ScoutSays

Memebox Discussion - June 2014

So, I've received 8 boxes so far with the Night Care and Pore Care arriving tomorrow, and I just realized that I have never received any sort of toner in ANY of my boxes. Isn't toner sort of a big deal in Korea?  I've gotten a million face washes, creams, BBs, essences, etc...(which I love, of course), but it seems strange to me that I've never received a product that is considered one of the most important steps in Korean skincare.  Have you guys gotten any toners?

They do, but they don't call them toner.  Apparently, some essences are used like toners?  Or they are interchangeable somehow.  I read a really good Korean skincare article that mentioned that some products are called differently that what we here in the US call it.  I'll have to see if I can dig that article up, it was really good.

Here it is: http://www.skinandtonics.com/asian-skin-care-guide/

It's very informative.

• Like 4

They do, but they don't call them toner.  Apparently, some essences are used like toners?  Or they are interchangeable somehow.  I read a really good Korean skincare article that mentioned that some products are called differently that what we here in the US call it.  I'll have to see if I can dig that article up, it was really good.

Here it is: http://www.skinandtonics.com/asian-skin-care-guide/

It's very informative.

Yes, I was about to say something like this! Most of what we think of as toners in the US have cleansing/astringent properties and Korean ones are different beasts altogether.  

• Like 1

Apparently, some essences are used like toners?

Huh, interesting.  Or confusing.  I've definite read that skincare guide before, but most sites list toners and essences as separate steps.  But perhaps you're right.  I was waiting for something called either a toner, or a skin water, or water essence.

In North America, toners are usually astringent and used to clean the skin more and often bring the pH of the skin back down after washing the face. Nowadays they've branched out and many have extra things in them, like moisturizing properties, exfoliants, and so on. In Asia, toners are primarily used to add moisture and enhance the effects of later products (essences, creams, and so on), though they often do the same things as North American toners, too. 

Asian essences are what North Americans call serums (they have serums too, though. I think they're interchangable, perhaps one is stronger than the other). Ampoules are essences but supercharged (which is why they tend to come in tiny packets for huge prices). 

American style routine: cleanse -> toner -> exfoliant/acne treatment/eye cream/serum -> moisturizer/emulsion -> night cream

Asian style routine: cleanse (oil based) -> cleanse (foam based) -> toner -> eye cream -> essence/ampoule ->  emulsion -> cream (a thicker moisturizer) -> sleeping pack

• Like 4

Memebox Global #12 and Herbal Superbox #31 came out today!

Wow we are already up Superbox #31. Can't lie, i love the concepts and themes they have though :)

• Like 1

American style routine: cleanse -> toner -> exfoliant/acne treatment/eye cream/serum -> moisturizer/emulsion -> night cream

Asian style routine: cleanse (oil based) -> cleanse (foam based) -> toner -> eye cream -> essence/ampoule -> emulsion -> cream (a thicker moisturizer) -> sleeping pack

That's exactly what I was saying - that most places categorize essences as a separate step from toners, and I have yet to get anything that I would consider a toner. Lots of essences though.

• Like 1

Asian style routine: cleanse (oil based) -> cleanse (foam based) -> toner -> eye cream -> essence/ampoule ->  emulsion -> cream (a thicker moisturizer) -> sleeping pack

My mother just cannot with the number of items I slather on my face daily. I tried to tell her layering is the key, but she thinks my face is going to melt off when they all interact badly. I think she just wants me to stop buying products, haha.

• Like 3

Wow, new boxes! The herb box sounds interesting, but I'm still resisting!

I just learned Enprani owns Holika Holika. No wonder I like Holika Holika so much, haha. Enprani is so awesome.

I was interested in the herbal box until I realized it probably means a lot of essential oils, ginger, mint, etc... none of which make my face happy. Also probably no make up. Feels funny that I haven't bought any new Memeboxes in a while! Not that my wallet is complaining.

• Like 1

I've never gotten a memebox before. Do out of stock ones ever come back in stock? I'm speaking about the scent boxes in particular. I really wish I had those!

I've never gotten a memebox before. Do out of stock ones ever come back in stock? I'm speaking about the scent boxes in particular. I really wish I had those!

Keep an eye out around the time that they ship, they often end up with a few extras due to cancellations.

• Like 1

Ohhh the Bubble Pop one sounds all sorts of awesome!! I am just waiting on a resolution for my box mix up to see if I get points *rubs hands together* 

For those who have received boxes shipped standard, is it normal for a box to hang around its first US location for awhile?  My box arrived in New York four days ago and hasn't budged.

I've just had shipping tracking for milk box. Oriental and whole grain box plus the scent bundle and colour bundle and a few more boxes.? Anyone else as some of these are not till 4 July shipping. But they are on the move.

Ordered 10 boxes in the last 2 weeks and my first one (honey superbox) shipped!! I opened a new account with a different email to get 10 points, but I'm waiting to use them. After I saw spoilers for #11, I was going to use them for that but it sold out since the last time I checked.  :( I am definitely interested in the new mask and bubble pop boxes though.

• Like 1

Kind of waiting until they have specials or we get more points before i make a purchase =\ But i feel like they'll do a promotion AFTER i buy it TT_____TT

Kind of waiting until they have specials or we get more points before i make a purchase =\ But i feel like they'll do a promotion AFTER i buy it TT_____TT

Oh I know that feeling!  I have three boxes I want really badly, including the mask box.  I feel like they are either going to sell out before a promotion happens or I am going to break and buy them and THEN a promotion will happen.

• Like 2

I've just had shipping tracking for milk box. Oriental and whole grain box plus the scent bundle and colour bundle and a few more boxes.? Anyone else as some of these are not till 4 July shipping. But they are on the move.

Oh man, I hope that isn't a mistake. Please give us all the early spoilers!! I ordered the scent bundle and the oriental box but haven't gotten any shipping info (and wasn't expecting it for the next month).

Oh man, I hope that isn't a mistake. Please give us all the early spoilers!! I ordered the scent bundle and the oriental box but haven't gotten any shipping info (and want expecting it for the next month).

I got a bad feeling we are getting repeats for the scent box aka the hair perfume from 10 min box or the designer oil... I just want to try random new things tbh..

• Like 1

I got a bad feeling we are getting repeats for the scent box aka the hair perfume from 10 min box or the designer oil... I just want to try random new things tbh..

I was thinking the exact same thing.