Lolo22

Julep August 2014

Question: do you get 900 points per box you take? When does it get credited?

@@TracyT -- you get 300 points for a Maven box (the old subscription) or 350 points for a My Maven box.  Most people who got their first monthly box last month got bonus points because of "delayed" shipping, for a total of 900 points.

My points are generally applied mid-month.  Last month, it was the 14th.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1

This might be a silly question and maybe someone already answered it, but was there a free gift for doing 3 add-ons this month? I feel like I remember there would be which is why I added on 3 polishes, but I didn't come in my box. Can anyone help me out before I start on an e-mail to Julep CS?

This might be a silly question and maybe someone already answered it, but was there a free gift for doing 3 add-ons this month? I feel like I remember there would be which is why I added on 3 polishes, but I didn't come in my box. Can anyone help me out before I start on an e-mail to Julep CS?

The box I got yesterday included 3 paid add-ons.  I got a tube of Blank Canvas eye primer as a gift.  They've been sending different items -- some people got subscreen, and I think a few have received the Mint Condition foot cream.

There was a little printed paper (maybe 2" square") in the box that indicated that there was a beauty gift included.  I'm not sure whether they include the gift if you use Jules for any/all of the add-ons.

I cancelled my sub to Julep this week.  I really enjoyed seeing the colors this month thanks for posting the pictures PrettyLights!   When I read through the posts to this point it just confirms for me that I made the right decision.  When I cancelled the girl was very nice, but she said "Oh I see you are a long time Maven," she said it several times  - I have only been a maven for 13 months.  So I guess that many Mavens aren't sticking around that long ?  (Or it means nothing and it is just part of their script).  

They sent me a follow up email and asked for a reply to questions on why I quit.  The fact that it isn't a web survey tells me that they aren't collecting data on why people are quitting. 

My replies are here in the spoiler (its kind of wordy).  Guess I had a lot to say to them.  

Hello Julep Maven Team,

The fact that this is an email and not a web survey seems to indicate that you are not collating or collecting metrics on this data. Despite this I will happily answer your questions.

Why did you become a Maven? I was very interested in your products and in the free box of polish. I thought it was a great way to sample your program and I was also very happy that I was able to skip months. That was really key for me. If there was no skip option I would not have committed myself.

Why did you cancel your Maven subscription? .

1. Polish Quality vs. Polish Price- Julep's bottles are half the volume of most other polishes and at their regular price point they are one of the most expensive polishes in the market place. So at that price point I feel the formula for each polish should be predictable and high quality. Unfortunately this is not true - the polish quality is basically random. Some formulas are fabulous, but some are not. Some are basically unusable. At this price point polish quality should be predictable and uniform. There are many competitor products that do not have this quality issue and are twice the volume and are less expensive.

2. Creativity - Many of the 2014 collections were dupes of previous polishes. I realize that there are only so many colors on the color wheel - but there are lots of finishes and lots of themes that could be considered that would be so much fun. There were months that I could list the dupes based on your own product line so you were duping yourself? I have seen more creativity from drug store lines Sally Hansen, Julie G & Sinful Colors lately. Just leaves me shaking my head. You could and should be doing a better job.

3. Julep Marketing - Not sure how to put this - you are selling your access to Mavens as your breakthrough product for venture capital investment. It isn't based on nail polish. But you have this corporate persona of being a "girlfriend." It is just disingenuous and ICK. Finally although you discuss your donations to support women there is virtually no mention of this in your magazine articles in financial magazines and there is no transparency on this. Frankly I doubt that you have fulfilled this marketing promise. Jane Park has a marketing background and this is a marketing driven organization - to the detriment of other functions within your organization, such as logistics.

4. Maven Program Changes - The changes to the Maven program have made it even more expensive to be a maven - all while the quality and creativity are declining. Removal of the skip option and the poor quality meant I was not comfortable to recommend maven membership. The increased prices, the confusing and confused communications regarding these increases, the lack of transparency regarding costs esp the add on polishes - Awful.

Did you enjoy the products in your Maven boxes? - I think you invest too much $ and creativity into the packaging that you send the product in (another example of being a marketing lead company). You should spend more time working on creative polish and collections and for heaven's sake - invest more money into your logistics and shipping operations. As an online vendor this is a core functionality. While being a maven I did grow to appreciate the high level of service and shipping quality from every other vendor I dealt with - because the shipping for Julep was very poor in comparison.

How could we make the Maven program more appealing? There is no way I would ever subscribe to the Maven program in its current form. I would not want to pay more for uninspired and poor quality polish, I would not want to buy 3 months at a time and I would not want to give up the right to skip. The thread I follow used to be all excited women talking about anticipating their boxes and the next collection. Now it is all frustrated ladies who sound like lawyers and accountants trying to figure out how the jules work, where their points went, mystery charges when a deal was not honored and making lists of how a collection is a dupe of Julep's previous collections/polishes. Its just not fun and basically I want fun and happiness from my nailpolish subscription - not anxiety and frustration. I also want to send my money to a company that visibly and vocally follows through and donates to charity.

Thank you to everyone at Julep that provided excellent customer service and thanks for all of the great polishes I did get during my time as a maven.

Thank you,

Good luck to everyone continuing on - may you one day get a box that is correct, timely and full of good formula interesting polish.   :)

WOW! Very well said. I want to save this to make sure I hit on some of these points for when I cancel and if they send me a similar survey. I have about 1300 Jules and want to wait until September my anniversary month to get my extra jules and use them to get my freebie, whatever that may be. Then I think I may be done. I am a grandfathered Maven so I get the skip option which is what makes me nervous to leave completely. 

• Like 1

There was a little printed paper (maybe 2" square") in the box that indicated that there was a beauty gift included.

It says something like "congrats" and about a "free gift" or whatever? I think I had that last month, but I can't figure out why I wouldn't get it for using Jules because I still paid/acquired those Jules through paying money. So... it's weird. I'll e-mail and see what they say. I'll let everyone know when they reply!

My CWAT box with India came today. All was well with it thankfully. You know, I really wish Julep would get their sh*t together. I really love them and it's the only sub that I consistently look forward to every month, but their constant issues as of late has been so frustrating. Since May I have had to call them every month about some issue or another. It's been said a million times before but, they could do so much more yet they just...don't. It's unfortunate.

Thanks everyone  - I will be around and still buy polish.  (just no more Julep I think)  - good luck to you all with this month.  I left some Juleps behind and I was able to skip - I just realized that I wasn't having fun and I didn't want to give them my $$ anymore.  I am going to get dupes of my favorites from other brands when they run out.  I have a ton of Julep polish anyway  - over 100 shades.  

Good luck to you all  - I feel for you this month.  

It looks like Orly Blue Peacock is a close substitute for India.  (but I don't know if Orly is 3 free) 

Edited by Sun8shin3

Since May I have had to call them every month about some issue or another. It's been said a million times before but, they could do so much more yet they just...don't. It's unfortunate.

I think many of the problems stem from the huge influx of people they had for the Plie Wand. Seems May was the magic month all the problems started. If they're not careful, they could lose many of those new people they just got this year.

• Like 1

I think many of the problems stem from the huge influx of people they had for the Plie Wand. Seems May was the magic month all the problems started. If they're not careful, they could lose many of those new people they just got this year.

That and I'm really convinced that some free sample blog really promoted the summer brights box as some "no strings attached" sample and they were inundated with new subscribers that didn't bother reading that they were now subscribers. Which in turn bogged down their customer service with people canceling from that and made reaching CS for the rest of us to be difficult and frustrating. There was always people on their Facebook complaining about being "scammed" into the sub, but not like it has been the past few months.

• Like 3

I've been thisclose to cancelling for a few months now. I was one of the ones that signed up in early January and was post-signup informed that I didn't get the monthly skip option, and it's been nothing but the same headaches as everyone else since then. First, I stuck around for April, my birthday month, for the extra Jules, then May for the plie wand, then June to earn enough Jules for a free box, then cashed in my Jules for a free July box, then used my "every 6 months earn-a-skip" for August.

I've used my nail polish budget for the last two months on some awesome indie polishes. So much happier with the unique colors/finishes/glitters/mattes/etc. Very happy to get exactly what I want for $20 and for my money to go directly to the person making it. (Right now I'm wearing Dinah from LynBDesigns, a super pretty grey-lavender with a subtle purple shimmer. Love! And it's named after the cat in Alice in Wonderland. And it's World Cat Day today.)

Anyway.... I'm waiting to see what the September collection looks like. If it's boring creams and dupes again I'll be calling to cancel for real this time. A small part of me wants to call and ask to skip, because I do like when a 50% off code floats by and I can order 3-5 polishes from the gift section for less than $10. But I have to remind myself that that's another $10 going into their coffers.

I stop by Julep's facebook page every now and then, and the level of vitriol in the comments and posts is staggering. If that were my company, I'd be trying my darndest to get the major concerns (shipping, CS response time, difficulty of cancelling) addressed ASAP. Jane Park used to be super-visible and "girlfriend-y." Where is she now? Leaving her CS reps to take the brunt of maven concerns and complaints?  I doubt those CS reps make more than $15/hour. No way could you pay me to deal with what I'm sure they go through on a daily basis.

• Like 2

I stop by Julep's facebook page every now and then, and the level of vitriol in the comments and posts is staggering. If that were my company, I'd be trying my darndest to get the major concerns (shipping, CS response time, difficulty of cancelling) addressed ASAP. Jane Park used to be super-visible and "girlfriend-y." Where is she now? Leaving her CS reps to take the brunt of maven concerns and complaints?  I doubt those CS reps make more than $15/hour. No way could you pay me to deal with what I'm sure they go through on a daily basis.

Even the CS reps on Facebook are hardly to be seen anymore. Not that I blame them.

I've been thisclose to cancelling for a few months now. I was one of the ones that signed up in early January and was post-signup informed that I didn't get the monthly skip option, and it's been nothing but the same headaches as everyone else since then. First, I stuck around for April, my birthday month, for the extra Jules, then May for the plie wand, then June to earn enough Jules for a free box, then cashed in my Jules for a free July box, then used my "every 6 months earn-a-skip" for August.

I've used my nail polish budget for the last two months on some awesome indie polishes. So much happier with the unique colors/finishes/glitters/mattes/etc. Very happy to get exactly what I want for $20 and for my money to go directly to the person making it. (Right now I'm wearing Dinah from LynBDesigns, a super pretty grey-lavender with a subtle purple shimmer. Love! And it's named after the cat in Alice in Wonderland. And it's World Cat Day today.)

Anyway.... I'm waiting to see what the September collection looks like. If it's boring creams and dupes again I'll be calling to cancel for real this time. A small part of me wants to call and ask to skip, because I do like when a 50% off code floats by and I can order 3-5 polishes from the gift section for less than $10. But I have to remind myself that that's another $10 going into their coffers.

I stop by Julep's facebook page every now and then, and the level of vitriol in the comments and posts is staggering. If that were my company, I'd be trying my darndest to get the major concerns (shipping, CS response time, difficulty of cancelling) addressed ASAP. Jane Park used to be super-visible and "girlfriend-y." Where is she now? Leaving her CS reps to take the brunt of maven concerns and complaints? I doubt those CS reps make more than $15/hour. No way could you pay me to deal with what I'm sure they go through on a daily basis.

This is what I really don't understand. What is the hold up for improving CS?? I mean they're all nice enough, but they are strapped so thin and for so long now. It makes no sense.
  • Like 4

or 50% with MAGIC50

I used it on the Lawn Games kit (5 polishes and the plie snap-ons) for $10. All the add-ons sucked IMHO, though I heard a rumor that the code applies to add-ons as well.

• Like 2

So, I just used the Magic40 code.  Too bad I didn't see Magic50!  Oh well. 

I got Claudia (this month's birthstone polish) & Queen Anne.  I haven't taken a Julep box in a few months so I'm ready for a couple new polishes. 

This is what I really don't understand. What is the hold up for improving CS?? I mean they're all nice enough, but they are strapped so thin and for so long now. It makes no sense.

Profit margin?

I think that getting new customers is their driving force - so CS is less important than bringing in new business

I got my box today and I got India (yeah) but the still managed to mess it up because they left out my add-on of Joyce.  So yet another email to Julep.

And out of curiosity I just tried the Magic50 code and it is still working.

I got my box today and I got India (yeah) but the still managed to mess it up because they left out my add-on of Joyce.  So yet another email to Julep.

And out of curiosity I just tried the Magic50 code and it is still working.

The fine print on Magic50 says it expires tomorrow night.

/sigh

I'm missing the clean up tool from my box.  An email to Julep on Monday still hasn't been answered.  Time for another one I suppose.  

Looks like I'm not the only one with issues.  I'm not sure if that makes me feel better or worse...  I was debating keeping Julep for another month after my 3-month sub runs out but I am not looking forward to that phone call.  Or being on hold for however long.  I just don't want to be charged full price for another three months so I can't put it off too long.  

Why, when they are so short handed, do they not just put a cancel button on their website?!  And forget that silly crap about how they can't do that because of security reasons.  please.  We aren't idiots and we know that's not true.  If they can take my credit card number, they can take my cancellation.  Seems like that would save them a whole lot of trouble, too.

• Like 2

/sigh

Why, when they are so short handed, do they not just put a cancel button on their website?!  And forget that silly crap about how they can't do that because of security reasons.  please.  We aren't idiots and we know that's not true.  If they can take my credit card number, they can take my cancellation.  Seems like that would save them a whole lot of trouble, too.

I think they started accepting cancellations if you email [email protected] Obviously keep your confirmation email in case they DO bill you again.

Edited by TooMuchElectric
  • Like 1

Yeah I've never had another subscription that had to be cancelled over the phone, and only one that required an email. So many things going on with them that could/need to be changed. I'm just going to keep skipping, and not buying anything until things seem to get better. It's just a bit ridiculous at this point, and makes me wonder who is preventing the changes that need to be made.

ETA: Do we know if Julep is using a fulfillment service to pack their boxes or their own employees? Because whoever is in charge needs to change if they keep up with all these problems.

Edited by Kelly Silva
  • Like 4

Never even gave joining Julip a thought.  But then I got tempted with the recent promo.  Got 3 months at 50% off.    That comes out to $10 a month,  Not too shabby! :)

• Like 2