Julep August 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Julep honestly doesn't strike me as that kind of company. I think they are like OPI and Essie more than the indie companies. The bulk of their collections will be creams and shimmers in reds and pinks. Not yellows and greens in holographic glitter or chalkboard finish. LOL

I voted to keep with the creams, shimmers and sheers. That's what I like from Julep. 
I agree with you that Julep seems to have modeled their colors and finishes off of OPI and Essie but, to me, they are not even at the same level. I could go to the store and pick up a bottle of OPI (I've never used Essie) today for less money than Julep and get more product without having to wait for shipping. 

When I was building up my polish collection, Julep was great! I have a lot of basic colors that I love from Julep but my collection is now at the point where I really don't want to spend the money to get dupe polishes. Lately, it's even harder to want to buy from Julep knowing that there could be discrepancies in color and/or formula from what I think I'm getting. 

I think a great thing about Julep's plan is that theoretically they have different profiles so if you're looking for something a little bolder they have something for you and if you want to keep it simple they have that too. Lately they seem to have gotten off track and are sending out a lot of dupe polishes to what they have already offered--hopefully they can get back on track and offer collections that everyone will love including their classic cremes (hopefully in unique colors) along with fun finishes (stardust! speckles! satins! glitter!) soon. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Julep honestly doesn't strike me as that kind of company. I think they are like OPI and Essie more than the indie companies. The bulk of their collections will be creams and shimmers in reds and pinks. Not yellows and greens in holographic glitter or chalkboard finish. LOL

I voted to keep with the creams, shimmers and sheers. That's what I like from Julep. 
Julep is an indie company though, or at least they think of themselves as one.  They just won some best indie award not too long ago.

Essie can be purchased at Target, so I really don't consider them on the same level at all.  I think of Essie and OPI as mega-brands.  I constantly get comments about my nails and no one has ever heard of Julep when I tell them that's what I'm wearing.

Julep is definitely small enough that they can and should be listening to what their customers want.  The maven program is basically centered around customization now, so they very much seem to care that we get the colors we want each month.  They know if we want a red cream we can pop over to Target/Walmart/Ulta and pick up the latest OPI or Essie for $9 and have it in our hands instantly.  And on the other hand, they know how many red creams they already have!  Maybe they do it, but I've never heard of Essie or OPI sending surveys about what colors/products their customers want.

My honest opinion is that they just don't seem to be on the ball with current trends (maybe there's too much red tape so the collections get dialed back).  They are always a season or 2 behind the other brands.  They do put out holos, special effect toppers, and textures, just not as often or as many as we'd (some of us anyway) like so it's not like they are not on board with them.  Just my rambling thoughts though, lol!

All of you who have been around long enough to choose to skip months are lucky! I just joined in May and did 3 months, and I think I will opt out for a few months after that. I love nail polish, but in that short amount of time I think I have gotten more than I can use for awhile! I wish this was an every other month or even quarterly subscription. They could do quarterly and come out with colors for the new season. Now, you don't have the option to skip until you have been a member for awhile and then it is only 1 time every 6 months, I think. I have tried some of there other product line, and it is nice, but I have other sub boxes for skin and make up. I hate the thought of missing something though!

To be honest with you I see more interesting nail finishes at the drugstore in the Sally Hansen line and it just leaves me shaking my head - SH did a series of duo-chromes that have much better color than the one I got in June from Julep.  For that matter Julie G has a better one too.   I think that the thing that Julep does really well are opaque cream polishes - so it may be boring - but that is a big differentiator from many drugstore level brands.  

That being said - Julep is 50% the size of a standard polish which makes it expensive and the formulas are just a complete roulette wheel.  I haven't gotten a formula that was bad from either OPI or Essie - ever.  I have also broken 2 julep bottles - not sure what the issue is but they are very fragile.  

Julep is raking in big bucks and I don't think I would really look at them as indie - although I do believe that Julep wants us to see them as indie. 

Here is an article from April 2014 http://seattletimes.com/html/businesstechnology/2023375755_julepvcxml.html

Julep has over $56 milliion in venture capital investments and has tripled its revenue in the past year.  I think that Julep aspires to be a mainstream luxury brand and so I don't think they are going to stop doing the mainstream finishes/ colors anytime soon.  

Also it's good to remember the product that they are selling to the venture capital companies is not nailpolish - 

“Julep has truly figured out how to deeply engage women where they already are — social, mobile, and Web — and leverage those channels to bring customers into the product innovation process,” Madrona Venture Group principal Julie Sandler, said in the company statement.

So Julep is really selling those investors Jane Park's ability to market to their target demographic.  Unlike their actual product (nailpolish) their marketing is consistently high level and frequently changes and stays on trend.

Is anyone else TICKED about the cost of add-on's now?  Seriously.  Two dollars extra per polish, what a rip off, if you want 2 or 3 more, it adds up.  Last October I did 3 add-on's.  Won't be able to do it this year, or I might as well upgrade and get the whole set.  Which I cannot afford.  I did not change the customization of my box, because I don't want to deal with the automatic charge of $59.99 or what have you, after I run out of boxes.  I have read enough complaints about their new system and not being able to use Jules and so forth, so I refuse to change my subscription.  

Anyway, it just annoys me.  

I mean I guess 3 add-on's is just 6 more dollars, but it just LOOKS like a lot more.  4.99, now 6.99.   lol

:/

Honestly, the best way to get some of the newer polishes real cheap, is to refer yourself a new account and pick the welcome box you want. I've gotten quite a few this way.

I mean I guess 3 add-on's is just 6 more dollars, but it just LOOKS like a lot more.  4.99, now 6.99.   lol
Well, when you look at like that it's a whole extra polish you aren't getting.  $2 is enough that I doubt I will get add-ons anymore.  I'm better off waiting for sales, sets and codes which pretty much always come out to less than 6.99 per polish.

Is anyone else TICKED about the cost of add-on's now? Seriously. Two dollars extra per polish, what a rip off, if you want 2 or 3 more, it adds up. Last October I did 3 add-on's. Won't be able to do it this year, or I might as well upgrade and get the whole set. Which I cannot afford. I did not change the customization of my box, because I don't want to deal with the automatic charge of $59.99 or what have you, after I run out of boxes. I have read enough complaints about their new system and not being able to use Jules and so forth, so I refuse to change my subscription.

Anyway, it just annoys me.

I mean I guess 3 add-on's is just 6 more dollars, but it just LOOKS like a lot more. 4.99, now 6.99. lol

:/
Not ticked but annoyed. It's a 40% markup. You can pick up a customized prepaid box for 1$ cheaper than adding on 3 new polishes. I am annoyed enough to continue skipping and possibly cancelling. Giving it a few more months to see if they do any positive changes to the program.

Yeah I'm not planning on adding on polishes anymore. And I'm definitely not upgrading my box to customize, mostly because I want to stick it to them. Someone (or a company) tries to tell me what to do, and I will dig my heels in and do everything I can to do anything but what they want. I skipped July and it felt so good, so I may continue skipping if they keep on this track. The whirlwind romance between me and Julep has fizzled out, and they're going to have to really impress me to get me to come back.

Yeah I'm not planning on adding on polishes anymore. And I'm definitely not upgrading my box to customize, mostly because I want to stick it to them. Someone (or a company) tries to tell me what to do, and I will dig my heels in and do everything I can to do anything but what they want. I skipped July and it felt so good, so I may continue skipping if they keep on this track. The whirlwind romance between me and Julep has fizzled out, and they're going to have to really impress me to get me to come back.
I agree, I have been unimpressed for a long time. 

August product spoilers, they pretty much sealed the deal on my skip this month. I really don't need more...

Black eyeliner! Or boring shades like these for that matter. It's summer Julep, I want all the green, blue, pink, white, silver, and other crazy color eyeliners!

I don't even know why I get my hopes up w/Julep any more.  But I do, & they disappoint me every time.

When they got rid of the skip for new customers that was their biggest downfall.  The best thing about Julep is the ability to skip.  

Eyeliner and mascara are the only eye products I use (not an eyeshadow kind of girl), so I'm a little interested. I mainly hope they aren't as smudgy on me as the Kajal Eye Glider because that went HORRIBLY. When college was in session, I'd be on campus from 9:30 to 6:30 some days and the eye glider I put on at 9 would be horribly smudged by the time my first class ended around noon. I was expecting way more from it than less than three hours' wear. I guess it couldn't handle the South Florida heat.

Julep's Eyes All Aglow set is one of my favorite things for the colors and the quality (far less smudgy than Kajal), so if these new eyeliners are closer to those, I'll be happy. <3 If only the color variety were more like Eyes All Aglow. I've gotten so much use out of the teal one in every season.

Ugh. The only reason I took a box this last month is because I want to use all my jules before I cancel and I don't get skips. Going to be bummed if I have to use or lose my jules on another boring month.

Julep's Eyes All Aglow set is one of my favorite things for the colors and the quality (far less smudgy than Kajal), so if these new eyeliners are closer to those, I'll be happy. <3 If only the color variety were more like Eyes All Aglow. I've gotten so much use out of the teal one in every season.
I love the Eyes All Aglow set for the color selection but I find that it doesn't last long at all. I saw on the announcement that these were supposed to last 10 hours (which I think may be exaggerated) but I'd be interested in them if they're long lasting and don't smudge! I do already have a lot of black/brown eye liner though, so I wish they offered more fun colors (although the plum is right up my alley!) 

I guess it once again falls down to what the colors are this month...

Wahn wahn wahnnn.... Julep just had eyeliner a few months ago!  And I agree with some previous comments...the kajal stuff did NOT stay put.  Slid right off.  If the 10 hr claims are true for these ones then I'll be pleasantly surprised.  If they would have had funky colours like electric blue, green, purple, that would have been exciting.  But Julep has been anything but exciting these past few months.  Fingers crossed that the polishes will be awesome!  We shall see.

Back