Julep August 2014

Makeuptalk.com forums

Help Support Makeuptalk.com forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aargh...that smoky taupe is calling to me.  I'd definitely go for it if I thought there was any hope that I could make it look like it does in the picture.   I'm SO bad with pencil eyeliners.   I use shadow/liner with a brush because it's so much easier to apply.

Sigh....unless they're gonna shrink wrap a makeup artist with each eye glider, I'm going to have to pass.  Unless I can get some of the Bare body milk or scrub to fill out the box instead of polish.   I'm hopelessly addicted to the body milk.

I'm starting to wonder if their little experiment of theirs is how boring can we make the summer collections and still get women to buy it? I'd be so curious to see their profit margins for boring months compared to really good months. I haven't been interested in the products for a while now, but I think my last favorite polish month was April. And before that, February. I'd be shocked if we saw anything more exciting than cremes and a stardust or two on the 20th.

I don't even know why I get my hopes up w/Julep any more.  But I do, & they disappoint me every time.

When they got rid of the skip for new customers that was their biggest downfall.  The best thing about Julep is the ability to skip.  
This is the only reason I haven't outright cancelled my Julep sub, the ability to skip.

Same here. If I couldn't skip, I would just cancel. I am just not thrilled with the polish at this moment. I hope August is amazing because it is my birthday month. I would love to cash in my Jules for some amazing products.

I definitely would cancel Julep if I wasn't able to skip. Also, I don't think I would recommend Julep in its current state to anyone I know. 

It'll be interesting to see what they offer this month and what they continue to do in the future. Especially now that it seems like a lot of people are becoming unhappy and there are a lot more nail polish subscriptions out than when they started. 

Snoozefest. Not interested on those at all.
they are such basics - you could get those at any drug store from many brands and you wouldn't end up with it smearing all over.  The brown kajal is OK- the black is really messy and it needs to be set with another product.  I should have guessed - I noticed that Julep deleted  product reviews for kajal.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Earlier this week I realized that I was looking forward to the 20th because I have to travel for work and I wanted to get my skip processed before I left since I can't do it from my iphone. Kinda sad - I used to be really excited for the 20th.  

I'm a new Maven and have gotten pretty addicted to the polishes (but I love cremes because they give me the flexibility to add a glitter top coat). I have loved painting my nails for years and Julep gives me the chance to purchase colors that feel fairly unique to me (but I'm just starting to grow my polish collection). I used to have just pretty standard colors, but now I have two sides of the coin: my bright side and my neutral side. And Julep has some pretty great twists on neutrals.

That said, as much as I have enjoyed Julep so far, I am not excited about eye gliders. I picked up the Urban Decay Ocho2 set of 8 eyeliners this spring and I really don't need any more eye liner. I have tons of it - cheap stuff and expensive stuff and nothing tops Urban Decay. The ones that I have are gel liners and I already have 4 that are really close to these colors, if not pretty much the exact same thing. So I'll either be taking the box with three polishes or hoping I can swap out the eye liner for something else. (I haven't been a member long enough to skip I don't think...)

Here's to hoping that there is something else awesome lurking around in there!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no interest in the eye gliders. Glad I can skip if I don't love 3 of the polishes. I'd certainly cancel if they forced me to take a box every month!! And I really don't understand that change. Their marketing is so good that all they need is a lot of potential buyers/mavens and enough People will buy the sales/deals/mystery boxes etc ...

I would love to see bright summer colours with funky finishes .. my nails don't like glitters all that much and I have cremes for every color of the rainbow. A nice twist though would tempt me ...

I did a 3 month when I signed up, so August will be my 3rd month.  I am going to cancel.  While I like the colors I have gotten, and I did purchase a few things from the sales that they have had, every month is just too much for this subscription.  With no skip option, I have no choice but to cancel and maybe try it back awhile down the road.  The product is great, it wears well, it isn't too thick, it dries quickly, but there are other great brands out there that I am receiving in various other boxes, so this is just one that will have to go.

yawn. not excited about the liners, but we'll see what the polishes look like i guess. 

This is the only reason I haven't outright cancelled my Julep sub, the ability to skip.
The cynic in me wonders if this isn't on purpose.  They seem completely out of ideas lately (black, brown, and plum eyeliner - how revolutionary!) and the only way they can continue a guaranteed revenue stream is to sign up new accounts that can't skip.  There will always be people sucked in by the power of the first free box, especially if their makeup and polish collections aren't built up yet.

I feel like they're purposely trying to aggravate me just enough to cancel my grandfathered account, so if I sign up again later I can no longer skip.

Well ha! Julep - the joke's on you.  Never under-estimate the power of my laziness and desire

not to pick up the phone and cancel subscriptions.  Skip button it is!  (Even if you're sneaky and

hide it as a text-link in the 'gift-this-box' section again.)

They seem completely out of ideas lately (black, brown, and plum eyeliner - how revolutionary!) and the only way they can continue a guaranteed revenue stream is to sign up new accounts that can't skip.
Yes, reformulating every product and polish you already have is definitely not innovative enough for me. After only a few years, there are basically dupes of every retired polish by now (well except the ones I really liked, the interesting ones!). And I really don't like the image they project when you take a look at the site, and see two Glycolic scrubs in different packaging. It's like their sales tactic is try and sell out of a product by shoving it in every mystery box under the sun, mark it down, and get rid of it all before they "reformulate" it and repackage it, and sell it to us again.

Polish names for this month:

Boho Glam - India, Waleska, brown eye glider

Bombshell - Tazeen, Neha, plum eye glider

CWaT - Katie, Avni, black eye glider

It Girl - Kirti, Joyce, Tammi

Indian Summer theme?
I just checked my account. The other product in modern beauty is the eye shadow palette.

Indian Summer theme?
Heh.  I just looked up "Waleska" to see where it's from -- and got its meaning:  "I am pregnant."  (It's Polish, just as I suspected by the ending of the name.)  And...  Huh.  Kirti is Hindi, and it *also* means "I am pregnant." 

Anyway.  It seems odd that they would have an Indian Summer theme and use names from India because that is *not* where the term came from. 

Heh.  I just looked up "Waleska" to see where it's from -- and got its meaning:  "I am pregnant."  (It's Polish, just as I suspected by the ending of the name.)  And...  Huh.  Kirti is Hindi, and it *also* means "I am pregnant." 

Anyway.  It seems odd that they would have an Indian Summer theme and use names from India because that is *not* where the term came from. 
Oh weird. Maybe it's like an around the world theme or something. Names from all over.

It also strikes me as odd for a Pacific Northwest company to have an Indian Summer collection in August.  Around here, it's more of a late September/early October phenomenon, so Canadians sometimes have Thanksgiving during it.  After summer is officially over, we tend to get a period of torrential rain -- and then we get a stretch of a week or so of warm, dry weather, frequently in the 80s, before we truly settle into autumn.  *That* is our Indian summer.

Indian Summer theme?
Just wondering where you found this?  I can't see any of the colors for August yet, it says I have to wait until tomorrow!  :wacko:

Back