Coola BB cream, but they were sold outt! So maybe another BB to try would be nice. Though it looks like I would be in the miniority on THAT wish :)
I have a couple samples of the coola tinted moisturizer from last month. I'd be happy to send them your way. PM me your address if you're interested. :)

Goodness, A) I'm dying absolutely dying for April to be here so we can see what our potential goodies are and B) I don't know how much longer I can hold off on getting a second box sub.  Can someone please lmk what the current difference would be re: points if I gifted myself a subscription versus if I just referred myself and simply signed up for a second sub? I hope that makes sense. I'm such a noob, and all you ladies seem to have these grand plans of getting so many points. =) I guess what I'm asking is, what is the best way to currently go about getting a second subscription? How long is the BB100 promo going on for?
You get like 30 points (1 point per dollar spent) for gifting yourself a subscription Technically you could prolly do all 3 gift yourself the 3 month, then when you get the link for the gift sub go ahead and sign up for reoccurring sub with your referral link (prepaying for the month after the gift runs out) and use the bb100 I pretty much did that and the only thing I haven't gotten is the 50points in referral, but I figure I'll get that when the gift sub runs out and they actually charge my other card BTW I added an $5+ to bump it up to $35 and added on a pick2 when I did the gifted sub
If you subscribe, they charge your card immediately. I subscribed on my Gift Sub to get the 100 points with BB100 and the $10 went through the same day. Since the gift sub started in March, my intention was to basically pre-pay for June since the first 3 months are already paid for by gifting the sub.

Back