annatomical

100 empties in 100 days - Challenge starting January 2015

I've been watching this and I think i'm going to join in the fun! I don't really have enough samples or products to generate 100 empties, but I am going to aim for 100 things leaving my collection (trash/give away) and for at least 50 of those to be empties. I have 8 empties so far in the first 10 days, and 31 things that I have decided don't work for me, so they are out of my collection!

• Like 4

I've been watching this and I think i'm going to join in the fun! I don't really have enough samples or products to generate 100 empties, but I am going to aim for 100 things leaving my collection (trash/give away) and for at least 50 of those to be empties. I have 8 empties so far in the first 10 days, and 31 things that I have decided don't work for me, so they are out of my collection!

Nice progress! 

It has been a stressful past couple days.  Instead of getting antsy wanting to buy something new or just buying something new.  Instead I'm gravitating towards my stash and using what I already have.  Enjoying the things I already have is just as good if not better than shopping.

• Like 1

empties days 1-10

My empties for the first 10 days:

This is higher than I expected,but there was lots of low hanging fruit.

1. Clear shampoo -full size

2. Perfume Sample Card- sample card

3. Clinique Face Wash - foil

4. Clinique exfoliate - foil

5. Clinique Moisturizer - foil

6. Powder Cleanser - full size (trashed because I hated it)

7. Smashbox BB cream -sample

8. Origins Mask- sample

9 Paul Mitchel  hair serum - travel size

10. Racine Mask- single use

11. Sunday Riley Cleanser - foil

12. MUFE mascara - deluxe sample

13. Skiin eye cream -deluxe sample

14. DrJart BB Black Label - deluxe sample

15. Chella Blue eyeline - full size (why do I have blue liquid eyeliner)

16. brush

17. Mitchell and Peach body lotion - travel size

18. Embryolisse -deluxe sample

Edited by West Coast Beauty Addict
  • Like 4

Hey guys!!!

I'm here for my 10-day progress report!

The first 10 days of the 100-day challenge, I used up 16 items (8 full size, 8 deluxe/foil size)!!!!!

post-106027-0-77740300-1420957949_thumb.jpg

Items used:

1. Epielle collagen cleansing cloths full size (my favorite of all the Epielle cloths)
  2. Nude genius treatment oil foil sample (pretty nice)
  3. Paula's Choice Skin Balancing toner full size (holy grail hydrating toner)
  4. Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting exfoliant  full size(holy grail BHA chemical exfoliant)
  5. Philosophy Renewed Hope in a Jar foil sample (decent, but nothing special)
  6. Paula's Choice Resist C15 serum full size (HG vitamin C and antioxidant serum)
  7. Dr. Dennis Gross Hydrating Concentrate full size (wasn't impressed- stick to the ferulic + retinol solution)
  8. Josie Maran Argan Oil Light medium size (pretty great at sealing in moisture! But any facial oil will do)
  9. Sukin Rosehip Oil full size(awesome and cheap at TJMaxx)
  10. Ren Bioretinoid deluxe size(pretty much just rosehip oil with a bunch of plant extracts- stick to the rosehip oil)
  11. Goldbond hand lotion travel size (decent, but won't repurchase)
  12. Tarte detox mask facial deluxe size (pretty good I guess, but difficult to spread and dries out skin, next time would use as a spot treatment, but won't be repurchasing)
  13. Agave oil hair treatment tetra pack (pretty awesome, but then realized it's just full of silicones, won't purchase)
  14. Glamglow Eye Mud sample size (used 1 of the sample eye pods- pretty cool, but no discernable difference)
  15. B&BW Twilight Woods hand sanitizer travel size(a little too fragranced for my tastes)
  16. Acne.org Moisturizer full size (my HG nighttime moisturizer)

The problem with this is 8 full size isn't going to happen again for a while (I think) so we'll see, but I'm really enjoying the challenge of using things- and I'm getting a lot out of actually wearing my products instead of just keeping them around.

I feel more special too... like I'm worth it and like I'm getting use out of my money. I also feel good using things up, knowing that in the future if I see a sample of something I've used before, I know that it's either worth it to try to get that sample, or easy to pass on.

Too many times did I treat gifts with purchase like video game nuggets!!!

Now on to the next 10 days!!!

Edited by eastofthesun
  • Like 5

I'm late to the party but I NEED to join this thread... I have so much stuff everywhere it's driving me (and my boyfriend) crazy. We're expecting a baby in April and I need to clear out some space. I also have soooo much expired stuff I just want to throw away. I just might... and count it towards my empties because it's all about getting rid of the clutter, right? Not sure I'll be at 100 in 100 days but hopefully I'll be near. And that being said I just placed another Memebox, Sephora and Ebay order within the past days... :( I think I need to be on a no buy for the next 2-3 months.

This list is going to motivate me to use my stuff (and see how much I've got). Thanks for this thread!

Used up so far in January:

1. Sunbum SPF 50 sunscreen
2. Philosophy grapefruit scrub (loved it! :wub: )
3. Nivea SPF 30 lipbalm
4. Biore nose strip foil
5. Anna Sui bohème perfume sample (threw away, didn't like)
6. Juicy Couture Noire perfume sample (ditto)

Edited by avaisdancing
  • Like 3

Since my empty pile had been growing I wanted to see how I did the first 10 days.  

The Stats:

5 full sized items

2 deluxe sized items

17 foils

4 sample perfume vials

I know as I work through my foils my numbers will go down but I am feeling good about what I have used thus far.  I will continue to post my monthly used it up in the Offical used it up thread but will use this thread for my 10 day check ins for the 100 day no buy!

Keep up the good work everyone!

Edited by lovepink
  • Like 3

. I just might... and count it towards my empties because it's all about getting rid of the clutter, right? Not sure I'll be at 100 in 100 days but hopefully I'll be near. And that being said I just placed another Memebox, Sephora and Ebay order within the past days... :( I think I need to be on a no buy for the next 2-3 months.

Join us in our 100 day no-buy if you want! There are threads for it. It is never too late!

• Like 1

post-118421-0-69730900-1421000590_thumb.jpg

Here are my empties.

Two items in the picture (and a third item not pictured) were not empty, but they did hit the trash. Hitting the trash was:

Urban Decay 24/7 eyeliner in Stray Dog. I *loved* this eyeliner so much. Sadly, the pencil part came out of the casing when it was only half way gone and was unusable. :( Believe me, I tried. I will definitely repurchase when I use up some of my eyeliner stash.

The second non-empty hitting the trash was the Chapstick total hydration. Yuck! This was just too gooey and sticky to be usable. It got caught in the lid, attached to the sides of the tube, etc. It did smell nice. I would never repurchase.

An item not pictured that hit the trash before I decided to collect and take pictures was Renpure Argan Oil Shampoo. Major yuck! I tried to use it once. I pumped it out into my hands and it was sticky, stringy, and like slimy. Ewwwwwww. I could not bring myself to even put it in my hair. I promptly threw the whole bottle away.

Proper empties:

Avon Footworks cream: I was given this as a gift. It was just OK. Would not repurchase.

Yes to Carrots shampoo: I didn't like this as a shampoo, but didn't want to be wasteful, so I repurposed it into a body wash. It was just OK. I won't repurchase.

Up & Up polish remover: it does the job and is cheap. I have already repurchased.

Simpatico hand cream: I got this from a Popsugar box. It worked really well on my dry winter hands. I used up every last drop. I would definitely repurchase if I did not already have so many other hand creams.

Deluxe Sizes:

Jergens BB Body: This was not great. The smell was very strong. I actually think it had self tanner in it, even though it doesn't say so. It looks like a tanning ingredient on the list. I would not repurchase. I don't use self-tanners.

Whish Shaving Cream: I did not like this at all. The smell was not for me, and it actually made me cut myself every time I used it. I usually just use my body wash to shave with and I don't have this problem. I would never repurchase this.

Alterna Caviar Omega nourishing oil: Love this. I have another sample that I am currently using. After I get through my full-size hair oil that I am currently using, I will repurchase a full size of this.

Bobbi Brown Mascara: I liked the effect on my lashes, but it left dark smudges under my eyes. Would not purchase.

Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion: Just OK. Would not seek it out.

All in all, I feel really good about my empties for days 1-10. I will try to create as many empties as I can for days 11-20.

• Like 2

Posting my first empties of the challenge:

1. Loreal test foundation (FS)

2. Bounce cream face moisturizer -awful, stringy cream that often pilled on my skin, not absorbing. I used it up on my feet (FS)

3. Sheisado serum - love this stuff, wish it wasn't so pricey (DS)

4. Real Tree mini fragrance roller ball - liked it but the scent fades fast (DS)

5. Oscar Blandi conditioner, love this (DS)

6. VMV hypoallergenic toner and Ouidad hair gel (foils)

A good start!

• Like 1

First set of empties! (ugh, I need a better camera. Actually I have one, but I need to dig it it out and stop using my ipod)

Used up:

Lush Ocean Salt: I liked this scrub, but I want to keep searching around. It gummed up my razor when I used it before shaving. I think I like the soap and glory scrub better.

Lush Herbalism: I really like this in the summer when my face makes a lot of gunk. Not so good in the winter when I need all the moisture. I'll repurchase probably in the summer

Body Shop Honeymania Body Butter (x2): Quite possibly my HG lotion. I have eczema on my legs, so a good moisturizer is amazing. This is what clued me into the fact that cocoa butter works better for me than shea butter, so I'm still searching. Once I'm through my large stash of lotion, I may repurchase if I don't like anything else better. 

Benefit Triple Emulsion Moisturizer: Not bad as a moisturizer, but it's way too greasy from the SPF, which makes it not a good daytime moisturizer, which is why I bought it, so not going to repurchase.

L'Oreal Healthy Look Conditioner:  This came with my hair dye. It worked well to repair my newly dyed hair, I'd definitely repurchase the dye (and have before) because of this conditioner.

Tocca Bianca: My favorite hand cream I've used in a long time, and I like the scent. I'll probably repurchase, maybe in another scent for fun.

Burts Bees Mango: My HG lip balm for carrying around. I'll always repurchase, but I definitely have a lot of backups right now.

SeaRx Microdermabrasion: Got it from birchbox and it wasn't anything special. 

Prada Candy sample: Smelled pretty sweet, but not great on me. It's currently in a bowl of rice freshening my bathroom

Joan Vass L'eau de Cristal sample: Smelled really old lady on me, I used it to scent another room.

Catherine Malandrino Style de Paris sample: I've loved this both times I've sampled it. I might purchase it one day, but I do have other perfumes on my to purchase list first.

Total: 12

Running Total (for the 100 days): 12

• Like 2

Hello Ladies!

So I decided to use and abuse my stash - definitely not a bad thing.  I went after lots of foils and f/s items which were nearly empty.  Overall I am happy with my progress and I feel like I'm ahead of schedule.  

Rather than just using bar soap I'm using body wash - which I really enjoy.  I have started exfoliating and moisturizing more (face and body).  Also I am wearing more makeup more often without overdoing it.  Quite literally I am feeling better in my own skin!

I just got started on a new d/s shampoo sample and I'm just using the last of a f/s makeup remover.  With any luck at all I will be able to finish off the remainder of a f/s body wash, a f/s lip gloss, a d/s eye cream, and a d/s face serum in the coming days - among other things!  Other things like moisturizer are going to take me a while to go though that's setting me up to have empties for the bin in future weeks.

Since I started this challenge I feel like I am doing a better job of taking care myself and doing a better job of making myself a priority.  As a mom of two boys with a full-time job and part-time post secondary classes - this isn't always easy.  

If you'd like to see what I used and what I tossed feel free to take a look.  I'm not counting the things I tossed though I am writing them down and two foils count as one product used as per my rules.

1. Bare minerals purifying cleanser & moisturizer (foils)
2. Roger Gallet – body lotion & shower cream, fleur de figeur (foils)
3. Roger Gallet – body lotion & shower cream, fleur de osthmanthus (foils)
4. Origins Ginzing – moisturizer & Nano Blur (foils)
5. SriVectin SD Instant revitalizing scrub & FAB Ultra Repair Cream (foils)
6. Amika dry shampoo d/s
7. Indigena Blueberry Bliss sugar scrub d/s
8. Avalon Organics Peppermint shampoo f/s
9. Avalon Organics Peppermint conditioner f/s
10. Weleda Millet Nourishing shampoo f/s
11. Yves Rocher Oriental velvety-skin scrub d/s
12. Body Shop Olive Exfoliator f/s
13. LA Fresh face wipe & Masker-Aide All Nighter Sheet Mask (foil/single use)
14. Lise Watier Tient Age Control/Tient Age Control Supreme & Benefit Big Easy (foils)

15. Pacifica Sea Foam Complete Face Wash f/s

Tossed:

Nourish Organic body lotion – smelled like it went bad
Dior IT-LINE – irritated my eyelids
Bare Minerals Loud & Clear cherry beat – accidently went through washing machine
NYX butter lip balm (c/o Ipsy) – smells toxic
True Blue Spa – 5 years old, may be unsafe to use

Edited by annatomical
  • Like 3

Rather than just using bar soap I'm using body wash - which I really enjoy.  I have started exfoliating and moisturizing more (face and body).  Also I am wearing more makeup more often without overdoing it.  Quite literally I am feeling better in my own skin!

Same here! This morning I used a little more makeup and I do feel better about myself! I was being really lazy for the past months and basically just used concealer, mascara, blush and bronzing powder. This morning I've used all of those + primer, eyeshadows, eyeliner, etc! 

More empties for me:

7. Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair hair mask (deluxe sample, liked it, but not my fav. Will not purchase)

8. CeraVe Facial moisturizing lotion (sample, not impressed)

9. Yves Rocher Sexy Plus mascara (sample, good 'cheaper' mascara. I have so many to use anyways so I will not purchase it)

10. Benefit Pore-fessional (foil, it was a mess to use, but it looks like it might be a good product)

11. Rimmel concealer (full size, had to buy a new one because that's a product I use daily)

12. Origins GinZing moisturizer (foil, loved the smell and texture, I might add this to my favorites on Sephora and purchase it eventually... when I'm done with all my moisturizers!)

Edited by avaisdancing
  • Like 1

Empties so far:

1. Sephora scrub mitt (okay this isn't an "empty" per se, but I consider it used up.): It's nice in theory, but the elastic around the mitt was inconvenient enough that I didn't like putting it on/taking it off, which you have to do when you switch hands. Also, it got moldy. Also I got a salux, which I find more convenient. Would not repurchase.
  2. It's Skin Blueberry mask: First sheet mask I've ever tried, thanks to my SS :) smells sooooo good! It didn't turn my skin into magic, but I liked it. I want to try more brands/kinds before I repurchase any sheet masks. Would consider repurchasing.
  3. Exuviance Age Reverse Night Lift (foil): I have no strong feelings about this one way or the other. Would not repurchase because I'm sure I can find something that I DO have strong feelings about.
  4. Algenist Genius Cream (foil): Scented in a way that implies it's backed up by legit science without smelling like medicine. These psychology tricks are why skincare is so expensive, folks. Would consider repurchasing, but hopefully I'd find something cheaper.
  5. Cotz Plus tinted sunscreen (foil) I like the feel, but I doubt its efficacy. I used the entire 1.0 gram packet, which didn't seem like enough. It's tinted, so it had to be blended out more than a normal sunscreen. Would not repurchase.
  6. Versace Bright Crystal Absolu (foil): Not my style, but I could handle wearing it. Too floral, didn't last. Would not repurchase.
  7. Eva NYC Therapy Session Hair Mask (foil): OMG this smells like magic and I love it and my hair was perfect. I used it the same day I tried a new Ouidad shampoo, so the magic could be from either. Unfortunately I have like 5 years worth of hair masks to work through. Would definitely repurchase.
  8. AmorePacific Future Response cream (foil): Ugh gross, this smelled like rubbing mushrooms on my face. Not like delicious mushrooms, like the gross kind. Would not repurchase. One of the creams I tried was too greasy and did not absorb well. I think it was this one but I can't remember.
  9. Julep Luxe Repair Serum (foil): It's basically jojoba oil with some other beneficial things added that smell nice until they start to go rancid. This foil (I have many!) is Lot #5997700, smelled like canola oil instead of smelling pleasant like the very first bottle of this that I owned. One foils is way too much for one face, so I rubbed the rest on my leg. My skin actually does feel very soft today. I'd prefer to use plain jojoba oil because it's way cheaper and does not go rancid. Would not repurchase.
  10. Julep Luxe Repair Serum (foil): Lot # 5997700, smelled like canola oil. Used this on my other leg, and it's nice and soft today. I have sooooo much of this to use up. Would not repurchase.
  11. Ahava Mineral Body Exfoliator (full size): Received this from BeautyDNA, and used it whenever I wanted to feel like a terrible person. When people talk about banning plastic microbeads (link: http://time.com/2917462/why-illinois-banned-microbeads/), they are talking about this kind of product. It's obvious when you're using the product, but you can also tell by looking for "polyethylene" as an ingredient. You have google, so if you're interested you can look it up yourself. This is the only pleasant-smelling Ahava product I've found, but I still should have thrown it out. Would not repurchase.
Edited by TooMuchElectric
  • Like 2

10. Pacifica Tuscan Blood Orange Hand and Body Lotion Wipes (deluxe)

11. Lush Mask of Magnaminty Face and Back Mask (full size)

12. Kate Somerville Exfolikate (foil)

13.Bond No 9 I Love New York Earth Day (sample)

14. Olay Regenerist Tone Perfecting Cream (deluxe)

15. Lush Charity Pot Hand and Body Lotion (deluxe)

16. Gucci Premiere (sample)

Note...I give my thoughts on the samples I used when I post to the "Officially Used it Up" thread at the end of the month, so I won't repeat myself here. I tossed a few things over the past couple of days, but I'm not going to count it in my total. I have so many partially used items and samples that I should have no problem using up 100 things, lol.

• Like 2

5. Clairol Natural Effects Deep Conditioning Treatment with Aloe - meh.

6. Olay smoothing gel concentrate - also meh, it was old and sitting in my 'whatever doesn't go elsewhere' drawer so I finished it up.

7. Rimmel lip liner in Wild Clover - too short to sharpen! Loved this color.

8 9 10 John Frieda full repair shampoo, conditioner, deep conditioner foils - I like my hair today so maybe I'll pick this line up.

I am now targeting my almost empties and looking through what foils I have :) 6 more in my crosshairs.

• Like 1

Great job, everyone! This is so awesome, we are kicking our stashs' booties! Hahahah!!!! *karate chops air*

Note...I give my thoughts on the samples I used when I post to the "Officially Used it Up" thread at the end of the month, so I won't repeat myself here. I tossed a few things over the past couple of days, but I'm not going to count it in my total. I have so many partially used items and samples that I should have no problem using up 100 things, lol.

Good idea- I think I'll do that too. I'll just list them here and will post my thoughts in the 'Official Used it Up' thread. That way I can participate in both!

I like the idea that you and annatomical are not counting things you are tossing without using up. I think I'll do this too. I haven't counted anything I haven't used up yet. There are several things I want to toss without using.... some things are just so unpleasant... really stinks when you spent money on them!!

I have started exfoliating and moisturizing more (face and body).  Also I am wearing more makeup more often without overdoing it.  Quite literally I am feeling better in my own skin!

Since I started this challenge I feel like I am doing a better job of taking care myself and doing a better job of making myself a priority.  As a mom of two boys with a full-time job and part-time post secondary classes - this isn't always easy.  

You are doing awesomely! I'm so glad you started this use 100 things challenge!

I am also feeling better in my own skin- kind of like I deserve the pampering I'm giving myself, and even though some things are just 1-use, I am surprisingly seeing the difference some products really make! If you don't believe me, check out my FOTD today! Hahah, I didn't wear any makeup except lipstick because I love the things I used on my skin last night!!!

• Like 2

I'm so glad I joined this challenge!

I just went through my inventory and added up all the items (333, ahhhhhh) and then made my goal inventory and realized that it was just about 100 items less. (129 to be precise). So I realized that if I complete this challenge, I'll be most of the way to my goal inventory. Now that's some motivation!

• Like 4

I like the idea of listing them out now and going into more detail at the end of the month.  Here are my empties from the first 10 days:

1. Sephora by OPI dry drops (FS)

2. Dermologica Face Wash (Deluxe)

3. Dr. Hauschka Body Wash (Deluxe)

4. Beauty Protector Hair Mask (Deluxe)

5. Body Shop Seaweed Toner (Deluxe)

6. Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid exfoliant (Deluxe) 

7. Dr. Jart Dis-a-pore BB Cream (Foil)

8. Glamglow powermud (Foil)

9. Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer (Foil)

10. Paula's Choice Resist Retinol Serum (Foil)

• Like 2

So I thought I would never reach 100 in 100 days, but joining this challenge is really helping me go through all my expired stuff (and throw some away) and my foils/mini samples...

Here's what I used in the last 5 days:

13. Yves Rocher Exfoliating Cleanser (foil)

14. Kate Sommerville SPF Moisturizer (foil)

15. Kiehl's Midnight Recovery Concentrate (FS; I loved this product even if the smell is weird. Unfortunately, I 'lost' it when I moved 1 year and a half ago and just found it. It smells even weirder and I can't stomach it now. I had to throw it away).

16. Agave Oil Hair Treatment (sample)

17. Olivier Blueberry Soap (FS)

18. Palmer's Stretch Marks Cream (FS; I still have two other that are almost full)

19. List Watier Magnifix Makeup fixative (FS; used it a lot when I was doing shows but it expired quite a long time ago, so I threw it away)

• Like 1

What is this magical elixir? I'm all about hair products and would love to know!

I realize I forgot to answer you, sorry!

Actually, I'll tell you what it is, but to be honest, I read the ingredients and then realized I'll not be purchasing the full size and that the effects were likely temporary rather than restored hair.

It was the Agave Oil Treatment.

bb2.JPG

s1521731-main-hero.jpg

But I found out it's full of silicones, so I'm not going to repurchase. It basically just smoothed my hair and made it look shiny but didn't really do anything. But then again, I'm biased and don't like silicones in my hair or skincare routine.

16. Agave Oil Hair Treatment (sample)

I see you used a sample of this too. What did you think?

Some other things I've tried this week are getting me kind of tempted, though!

Fresh Seaberry Oil sample, Murad Intensive-C Peel sample, especially.

Edited by eastofthesun

Past few I've finished up:

18. Fortune Cookie Soap Co Hydrate Me! in I Pledge Allegiance, Amen - Full Size

19. Lush Sparkler Ballistic Bath Bomb

20. Ole Henriksen The Clean Truth Cleansing Clothes-Deluxe

21. Dr. Jart+ Premium Beauty Balm - Deluxe

22. Peter Thomas Roth Mega-Rich Shampoo - Deluxe

23. DHC Concentrated Eye Cream - Foil

24. Especially Escada Perfume Sample

25. Verso Super Serum for Eyes - Foil

26. DHC Velvet Skin Coat - Foil

27. DHC Deep Cleansing Oil - Foil