Lolo22

Julep August 2014

Yes, this!!  I keep going back to the reveal email to click on it and see this image:  So pretty!! I cannot wait to get my box! the last time I upgraded & was this excited- it was the Oct steampunk Rebel set!!! :D

box2.jpg

the bottom three colors are the ones I love the most!! I think they did an excellent job this month. I haven't purchased a box since feb of this year, I believe. I was going to do another month after that (forgot which one), but then changed my mind...

• Like 1

@meaganola    actually, I really like the letter & how you worded it.  As much as I really love this collection, I still think Julep needs to push the boundaries more and think outside the box.    I hope they take your letter seriously & they respond back to you!

• Like 5

I can't decide what to do.  I think the polishes in this collection are gorgeous.  India is such a stunner.  But... I just wouldn't wear a lot of these.  I made a box with Katie, Joyce, and the eye shadow pallet.  I already have the pallet but am thinking to get this extra one for my travel make up bag that permanently stays in my weekender bag (I travel regularly).

I'm torn, I have so many never used Juleps.  I haven't even taken last months polishes out of the boxes yet and I know that I have so many polishes that most rarely get used.  Even though I have unlimited skips, I have a hard time skipping.

I really like the whole collection and the maniversary/trail blazers/core classics boxes this month. I do totally get the frustration with the rainbow theme that's been going on for awhile now but I feel like it works for warmer months. Plus they gave us all fun finishes which makes it that much better (I would've hated this collection in cremes). I think next month will tell us if they're listening or not. I would definitely love a monochromatic collection and they need to shift away from their rainbow MO for fall anyway.

• Like 4

I can't decide what to do.  I think the polishes in this collection are gorgeous.  India is such a stunner.  But... I just wouldn't wear a lot of these.  I made a box with Katie, Joyce, and the eye shadow pallet.  I already have the pallet but am thinking to get this extra one for my travel make up bag that permanently stays in my weekender bag (I travel regularly).

I'm torn, I have so many never used Juleps.  I haven't even taken last months polishes out of the boxes yet and I know that I have so many polishes that most rarely get used.  Even though I have unlimited skips, I have a hard time skipping.

would you wear the colors more if it was for pedicures maybe?    I feel ya on the whole unused juleps- I'm trying to make it a priority to use that months julep actually in that month before I take the next month's box... (that way I dont feel so bad, when i get keeping more & not using last months)

So us grandmothered mavens can't pick the color of eye liner huh? I hope that's not the case but if it is... I will probably skip again. But I love the blue polish. Sooo shiny...

I was able to switch color. You just have to select edit.

I was able to switch color. You just have to select edit.

yep. I was able to switch my eyeliner color with no issue - and I am grandfathered (mothered?) in... :D

I kind of wish I  had the ability to skip. While I love the colors, I'm just on a bit of a polish overload at the moment. I got a lot of the sales in June/early July and I feel like I just have SO much I haven't even gotten to play with that I don't need/want anything new. I was excited to see the Plie wand as an add-on this month since I signed up too late in May to get the June box (which I think is when it debuted? Or was it in May?) Either way, I don't have the Plie. What do you guys think of it?

Polish Lovers upgrade for me. With this box I will finally have enough Jules for a free upgrade box! I can't wait to see the fall collections!

I decided not to use my Jules for upgrade. I am going to wait to see what the fall brings. I honestly do not know what colors I want to see. Just something edgy and breathtaking. I have over 25+ unopened Julep polish. So why do I keep getting them? Your guess is as good as mines. I will unload around Christmas. The teachers love the boxes I make for them. I add candy, lotions, glosses and other various treats; it's like having their own custom gift box.

• Like 2

My first reaction is how terrible the swatch pics are this month, it looks like someone was overzealous with the Photoshop effects. The laziness on presenting accurate (or lack thereof) of swatches is temptation enough to make me want to cancel, but the skip option is my only reason for not pulling the trigger. I'm also annoyed that it's 10:15am Pacific time and the Boho Glam box, and both polish upgrade boxes are already sold out, and the time that my window email was sent was 8-something Pacific. They really need to get on the ball and open the window at the same time for everyone instead of catering to the East Coast crowd and opening the window for them first then staggering it for the West Coast.

The colors themselves are great if you don't already have these in your collection, but the more I look at them the more I'm reminded of Zoya colors and I'm pretty sure I have most of these colors from Zoya sitting in my Helmer. What's scary is that I can name off probable dupes for India, Waleska and Kirti off the top of my head without consulting my Helmer drawer of Zoyas being Tallulah, Zuza, and Amy respectively.

• Like 1

My first reaction is how terrible the swatch pics are this month, it looks like someone was overzealous with the Photoshop effects. The laziness on presenting accurate (or lack thereof) of swatches is temptation enough to make me want to cancel, but the skip option is my only reason for not pulling the trigger. I'm also annoyed that it's 10:15am Pacific time and the Boho Glam box, and both polish upgrade boxes are already sold out, and the time that my window email was sent was 8-something Pacific. They really need to get on the ball and open the window at the same time for everyone instead of catering to the East Coast crowd and opening the window for them first then staggering it for the West Coast.

The colors themselves are great if you don't already have these in your collection, but the more I look at them the more I'm reminded of Zoya colors and I'm pretty sure I have most of these colors from Zoya sitting in my Helmer. What's scary is that I can name off probable dupes for India, Waleska and Kirti off the top of my head without consulting my Helmer drawer of Zoyas being Tallulah, Zuza, and Amy respectively.

I thought the colors looked familiar. I have all three from Zoya with Amy being on loan to my Mother. I seriously doubt Julep dupes will be just as great with formula consistency. I could be wrong. I would love to see a side by side comparison.

would you wear the colors more if it was for pedicures maybe?    I feel ya on the whole unused juleps- I'm trying to make it a priority to use that months julep actually in that month before I take the next month's box... (that way I dont feel so bad, when i get keeping more & not using last months)

Sadly no, I'm more of a plane Jane kinda girl and stick to neutrals, reds, pinks, and pastels (and mint when I'm feeling really out there ;) ).  I love this months collection, but I wouldn't wear the polishes so I'll just admire them from afar  :)

I also try to use the current months polishes before the next month too!  But I was taken off course a few months ago when I upgraded to the Polish Lovers Upgrade and had a whole bunch of additional polishes.  I'm backlogged LOL

• Like 1

I had to actively talk myself out of doing the polish upgrade because I did one in June (I ended up regretting it slightly because I got rid of three of the colors quickly) and I can pick up the others I wanted later. Loooooooooove these colors. I went with the It Girl box and added on India, Neha, and Sushmita. I'll definitely grab Waleska and Tazeen at a later date, but I'm a little worried about Tazeen because it reminds me of Diamond Theory from February. As gorgeous as Diamond Theory was when I used it to do French tips over Myriam once (alas, I have no pictures), I had to fight to get that sucker off. The way Tazeen looks on the model's nails is what has the alarm going off.

Considering I'm at about 100 Julep polishes now and only about half of them have been used, I really need to start using more of them. This week's manicure used five colors and I'm only getting rid of one. SO HARD TO LET GO.

I thought the colors looked familiar. I have all three from Zoya with Amy being on loan to my Mother. I seriously doubt Julep dupes will be just as great with formula consistency. I could be wrong. I would love to see a side by side comparison.

I'd love to see a (real life)side by side comparison! well, for now- from a quick google search...

P1230255.JPG

India_August.jpg

DSCN1889.JPG

Waleska_August.jpg

Zoya-Amy.jpg

Kirti_August.jpg

Hrmm, now I'm wondering if I actually own Amy- I could do a real life side by side- they look close.  But to my eye, Waleska looks darker and way more bluer-green than Zuzu- that looks more seafoam green to me... India cold be different too, but then again it totally depends on what they look like in reality vs if they've been hella photoshopped! ;)

• Like 6

Aaahhh!  You helped me put my finger on something that was bugging me but that I couldn't quite pinpoint:  A lot of these collections look like they're slowly trying to build a catalog of Zoya dupes.  If I want Zoya colors, I'll go to a local beauty shop (just off the top of my head, I can think of two non-Ulta stores locally with *great* Zoya selections, including older shades) and get the real deal for nine bucks a pop, and I won't have to wait.  I love Zoya. In fact, I'm going to use one today.  But if I put Julep up *against* Zoya, I'll go for the latter any day of the week.  Better formula, better bottles (and I'm comparing short-and-squat to tall-thin-and-tippy here), better price (and better value!  Less money for twice as much polish, if price-per-ml matters to you). 

• Like 1

Definitely relieved they let us pick the eyeliner colors. That made my choice a lot easier. I just stuck with my CWAT profile since I love Katie. I love India too but it actually looks like it could be similar to a Revlon polish I bought at Target last month. I went with the plum eyeliner because while I have a few bright purple eyeliners from UD and BL, I don't believe I have any that are actually that dark purple shade and I love purple eye makeup with my hazel eyes.

What is going on here?

First, Core classics box was sold out when I first looked. Now it's not...but all the other things are? All the upgrades? Boho glam box? Julep is so messed up....I wouldn't even be bothering but I scored a deal for a 3 month subscription awhile back and have to take the box. But I actually like these finishes, and am thinking about maybe taking the upgrade? But now it's not there....

Is it for anyone else?

What I find 'Ironic' (to put it nicely) is that Julep said they were going to the no-skips system in large part so that things would NOT sell out.  Clearly, they have royally screwed this up (or else are just liars, which frankly is likely).

Also, I know this has been discussed to death but the increased price of add-ons really continues to tick me off.  Their polishes IMO simply are not worth the $7 add-on price.  I can almost get a non-discounted Essie for that price at my local Target.

If I could not skip, I would definitely quit the program at this point.

Edited by tulosai
  • Like 7

Okay lemme just say it, I LOVE THIS COLLECTION. The overall Middle Eastern theme is so unique to Julep, & I'm having an incredibly hard time figuring out which box I want. I'll most likely stick w/ It Girl because I love orange, & Joyce & Tammi look like a duo I wanted back in the Secret Store a few months ago. Also Tammi is pretty similar to Tatum, but I remember really wanting Tatum & so hopefully the formula on Tammi will be better.

But Katie, Waleska, & the Bombshell box are TO DIE FOR. It's taking all the self control I have to not upgrade. Also I'm very indifferent to the eyeliners this month--they look promising but I'd rather fork out $16 for an Urban Decay pencil. I also wanna respectfully disagree on previous posts; I own Zuza & it is a delicate seafoam green w/ silver microshimmer. Waleska looks like a much darker blue green w/ heavy gold shimmer.

Edited by itsoliviaaah
  • Like 2

I also wanna respectfully disagree on previous posts; I own Zuza & it is a delicate seafoam green w/ silver microshimmer. Waleska looks like a much darker blue green w/ heavy gold shimmer.

No offense taken. :) I said probable based on how their swatches tend to look different than in RL. We won't know for sure until someone other than Julep has a swatch for comparison.

• Like 2

I upgraded to the entire collection. Love exotic colors. 

On my other account, I bought the eye palette, the Plie' wand and tools and the pots of eye shadows. I was kind of over all the polish since I had just signed up for it. 

Not sure how long I'm going to stay with Julep. Either they've changed their polishes a lot or I missed the discussions years ago where people stated they didn't like it.

It used to be quite popular. Makes me wonder why people buy it at all if it is that bad.

It used to be quite popular. Makes me wonder why people buy it at all if it is that bad.

Frankly, many of the 'older' customers are very rarely buying at this point. With that said. there are good things about the polish and the program, at least as it used to be.

For many those of us who are grandfathered into the skips, this is/was a huge draw.  There is no real downside to keeping the sub because you can get it when you want it and need not get it when you don't.  I am among the people who would not sign up for the program now because you can't skip now. This was a major draw to me in signing up, because I already have so much polish and don't want/need dupes.

The bottles are small, but the quality of the polish itself tends to be relatively good and consistent.  Every so often a member or members will complain about one particular polish but this is not a regular thing.  You more or less know what you are getting in terms of polish quality.

The customer service (other than for those trying to cancel) tends to be good or better than good.  it may take a while, but I have never heard of them not making a situation right when something arrives damaged or even if a customer complains a certain polish is, for example, too thick.  The worst thing I can say about their CS is that they do make you send pictures if you say something is damaged and won't just take your word for it.  I am okay with that though.

It was also a great/fun sub initially because it was one of the first polish subs (before rainbow honey and black sheep laquer and virtually all others). Now, though, they have competition. I do think a lot of the complaining stems from the fact that the competition is, frankly, better, at least based on what a lot of us want. The competition tends to be:

Cheaper per ml of polish.

Actually using fun finishes/colors/glitters instead of just using creams (mostly) and shimmers (once every 4 months or so) over and over again with indistinguishable reds and pinks every single time.

Seeming to care about retaining customers rather than just trapping new ones into a flawed program.

This is a little intangible, but I am going to say not quite so PRETENTIOUS. This might not quite be the right word but Julep seems to think they are the sun and moon, and we should all just feel grateful to be mavens and stick with them no matter what crap they try to pull. Something about their philosophy (at least like it currently seems to me)  is rubbing me the wrong way.

• Like 12