jednashley

Birchbox for Men - is it worth it!?

@@Spazkatt I saw your post on the November thread, so I thought I would pop over here :)

My husband got BBMan for 2 months. I just renewed my Dad's subscription for his birthday.  For my husband, BBMan wasn't worth the $20/month cost.  Mostly because if you don't like the lifestyle item, the value just isn't there in the box.  For my Dad, he's a little more formal in every day life, so he can get use out of most of the lifestyle items.  I do think that's the biggest way to determine if it's for you.

Also - my Dad isn't bald, but he wasn't crazy about the hair stuff that BB was sending him - he wanted more of the skincare stuff.  So I told him to mark his profile as bald, now he doesn't get any hair stuff...

OH! And one more thing...something I started doing is when ordering full-sized stuff from the store and I'm eligible for a pick 2, I pick the men's one.  A lot of the skin stuff either of us can use, and I think the men's samples tend to be higher in value...

Thanks for the tip on picking bald! My husband doesn't like stuff in his hair, it has lots of body and doesn't need much help anyways.

My husband's box arrived today, he seemed pretty excited to get it. He was happy to get a face wash he was saying he has been wanting to try a face wash, he said the lotion by Beckham goes a long way, I liked the Notting Hill cologne on him (he said he can't really smell anything, but whatever I like he will wear),  my husband isn't a big fan of hair gel but he was ok with the Rusk paste because he doesn't like his hair to be crunchy, finally he was really impressed with the ear buds I was worried because he can be picky with electronics, but I came out to the living room after my shower and he was already listening to his ipod with them, he had me try them out and they're really nice, they do a great job of blocking out other sounds. I told him he has 2 more months and he seemed excited about it. 

• Like 1

The positive about this is that my husband is now wearing the cologne I got him for valentines day every day now, lol!

• Like 1

I'm torn on OFI should get my husband signed up for BB man. He is very particular about his hair products so I don't know if he would like surprises for that and his skin routine is laid back at best. However the 200 point code is so tempting to at least try it out... Decisions Decisions.

I just signed up for a bbx man for the $20 in store credit, lol.  I think it's messed up that they have an option for "Bald" in the hair category, but not for women. I was almost bald last year and picking "too short for a ponytail" did not prevent me from getting hair products. 

I've gotten good pick twos in the past from the men's section and I always thought their lifestyle items were cool.  Does anyone know how long it takes to get the credit via email? 

I think it's messed up that they have an option for "Bald" in the hair category, but not for women.

I think there are a lot of women who would say "bald" to avoid getting hair products.  I'd consider it, and my hair is down to my waist.  (I can't use most of the hair samples because they're too small.)

But agreed, there are some women who do not have hair for a variety of reasons and it stinks if like three of their samples are hair products (I've had three hair samples in one box before, with the Nexxus shampoo/conditioner/primer a few months back).

I think there are a lot of women who would say "bald" to avoid getting hair products.  I'd consider it, and my hair is down to my waist.  (I can't use most of the hair samples because they're too small.)

But agreed, there are some women who do not have hair for a variety of reasons and it stinks if like three of their samples are hair products (I've had three hair samples in one box before, with the Nexxus shampoo/conditioner/primer a few months back).

yup, i definitely didn't think of that but i can picture people checking off that option if it were available for women, lol

i got that nexxus packet over a year ago and two months before that, i got a three piece davines kit. i was so over hair products after that. 

• Like 1

I just signed up for a bbx man for the $20 in store credit, lol.  I think it's messed up that they have an option for "Bald" in the hair category, but not for women. I was almost bald last year and picking "too short for a ponytail" did not prevent me from getting hair products. 

I've gotten good pick twos in the past from the men's section and I always thought their lifestyle items were cool.  Does anyone know how long it takes to get the credit via email? 

I emailed them because I was expecting points and the cs rep replied that I would get the email with a 20 dollar code on Friday the 14th. 

I emailed them because I was expecting points and the cs rep replied that I would get the email with a 20 dollar code on Friday the 14th. 

yup, i got it and used it last night. thanks.

So I got an e-mail stating that I won't get a November bbx box b/c of an oversight and they will comp my December box.  They also gave me 100 points for the error.  I was really looking forward to getting a box this month or early next month :(

The same thing happened to me.  Not getting a box after the code for $20 wasn't working correctly when I first got it is not seeming like a good omen for this box.  The points were nice, but I was sort of looking forward to seeing what was in it and canceling.

Wow, at first I was kind of kicking myself for signing my husband up last month for our anniversary, not anymore though!

It's not really a comp for the next box in my opinion.  They're just moving my money over to the next month, that's all.  You think you're slick birchbox, lol

It's not really a comp for the next box in my opinion.  They're just moving my money over to the next month, that's all.  You think you're slick birchbox, lol

So they didn't refund you for a November box even though you never got one? That's strange.

I also received that email letting me know my box was pushed back to December and that I received 100 points. I wanted to use any items in it for Christmas gifts for my boyfriend.

So they didn't refund you for a November box even though you never got one? That's strange.

Since we received $20 in points for purchasing that box using the code, it seems they would rather push back the subscription a month later instead of refunding our $20.

Nope. No refund. I had a non clicky truck for November for the longest and I thought that I was paying for a December box when I signed up.  Their cycle throws me off a bit since it starts in the middle of the month, so I'm all sorts of confused.  

Now I gotta find another gift for my hubby for Christmas.  They messed up my maid of honor's gift in June w/ the Kate Spade necklace drama, my sorority sister's mother's day gift back in April and now this crap. Three strikes, birchbox. Three strikes.  I may forgive you, but I won't forget. 

Does BB for Men work on the same calander as BB for Women?  I thought I had read somewhere that they charge on the 15th?  When should you be able to see what is in that month's box and when do they ship/charge? 

Does BB for Men work on the same calander as BB for Women?  I thought I had read somewhere that they charge on the 15th?  When should you be able to see what is in that month's box and when do they ship/charge?

Yeah I know that part, but if I am billed on the 15th of November, will I get a November box or December box?

Yeah I know that part, but if I am billed on the 15th of November, will I get a November box or December box?

I asked a rep yesterday about this (I was extremely confused about the dates lol). Going to copy and paste how she explained it, hopefully it is helpful for others as well! :D

"For the Birchbox Man, we bill automatically on the 15th of the month and ship all boxes by the 25th.

For example, a charge on the 15th of November would be for the December Birchbox Man, which would ship by the 25th of November. Similarly to the women's box, your men's box page should update around the 25th of the month, or, at the latest, once your box has been delivered.

For your men's sample reviews to be eligible for Birchbox Points, you must fill out the review within the 30 day sample window (i.e.: from November 25th-December 25th for the December Birchbox)."

• Like 2

Thanks Girlwithclass.  They were supposed  to comp the Dec box since they never sent my November one, but shipping just has a blank spot under November's shipping information, nothing at all abut December, and if I click on BB Man under My Box it brings me to a page that shows the contents of my November woman's box.  This is turning out to be a lot more hassle than it was worth.

Thanks Girlwithclass. They were supposed to comp the Dec box since they never sent my November one, but shipping just has a blank spot under November's shipping information, nothing at all abut December, and if I click on BB Man under My Box it brings me to a page that shows the contents of my November woman's box. This is turning out to be a lot more hassle than it was worth.

I was having a lot of trouble with mine as well! I cancelled before they charged for December because my boyfriend wanted to skip it. Never got November, it had a space for November's shipping but we never received any tracking. Then I got the letter about them running out for November, and my letter specifically mentioned they would comp January's box for the mix-up. A day later.. I saw it update to December and it had a tracking number! I was so irritated because we didn't want December at all. I got in touch with them yesterday and the rep was just AMAZING at taking care of the issue, no problem. She comped a January box for him and told us to keep the December box free of charge.

I highly suggest contacting them so they can sort it out, crossing my fingers you don't have any more issues. I totally get the feeling of frustration and it being more hassle than it's worth! :(

I agree, this subscription promo has been a huge headache. Never got the November, still no word on the December box. Anyone with the $20 promo get their boxes yet??

I agree, this subscription promo has been a huge headache. Never got the November, still no word on the December box. Anyone with the $20 promo get their boxes yet??

Yes. I received the November box within a week, and received the December men's box on Friday, Nox 28. I would have been upset about two charges close together, but they were great boxes - november had the wooden earbuds and Dec, the flask. I paid $40 but received $20 in gift points and $10 for review points. That was an awesome deal!

Yes. I received the November box within a week, and received the December men's box on Friday, Nox 28. I would have been upset about two charges close together, but they were great boxes - november had the wooden earbuds and Dec, the flask. I paid $40 but received $20 in gift points and $10 for review points. That was an awesome deal!

ugh. the elusive earbuds. i read someone else got it in their pick two last month and you just got them. i am still  trying to get some new headphones.

i'm happy to hear that you like your boxes :)

Edited by nc42