Memebox Discussion - June 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Le sigh, I wish Meme had gotten back to me this week about what the frak I am supposed to do with the Lucky Box they shipped me instead of my Nakedbox. I mean, I definitely want the Lucky Box (YAAAAS DREAM CREAM), but I also really wanted that Nakedbox. And now they're going to be on holiday.
They still have a few more days left until the holiday, hopefully they'll deal with it before then.

So, I've received 8 boxes so far with the Night Care and Pore Care arriving tomorrow, and I just realized that I have never received any sort of toner in ANY of my boxes. Isn't toner sort of a big deal in Korea?  I've gotten a million face washes, creams, BBs, essences, etc...(which I love, of course), but it seems strange to me that I've never received a product that is considered one of the most important steps in Korean skincare.  Have you guys gotten any toners?

So, I've received 8 boxes so far with the Night Care and Pore Care arriving tomorrow, and I just realized that I have never received any sort of toner in ANY of my boxes. Isn't toner sort of a big deal in Korea? I've gotten a million face washes, creams, BBs, essences, etc...(which I love, of course), but it seems strange to me that I've never received a product that is considered one of the most important steps in Korean skincare. Have you guys gotten any toners?
I know the fermented box is supposed to have one.
They don't always label them "toner". I have one that is labeled "water" and another that says "freshener".

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I've received 8 boxes so far with the Night Care and Pore Care arriving tomorrow, and I just realized that I have never received any sort of toner in ANY of my boxes. Isn't toner sort of a big deal in Korea?  I've gotten a million face washes, creams, BBs, essences, etc...(which I love, of course), but it seems strange to me that I've never received a product that is considered one of the most important steps in Korean skincare.  Have you guys gotten any toners?
Hmmm... that IS interesting... I didn't use a toner for several years, but I recently got a sample pack from Mario Badescu that included a toner and I loved it!! Then I got a kit from somewhere... can't remember right now, that had a nice big bottle of toner and I use that everyday!! It seems to get my face cleaner than just using cleanser! It looks like they do have a toner in their store: here and here

Ohhh just got my update email on Mini Box #3...which I completely forgot I ordered lol

Should be a nice little filler between Global boxes 11 & 12 :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

They do, but they don't call them toner.  Apparently, some essences are used like toners?  Or they are interchangeable somehow.  I read a really good Korean skincare article that mentioned that some products are called differently that what we here in the US call it.  I'll have to see if I can dig that article up, it was really good.

Here it is: http://www.skinandtonics.com/asian-skin-care-guide/

It's very informative.

Last edited by a moderator:
They do, but they don't call them toner.  Apparently, some essences are used like toners?  Or they are interchangeable somehow.  I read a really good Korean skincare article that mentioned that some products are called differently that what we here in the US call it.  I'll have to see if I can dig that article up, it was really good.

Here it is: http://www.skinandtonics.com/asian-skin-care-guide/

It's very informative.
Yes, I was about to say something like this! Most of what we think of as toners in the US have cleansing/astringent properties and Korean ones are different beasts altogether.  

Apparently, some essences are used like toners?
Huh, interesting.  Or confusing.  I've definite read that skincare guide before, but most sites list toners and essences as separate steps.  But perhaps you're right.  I was waiting for something called either a toner, or a skin water, or water essence.

In North America, toners are usually astringent and used to clean the skin more and often bring the pH of the skin back down after washing the face. Nowadays they've branched out and many have extra things in them, like moisturizing properties, exfoliants, and so on. In Asia, toners are primarily used to add moisture and enhance the effects of later products (essences, creams, and so on), though they often do the same things as North American toners, too. 

Asian essences are what North Americans call serums (they have serums too, though. I think they're interchangable, perhaps one is stronger than the other). Ampoules are essences but supercharged (which is why they tend to come in tiny packets for huge prices). 

American style routine: cleanse -> toner -> exfoliant/acne treatment/eye cream/serum -> moisturizer/emulsion -> night cream

Asian style routine: cleanse (oil based) -> cleanse (foam based) -> toner -> eye cream -> essence/ampoule ->  emulsion -> cream (a thicker moisturizer) -> sleeping pack

Memebox Global #12 and Herbal Superbox #31 came out today!

Wow we are already up Superbox #31. Can't lie, i love the concepts and themes they have though :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

American style routine: cleanse -> toner -> exfoliant/acne treatment/eye cream/serum -> moisturizer/emulsion -> night cream

Asian style routine: cleanse (oil based) -> cleanse (foam based) -> toner -> eye cream -> essence/ampoule -> emulsion -> cream (a thicker moisturizer) -> sleeping pack
That's exactly what I was saying - that most places categorize essences as a separate step from toners, and I have yet to get anything that I would consider a toner. Lots of essences though.

Asian style routine: cleanse (oil based) -> cleanse (foam based) -> toner -> eye cream -> essence/ampoule ->  emulsion -> cream (a thicker moisturizer) -> sleeping pack
My mother just cannot with the number of items I slather on my face daily. I tried to tell her layering is the key, but she thinks my face is going to melt off when they all interact badly. I think she just wants me to stop buying products, haha.

Wow, new boxes! The herb box sounds interesting, but I'm still resisting!

I just learned Enprani owns Holika Holika. No wonder I like Holika Holika so much, haha. Enprani is so awesome.

I was interested in the herbal box until I realized it probably means a lot of essential oils, ginger, mint, etc... none of which make my face happy. Also probably no make up. Feels funny that I haven't bought any new Memeboxes in a while! Not that my wallet is complaining.

I've never gotten a memebox before. Do out of stock ones ever come back in stock? I'm speaking about the scent boxes in particular. I really wish I had those!

Back